2010 Nebraska Cornhuskers

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Here are the projected starters for the 2010 Cornhuskers. They started 12 white players last year.

Offense

QB- Zac Lee

FB- Tyler Legate

I-Back- Rex Burkhead (Won't start, but should get about 50% of
carries.)

WR- Mike McNeill

TE- Dreu Young

LT- Jeremiah Sirles - in a fight for the position.

C- Mike Caputo

RG- Ricky Henry

Defense

DE- Cameron Meredith

DT- Baker Steinkuhler

DT- Jared Crick

MLB- Will Compton

WLB- Mathew May or Sean Fisher - in a fight for the position.

PESO-Austin Cassidy-in a fight for position

Depending on how things work out Nebraska could start as many as 13 whites this season.

Edited by: whiteathlete33

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Nebraska moved Mike McNeill to WR this year, so he should start there.

Also Nebraska transition to a 4-2-5 defense this spring, so Will Compton still will start, and Sean Fisher is fighting Eric Martin (black) for the last position. The 5th DB in their defense is called a "PESO" an LB/S hybrid. Austin Cassidy is battling Eric Hagg to start there. Mike Smith got moved over to center during spirng, so either him or Mike Caputo will start there. Jeremiah Sirles is battling JeMarcus Hardrick for the LT spot.
The TE would probably fall to Dreu Young this year.

Also, Blake Lawrence had to quit the team last year due to injury reasons.
smiley19.gif
Edited by: Jack Lambert

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Oops, I forgot a couple of important positions for the 'Huskers this year.

Baker Steinkuhler should start opposite Crick this year at DT.

Dynamic QB Taylor Martinez and Zac Lee are in a battle with black QB Cody Green for the starting job. If you get a chance, watch Taylor's high school highlights. They are pretty impressive.

About Sirles at LT I think he has the edge over the black guy right now. Depsite what DWFs will say, Sirles already knows the system well, and will use that to his advantage.

Nebraska should have anywhere from 12-14 white starters this year.

Look for the 'Huskers O-Line to whiten up over the next couple of years.

Nebraska has been very consistent in starting half-white or more teams, and that won't change this year. The Cornhuskers started 11 whites in 2005, 13 in 2006, 11 in 2007, 12 in 2008, and 12 last year.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
What happened to OG Trevor Robinson? Wasn't he a starter last year?

I've followed him ever since he was highly-rated (along with Baker Steinkuhler - who was listed as an "OL" btw) on Rivals, and I'm curious as to what happened to him. Injury?

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Deadlift, these are the starters from 2009.

Offense

QB Zac Lee

RB Rex Burkhead - splits carries

FB Tyler Legate

TE Dreu Young

TE Mike McNeill

LT Mike Smith

C Jacob Hickman

RG Ricky Henry

Defense

DT Jared Crick

SLB Sean Fisher

MLB Will Compton

FS Matt O'Hanlon

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Yeah Deadlift, usually any instate guy who is considered by the recruiting sites as a BCS caliber althlete usually go to Nebraska.

Nebraska has a lot of white starters this year who are from Nebraska.

C- Mike Caputo (If he starts)
FB- Tyler Legate
DT- Jared Crick
DT- Baker Steinkuhler
TE- Dreu Young
WLB- Sean Fisher
PESO- Austin Cassidy (if he starts)
RG- Ricky Henry
PK/P- Alex Henry

They also have Niles Paul (black) starting WR this year.

From looking, over two thirds of Nebraska's roster looks to be local guys from Nebraska. The Cornhuskers are great at recruiting the state of Nebraska for stars.Edited by: Jack Lambert

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
If they start Baker Steinkuhler and Crick, that will be one of the tallest interior DLs in the whole FBS!!

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Deadlift said:
If they start Baker Steinkuhler and Crick, that will be one of the tallest interior DLs in the whole FBS!!

Yeah it would be. Steinkuhler will be the starter at the other DT spot next to Crick this year.
smiley1.gif
Expect a lot of batted passes from these two this year!

Both of these guys are tall, lean athletic men, not some short sumos.

Even though it'll come down to fall camp, I think Fisher will start at the WLB spot. All the DWFs seem to love Martin, but the coaches said Fisher had one of the best springs of any LB. Fisher is also very smart, he maintains a solid 4.0 GPA.
smiley32.gif

Highlander

Mentor
I think Fisher (White) will start too, but I'm starting to think that Whaley (Black) will start ahead of Compton (White). Either way, both Fisher and Compton will see a lot of playing time. Same with Matthew May (White).

Barring injury, the Peso position will go to Hagg (Black, Senior) this year. It's Cassidy's (White, Junior) to lose next year.

That gives them 4 on defense.

On offense, I think Zac will eventually win out against Green, to the dismay of the DWF's. It'll be close though and depends on how well he recovers from his injury. Too bad he had to sit out spring ball. That doesn't help his cause. I agree that it will be difficult to keep Martinez (White) off the field with his incredible speed. If he can upgrade his passing some and get some experience, he will battle Green next year for the starting position.

Henry, Caputo and Smith should start on the OL. I think Kyler Reed (mixed) will give Dreu Young (White) a run for his money at TE. McNeill should ultimately be second at WR after Paul. Rex and Roy will battle it out at RB, probably co-#1's.

That gives them 6-7 on offense.

There's still a lot to be determined in Fall camp.

Come September, I believe they'll have as few as 10 and as many as 12 starters.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Yeah, I think Hagg will win the role this year. However, Compton has voiced that he wants to step up and be the leader of the defense this year, so I think Will will start at MLB.

I forgot about Reed, and it doesn't help that Young was out for part of spring ball either.

Highlander

Mentor
True, I forgot that Dreu was out this Spring too...and Reed had a real good Spring...could go either way. I wonder what LB role the Peso replaces. Is there really a MLB anymore in this new scheme?

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Highlander said:
True, I forgot that Dreu was out this Spring too...and Reed had a real good Spring...could go either way.  I wonder what LB role the Peso replaces.  Is there really a MLB anymore in this new scheme?

If I remember right, the Peso replaces the Buck Linebacker spot. The two left would be the Mike Linebacker and the Will Linebacker. It's very confusing, so I'm not sure myself.
smiley1.gif
But I do know the Mike is still one of the LBs, and I think the Will is the other one.

I do remember that Nebraska has about 3 or 4 TEs in the competition, but I'm sure it's coming down to Reed or Young.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Here is a new depth chart I found for Nebraska. It's on the same sight where WA33 got the original depth chart, but it's been updated to a full preview. It's the newest one I could find, but it'll be interesting as to how things shake out in Lincoln over the summer. Anyway, here are the whites that they have starting.

Offense
QB- Taylor Martinez
FB- Tyler Legate
I-Back- Rex Burkhead - around 50% of carries
WR- Mike McNeill
TE- Ben Cotton
LT- Jeremiah Sirles
C- Mike Caputo
RG- Ricky Henry

Defense
DE- Cameron Meredith
DT- Baker Steinkuhler
DT- Jared Crick
MLB- Will Compton
FS- Austin Cassidy

I'm not sure about May, though, as I think Fisher(white) and Eric Martin(black) are the two battling it out. May should still see a bunch of time, though.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Crick is a dadgum ol' stud. I hope he tears it up & surpasses Suh's #s for TFLs & sacks this season. Him & Steikuhler are some hosses at DT.
smiley14.gif

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I wonder how many Steinkuhlers have played at Nebraska. I know there's been a number of them. First one i remember is Dean, who was the second overall pick of the '84 NFL draft. The Steinkuhlers areone of the best family legacies in college football.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
A white walk-on? You don't say. At least Nebraska gives their white walk-ons a good chance to compete with the mandatory "scholarship" athletes that every school brings in.

I managed to find a more accurate projection from an accurate source on Nebraska's (and any school's) starters. Since Pelini never releases any spring depth charts, the most we can do is speculate. This a better than the website WA33 and I used for the previous lists. Updated white starters for Nebraska:

Offense
QB- Zac Lee
IB- Rex Burkhead (Won't start, but should get about 50% of carries.)
FB- Tyler Legate
WR- Mike McNeill
TE- Dreu Young
LT Jeremiah Sirles - in a fight for the position.
C- Mike Smith or Mike Caputo
RG- Ricky Henry

Defense
DE- Cameron Meredith
DT- Jared Crick
DT- Baker Steinkuhler
MLB- Will Compton
WLB- Sean Fisher - in a fight for the position.

Nebraska has a lot of white backups that should get PT this year. True Freshman DL Chase Rome should see some time, LBs Mathew May and maybe Matt Holt should get a lot of time. DBs Austin Cassidy and hopefully, Lance Thorell both should see time in Nebraska's talented secondary this year.

On Offense, lineman Brandon Thompson and Brent Qvale (brother of Montana Grizz basketball player Brian) should see time if injury occurs at guard. White TE's Ryan Hill and Ben Cotton should be playing this year. Dynamic QB Taylor Martinez will see the field in some aspect this year.

If Crick does pass Suh's numbers from last year, how much Heiseman hype do you think Crick will get?

whiteCB

Master
Mr. Lambert could you please just edit the original starting line up you wrote to accommodate for all the changes made. It would be more convenient than to have to scroll down the page looking for the correct line up. Thanks.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
No problem WhiteCB, sorry bout that.
smiley1.gif

I'll just post updates from now on, and let WA33 update the starting post.Edited by: Jack Lambert

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
On the topic of how many Steinkuhlers have played for Nebraska, I know there's been Dean, Ty, and now Baker. If anyone else knows more, please post them.

whiteCB

Master
Jack Lambert said:
No problem WhiteCB, sorry bout that.
smiley1.gif

I'll just post updates from now on, and let WA33 update the starting post.

Thanks man. Trust me I am not trying to nitpick because you've really put in a lot of time and work into theses lineups and I know how much energy goes into just one team's starting lineup. Great work to you and everyone else doing these...you work is very appreciated!!!

Also Congratulations to the Nebraska Cornhuskers on becoming the newest member of the Big 10 conference!! It's great to have a strong white program on board and competing against the likes of Iowa, Wisconsin, and Ohio State year in and year out. Cannot wait for 2011!Edited by: whiteCB