2014 College Football Season Week 4

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Taylor Heinicke is lighting up Rice. the Old Dominion quarterback has already thrown for 326 yards and 3 touchdowns … and there's still more than 13 minutes left in the THIRD QUARTER. this dude deserves more recognition.

edited to add: correction! make that 4 touchdowns and 344 yards with 11:00 left in the third quarter.

a wide open Josh Bordner corrals a throw from Boston College's scattershot black quarterback for a 48-yard touchdown catch-and-run, shedding a would-be-tackle by a defensive black in the process.

Last edited:

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Zach Laskey has 9 carries for 61 yards and 1 catch for 5 yards in the first half for Ga Tech.

in the same game, for Va Tech wideout Willie Byrn is always open. this guy can flat out play. he currently has 4 catches for 27 yards. fullback Sam Rogers has 1 catch for 17 yards.

I've been watching this game, and I feel the same about Byrn as well; the kid is good, and is very fun to watch. He's very quick, and frequently has made Georgia Tech defenders miss today when he gets the ball in his hands. Chase Williams is also a very rangy LB on defense for the Hokies. Who'd have thunk that the Hokies are actually a team to cheer for in the ACC this year??

In the Iowa-Pitt game, Mark Weisman has finally had a good game for the Hawkeyes; 22 carries for 88 yards and 2 TDs as Iowa leads 24-20 very late. At least Ferentz knows who his best back is, and keeps feeding Weisman.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Georgia running back Brendan Douglas had 8 carries for 47 yards in the blowout win. He's buried on the depth chart behind 4 and 5 star affletes. He should transfer if he can to another good D1 program to get the carries he deserves.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
It's great to see Weisman and Laskey both have good days.

I'm exicted to watch Taysom Hill for Byu coming up next on national tv. Hoping they can stay undefeated and cement their place in the
top 25 teams in the country. Let's go Cougars! No not the old ladies chasing young guys.:icon_grin: Let's go Byu Cougars!

I've been watching this game, and I feel the same about Byrn as well; the kid is good, and is very fun to watch. He's very quick, and frequently has made Georgia Tech defenders miss today when he gets the ball in his hands. Chase Williams is also a very rangy LB on defense for the Hokies. Who'd have thunk that the Hokies are actually a team to cheer for in the ACC this year??

Yeah Byrn had a good game.. and VTech has a pretty good receiving corps this year.

I like VTech's QB Brewer too. He threw a pair of costly picks, but looks good in a rolling pocket and showed his wheels again, running in a recovered fumble for a TD. Brewer's looking like an aggressive play-maker.. which is always a mixed blessing. I guess we'll see rest of the ACC season (?)

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
so i turn on College Gameday just a few minutes ago, and i see a HILARIOUS fan-made sign behind the on-stage talking idiots. today's set is on campus in Florida State, which makes it even funnier to me …

HAHAHAHA!!!

on a related note, Samantha Ponder had some really insightful (and surprisingly honest) comments regarding the Jameis Winston debacle.

JC, what did Ponder say regarding that moron Winston?

Hawkeye2

Mentor
Shane Carden and Tasom Hill are looking impressive today. I think Carden should be a first round pick.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Zach Zenner
23 carries 209 yards 3TD

and he only played the first possession of the second half. what an incredible talent he is!

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
JC, what did Ponder say regarding that moron Winston?

i'm paraphrasing, because it has been a long day since this morning, but she said something to the effect that the media was being disingenuous when they defended Winston as if he didn't know that his actions were wrong. she said he is intelligent enough to know right from wrong, and claiming otherwise does a disservice to the whole situation. secondly, she went on to say those who were arguing that too much pressure and too much of a spotlight are focused on him because of his fame and high profile are also being disingenuous, because they completely ignore all the benefits he receives from his fame and high profile. she said you shouldn't expect to receive all the glory and myriad other benefits of his status without also accepting the responsibility of the position.

she was very eloquent about it, but she shot it straight. i was pleasantly surprised by how forthright she was.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
despite being suspended for the entire contest, (In)Famous Jameis Winston walked out onto the sidelines of the Florida State-Clemson game tonight wearing full pads and uniform. after an ugly exchange, FSU head coach Jimbo Fischer made him return to the locker room and remove his pads. Fischer looked VERY annoyed with the ridiculous behavior of the shellfish thief.

edited to add: the story is currently on the home page of ESPN's college football page.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Loving watching his implosion. It is the reaction the media wanted to get out of Johnny Football.

icsept

Master
Devon Allen 80 yard touchdown. Ridiculous speed. I'm starting to reconsider my position that he should quit football and focus on track. He can't get hurt in football if he never gets touched.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Allens a phenom!

white is right

Hall of Famer
Devon Allen 80 yard touchdown. Ridiculous speed. I'm starting to reconsider my position that he should quit football and focus on track. He can't get hurt in football if he never gets touched.
It's a simple decision if he can be a 1st round pick through 4th round pick he should take football unless he feels he can be a world champion or doesn't have the heart to take NFL hits. If he becomes a late pick and he doesn't see a potential world championship career then it could be a toss up. 10+years ago John Capel gave up track and field for the Bears and was drafted in 6th or 7th round and was going to be a practice squad guy until he flunked a street drug test and was cut. He later went on to be world champion in the 200 meter dash. The money in football is much better unless you can be a world champion.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Some performances of note:

Iowa Mark RB Weisman 22 att 88 yds 2 tds
Ga Tech RB Zach Laskey 17 att 80 yds
UGA RB Brendan Douglas 8 att 47 yds
PSU Zach Zwinak 9 att 28 yds 2 tds
PSU Cole Chiappialle 16 att 35 yds

WR
Va Tech Willie Byrn 7 Rec 56 yds
UGA Michael Bennett 3 rec 34 yds 2 tds
Colo Nelson Spruce 13 rec 172 yds 1 td
Buffalo Ron Willoughby 4 rec 64 yds 2 td
Illinois Mike Dudek 7 rec 90 yds 1 td
Ohio Chase Cochran 2 rec 83 yds
W. Mich Daniel Braverman 7 rec 61 yds 1 att 65 yds
Miami Braxton Berrios 4 rec 43 yds 1 td

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
River Cracraft making affletic oregon DBs look stupid two plays in a row :icon_lol:

Riddlewire

Master
Cooper Kupp, Eastern Washington
9 rec 152 yards 2TD

in the same game...

Tanner Roderick, Montana State
5 rec 122 2TD

Riddlewire

Master
I've seen all I need to see. The book is now closed on Mariota.

In his entire career, he has never completed a pass to a covered receiver. He's all scheme, not skill. He will never win a game in the NFL.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
I've seen all I need to see. The book is now closed on Mariota.

In his entire career, he has never completed a pass to a covered receiver. He's all scheme, not skill. He will never win a game in the NFL.

Riddlewire I was thinking exactly the same thing. Mariota never makes a challenging throw into a tight window or is required to go through reads. He is a product of the oregon system just like Darron Thomas, Dennis Dixon and Jeremiah Masoli. The hype around this guy is all smoke and mirrors. Halliday looks like a better QB in this game, his arm talent is superior.

The fact this "dual threat" QBs still get all this hype as NFL prospects is beyond me. The past few years have once again shown that the NFL QB position is played at the highest level from within the pocket even with spread concepts implemented in pro offenses.

That non-call on that obvious PI is ridiculous. How could they miss such a call in such an important game. What a joke.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
What a relief that Florida State won. Wow, I can't believe I just typed that but here's the reason. If #1 Florida State lost with Winston benched, the entire corporate sports media and DWF loser brigade would tell us how great and important he is to the teams success. The White quarterback Sean Maquire would have taken incredible amounts of blame for "ruining" their chance at the National Championship. With the win, over a quotabacked Clemson team too, it shows that Winston is NOT instrumental to the teams ability to win. He just has a very strong cast of players around him.

Other points about this game. TE Nick O'Leary had 6 catches for 78 yards. He might be the best tight end in the country and should go high in the draft. At 1-2 now, hopefully the odious Caste-Clemson can fade into obscurity and stay far away from the top 25. What a wretched team.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
That clown dabbo swinney screwed over yet another white qb yesterday cole stoudt when he replaced him with the magical negro qb.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
While checking the box scores, I see that Minnesota won rather easily with only 7 passing yards! Not a typo. Freshman quarterback Chris Streveler didn't have any success passing but he must be one hell of an athlete. He rushed 18 times for 161 yards and a touchdown. But yet running backs remains a position 99% non-White....

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Minnesotas qb position isn't that great. It's a shame Nelson left the gophers and then got in all that legal trouble. Leidner is a great runner but is not a polished passer at all. I don't know much about streveler but to not complete any passes in a game is not a good thing.

A few other qbs that have disappointed so far are mcevoy and driskel.