2007 Penn State Nittany Lions

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
[url]http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/7871166/Third-Penn-St.-pl ayer-charged-after-campus-fight?FSO2&ATT=MA [/url]

Bowman

NAVORROWBOWMANNIKE150.JPG

Baker

1244538.jpeg

Taylor

1248977.jpeg

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. (AP) - A third Penn State football player was charged in connection with a campus fight.

Suspended defensive tackle Phil Taylor was charged Monday with felony aggravated assault and misdemeanor charges of simple assault and disorderly conduct.

University police said Taylor and former Penn State players Chris Baker and Navorro Bowman beat up a man during a dance in October. The two former players already have been charged.

Taylor also faces one count of summary harassment and stalking. A preliminary hearing is scheduled for March 12.

Baker and Bowman are awaiting trial.

Taylor's defense attorney, Ron McGlaughlin, questioned Tuesday how his client was identified and said he would look into whether Taylor had been defending himself.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
[url]http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sports/20080404_Penn_State_pr actice_leaves_QB_questions.html [/url]
<H1>Penn State practice leaves QB questions</H1>
By Jeff McLane
Inquirer Staff Writer
<DIV =-content>Penn State lifted the iron curtain on its football program this past Saturday, revealing a few secrets, but leaving the most pressing on-the-field-related questions unanswered: Who's going to be the Nittany Lions' No. 1 quarterback, and will the choice be made by the time spring practice ends?

"I don't have to make that decision," coach Joe Paterno said. "Why should I make it?"

Fair enough. But inquiring minds want to know if the mobile Daryll Clark will get the nod or if the trendy pick, Pat Devlin, will win out. The two quarterbacks, along with likely third-stringer Paul Cianciolo, split snaps with the first-team offense in practice.

Paterno said each of the threesome would have the opportunity to claim the job and will see significant time in the Blue-White scrimmage, which will end the spring session on April 19. He also expects the race to continue into the first week of preseason in August.

Clark, a 6-foot-2, 231-pound senior-to-be, was Anthony Morelli's backup last season and was a key cog in the Alamo Bowl as the Lions used an occasional spread formation.

In Saturday's practice, the 6-4, 222-pound Devlin impressed with his arm strength and deft touch. The redshirt sophomore from Downingtown can run, but he's more of a traditional drop-back passer. Think Zack Mills, but with a pistol.

"He can make all the throws on the field," wide receiver Deon Butler said.

Paterno didn't rule out the possibility of a platoon, but most expect a clear-cut starter.

"I think it's going to end up being one beating out the other," center A.Q. Shipley said.

Other news and observations from the spring thus far:

Suspensions. Six players remain indefinitely off the team and won't likely participate in spring drills. Defensive tackles Chris Baker and Phil Taylor, tight end Andrew Quarless, linebacker Navorro Bowman, wide receiver Chris Bell, and defensive back Knowledge Timmons are serving suspensions for various team violations.

Paterno said he was waiting to see their grades and if the legal problems for some have passed.

"I would hope all of them would be out in the fall," Paterno said.

Many of the legal incidents are carryovers from last year, when senior leadership was considered an area of deficiency. Paterno likes what he sees out of this year's group - led by linebacker Sean Lee, center A.Q. Shipley, and wide receiver Derrick Williams - and expects to have captains named by the end of spring.

Running backs. Evan Royster was the freshman buzz last season, but the 6-1, 212-pound running back has an up-and-comer ringing in his ear.

The speedy Stephfon Green was often the talk of practice last season, but the 5-10, 189-pounder was redshirted. On Saturday, the freshman showed his stuff with a 26-yard burst in an 11-on-11 scrimmage.

"I like Stephfon," Paterno said. "I haven't seen enough of him in a pressure situation."

Spread offense. They're calling Penn State's new offense the "Spread HD," but what that means as far as play-calling has yet to be pinned down.

Clark and Devlin ran the ball on a few plays out of a spread formation. Butler thinks the scheme will benefit the receivers.

"I think we have guys that make people miss in open space," Butler said.

Defensive line. With Baker and Taylor out for the time being and tackle Jared Odrick and ends Devon Still and Jerome Hayes still nursing injuries, the defensive line is thin.

Ollie Ogbu and Abe Koroma are currently the starting tackles, along with ends Maurice Evans and Josh Gaines.

Linebackers. Lee didn't practice much because he recently tweaked his hamstring. The senior all-America candidate is expected to remain at outside linebacker.

Josh Hull worked with the first team at middle linebacker and is one candidate to replace the departed Dan Connor. It was sophomore Chris Colasanti, though, who was knocking heads, especially when he laid out Williams with an over-the-middle hit.

Secondary. Senior Lydell Sargeant was the odds-on favorite to earn back his starting cornerback spot with Justin King gone. But Tony Davis was running with the No. 1 unit in practice.

As a junior, Davis played free safety last season, but was injured and had an appendectomy in November. He's back at corner, where he played as a sophomore. Senior Mark Rubin stepped in at free safety.

A.J. Wallace has the other corner position sewn up and was involved with a few plays on offense. Two seasons ago as a freshman, Wallace had eight carries, including a 76-yard touchdown.

<HR>
Contact staff writer Jeff McLane at <?:NAMESPACE PREFIX = SKYPE /><SKYPE:SPAN onmouseup="javascript:skype_tb_imgOnOff(this,1,'0',true,'');return skype_tb_stopEvents();" class=skype_tb_injection onmousedown="javascript:skype_tb_imgOnOff(this,2,'0',true,'');return skype_tb_stopEvents();" id=softomate_highlight_0 onmouseover="javascript:skype_tb_imgOnOff(this,1,'0',true,'');" title="Call this phone number in United States of America with Skype: +12158544745" onclick="javascript:doRunCMD('call','0',null,0);return skype_tb_stopEvents();" onmouseout="javascript:skype_tb_imgOnOff(this,0,'0',true,'');" IamRTL="0" context="215-854-4745" durex="0"><SKYPE:SPAN =skype_tb_nop></SKYPE:SPAN><SKYPE:SPAN onmouseup="javascript:doSkypeFlag(this,'0',1,1);return skype_tb_stopEvents();" class=skype_tb_imgA_flex onmousedown="javascript:doSkypeFlag(this,'0',2,1);return skype_tb_stopEvents();" id=skype_tb_droppart_0 onmouseover="javascript:doSkypeFlag(this,'0',1,1);" title="Skype actions" onclick="javascript:skype_tb_SwitchDrop(this,'0','sms=0',true);return skype_tb_stopEvents();" onmouseout="javascript:doSkypeFlag(this,'0',0,1);"><SKYPE:SPAN =skype_tb_nop></SKYPE:SPAN><SKYPE:SPAN class=skype_tb_imgFlag id=skype_tb_img_f0 style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(C:Usersstovall1
ppDataLocalTempLow__SkypeIEToolbar_Cache?847a8f5723cfca6b3fd9946506staticúmfamfam/US.gif)"></SKYPE:SPAN><SKYPE:SPAN =skype_tb_nop></SKYPE:SPAN></SKYPE:SPAN><SKYPE:SPAN class=skype_tb_imgS id=skype_tb_img_s0></SKYPE:SPAN><SKYPE:SPAN =skype_tb_injectionIn id=skype_tb_text0><SKYPE:SPAN =skype_tb_innerText id=skype_tb_innerText0>215-854-4745</SKYPE:SPAN></SKYPE:SPAN><SKYPE:SPAN class=skype_tb_imgR id=skype_tb_img_r0><SKYPE:SPAN =skype_tb_nop></SKYPE:SPAN></SKYPE:SPAN></SKYPE:SPAN> or jmclane@phillynews.com.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Another low IQ thug on Old Joe's squad does what comes naturally. One wonders how many whites who areat leastas talented and who would be actual student-athletes were passed over so this guy could get a scholarship:

Bell off team after alleged knife incident

Suspended Nittany Lion wide receiver Chris Bell will not be allowed back on the Penn State football team after police said he threatened a teammate with an 8-inch cooking knife Monday night at the football team's dining area in Pollock Dining Commons.

Rest of article: [url]http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive/2008/04/08/bell_off_tea m_after_alleged_kn.aspx[/url]

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Is it Penn State U or Penn State Penitentiary? Old Joe doesn't know what's going on anyway I'm sure it's his assistent coaches recruiting "speed".

white is right

Hall of Famer
I truly think he and his staff have gotten desperate to win. I remember a few years ago they had a Joe Pa death watch(firing watch) on ESPN when his teams were going .500ish. His teams have improved the last couple of seasons and the senility questions have diminshed, but at what price? The last thing I would want as my legacy is to be called Bootlegger's Boy North.......
smiley36.gif
smiley11.gif
smiley5.gif
Edited by: white is right

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Paterno tells recruits he's not sure of future

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/8124252/Paterno-tells-rec ruits-he's-not-sure-of-future?FSO2&ATT=MA

VALLEY FORGE, Pa. (AP) - Joe Paterno wants football recruits to consider Penn State on its merits, not on whether the Hall of Fame coach will be around for the length of their stay.

Speaking before an Alumni Club function in suburban Philadelphia on Saturday, the 81-year-old Paterno cited Penn State's strong academics and football history as reasons recruits should think about going to school in Happy Valley. He says his own uncertain future as coach after this, his 43rd season, shouldn't figure in the decision.

Must-read:Rosen: LeBron's big finish dooms Celts
Kriegel: Big Mess in the Big Apple
Must-see:Behind the scenes: L.T. on set
Under the Hood: Busch's bravado
View more videos &gt;&gt;Top headlines:Cavs take down Celts, even series
Indians' 2B turns unassisted triple play
Red Wings take 3-0 series lead
All of today's top stories &gt;&gt;Worth a thousand words:Danica's Indy incident
NBA playoff action
View more photos &gt;&gt;"My coaches go in, tell kids what life is all about at Penn State, and whether we have a good opportunity for them," Paterno said. "If one kid asks if coach Paterno is going to be there, they tell them to call me up.

"I tell them exactly what I feel: 'Look, I don't know whether I'm going to be here the three, four, five years you're going to be here.' I say 'I feel great and I'm intending to coach as long as I feel good."'

Paterno has 372 wins, one behind Florida State's Bobby Bowden for most career victories among major college coaches. That makes his coaching future a hot topic.

Paterno's current contract is up at the end of the 2008 season. But his record-setting tenure isn't necessarily over. The university and Paterno have agreed to meet after the season to discuss the future - just as they have in past years.

Paterno said his advice to the recruits is simple: Take a look at the whole school.

"Look at Penn State," he said. "Look at its history. ... Look at the enthusiasm of the program. Look at the academic support. And, you're going to play on a good football team. and you're going to be coached well.

"Don't put me in the equation beyond what it should be."

Paterno said he doesn't think he has lost a recruit with that approach.

"Take a look around at the people who are here and take a look around at the things that have made Penn State special. Because we think we are something special."

Paterno said he isn't in a hurry to name his starting quarterback for the coming season. Seniors Daryll Clark and Paul Cianciolo, and sophomore Pat Devlin are battling for the spot vacated by Anthony Morelli.

"I think we have a nice little situation here with some kids who can play," Paterno said. "I think that is one of the strongest positions we have right now.

"I don't like to make a decision until I have to."

Signing off, Paterno playfully implored the media to move beyond the team's past off-field troubles.

"Hey, I got a good football team, all right," he said. "I'm tired of talking about this, that and the other thing. To be very frank with you, we have a tough schedule. We have a good football team and we'll have a lot of fun."

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
[url]http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/8147838/Baker-enters-guil ty-plea-for-two-assault-cases?FSO2&amp;ATT=MA [/url]

196451.jpg

BELLEFONTE, Pa. (AP) - Penn State defensive tackle Chris Baker was sentenced to two years' probation Friday after entering guilty pleas in two cases involving two separate fights.

Baker pleaded guilty Friday to simple assault and criminal trespass, both misdemeanors, in connection with a fight at an off-campus apartment in April 2007 in which authorities said two people were hurt, according to Centre County District Attorney Michael Madeira.
<DIV =in_info__btm>

Baker, 21, of Windsor, Conn., also pleaded guilty Friday to misdemeanor simple assault for a fight at the campus student union last October, Madeira said. One man was hurt in that encounter.

Besides probation, Madeira said Baker must pay about $2,500 in restitution covering both cases. All other charges, including felony counts in both cases, were dismissed.

The trial for the off-campus fight case was scheduled to start in early June, but Madeira said the sides came to agreement Friday. in part because they were able to resolve both cases at once.

"The commonwealth is happy with the resolution, as are all the victims," Madeira said. "The reason for that is Mr. Baker has accepted responsibility. There is vindication for the victims who have been saying all along this is what Mr. Baker did, but have really been getting a hard time about it."

Baker's attorney, Tony DeBoef, did not immediately return a message seeking comment.

Baker had been suspended from the team. However, coach Joe Paterno recently allowed Baker to start working out again.

His potential return this fall would be a boost to a defensive line stocked with talent. Baker had 37 tackles and 4.5 sacks in 12 games last season.

He is the last of two players charged in the April 2007 fight to have his case resolved. Safety Anthony Scirrotto was sentenced to one year of probation after accepting a plea deal in February to a reduced charge of misdemeanor defiant trespass.

Baker had been cleared by a university judicial affairs panel of wrongdoing in the October fight. Two other suspended Nittany Lions - linebacker Navorro Bowman and defensive tackle Phil Taylor - have been charged by police for taking part in that fight and are awaiting trial.

Madeira said Baker's plea had no bearing on the cases of Bowman and Taylor.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Colonel_Reb said:
Penn State defensive tackle Chris Baker was sentenced to two years' probation Friday after entering guilty pleas in two cases involving two separate fights.

Baker had been suspended from the team. However, coach Joe Paterno recently allowed Baker to start working out again.

Baker should be able to make it a "Baker's dozen" of criminal "incidents" before Old Caste Joe throws him off the team.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Paterno is a playoff advocate
PITTSBURGH (AP) - Penn State football coach Joe Paterno is lobbying again for major college football playoff, calling the reasons against it "bogus" less than three weeks after the Bowl Championship Series decided to maintain its current format for the foreseeable future.

The 81-year-old coach said Thursday he doubts if a playoff system would be enacted soon, particularly after a May 5 meeting of the 11 Football Bowl Subdivision conference commissioners and Notre Dame's athletic director ended with a decision to reject a four-team playoff and begin negotiations with the television networks with the current system in place.
<DIV =in_info__btm>

"I don't think so right now, and I don't know why," said Paterno, who is entering his 43rd season as Penn State's head coach. "I'm only going to be a head coach another 10 or 15 years, and I don't think it will happen by then."

Paterno, whose contract runs through the upcoming season but has not been extended, laughed at his own joke.

Paterno's pro-playoff stance differs from that of the Big Ten, which has long opposed a playoff. At the May 5 meeting, only the Atlantic Coast Conference and Southeastern Conference commissioners favored continued discussion of SEC commissioner Mike Slive's proposal that would have seeded the top four teams in two BCS bowls and had the winners meet a week later for the national championship. The BCS bowls are the Rose, Sugar, Orange and Fiesta.

Those opposing the playoff cited the sanctity of the regular season and the fact the players would be forced to miss too much class time. It could also extend the season into a second semester. Paterno rejected those rationales, noting the highly profitable Division I men's basketball tournament is more disruptive to its players.

"To be frank with you, I don't know what the reasons are not to have a playoff," Paterno said during a speaking appearance in Pittsburgh. "You can talk about missing class and all that kind of stuff, (yet) you see basketball go on forever. You have a lot of bogus excuses, but obviously the majority of people who have the say don't want it."

Paterno also is unhappy with the rules of the coaches' poll, a key element in selecting which teams play in the BCS title game. Coaches are required to vote for the winner of the BCS title game in the final voting, a condition Paterno sees as working against the principle of a voting process.

Paterno has not voted in the coaches' poll since 2004, when he wanted to vote for undefeated Auburn but was forced to vote for Southern California after it won the BCS title game

"They said, 'Well, you've got to vote or else you can't participate.' So I will not participate in the voting," Paterno said. "Not that I'm against what other people want to do, it's just that philosophically I think you ought to win it on the field. If I have to vote for somebody only because people have said these are the two teams that ought to be in the BCS championship game and I think they left somebody out that probably ought to be in it, that's when I'll feel a playoff ought to be appropriate. I've always been for a playoff."

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Two PSU football players get probation for fight

[url]http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/8193578/Two-PSU-football- players-get-probation-for-fight?FSO2&amp;ATT=MA [/url]
BELLEFONTE, Pa. (AP) - Two Penn State football players have each pleaded guilty Friday to a misdemeanor charge in connection with an on-campus fight last year.
<DIV =in_info__btm>

Linebacker Navorro Bowman and defensive tackle Phil Taylor appeared in court Friday to plead guilty to disorderly conduct in exchange for prosecutors' dropping more serious assault charges.

Each was sentenced to one year of probation and 100 hours of community service.

Two other players involved in the Oct. 7 fight have resolved their cases.

All four were charged for allegedly beating up a Philadelphia man who was attending a party at Penn State.

Taylor, who will be a junior in the fall, and Bowman, who will be a redshirt sophomore, had been kicked off the team while their cases were pending. A message left for a team spokesman regarding their status wasn't immediately returned.