2010 Nebraska Cornhuskers

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Yeah WhiteCB, I can't wait for 2011 either! I'm happy Nebraska joined the Big 10. Gonna love the rivalries with Iowa and Wisconson, and Ohio State a lot.
smiley1.gif
A lot of great games are going to be played. I'm also ready to watch Nebraska kick the crap out of Michigan and Illinois.

@WA33, I saw you updated the OP a few days ago. I was just saying I won't post any depth charts, just updates for you so you can edit the OP.
smiley1.gif

Highlander

Mentor
I wonder if they will stick to the "Peso" as the base formation on defense now that they are out of the Big 12?

I think the rationale for that was to more effectively defend against all of the spread-type offenses prevalent in the Big 12.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Highlander said:
I wonder if they will stick to the "Peso" as the base formation on defense now that they are out of the Big 12?I think the rationale for that was to more effectively defend against all of the spread-type offenses prevalent in the Big 12.

Great question Highlander. I think they'll use it this year, and switch back to a 4-3 base defense next year, when they get to the Big 10. Which is good, because Nebraska would have more white LBs that will get to see the field for them.

whiteCB

Master
Yeah I see Nebraska switching back to the 4-3 for sure with perhaps a wrinkle with a 5-2 or 4-4 deal too.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
In the next few years, watch out for Nebraska's white dual-threat QBs! The Cornhuskers already have the dynamic Taylor Martinez, who should get some time this year. The 'Huskers have secured the services of Bubba Starling, the best white dual-threat QB in the nation this year. After watching some highlights, this kid has some wheels. It looks like Nebraska's QB situation will be very good for awhile.Edited by: Jack Lambert

Highlander

Mentor
Super-affeletic recruit, Chase Harper (Tight End...scholarship, of course), fails to qualify academically. He did not complete the required coursework at his current Navarro Texas "College" this Summer.

http://sec.wltx.com/article/08qd30jdxa7td

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Even the posters on Nebraska's rival's website are aghast at his lack of effort on qualifying. Another recruit, (scholarship) RB Braylon Heard, doesn't seem likley to qualify either.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Time to offer Nile Knapp- to completely overfill this unacademic chump Braylon Heard's shoes Pelini. Except the PTB might accuse Pelini of supposed racism and say Pelini was investigating Knapp from TJR's post on CF.

"Come on Pelini, toughen up and do what's right- anyone can see how talented Nile is, but the white rivals just aren't looking."
Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Here's some news on Nebraska's QB battle.

From Rotoworld:

Nebraska coach Bo Pelini said that quarterbacks Zac Lee, Cody Green, and Taylor Martinez will all have an opportunity to win the starting job. He also mentioned that the battle may linger into the beginning of the season, and targeted the Big 12 opener as the time he really wants to have things solidified.

Lee is fully recovered from offseason surgery on his throwing arm, and according to WR Niles Paul, he's throwing harder than last season. Lee would seem to be the leader, but Martinez, a redshirt freshman, brings an added dimension with his mobility and is the mostly likely to steal the job from the incumbent Lee.

Highlander

Mentor
Good article on Husker senior WR Mike McNeill:

http://www.websterkirkwoodtimes.com/Articles-i-2010-08-06-170219.113118_Kirkwood_Grad_McNeill_Starting_For_Huskers.html

Of course, as a big-bodied White receiver (6'4", 230lbs) with speed and agility, he already understands (via caste-conditioning) what his role (if any) will be "at the next level" with this statement:

McNeill said he thinks he has a future at the next
level. After all, he has speed, size and great hands. </span>He said</span> </span>he will
likely play tight end or be an H-back in the National Football</span> League. Which means he will have
to bulk up again.
</span>

"I definitely think I can play in a lot of
ways," McNeill said. "I'm multi-faceted."</span>

Highlander

Mentor

Highlander

Mentor

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Yeah, losing Fisher and Compton is a blow to Nebraska's defense. Although I think Matt May is fighting for Fisher's spot.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Some updates:

Taylor Martinez gets the start at QB, and Sirles starts at LT. Ben Cotten starts at TE.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
So they are still starting 12 Whites? If so, that is good.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
No, unless May starts for Fisher, I don't think so. An afflete took Compton's spot I believe. They are still half white though.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Ok, thanks for keeping me straight Jack!

Highlander

Mentor
Wow, I'm surprised Martinez got the start. Hope he does well.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer

trackster

Mentor
Martinez was blowing past the secondary, and what made those highlights even sweeter was seeing Rex Burkhead make a nice run as well. Nebraska is joining Stanford and BYU as a top team to watch this year.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
For a summary of the updates for the 'Huskers, here we go:

QB Taylor Martinez has won the QB battle and looks to be a future stud!

LT Jeremiah Sirles won the battle with Hardrick

MLB Compton is out with an injury, a black is starting in his spot.

SLB, Sean Fisher is out for the year, but Matt May looks to see some time, even if he doesn't start.

Oh, and watch out for white CB Jase Dean, who should be a player to look for next year and beyond.

Highlander

Mentor
Jack Lambert said:
For a summary of the updates for the 'Huskers, here we go:

QB Taylor Martinez has won the QB battle and looks to be a future stud!

LT Jeremiah Sirles won the battle with Hardrick

MLB Compton is out with an injury, a black is starting in his spot.

SLB, Sean Fisher is out for the year, but Matt May looks to see some time, even if he doesn't start.

Oh, and watch out for white CB Jase Dean, who should be a player to look for next year and beyond.
Unfortunately, I don't think junior Austin Cassidy (S) played at all. He would've made a big difference against the run game. What a waste. Also, junior Lance Thorell (CB) is an excellent athlete who should be at least an immediate backup, but is not. He seems to only come into the game during Dime packages. What a shame. When a reporter asked Burkhead "who's been 'standing out' on defense?" after the first week of fall practice, Burkhead mentioned that Lance Thorell was all over the place, making plays. Given the treatment of Lance, I don't think Jase Dean has a chance to start...probably just "mop up" duty. Damn, that darn light melanin will bite you in the ass every time!
Edited by: Highlander

dwid

Hall of Famer
For all the hype that Denard Robinson and Pryor gets, Martinez deserves some credit. He didn't play the best defenses the past two weeks but neither did Denard. This kid looks like a star, he makes these defenders look stupid just like Matt Jones used to do. Burkhead is looking good also. I think Martinez has the talent to be 10x better than Denard/Pryor. The fact that he can actually break tackles to go along with his speed makes him a better runner in my book. All of these dual threat affletes, yet Whites are still the best, Tebow, Jones, Crouch etc.

Burkhead should be getting 3/4th of the snaps at halfback with Helu getting around 1/4th. Helu had once nice 50+ yard run, besides that he has been average, Burkhead has really outplayed him, with 222 yards of offense on 17 touches.
[TUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6k71WGKNA8[/TUBE]Edited by: dwid

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Does anyone know Taylor Martinez's 40 yard time? Dare I say he looks "Michael Vick fast".