2018 NFL Preseason Thread

Shadowlight

Master
Can't catch a break if it landed on us. On the front end, the NFL draft, there has been some positive movement in the WR department. On the back end, when it comes down to trimming the roster to 53 things veer towards the bleak once again. WR Hansen is a clear example. Just an eerie disregard for him by the Jets.

I will name it the GRIM FOG. It rolls in every year and lays waste to countless white NFL hopefuls. I have also noticed an uptick of anti white media announcing. Every time a white WR ( which happens to all WRs) drops a pass you would think they should cut him on the spot.

And hell hath no fury on a white DB who happens to miss a tackle. Never mind that black DB play the past 5 years has been the worst in recorded history but when they miss a tackle, which is often, nobody says a bloody word. Yes folks white targeting has been on full display this preseason.

Down to some specifics. On the surface WR Decker looked like a perfect fit for Brady but for whatever reason ( Don above brought up some reasons in his fine mini Decker wrap up above) things didn't work out.

That said the animosity shown WR Riley McCarron by the local Patriots media brass is beyond disgusting. During the telecast the announcers and their goon squad studio clowns kept speculating on which WR the Patriots will need to pick up from another team. One didn't like the way McCarron caught the ball.

Trying not to be bias while not perfect I liked what I saw in McCarron. He caught four passes and headed up field with a noticeable burst.
Why deny a player with obvious upside and special teams talent a spot on the roster. 50-50 whether they keep him but then the speculation turns towards the idea his time is up once Edelman returns. Why on earth have Edelman return punts at this stage of his career?

I say keep McCarron for the year and I estimate if they do that they will be pleasantly surprised. Berrios is out as far as I can tell but look for him to make strides as a PS player and hopefully next year he will stick.

Bad break for the Charger's WR Cantrell. His minor injury will likely cost him a roster spot. He might not even get to stick with the team. Whatever happens his talent was noted and hopefully he enters the league one way or another if not this season then next.

WR Gentry of the Bears is on the bubble. Less than 50% chance but not out of the question.

It is a shame that the Bengals may not keep athletic QB Driskel. I say bad move. This team needs a different dynamic and he could provide that in relief or if Dalton goes down. Looks like they are leaning towards keeping Barkley instead.

It does seem that WR Erickson will stick once again as a return man and back up WR. Good player who they don't use enough. And the team likes DE Sam Hubbard. S Fejedelem will once again be on special teams but it annoys me they won't give him a starting job.

Dynamic back up Saints QB Hill looks a little Michael Vick like out there and the Saints may keep him. But what was he doing making tackles on special teams the other night, the same night he played QB? What an ******* and disrespectful move by the Saints.

WR Jordan Taylor of Denver had hip surgery so I have no idea what is up with his status.

Two key players to keep a close eye on. WRs Trey Quinn and Justin Watson. Right now it seems as if they will make the 53 man roster but with a week to go and the looming grim fog I won't rest easy until the rosters are announced. Both have obvious talent.

Might post again on the 53 subject as I continue to peruse the spreadsheets.

Last edited:

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Well, say goodbye to Ryan Switzer's NFL career as far as being used regularly as a WR. No way Mike Tomlin will use him as a receiver unless 20 or 30 brothers are injured or arrested. The only possible bright spot is that this may mean Griff Whalen will be Oakland's slot receiver. But I won't hold my breath on that one either. . .

Steelers acquired WR Ryan Switzer from the Raiders. The compensation was not reported, but it likely involves a conditional draft pick. Switzer started the year with the Cowboys before being traded in April, and now he is packing his bags again. Switzer will need to show well on special teams to earn a roster spot.

And just like Chad Hansen up until recently, Switzer was getting amazingly positive press and glowing praise from Jon Gruden. And now he's being dumped for next to nothing.

Shadowlight

Master
Shocking news. Right if Switzer doesn't stick as their return man this dynamo could be out on the streets. I agree I just can't envision ******* Tomlin carving out WR space for Switzer.

More bad news. Titans WR Campanaro has been injured this preseason and reports are the ghastly Titans will cut him.

Shadowlight

Master
I am turning into a gossip columnist with all this preseason speculation.

Trying to seek out possible good news UDFA LB Greer Martini might stick with the Packers. The downside? Kyler Fackrell might not stick.

Fackrell was a top prospect before tearing his ACL in college. His stock dropped and he never quite gained his form but I still think he is a decent enough NFL player.

Again these stories are going down to the wire but WR Kumerow has a better than 50% chance of sticking with the Pack especially if they keep seven receivers.

And in Buffalo WR Brandon Reilly is very close to sticking but with a game left their last WR spot it is still up for grabs. We need some of these guys to stick to help off set the recent rash of disappointments.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Well, say goodbye to Ryan Switzer's NFL career as far as being used regularly as a WR. No way Mike Tomlin will use him as a receiver unless 20 or 30 brothers are injured or arrested. The only possible bright spot is that this may mean Griff Whalen will be Oakland's slot receiver. But I won't hold my breath on that one either. . .

Steelers acquired WR Ryan Switzer from the Raiders. The compensation was not reported, but it likely involves a conditional draft pick. Switzer started the year with the Cowboys before being traded in April, and now he is packing his bags again. Switzer will need to show well on special teams to earn a roster spot.

And just like Chad Hansen up until recently, Switzer was getting amazingly positive press and glowing praise from Jon Gruden. And now he's being dumped for next to nothing.
From years of watching the NFL training camp waiver wire reports. He's being traded now because the management of Oakland knows that if he is going to be cut he will be claimed from one of the other teams as he is too good to be a street free agent.

As for the "Crawfords" I can't see him having much of a role early as he needs to learn his third play book in roughly half a year? It would be sad to see his career already circling the drain in his sophomore season.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I'm disgusted by this annual treatment of our guys who are being underused, cut or have had some untimely injuries. I should
be used to this after watching this game I love for decades but it still makes me just sick and very angry!

I hope some of these guys get a chance somewhere and don't give up on their dream!

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
White Purge 2018 is here. Nothing is really shocking as we all know. Whites get thrown onto the scrap heap while blacks are able to remain in the league for years as teams try to tap into their unlimited “upside”. It’s the definition of insanity - doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results.

Extra Point

Hall of Famer
I guess it's time for a 2018 white purge thread. Now's the time of the year when white players who have played well in preseason get cut in favor of black players who played worse. The NFL, where the best players play - unless they're white.

I'm waiting to see what happens to Kumerow, Whalen, Switzer, Watson, Quinn, Gentry, Cantrell and Hansen.

Extra Point

Hall of Famer
I guess it's time for a 2018 white purge thread. Now's the time of the year when white players who have played well in preseason get cut in favor of black players who played worse. The NFL, where the best players play - unless they're white.

I'm waiting to see what happens to Kumerow, Whalen, Switzer, Watson, Quinn, Gentry, Cantrell and Hansen.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Griff Whalen placed on IR today - the same day the Raiders trade away Switzer. Real disappointing.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
My guess would be that the Raiders "locker room" was very unhappy with three White receivers likely to play, with two of them being starters. Quite a change from being the blackest team in NFL history even if the rest of the team is nearly as black as it was last year. After all this is the team that apparently deliberately refused to protect Derek Carr because he wouldn't join in their anthem boycott last year. Gruden must have decided to "get with the program" before his comeback season was sabotaged before it could even begin.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
And now this. Jordy and rookie Kolton Miller are the only improvements from Black Jack's regime:

Raiders released OT Breno Giacomini. This is a good sign for the Raiders. Coach Jon Gruden initially deemed Giacomini the favorite to start at right tackle, but Donald Penn agreed to move there, rendering Giacomini expendable. Giacomini was the worst starting offensive tackle in football last season, getting absolutely annihilated in pass protection.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Hopefully Switzer makes the team as a return man - three teams over the course of a few months is ridiculous. Hansen getting next to no playing time has been ridiculous too especially considering how bad the Jets black WRs are. Easily the most frustrating few weeks of the year seeing our guys screwed over again.

sprintstar

Mentor
one thing that had me quite worried was the amount of hits Josh Allen took against Cincy because of his useless sumo O line men, if the coaches aren't careful he is gonna get injured.

backrow

Hall of Famer
So it has started. Every time I get sucked back in, even just a little and start watching more NFL than just occasional McCaffrey highlight, I get brutally reminded why I got out.

Rocky B

Master

As a lifetime Steeler fan I’m glad to see Switzer there....As a CF fan, I still like it.....
The Steelers need lightened up a bit and with Eli Rogers out for a spell, he may have some opportunity.....We will return kicks and get a shot in the slot.....Pittsburgh is front strong at WR, but not deep.....

Red Raider

Mentor
Luckily Griff Whalens injury is only turf toe and “should miss a few weeks”. I’m glad it’s nothing too serious but turf toe is not fun. I got it my junior year of high school while returning a kickoff and it never fully heals. Stills bothers me to this day if I kick something wrong. Hopefully he can make it back in a few weeks and crack the regular season rotation.

Shadowlight

Master
As a lifetime Steeler fan I’m glad to see Switzer there....As a CF fan, I still like it.....
The Steelers need lightened up a bit and with Eli Rogers out for a spell, he may have some opportunity.....We will return kicks and get a shot in the slot.....Pittsburgh is front strong at WR, but not deep.....

Rocky I agree it doesn't matter to me as well if Switzer stars with the Steelers or the Raiders. I don't like to see a player tossed around like a rag doll like Switzer. But if it works out I will be happy.

But there are two cliffs that have to be jumped over.

First he has to make the team as a return man which looks like it will happen but it is not a done deal. Have Tomlin teams ever featured a white returner?

The sweetener of course would be if Switzer finally gets ample playing time at the slot. Since Tomlin has never dealt with a white WR before I will have to see it to believe it.

Things could work out which is what we all want for Switzer. The question as to whether it will looms large.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Tomlin said he'll use Switzer both as a returner and receiver, but the proof is in the pudding. The Steelers do need a competent slot receiver, but whether Switzer will get a legit opportunity at the job, well, I'll remain from Missouri on that one.

Pittsburgh has been a hostile atmosphere for White receivers going back to the Bill Cowher era, the beyond disgusting treatment of Danny Farmer in 2000 being the most infamous example. Tomlin is an upfront "proud black man" and I don't see Ryan thriving here, hopefully I'm wrong and Switzer is at least used to unfriendly environments going back to his college program and then briefly being on the Oakland plantation (Dallas wasn't as bad what with Beasley and Witten there).

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I second and third those thoughts on Switzer. He is a competitor and a hell of an athlete. Hoping he can turn some
heads there and make them see just how explosive an athlete & football player he is. Would love to see him take a couple
of returns to the house for tds and or a few long td pass receptions! Let's go Ryan Switzer! Hoping they will be naming
mixed drinks after him later this season. People in Pittsburgh will be drinking a Switzer on the rocks! :)

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Pete Carroll finally done toying with WR Tanner McEvoy, he was waived this week.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Pete Carroll finally done toying with WR Tanner McEvoy, he was waived this week.
NE, there is your big bodied receiver to play the role Decker was not up to the task to perform.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Speed

Not sneaky enough?

No kidding.. 6'5 220+ with wheels. His SR. Year at Wisconsin was ridiculous. Was a factor at every position he played as a 2 way player.

Both him and Erickson have been stuck behind bums in their racial apprenticeship's!