2009 Boise State Broncos

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
The Broncos have gotten blacker over the last few years but seems to have almost leveled off in 2009. Let's hope these numbers go up next year!

Offense
QB Kellen Moore
FB Richie Brockel
WR(H) Tyler Shoemaker
TE Tommy Gallarda
LT Matt Slater
RG Kevin Sapien
RT Michael Ames

Defense
WLB Aaron Tevis or J.C. Percy
E Ryan Winterswyk
E Shae McClellin
NT Chase Baker

Edited by: Colonel_Reb

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Boise State likely to increase recruiting efforts in D.C. area:

<H1 id=storyTitle>Daily Debate: Boise State football could plant seeds in D.C.'s fertile recruiting area</H1>

Weekend observations from the Idaho Statesman's national sports guru John Shifflett.

STATE OF PLAY

The positives that will come from Boise State's 2010 game with Virginia Tech in Washington, D.C., are numerous. It's a high-profile game against a BCS conference opponent in a mammoth NFL stadium that will likely be on national TV and comes with a hefty payday. On top of that, it also gives the Broncos expanded exposure in one of the nation's best recruiting areas.

Virginia, Maryland and Washington, D.C., consistently crank out top-tier college football players. Players like Michael Vick, Chris Long and Percy Harvin to name a few. One of the main reasons Virginia Tech is a perennial power is because it recruits its home turf so well. According to a Sports Illustrated report, 44 percent of the Hokies' players came from within 200 miles of their campus from 2004-08. They won 52 games in that stretch.

In terms of recruiting, the Broncos are quickly becoming a national program and already have several players from the eastern U.S., including standout defensive back Kyle Wilson. A strong showing in Washington against the Hokies could leave a lasting impression in the area and help the Broncos lure a recruit or two to Boise.
http://www.idahostatesman.com/boisestatefootball/story/846467.html

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
We all know what this means...

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
finally!after all these years of being awful, Boise State will be able to win games! and play exciting football! with "real" athletes on the roster, they might even be able to beat a highly-ranked team like Oklahoma!
smiley68.gif

no. wait. they already do that. and that. and they did that, too. weird ... so why would they need to abandon their current recruiting practices? oh yeah ... too many "white boys" and not enough arrests.

smiley87.gif

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
three redshirt freshmen may be in line to make an impact this year for the Broncos ...

as they sat out last season, swift cornerback Josh Borgman and speedy wideout Mitch Burroughs were each named the Boise scout team players of the year for their respective sides of the ball.

also, tailback Matt Kaiserman, who was the Idaho Gatorade Player of the Year, has been singled out by Boise head coach Chris Petersen as a player whoshould make a significant contribution.

it'll be nice to see, if it happens.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Tyler Shoemaker is making a lot of noise in camp this fall. this complimentary profile calls him everything good about Boise State football.

<H1 id=storyTitle>Murphy: Shoemaker a vintage Boise State football player</H1>

Boise State's breathlessly anticipated season opener with Oregon is less than three weeks away and, while I recognize it is too early for 2009 superlatives, certain facts have emerged about this year's Broncos.

Sophomore quarterback Kellen Moore is the most irreplaceable player on the roster - and it's not particularly close.

Junior safety Jeron Johnson is the emotional centerpiece of the defense, a fact that was underscored when Johnson collapsed to the turf after a violent collision during Thursday's scrimmage.

Seniors Richie Brockel and Kyle Wilson are excellent leaders and ambassadors for the program, an important standard on a team with just four seniors.

They are team-defining - and, in Moore's case, program-defining - players. For instance, it will never be the Tyler Shoemaker Era at Boise State.

But Shoemaker, a sophomore wide receiver, may well be the "Broncoiest" of all the Boise State players. The most Bronco, if you will.

His journey to this point - Shoemaker is expected to start at slot receiver, while also working at both outside receiver spots - is a traditional Bronco path, a harkening to the type of players that forged the beginning of Boise State's decade of dominance.

He was lightly recruited out of an Idaho high school. He walked on at Boise State. He earned a scholarship. He dealt with setbacks. He found his role. The ending, typically where the player ends up stan-ding out in his role, is yet to be written in Shoemaker's case.

But things certainly look promising for the man who elicits the latest round of "Shoe!" calls. They were noticeable during Thursday's scrimmage when the 6-foot-2, 211-pound Mountain View High product paced Broncos receivers with six catches and 116 yards. It was his second big scrimmage, following a three-catch, 138-yard, two-touchdown performance in the Spring Game. Taken together, the output suggests he is ready for his expanded role in the offense.

Boise State needs him, having lost four of its top five pass catchers from last year. Shoemaker finished last season with seven catches for 110 yards and two touchdowns, both against Idaho State.

It is quick ascension for someone who couldn't find the field at Mountain View during his first two seasons - and attracted little interest once he did. A backup quarterback bored by holding a clipboard, he found his way to wide receiver.

Football Championship Subdivision teams Idaho State, Eastern Washington and Western Washington, a Division II team and NAIA Carroll College recruited him. But Shoemaker had his heart set on playing at the highest level in college. No one was going to tell him no.

For those wondering if Boise State has lost the collective edge of disrespect - a key ingredient in the Broncos' rise to national prominence - in the face of national recognition, fear not. It is alive and well in players such as Shoemaker.

"I had my mind set. I wanted to play Division I (in the Football Bowl Subdivision), and when those (offers) didn't come, it was kind of a letdown," he said. "It put a little chip on my shoulder."

Shoemaker is among the 40 walk-ons to earn a scholarship at Boise State since 1998, former coach Dirk Koetter's first season.

"It's a long road. It's a tough road. I don't think they really knew what to expect out of me," Shoemaker said. "They just said, 'All we want is all you got.' I tried to give them the best I could, everything I had, every single play."

That's why December hurt so much. Shoemaker, having gotten his scholarship and established a role, found out a few days before the Poinsettia Bowl that he would not be making the trip. Coach Chris Petersen suspended him for one game for violating a team rule. Shoemaker called it "heartbreaking."

"I stepped out of line. I took full responsibility for what I did. I deserved it," Shoemaker said. "I knew the rules going in. You can't break the team rules and not expect to get punished. That's part of the Bronco Way. We do things right around here and if you're straying away from that, (Petersen's) got to let you know."

The setback has been temporary, though the feelings linger - and motivate.

"I keep a little scar over my heart every day. I think about it," Shoemaker said. "It just makes me realize how precious every day I have out here on this blue is. Every practice I think about, 'Keep going. You're headed in the right direction.' "

It is a path traveled by many Broncos before him, a well-worn road that has served Boise State splendidly in any era.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
this is an interesting read. Boise State Broncos' senior class is the smallest in the country.

<H1 id=storyTitle>Boise State Broncos' senior class is smallest in country</H1>
<H2>The group was small to begin with, and has dwindled to two original members.</H2>

The Boise State football team signed 17 new recruits on Feb. 2, 2005.

Only two of them are still here.

That's why the Broncos will enter this season with - by far - the smallest senior class in college football, according to research conducted by South Carolina. Boise State has four seniors; South Carolina and Duke are second with nine.

"There was a lot of potential with my class," senior tight end Richie Brockel said. "Everybody was kind of always thinking, 'These guys are going to be awesome.' You look around and you're like, 'Where did everybody go?' We were trying to figure that out the other day."

Brockel and cornerback Kyle Wilson are the two 2005 signees still on the roster. The other two seniors are wide receiver Michael Choate and cornerback Garcia Day, who transferred from other schools. A fifth senior, former walk-on Andy Silsby, is serving as a student coach because of a knee injury.

How did the Broncos end up here?

This class was undersized from the start because of heavy attrition in the 2004 senior class, which reduced the number of scholarships available. Plus, four of the 2005 recruits were college transfers - including defensive tackle Dennis Ellis, wide receiver Jerard Rabb and center Jadon Dailey, three integral pieces of the Fiesta Bowl team in 2006.

Of the 13 freshman signees, three never arrived, five washed out of the program and one suffered a career-ending injury - a collection of players that includes quarterbacks Nick Lomax and Kyle Seevers, kicker Jameson Davis, offensive lineman Cameron Filkins, wide receiver Aiona Key and cornerback Tristan Patin.

And two of the four remaining freshmen left early to turn pro - cornerback Orlando Scandrick (a fifth-round NFL draft pick in 2008) and wide receiver Jeremy Childs (undrafted in 2009).

That leaves just Wilson and Brockel - the only senior starters on the team and its unquestioned leaders.

"I look at Richie and (Wilson) as the leaders of the leaders," said Choate, who walked on in 2007. "They have been here the longest. When stuff starts to go the wrong way, they're really the guys that I see trying to pick people up."

The small senior class has encouraged younger players to step into leadership roles. The offensive and defensive lines, for example, don't have a senior between them. The Broncos don't have a senior quarterback, either - and that's the guy who usually organizes summer practices.

Junior defensive end Ryan Winterswyk, sophomore center Thomas Byrd, sophomore starting quarterback Kellen Moore, junior wide receiver Austin Pettis and junior safety Jeron Johnson are among the players who have filled the void.

"We have a lot of guys who have a lot of game experience and can fill in leadership roles," Brockel said. "We've always had a lot of young leaders on this team."

That's the way coach Chris Petersen wants it. He didn't name full-time captains last season because he wants leadership spread throughout the team.

He named Wilson and Brockel captains this year because they were universally considered the team leaders - capable of making this a small but influential senior class.

"You've got two strong leader-type guys who just do so many things correctly from academics to how they practice, how they treat guys," Petersen said. "They really understand the culture and how things go around here. É One of the mistakes so many people and teams can make is just assuming that your best players are your leaders. Those are mutually exclusive entities. When your best players are strong leaders, you've got something special."

Petersen hopes to avoid such a small class in 2014. He could do that by adding junior-college players who fit into that class, playing some true freshmen from the 2011 recruiting class and giving scholarships to some 2010 walk-ons.

The Broncos only have four scholarship freshmen slated to join the program next year.

"You need more balance (in classes) than we have right now," Petersen said.

The upside is that the Broncos expect to return 22 of 24 starters next year - another number that likely would lead the nation.

"It's never that easy," Petersen said.

Just look at that 2005 recruiting class.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Jc that is absolutely crazy they only have two scholasrhsip seniors! I know classes gradually get slimmer but have never read of one that thin!

dwid

Hall of Famer
Boise st beats Oregon. Blount an afflete who had caused trouble before and was talking trash before the game about winning, couldn't win on the field and sucker punched a White guy who had no helmet on, and Blount had his on and backed away(what a coward way to attack someone). I don't believe the White guy had a chance to fight back the way it all went down. Then I believe he tried to attack his own teammate, im not sure it happened fast and i was trying to sleep. I am sure there will be more details later on. What a classy way to go, pulled off the field. He should be banned from playing. I wonder what his punishment will be.Edited by: dwid

Riddlewire

Master
Actually, he should be arrested and charged with assault. The game was over. They always excuse when fights happen DURING games. But this was an attack by one private citizen on another. And there is video proof of it. He should spend some time in jail.

hawkeye

Guru
Yeah, I hope he gets kicked off the team for that. He has had a history of doing that. I think we should write on Oregans University web site demanding his immediate expulsion. This guy is a senior and at the begining of the season he said he had changed, apparently not so.

hawkeye

Guru
As for the game Boise States defense did a hell of a job rushing Masoli. Ryan Winterswyk and Chase Baker both did an outstading job. The only one on Oregon that impressed me was Jeff Maehl; unfortunately he is not in a Wide Reciever freinly offense. Maybe that will change now that Blount is gone.

foobar75

Master
I watched the end there. This piece of $%#%^ negro thug did what all these thugs from the hood learn as kids growing up, and that is the sucker punch. None of them are man enough to fight like a real man, so they always resort to the sucker punch, and this is all it was.

This piece of garbage needs to be expelled immediately.

Pollyanna

Guru
We must not condemn the young man or his actions. He was no doubt upset that Oregon lost and was looking to vent his frustrations. Considering the look of his new uniform, while being in someone else s home field, along with thousands of folks outside his racial perspective yelling at him it was bound to happen. Lets find ways to help Mr. Blount feel more comfortable with his emotions, rathar than holding back his potential by judging him.

guest301

Hall of Famer
Pollyanna said:
We must not condemn the young man or his actions.  He was no doubt upset that Oregon lost and was looking to vent his frustrations.  Considering the look of his new uniform, while being in someone else s home field, along with  thousands of folks outside his racial perspective yelling at him it was bound to happen.     Lets find ways to help Mr. Blount feel more comfortable with his emotions, rathar than holding back his potential by judging him.

smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
you are living up to your user name which I am sure is your intention.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
ESPN will always try to excuse negative black behavior, just like the rest of the cultural Marxist media.

Pollyanna

Guru
I have been cleared so to speak in the sincerest form in which Tom Cruise would be proud. Thanks Caste members for redirecting my negativity, it is very releasing.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
Showing the eternal spirit of the White man, Byron got right back up!

He'll soon follow the proud tradition of a couple other top college running backs:

Lawrence Phillips -- Sentenced to 10 years in a California state prison.
phillips_lawrence0528.jpg

Maurice Clarett -- Sentenced to seven and a half years in an Ohio state prison.
050226_clarett_vlg_5p.widec.jpg
Edited by: Fightingtowin

Tom Iron

Mentor
Gentlemen,

I'm sure your all aware we're talking about a lot more than a sucker punch here.

I'm interested in just where you all think this stuff leading?

Tom Iron...

guest301

Hall of Famer
Tom Iron said:
Gentlemen,

I'm sure your all aware we're talking about a lot more than a sucker punch here.

I'm interested in just where you all think this stuff leading?

Tom Iron...

Not sure what point you are alluding to or trying to elicit Tom Iron but I think some blacks are really feeling their oats right now with a empty suit black man in charge of the country.

green fire317

Banned
i don't study law where i go to school but i know you can't do what that guy did. He may be charged with assault and batery.Edited by: green fire317