2014 World Cup Finals - Part Two

frederic38

Hall of Famer
after colombia's victory against uruguay, a colombian fan was murdered in paris
welcome to france, lol

http://www.leparisien.fr/espace-pre...gnarde-place-de-clichy-30-06-2014-3963869.php

and in my city, since algeria plays tonight, the streets are getting prepared for another riot
cars are not allowed to park in some streets where the fans are expected to gather , there are huge number of cops and the trash cans will be removed from the streets

Thrashen

Hall of Famer

I believe the Grecian keeper thought it was going wide of the post, so he didn’t bother pouncing on the ball. It was a ridiculous error, for sure. Greece was fortunate to equalize Costa Rica, once again, with only 1-2 minutes to spare. I thought Costa Rica was a quality team, but their performance against Greece was putrid, even before the red card reduced them to 10 men. The announcers spent the entire match making excuses for Costa Rica’s “amazing” black striker, Campbell, who did nothing.

As for Germany-Algeria, the “Desert Warriors” are no push-over. These camel-jockeys have quickness, endurance, and resiliency. Hopefully, with Podolski out today, Müller, Klose, or Götze produce some quality goals. Also, it would be nice to see Andre Schürrle get some minutes ahead of Ozil. Also, Boateng is apparently injured again, but could start.

For “France” versus Nigeria, I find myself rooting for the actual Africans over the perma-abhorrent African/Muslim transplants masquerading as Frenchmen. Nigeria was the fourth best African team (after Algeria, Ghana, and the Ivory Coast) and benefitted from a gift victory against Bosnia. Germany should defeat either team, but I’d prefer the team with less talent (Nigeria) go through.

Matra2

Master
I thought the Greek goalie, Karnezis, was either a) wrong-footed due to the shot being mis-hit, perhaps towards the other corner, or b) he saw it late due to being blinded by a body in front of him. I guess I'd need to see some replays.

Just remembered the Greek coach getting red-carded for arguing just before my satellite went out. What was that about?

frederic38

Hall of Famer
Just remembered the Greek coach getting red-carded for arguing just before my satellite went out. What was that about?

no idea
maybe about the choice of the team that would start the penalty shootout first
starting the shootout is a huge advantage psychologically
only the referee knows what he said to him

foobar75

Master
Have there been substitutions for France? I'm seeing 7 whites, I believe.

frederic38

Hall of Famer
the first goal was gifted by nigeria's goalkeeper (another goalkeeper known for his reflex saves exposed on a corner kick)

iBp3onQhrH4QF.gif

and the second goal was an owngoal by a black defender forced by white players griezmann and valbuena

Matra2

Master
Our commentator said that Nigeria's goalie had been one of the best at the tournament. One minute later he messes up and France score.

frederic38

Hall of Famer
Our commentator said that Nigeria's goalie had been one of the best at the tournament. One minute later he messes up and France score.

classic case of too much importance being given to reflex saves
other examples are casillas, ochoa, and chile's goalkeeper
ochoa has been the most spectacular of the tournament but against netherland the first goal came from a corner kick pretty close to the goal, and one of his reflex saves was on a corner kick where he should have come out of his goal too
this is what i posted about him in the first thread after his first matches:

ochoa has shined but to be a great goalkeeper you need more than just reflex saves (see casillas for example)

Matra2

Master
OT Another vibrant Frenchman (Jo-Wilfred Tsonga) is about to take to the court at Wimbledon to play Novak Djokovic. He's had some of his best results at Wimbledon. First the diverse French football team. Then Tsonga. Then France's A Team (aka Algerie) against Germany. It's Diversity Day in sports for the French.:wink:

Matra2

Master
Mexicans appear to be throwing a national hissy fit over the Robben penalty.:icon_rolleyes: The Mexican defender made a stupid move - no wonder he plays in MLS, not Spain. Robben was going nowhere. Sour grapes from Mexico.