Mentor
Colonel_Reb said:
""¢ Coach Houston Nutt says Ole Miss offensive lineman Rishaw
Johnson has been kicked off the team after a "violation of team
rules." Johnson, a junior from Hammond, La., started at right guard
in the season opener against Jacksonville State, and started three
games last season. Johnson was also suspended from the team last
season for another violation of team rules, but was reinstated."
Wow, he must've tried to kill someone. I can't see Nutt-sack kicking an afflete off the team for anything less.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Well, Nathan Stanley has a hurt shoulder so Masoli is starting at QB tonight. Back down to 2.

Quiet Speed

Mentor
Well, New Miss has gotten its new mascot. It's a black bear!

<div><div style="overflow: ; color: rgb0, 0, 0; : transparent; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; border: medium none;"><div id="mi_story_detail_top"><div id="story_er"><h1 id="story_line">Ole Miss picks bear for new, un-Confederate mascot</h1>

<div id="story_bycredit">

By SHELIA BYRD and DAVID BRANDT</span> - Associated Press</span>

</div>

</div>

<div id="story_tools">
<div id="add">

<a href="http://addthis.com/bookmark.php?v=250&amp;pub=mianalytics" target="_blank">
lg-share-en.gif
</a>

</div>

<a href="http://us.rd.yahoo.com/my/atm/SunHerald.com/Education/*http://add.my.yahoo.com/rss?url=http://www.sunherald.com/education/index.rss" target="_blank">
addtomyyahoo4.gif

</a>

<a href="javascript:displayEmailForm%28%29;" target="_blank">
icon_email.gif
</a>

<a href="http://www.sunherald.com/2010/10/14/v-print/2556618/ole-miss-picks-bear-for-new-un.html" target="_blank">
icon_print.gif
Print
</a>
Reprint or license

<div id="txtResizeTool">
Text Size:</span>

<a id="txtResizeMinus" title="Reduce font size">
txt_minus.gif

txt_minus_fade.gif

</a>

<a id="txtResizePlus" title="Increase font size">
txt_plus.gif

txt_plus_fade.gif

</a>

</div>

</div>

<div id="tool">
<div id="toolbar">
<h3 id="toolname">tool name</h3>
close
</div>
<div id="tool">
tool goes here
</div>
</div>

</div>

<div id="story_">

<div id="story_text_top">

Some of the colonel's faithful staged protests earlier
this year and attempted to derail the search for a new mascot in the
last few weeks by gathering signatures to make Colonel Reb one of the
choices.

"I think it's hypocrisy. I think the fans of Ole Miss
still want Colonel Reb. We have a petition with 3,500 signatures of
students who still want Colonel Reb as their mascot and that's the way
it should be,"Â said Brian Ferguson, a 2007 graduate who is a member of
the Colonel Reb Foundation.

Brittany Garth, a student from Dallas,
said she wished the school didn't have a mascot. "I just think it's
kind of dumb. Why is our mascot a bear when we're the Rebels? It doesn't
make a lot of sense to me. That's why I didn't vote. None of the three
choices made any sense,"Â Garth said. Athletic director Pete Boone
acknowledged the vote "was an emotional process"Â and his department
would begin the long process of marketing the new mascot.
</div>

<div id="story_assets">

<div id="featured_assets">

<div id="cycleSlideShow" style="height: 228px;">
<div id="cycleControls">

<a href="http://www.sunherald.com/2010/10/14/2556618_p2/ole-miss-picks-bear-for-new-un.html#" target="_blank">
previous.png

</a>

<a href="http://www.sunherald.com/2010/10/14/2556618_p2/ole-miss-picks-bear-for-new-un.html#" target="_blank">
pause.png

</a>

play.png

</a>

next.png

</a>

</div>

<div id="cycleSlides">
<a href="http://media.sunherald.com/smedia/2010/10/14/22/20101014-230040-pic-374457781.standalone.prod_affiliate.77.jpg" target="_blank">

20101014-230040-pic-374457781.embedded.prod_affiliate.77.jpg

</a>

</div>

</div>

<div id="cycleCaption">

ASSOCIATED PRESS
This artist's rendering released by the University of Mississippi shows the Rebel Black Bear.

</div>

</div>

<div id="more_assets">
<a name="poll"></a>

<ul ="story_assets">[*]

[*]

<a href="http://www.sunherald.com/2010/10/14/2556757/ole-miss-reaction-to-mascot-change.html" target="_blank">
Story:</span>
Ole Miss reaction to mascot change </a>

[/list]

</div>

</div>

<div id="story_text_remaining">

"It's been a passionate topic and it's often evoked an emotional
response â€" right or wrong," he said. "Change is certainly difficult. But
I appreciate the passion from our people. They say indifference is the
worst emotion out there, and I don't think we're guilty of that."Â

Symbolism of the bear

The
black bear is connected to Ole Miss through Faulkner, the Nobel
Prizeâ€"winning novelist who penned "The Bear." In it, Old Ben stands as a
symbol of pride, strength and toughness. The tale of the "teddy bear"Â
originated with the story that President Teddy Roosevelt refused to
shoot a bear on a Mississippi hunt in 1902.

Earnest Harmon, a freshman fullback from Macon, said he's fine with the bear.

"A
lot of the guys on the football team liked the land shark just because
it was the sign our defense made after a big play, but the bear is fine,
too,"Â he said.

Though licensing of Colonel Reb's image ended this
summer, he can still be found on bumper stickers, lapel pins and other
merchandise on display at Rebel games. A variation of the colonel first
appeared in the 1930s in a yearbook. The image of the white character in
a wide-brimmed red hat and tuxedo, leaning on a cane, is believed to
have been based on a black man named Blind Jim Ivy, who attended most of
the school's athletic events, according to school historian David
Sansing. The colonel made the official transition to the field in 1979.

Jury still out on acceptance

Renderings
of the new mascot show the burly black bear wearing a blue sports
jacket for appearances on the campus and a dressed in a football jersey
or a basketball uniform for games.

Whether Rebel Black Bear will be accepted is unknown.

Roy
Yarbrough, a professor at California University of Pennsylvania who
consults with schools on choosing new mascots and symbols, said Ole Miss
could spend $100,000 or more for costumes, letterhead and marketing
fees.

He said there's still a risk the bear will be rejected,
citing the example of a school in Pekin, Ill., that once had a racial
epithet for Chinese people as its mascot.

They changed it in the 1980s, but it's still a sore issue.

"If no one accepts the new mascot, Colonel Reb could make a comeback,"Â he said.
</div>

</div>

<div ="spill_navigation"><div ="previous">Previous Page</div></div>

Read more: http://www.sunherald.com/2010/10/14/2556618_p2/ole-miss-picks-bear-for-new-un.html#ixzz12OoW8n6t</span></div></div>

Utterly ridiculous. Didn't Ole Miss used to have people in Confederate uniforms on the sidelines shooting a blank in a cannon when they scored? I remember seeing some old footage as well when they used to have something like a 30 yard wide Confederate flag before the game. They should reintroduce this, or at least the Mississippi flag!

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Why would we want a team with 20 black starters and 2 whites to have any association with the honorable Confederate flag?

Ole Piss is thoroughly and utterly devoted to racism and black supremacy in sports. That's why they suck year in and year out. How any white person could sit in the stands and wave a Confederate flag while cheering on DeMarcus, D'quan and Vonzell is beyond me.

The "Black" Bear is somewhat apt for this team of racists and losers. Having Al Sharpton, Louis Farrakahn or Malcolm X as the mascot would have been most appropriate however.

May Ole Piss be cursed and have nothing but bad luck on the field and off.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Borussia, whatever you posted isn't showing.

New Miss has made themselves a laughing stock, and deservedly so. What a BS "connection" between the bear and the newniversity! I know Brian Ferguson and applaud what he's tried to do over the past several years, but its a futile effort when the administration is 100% cultural Marxist. The outcome has been fixed in Oxford since the 1970s.

Since newniversity administration have rigged the vote again and now have "decided" on a negro bear, they have at least admitted their pro-black stance. Of course, you'll never hear the whole story behind Roosevelt's bear hunt in Mississippi when they decide to include the "bear connection" in the school media publications. The black hunting guide on that trip was a former Confederate soldier, Holt Collier. Yes, we have a black Confederate (a problem for a lot of revisionist historians) to thank for the "Teddy Bear."

As for the old traditions, yes the band wore Confederate uniforms, the cheerleaders carried the battle flags onto the field, they had Confederate "soldiers" fire up the crowd or fire a cannon after scores (depending upon the era), and they used to display the world's largest Confederate flag at games until the early 60s. That huge flag somehow "disappeared" from campus during the 60s.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Of course the cultmarx vermin at New Miss selected the "black" bear...it just edged the more fitting moniker of "Conformists". What a slap in the face to UM alumni & Southern tradition!
smiley7.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I happened to be perusing the New Miss recruiting board a few minutes ago and found that 2 White QBs are coming to Oxford. One is Chris Garrett, former LSU QB, who is transferring. He'll have to sit out until the 2012 season. The other is Zack Stoudt, a JuCo recruit from Iowa. It will be interesting seeing what happens with these two.

Garrett

Stoudt

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
In a stunning development, The New Miss D isn't a blackout anymore! S Brishen Mathews is currently listed as 2nd on the depth chart to a senior safety. If he keeps his spot, he'd be a starter as soon as next year. Although, I don't know with Houston Nutt as coach.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I'd be surprised if Brishen becomes a starter in Oxpatch. If by some miracle he does, he'll quickly become the scapegoat for any and all defensive troubles and the one to blame for everyone else's blown assignments. His dad is the head coach at UA-M, interesting.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Brishen Matthews is a wicked athlete. off the top of my head, i think he was the best athlete on the field in every game he played as a senior ... at least, i can't quickly recall an opposing teamthat had a better athlete. i watched him in person during the State Championship game (where he was named MVP), and he literally ran circles (on both sides of the ball) around the opposing negroes en route to leading his team to victory. i'm saddened that he and his 4.4 speed chose torun offto New Miss, but hopefully he will overcome Nutt-hugger's affinity for negroes. perhaps he canwear his hair in some afrocentric fashion or something. he's a damn good talent, regardless.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Jimmy Chitwood said:
Brishen Matthews is a wicked athlete. off the top of my head, i think he was the best athlete on the field in every game he played as a senior ... at least, i can't quickly recall an opposing teamthat had a better athlete. i watched him in person during the State Championship game (where he was named MVP), and he literally ran circles (on both sides of the ball) around the opposing negroes en route to leading his team to victory. i'm saddened that he and his 4.4 speed chose torun offto New Miss, but hopefully he will overcome Nutt-hugger's affinity for negroes. perhaps he canwear his hair in some afrocentric fashion or something. he's a damn good talent, regardless.

smiley2.gif

Edited by: whiteathlete33

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
6-2, 300? Dang, that boy is too short/overweight to be playing DT, even at Tech. But he probably "runs" a hah screwl coach timed 4.15
smiley2.gif
40 yard dash, so his other "minor" deficiencies will be ignored (because he's black) and he'll probably end up clogging up FBS middles with his ever-increasing blubber.

Van_Slyke_CF

Mentor
Colonel_Reb said:
I happened to be perusing the New Miss recruiting board a few minutes ago and found that 2 White QBs are coming to Oxford. One is Chris Garrett, former LSU QB, who is transferring. He'll have to sit out until the 2012 season. The other is Zack Stoudt, a JuCo recruit from Iowa. It will be interesting seeing what happens with these two. GarrettStoudt

An Obama-shaded WVU backup QB, Barry Brunetti, has said he will transfer to Ole Miss as well. He played only a little as a freshman behind Geno Smith. I'm not quite sure what Ole Miss will do with so many QBs.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Saw this on some facebook pages a little bit ago and figured I'd post it here for the curious.

Looks like one Mississippi State Rep. (Mark DuVall, a State grad and Democrat) wants to get into the business of college football and make Colonel Reb, Ole Miss Rebels, and the playing of Dixie permanent parts of New Miss. This is a great example of the waste that happens at all levels of government. So called "representatives" spending their time and our money on trivial matters while they let the big things that really affect "we the people" happen without comment.

I doubt this will become law and in the end it really doesn't matter. The school isn't Ole Miss anymore. It hasn't been in a long time. No mascot, nickname, or song is going to change that. In the video clip on this page, one New Miss fan believes the voting process was perfectly fair and should be followed. He's clearly an axe-
smiley8.gif
and a DWF who has no intellectual curiosity. The State fan seems to want Colonel Reb back more than anyone.

http://www.wapt.com/r/26593971/detail.html

Here is the official language of the bill as introduced by DuVall.

http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/documents/2011/html/HB/1100-1199/HB1106IN.htm

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
whiteathlete33 said:
Jimmy Chitwood said:

smiley2.gif

Brishen is defying the odds and he has been tearing it up in spring ball! He finished the spring game with 8 tackles! I really am excited to see what his tackle numbers will be like in the SEC. This guy has a lot of potential and he's only a sophomore.

S Brishen Mathews -- Mathews worked his way into the No. 1 strong safety spot exiting spring. He was a pleasant surprise for the Rebels' secondary and finished the spring game tying for a game-high eight tackles