2010 Nebraska Cornhuskers

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Martinez is almost a Crouch clone. I think he has about an inch or two on Eric and he might have a better arm. But damn are Nebraska fans going to love him throughout the next few years!! He's one hell of an athlete. Scout listed Martinez's 40 as a 4.5 flat coming out of high school.http://scoutcombines.scout.com/a.z?s=450&p=8&c=1&nid=3513185

Westside

Hall of Famer
Dwid, thanks for the vid, this Martinez kid appears to be the real deal. I'm glad to see Brikhead picking up where he left off of last year.

On a side note, alot of the guys were wondering what happened to you. Glad you still here!!!

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Nebraska defense given black shirts

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5609157

LINCOLN, Neb. -- Nebraska's defense has earned its Blackshirts.

Coach
Bo Pelini said he handed out 12 black practice jerseys Thursday to
recognize the key players on his defense. The black jerseys are a
Nebraska tradition that has come to symbolize defensive excellence.

Previously, Pelini waited until October or
even November to hand out the black jerseys because he believes it's an
honor players have to earn. He said this week felt like the right time
this year.

Nebraska has allowed an average of 16 points this year
and ranks 24th nationally in scoring defense. The Blackshirts also have
grabbed eight interceptions to rank second nationally.

The No. 6 Huskers are preparing for one final tuneup against South Dakota State on Saturday before starting Big 12 play.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Well, after the blackshirts gave up over 100 rushing yards to Kyle Minnet of SDSU, and giving a career day to Western Kentucky's RB early in the year, some fans are wondering about our rush defense. Some people have put the blame on our LBs. Since Pelini came, he has been recruiting small and fast LBs. (read:black.) With Fisher and Compton (white) out, the LBs aren't doing very well this year. Even though the 'Huskers D-Line also seemed to be getting blown off the ball at points, the LBs wouldn't step up. Lavonte David (black) had a great game, with 19 stops, but Eric Martin and Alonzo leave something to be desired. I think Compton will replace whoevers starting when he gets back from injury.

From message boards, some people are saying the Cornhuskers are going to get killed against Kansas State if we don't start 3 LBs.

Highlander

Mentor
Jack Lambert said:
Well, after the blackshirts gave up over 100 rushing yards to Kyle Minnet of SDSU, and giving a career day to Western Kentucky's RB early in the year, some fans are wondering about our rush defense. Some people have put the blame on our LBs. Since Pelini came, he has been recruiting small and fast LBs. (read:black.) With Fisher and Compton (white) out, the LBs aren't doing very well this year. Even though the 'Huskers D-Line also seemed to be getting blown off the ball at points, the LBs wouldn't step up. Lavonte David (black) had a great game, with 19 stops, but Eric Martin and Alonzo leave something to be desired. I think Compton will replace whoevers starting when he gets back from injury.

From message boards, some people are saying the Cornhuskers are going to get killed against Kansas State if we don't start 3 LBs.
Like I wrote in an earlier post this year..."Will Nebraska keep the 'Peso' position when they move to the Big Ten?" The whole reason for creating the "Peso" position and formation was to help better defend against the spread offenses prevalent in the Big 12. Any team that tries to stock their LB corps with smaller and "faster" LBs and then actually remove one of them and create a DB position out of it called "Peso", to indicate a fifth DB, can be countered by a team with a good offensive line and a big and powerful RB that runs straight at 'em. Hmmm, Big Ten, anyone? How about Iowa vs. Georgia Tech, South Carolina, or Florida, and beating all of them in their last recent bowl games?

If SDSU can do this to them, the Pelini bros are going to find out real quick that you'll need three good size, very strong and "quick" LBs to defense that...especially in the Big 10. A good 10-yard dash time is much more important than a 40-yard dash time for a LB and is a better indicator of "quickness". It's ridiculous that Junior Safety/Peso player Austin Cassidy hasn't played a single minute on defense yet this season...only special teams. He's better against the run and can lay a mean lick like he's shown when covering kickoffs. Lavonte David has proven he's starting material with his play. That can't be denied. But where were the Nebraska recruiters when SDSU stud linebacker Derek Domino was looking for a school to play for? He was in Nebraska's face all night yesterday, collecting 16 total tackles, two of them for losses and getting one INT. Oh, that's right, they were too busy recruiting the "real" athletes in Texas, Florida, and California. I almost forgot.

icsept

Master
Fox Sports article on Taylor Martinez by Thayer Evans: confirms Martinez' ethnicity. Taylor's father, Casey Martinez, despite the surname is not hispanic. He is German, Irish, French, he was adopted and his surname comes from his mother's second husband.

snow

Mentor
I figured he had some Irish in him by the way his ears looked. This can shut up all of the mexicans who keep trying to claim him

and those who speculated he was part Samoan because of his tattoo

"Taylor hasn't spoken with his biological mother in 7 1/2 years and
considers his stepmother to be his mother. A week before fall practice
began this season, he got a large Samoan tattoo on his left arm in honor
of her."

Here is the link to the webpage
http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/nebraska-quarterback-taylor-martinez-has-magic-touch-101510

"says Casey Martinez, who despite his surname is not Hispanic. Casey was
adopted and his surname comes from his mother's second husband. Taylor's
heritage is German, Irish and French
."
Edited by: snow

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
"I figured he had some Irish in him by the way his ears looked"

Haha me and my brother both have those same ears.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
I guess some good news for the 'Huskers in the loss today is that I saw Will Compton playing again today!
smiley1.gif

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Just a quick update on Nebraska.

Will Compton is back and playing for the 'Huskers. Due to Nebraska's safties inability to tackle for the last few games, they benched their two starters their and promoted two more, including Austin Cassidy, who I believe made the start at FS, and excelled there. Cassidy has bought himself another start at the least, and should keep the job if he continues to excell. I noticed a walk-on DE, Kevin Thomsen, playing some snaps for Nebraska as well. Sean Fisher should be back playing again next year when he recovers from injury. WR Tim Marlowe has also been in for a few plays each game.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
After looking like a reincarnation of Woody Hayes during the Texas A&M game, Pelini apoligized for it Today.

Without a completely healthy Martinez, Nebraska's zone read offense stalls time and time again. I don't get why they don't go back the the I-Formation. When they ran it against Texas A&M, Burkhead and Helu both did really good running the ball. I'd rather see the I-Formation against Colorado, - run it up the middle, pass sometimes, and wear them out.

I updated the depth chart I have on the first page.Edited by: Jack Lambert

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Bubba Starling (who FootballDad has already posted about) was a dual threat QB in high school, running for 2,377 yards in his senior season. He has committed to Nebraska and is listed at 6-5, 193, and as an Athlete (4.5 40). It will be interesting to see which position he ends up playing.

Starling

Edited by: Colonel_Reb

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
For those who haven't seen a video of Starling, here is one of his highlight videos. He is also a stud baseball player, and may be an early-round pick by MLB.

[TUBE]wMpPbXkMUYE[/TUBE]

Highlander

Mentor
Colonel_Reb said:
Bubba Starling (who FootballDad has already posted about) was a dual threat QB in high school, running for 2,377 yards in his senior season. He has committed to Nebraska and is listed at 6-5, 193, and as an Athlete (4.5 40). It will be interesting to see which position he ends up playing.

Starling
They also recruited a couple of black quarterbacks. The only other Offensive position I can see him playing, given his measurables, is WR, but I can't imagine his numbers being very good there, considering who'd be throwing to him. They'd be crazy not to play him at QB and it'd be a waste of his talents to play any other position on Offense. With the amount of money he's projected to receive after the MLB draft, I doubt he'll end up playing college football at all, but I could be wrong.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Highlander said:
Colonel_Reb said:
Bubba Starling (who FootballDad has already posted about) was a dual threat QB in high school, running for 2,377 yards in his senior season. He has committed to Nebraska and is listed at 6-5, 193, and as an Athlete (4.5 40). It will be interesting to see which position he ends up playing. Starling
They also recruited a couple of black quarterbacks.  The only other Offensive position I can see him playing, given his measurables, is WR, but I can't imagine his numbers being very good there, considering who'd be throwing to him.  They'd be crazy not to play him at QB and it'd be a waste of his talents to play any other position on Offense.  With the amount of money he's projected to receive after the MLB draft, I doubt he'll end up playing college football at all, but I could be wrong.

I've heard he really wants to play for Nebraska though, and has a good relationship with Sean Watson and Bo Pelini.