2011 Preseason

dwid

Hall of Famer
Woodhead got the first carries, that is all that matters. Bellicheck knows what he has in Woodhead. Ridley has put up some good numbers tonight but hasn't looked impressive. He had a couple of good runs now that Jags 3rd stringers are in, and even those runs weren't that impressive. He has caught everything thrown his way but can't do anything after the catch. Mallet hit him right on the money and he didn't have to do any adjusting, just straight ahead running and got a receiving td. Some guy named Medlin just got a td which shows what kind of d he has been running against in the 2nd half. It took him a gaping hole to raise his ypc to 4. If Woodhead isn't getting significant carries in the 3rd preseason game then I will get worried. That is the only game that resembles a regular season game for most of the game. I think Ridley has potential as a fullback, in a role that they had Heath Evans in (Heath had way more potential though). Medlin looks more promising as a runner and he is probably practice squad material.

TwentyTwo

Master
How bout Bryan Waters! Reminiscent of Tim Dwight!

ESPN has shown O-Lineman Robert Gallery on the sideline more than anybody...what's up with that??

Happy for Tebow after nice throws...but ole Tredorko had to mention his sloppy 1st series...

foobar75

Master
Tavaris was named Seattle's starter for the season before tonight's game. I'm pretty sure he lost the job before the first quarter was over.
If not, then Pete Carroll is following orders from some entity only interested in promoting minority QBs.

In addition to this total absence of skills or qualifications to play QB in the NFL, Jackson also has a severe lack of command of the English language. Did anyone catch that brief interview on the sidelines? How can anyone in the huddle understand what this clown is saying?

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Nice to see Walters with that awesome KR for a TD! I had no idea the NFL preseason started tonight until I saw this thread. I'm looking forward to September 1!

TwentyTwo

Master
ESPN Top 10 Plays Today...#1 was Bryan Walters KO Return TD! #2 Was a sick catch by Dennis Pitta on the defenders back...#4 was the fantastic catch by Riley Cooper! Don't like the way he landed; thankfully he looks OK...

Chad Hall had 5 receptions for 82

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
For Brown University WR, Buddy Farnham, played both WR (3 catches for 34 yards) and safety (interception). Furnham was cut in 2010.

Here is Farnham's interception...
bos_g_farnham_b1_300.jpg

M

mattgianone

I didint see the game but Seattle rb Chase Reynolds went 6 carries for 8 yards. Not very impressive yet all the rbs had lousy averages including Marshawn Lynch and maybe they have a horrible line or maybe the preseason defenses are just way ahead of the more complicated offenses at htis point.

dwid

Hall of Famer
Offense = harder than defense, thats why coaches usually put more affletes on the defensive side. It takes longer for an offense to gel together. Offensive coordinators usually get a little fancier in playcalling (even though there are only a few basic running plays in the NFL, coordinators will spend hours and hours tweaking just the minute details), but playing against the run isn't that much different for the defense in preseason than in a regular game.

Chase was originally 2 att 6 yards, he got yards out of nothing, there was just no blocking, if he had gotten more carries he could have busted out a long run, Clayton the leading rusher was 10 for 11 yards before he broke a few big ones at the end. Thats a problem for some of our backs that have something to prove, its hard to do stuff in preseason when the scheme is all vanilla and backup linemen, bad qb play and scattered carries. Hopefully he can get some consecutive carries in the 4th preseason game.

New England obviously had their offense well coordinated and excellent play by Hoyer and Mallet. Espn is trying hard to hype up Ridley as a big fantasy pick up this season and also managed to put down Gabbert who was playing with receivers that couldn't get open. All after one preseason game...yeah no agenda there. Woodhead didn't get any press after actually looking great in preseason, 100x better than the stiff lumbering Ridley.

No mention of Whitehurst outplaying Jackson by a mile, just like Rosenfel outplayed him in Minny. This time it wasn't even close, Jackson has regressed.

Last edited:

dwid

Hall of Famer
Brian Hartline just had a 44 yard td catch. Kerry Meier had a diving 18 yard reception. Nice play by a White DT Mitch King, a tackle for a loss, I believe it was against Anthony Dixon, a back who some said would have a better career than Gerhart, last year he didn't do much and isn't doing much tonight either.

Edit: another play by Mitch King, a sack on the affletic Colin Kaepernick who just "has the mobility to escape pressure unlike Alex Smith". Jeff Charleston was coming off the edge with pressure and King hit him in the middle. I could live with a Saints team like this. Too bad not many Whites on the offense. Charleston almost recovered a fumble when they stuffed Kaepernick who tried to run. Colin has been unable to gain any yards with his legs, but he did have a nice pass to Lance Long. Alex Smith got no time to throw and was thrown under the bus by the announcers, his linemen were like turnstiles.

I know its only preseason but Mitch King is looking great, he is getting push against the interior very easily, they said he was "too small" and a "tweener", he isn't having trouble with getting push inside, 4 tackles, 2 of them for a loss, 1 of them was chasing down Kendall Hunter, caught him from behind after he gained 13 yards, and one qb hit.

A.J Edds looks fully healed from the knee injury that ended his rookie season, 7 tackles, 6 of them solo, 1 of them a sack and 1 qb hit.

Last edited:

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I watched a little of the replay of the Denver-Dallas game, and the Cowboys started 7 Whites on offense and two on defense. They had 4 White o-linemen, Witten, Gronkowski and Romo on offense, though the starting center Guroude is injured. But this still looks to be the relatively Whitest Dallas team in quite some time. Maybe Jason Garrett is changing the organization's "culture" just a bit (but not enough to enrage Jerry Jones).

John Fox on the other hand still seems to have the fondness for black o-linemen he developed during his last, unsuccessful seasons in Carolina. David Anderson and Kyle McCarthy were getting a lot of playing time, but that doesn't mean they will during the regular season. McCarthy played really well.

ALBINO RHINO

Brian Hartline just had a 44 yard td catch. Kerry Meier had a diving 18 yard reception. Nice play by a White DT Mitch King, a tackle for a loss, I believe it was against Anthony Dixon, a back who some said would have a better career than Gerhart, last year he didn't do much and isn't doing much tonight either.

Edit: another play by Mitch King, a sack on the affletic Colin Kaepernick who just "has the mobility to escape pressure unlike Alex Smith". Jeff Charleston was coming off the edge with pressure and King hit him in the middle. I could live with a Saints team like this. Too bad not many Whites on the offense. Charleston almost recovered a fumble when they stuffed Kaepernick who tried to run. Colin has been unable to gain any yards with his legs, but he did have a nice pass to Lance Long. Alex Smith got no time to throw and was thrown under the bus by the announcers, his linemen were like turnstiles.

I know its only preseason but Mitch King is looking great, he is getting push against the interior very easily, they said he was "too small" and a "tweener", he isn't having trouble with getting push inside, 4 tackles, 2 of them for a loss, 1 of them was chasing down Kendall Hunter, caught him from behind after he gained 13 yards, and one qb hit.

A.J Edds looks fully healed from the knee injury that ended his rookie season, 7 tackles, 6 of them solo, 1 of them a sack and 1 qb hit.

A.J. Edds played well last night and got a lot of playing time, did ya'll catch the "caste talk" praise he received ???? "might not be the fastest guy in the world or the most athletic but he's always around the ball and makes a lot of tackles," and I think I remember a "heady" or "high football I.Q." comment.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Lots of good white players have been making a positive impact so far. Lets hope for no major injuries during preseason for them either.

On another note they are hyping up Cam Newton already. Lets hope he gets a rude awakening tonight just like the proclaimed savior of the 49ers Kapernick did last night.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Jurovich had a reception for 17 yards for the 9ers. I sure hope he sticks as a fifth receiver. Unfortunately it looks like he's buried on the depth chart and probably won't make the final cut.

referendum

Mentor
Jurovich also had two nice tackles, one on special teams where he stopped a potential long punt return, the other on one of Kaepernick's interceptions.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Here are is a list of all the white receivers currently on NFL rosters.
I get 47 total. Am I missing anyone?
1.Brian Hartline
Julian Edelman
Wes Welker
Buddy Farnham
Logan Payne
Scotty Mcknight
Dan DePalma
Jordan Shipley
Ryan Whaley
10.John Standeford
Tyler Grisham
Eric Greenwood
Jeff Maehl
Kevin Walter
Austin Collie
Blair White
Anthony Gonzalez
John Matthews
Marc Mariani
20.Eric Decker
David Anderson
Chris Manno
Blair White
Jerheme Urban
Nick Miller
Bryan Walters
Sam Giguere
Riley Cooper
30.Chad Hall
Andy Fantuz
Dane Sanzenbacher
Tim Toone
Brett Swain
Jordy Nelson
Greg Camarillo
Andy Strickland
Kerry Meier
Charly Martin
40.Andy Tanner
Max Komar
Greg Salas
Danny Amendola
Tyler Beiler
Kevin Jurovich
Kris Durham
Lance Long

Last edited:

Riddlewire

Master
Tysson Poots with the Cowboys.
Had one catch in their game against Denver.

Zeke Markshausen with the Chiefs.
One target against Tampa.

Riddlewire

Master
So, what are the odds that Shurmur sticks Peyton at fullback tonight?
I'd say it's even money.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
So, what are the odds that Shurmur sticks Peyton at fullback tonight?
I'd say it's even money.

By "sticks" do you makes him line up at the FB spot once or more, or do you mean that he plays FB every play when he's in there tonight? If it is the former, it probably will happen. Coaches seem to relish putting White backs in as a lone setback and makes them start form the FB position, instead of the more logical TB position further behind the line of scrimmage.

Riddlewire

Master
I mean the same alignment as Vickers last year. On every snap that Peyton plays.
Hardesty is being held out tonight, so they might want Peyton to block for the smaller backs they have.