2018 NFL Preseason Thread

Bucky

Hall of Famer
NE, there is your big bodied receiver to play the role Decker was not up to the task to perform.

Very true. Sad part is the rest in this "copy cat" League don't adhere to the same philosophy as NE..

Flint

Mentor
The Detroit Lions have hired a GM and coach out of the Patriots organization. Did those guys learn anything? Doubtful, ex-Pat coaches have had little success, and it's no coincidence since they don't copy New England in personnel decisions. We will see with the fate of Zack Zenner and Jace Billingsley if Quinn and Patricia are going to go in the same direction as the rest of the league.

Rocky B

Master
Jets trade Bridgewater to Saints......I guess NO has little confidence in Savage and Hill....

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
So it has started. Every time I get sucked back in, even just a little and start watching more NFL than just occasional McCaffrey highlight, I get brutally reminded why I got out.

Same here backrow. I tried to watch a game while at a restaurant and was reminded. I believe there was one, maybe two white starters, including the QB on one team, Raiders maybe... and then the QB on the other team was black, so lost interest. and enjoyed my dinner.
So, I continue to rely on posters here to give me information on who I should try and follow.

Also, was in the gym tonight and one of my friends began to talk about the Aaron Rogers contract, and just to see what he would say, I said, " It's very difficult for me to follow the NFL when I see 19-20 of the starters are black." He said, "Well my answer to that is there was a time when most players were white." UGHH!
This guy is in his early thirties, so I didn't see a lot of hope?

Shadowlight

Master
Jets trade Bridgewater to Saints......I guess NO has little confidence in Savage and Hill....

Should have seen this coming. I have never seen a back up QB play special teams unless as a holder until the Saints decided to play Taysom Hill on special teams.

Now instead of a dynamic "Michael Vick" like back up who could have been thrust into the limelight if the Saints keep him Hill will become some "amusing mascot" playing on the special teams. The media will play up the "cuteness" of it all but in my mind a flashy white athlete like Hill playing QB and running around like a prime RB when plays break down just doesn't fit the narrative. The NFL on the other hand tries their best to groom black QBs to fill that role.

You will never see Lamar Jackson running down the field on special teams to make a tackle I can assure you that.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Curious move sending Sewerwater to the Saints. My first impression is that the Jets made out like bandits getting a 3rd round pick for him. Bridgewater seems to be a very poor fit for the Saints offense as run by Drew Brees. I can't see him stepping in and running this offense anything like Brees, his skillset (or lack thereof) is very different. I think he will quickly be a bust in the Big Easy.

Westside

Hall of Famer
Same here backrow. I tried to watch a game while at a restaurant and was reminded. I believe there was one, maybe two white starters, including the QB on one team, Raiders maybe... and then the QB on the other team was black, so lost interest. and enjoyed my dinner.
So, I continue to rely on posters here to give me information on who I should try and follow.

Also, was in the gym tonight and one of my friends began to talk about the Aaron Rogers contract, and just to see what he would say, I said, " It's very difficult for me to follow the NFL when I see 19-20 of the starters are black." He said, "Well my answer to that is there was a time when most players were white." UGHH!
This guy is in his early thirties, so I didn't see a lot of hope?
LOL. CS, your post was both funny and a sorry commentary on most White men's view of the NFL. Pathetic.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Should have seen this coming. I have never seen a back up QB play special teams unless as a holder until the Saints decided to play Taysom Hill on special teams.

Now instead of a dynamic "Michael Vick" like back up who could have been thrust into the limelight if the Saints keep him Hill will become some "amusing mascot" playing on the special teams. The media will play up the "cuteness" of it all but in my mind a flashy white athlete like Hill playing QB and running around like a prime RB when plays break down just doesn't fit the narrative. The NFL on the other hand tries their best to groom black QBs to fill that role.

You will never see Lamar Jackson running down the field on special teams to make a tackle I can assure you that.
Ray Lucas did this as the "4th quarterback" for the Jets back in the late 90's. I seem to recall Joe Theismann being a punt returner in his first season as a Redskin quaterback. It's rare but it does happen.

white is right

Hall of Famer
The Detroit Lions have hired a GM and coach out of the Patriots organization. Did those guys learn anything? Doubtful, ex-Pat coaches have had little success, and it's no coincidence since they don't copy New England in personnel decisions. We will see with the fate of Zack Zenner and Jace Billingsley if Quinn and Patricia are going to go in the same direction as the rest of the league.
Last season I thought Zenner was all but gone as he played sparingly in the 4 exhibition games. This season it's a similar amount of reps heading into the make it or break it game for the deep reserves.

One difference is a new coaching staff has little loyalty to a deep reserve.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Here's an article which portrays a way in which Ryan Switzer could have success as a Steeler. I will be happy if the Steelers "copy" the Patriots and utilize Switzer the way the Patriots have with so many smaller, very talented White receivers. Hopefully Big Ben takes to him, Pitt really hasn't had a good slot receiver in a long time, and Switzer of course is great at beating the defensive backfield on long throws too.

With Ryan Switzer on board, Steelers may challenge Patriots for ‘Smurf Power’

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.c...atriots-for-smurf-power-trade-news-nfl-update

MrPoon

Mentor
Last season I thought Zenner was all but gone as he played sparingly in the 4 exhibition games. This season it's a similar amount of reps heading into the make it or break it game for the deep reserves.

One difference is a new coaching staff has little loyalty to a deep reserve.
The smart teams like the Eagles and Patriots use 3 or 4 backs. They don't focus on one guy and it keeps them fresh.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Baker Mayfield looking really good for the Browns. It's just a matter of time until he's the starter. Only one carry so far for Zenner, loss of 1, no blocking at all. Haven't seen him since.

MrPoon

Mentor
Anybody else tired of hearing these over-privileged multi-millionaires whine?
Especially when a black guy dares to whine about how blacks are treated in the NFL!! Go have a chat with Jordy Nelson, Chris Hogan, Zach Zenner, Jeff Janis and get back to us Odell!

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Pampered and entitled affletes are the most clueless and biggst morons on the planet.

Hopefully some of our guys survive the white purge as teams end up cutting white players for other teams black scrubs. We see it happen every year.

Rocky B

Master
As mentioned above, Zenner ran once for -1 and is out of the game.....Hopefully this isn’t the last we ever see of him....The knucklehead announcers talk of the Lions maybe keeping four running backs, didn’t even bring ZZ’s name in the discussion.....

Rocky B

Master
I’m not getting the Bear game live, but I saw that Nall ripped a 24 yarder....It’s he and Mizell running.....

Just noticed he had a 32 yard TD run!,,,

Nall is a stud.....

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Nall and Kumerow have been my preseason standouts. Hopefully they've done enough to secure their jobs. Kumerow hasn't played in the last 2 games. But one would think hesh flashed enough big play ability.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Tim Boyle outplaying Deshone. Glad to see Hundley get shipped off to Pete's plantation. Seattle's 7th round pick Alex McGough is a better QB than Hundley.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Ryan Nall is a absolute stud. No one in hell he should get cut. I can make an honest argument he should be
their starting running back yet he is fighting for his life to probably sit on the bench or play on special teams. You
really can't make this stuff up. If he does get cut a lot of teams will be a calling his agent for sure. I say he makes the
team but gets buried on the depth chart so they can hide his immense talent. Only in the racist nfl would they do that
to a guy the needs to play and play now. The kid is a starter period!

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Good news LF, Boyle has had a stellar preseason, he also could make 53 man roster if GB decides to keep 3 QBs.. His situation is eerily similar to the way Callahan outplayed Hundley for 2 years but was never given chance over the draft pick.

As has TE Robert Tonyan hauling in his 2nd TD. If McCarthy still has his wits he'd cut Kendricks and keep Tonyan as 3rd TE.

Also in what could be a blessing in disguise, McEvoy was picked up by The Saints. Versatile player, Sean Peyton remembers him well when McEvoy threw a 40yd TD pass against the Saints on a trick play in 2016.