2007 Arkansas Razorbacks

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
i have spoken to Chris Bahn, the author of that piece, on several occasions. somehow the treatment of white athletes always comes up...
smiley2.gif

maybe Chris is beginning to see the light.

Riddlewire

Master
Nutt is out.
I'm celebrating.

Tomorrow, though, I'll be worrying about the recruiting tendencies of our next coach.
Ferentz is on the hot seat. He knows that an all-white team can play with any other team. He may not have excelled the last two years, but perhaps he just needs a change of scenery. I'd welcome him to Arkansas.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Daimon, i spoke to a friend of mine who is a grad student at Ole Miss on the phone today. he says that the Ole Miss fans are very excited about Nutt coming on board.

i'm just glad he's no longer on the Arkansas sideline.

Riddlewire

Master
Most of the ones I know are... 'excited' wouldn't quite be the right word. Maybe 'optimistic'. They are all in agreement that Nutt is an upgrade over Coach O.
I wonder how they'll feel 4 seasons from now.
smiley36.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
From what I've heard, it seems most Ole Miss fans are talking about how Nutt's going to turn the program around. Just like most sheeple "team fans", they gladly jump from one bandwagon to the next.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
CSTV is re-airing the LSU game tonight at 7PM Central. I'm going to record it, seeing as how I don't have any Jacob Hester or Peyton Hillis games recorded yet.

backrow

Hall of Famer
Colonel_Reb said:
CSTV is re-airing the LSU game tonight at 7PM Central. I'm going to record it, seeing as how I don't have any Jacob Hester or Peyton Hillis games recorded yet.

Col, could you download it to filefront or something like that after you record it? i'd love to have this game on my PC.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I don't know how to do that from a VHS backrow. If someone will tell me how to do it from a VHS tape, I'll gladly do it. Of course, I guess I could go buy some DVDs and record it on there, then the file sharing thing would be a piece of cake for me. Let me see what I can do. More to come...

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
OK, I found some empty DVDs and have set my recorder. I will check out filefront to see how it works. I think I can get the whole thing on one DVD in EP mode. Will that site allow me to upload a 4 hour long clip?

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I'm thinking it may be best to record it in 3 or 4 sections, as filefront has a 1 Gig limit, I think the complete recording will go over that limit easily. I'm uploading the Brian Leonard 100+ yard game clip to it right now to see how it works.

backrow

Hall of Famer
Colonel_Reb said:
I'm thinking it may be best to record it in 3 or 4 sections, as filefront has a 1 Gig limit, I think the complete recording will go over that limit easily. I'm uploading the Brian Leonard 100+ yard game clip to it right now to see how it works.

cool, great stuff Col.

yeah, i think several parts would be the best idea, just to make it easier and avoid connection timeouts.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I seriously doubt it will be Tuberville. I know Mike Leach is in the running, as are several other people.

Riddlewire

Master
Our sports-hating chancellor, John White, seems determined to hire a black coach. He's on an endless quest to score points with minorities.
First, it was Charlie Strong. Then, there were rumors that Sylvester Croom was being considered (!?). Now, they have interviewed Ron English, black DC from Michigan.
Call me crazy, but I thought we were supposed to be trying to make a big hire to return us to national prominence. It seems, though, that we are trying to follow the mandates of the Black Coaches Association so that we can become a 'model program' in the NCAA.
Hiring black coaches is ALWAYS the wrong move. The University of Arkansas has learned that better than anyone. Once you get them in, you can't get them out.

Riddlewire

Master
I'm probably premature in posting this, considering how this stupid search has gone, but...
Barring another last second back-out, it looks like the University of Arkansas has its new coach. Jim Grobe from Wake Forest. I don't watch the ACC, so I need some Atlantic Coasters to give me the 411. I don't really care about his coaching philosophies. He'll have to adapt those to be competitive in the SEC. What I really want to know about are his recruiting trends. I see that he played two white quarterbacks this season, and had others on the roster. So maybe he hasn't bought into the myth of the 'black running qb'. What does a typical recruiting class look like for him?

Riddlewire

Master
Nevermind. False Alarm.
The bastard backed out.
I wouldn't be surprised if Houston Nutt called him up and bad-mouthed the University. After all, Grobe accepted the deal initially. Something changed his mind this morning.
Losing Grobe doesn't bother me, though.
The real problem is that now the BCA will be demanding a black coach, since we've already struck out four times on other coaches. And PC-wuss John White (UA Chancellor) and his new yes-man Jeff Long (UA AD) will be all too happy to accomodate them.
Looks like no more Razorback football for me.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Didn't Arkansas have a bad experience with a black basketball head coach?

Riddlewire

Master
jaxvid said:
It's hard to tell if that's a joke or sarcasm, so I'll just answer it plainly.
Yes. We had the worst experience you could possibly ever have with a black coach. Its name was Nolan Richardson. He was Al Sharpton, Stephen A. Smith, and Donovan McNabb all rolled into one. He believed that every single action that every single white person engaged in, from the second they woke up in the morning, to the moment they fell asleep at night, was an attempt to oppress him and his race. He saw the world solely through race-colored glasses. It was the only thing he knew. Every press conference, every interview, every news release. Everything was about some phantom injustice that he perceived. He never had a kind word for the people of Arkansas or the University. He constantly implied that the entire fan base was an organized clan of white supremacists who were trying to destroy him.
Arkansas is not a majority black state. Although you never would have known it from the 15 years that we suffered under Nolan. He opened up recruiting pipelines to the worst ghetto thugs you could possibly imagine (memphis and northern metropolitan areas) and populated our basketball teams exclusively with players from those locations. They were criminals - thieves, rapists, gang members. But Nolan welcomed them all to our most beautiful and prosperous city. We hired him from nowhere. He was a no-name. We became the first SEC school to employ a black head coach in any sport. We paid him millions of dollars for 15 years. How did he repay our generosity? He sued us for racial discrimination. This a$$hole gave up coaching and quit recruiting for the last four years of his tenure. His teams stunk. His 'superior' blakletes were made up of the third tier leftovers from other schools. He set our basketball program back by half a decade. Yet we still offered him a contract extension. And after the last pitiful loss of his last season, he demanded to be bought out of his contract. So that's exactly what happened. We bought him out (for an huge sum of money). And then he sued us.
If he died from a stroke this very day, I would mark it on my calendar as a yearly holiday. And I would make sure that my entire family celebrated that day in perpetuity.
Under threat of the lawsuit, the University felt that it had no choice but to replace him with another black coach. So we got another 1 year nobody from a nothing school. He was a lousy coach. We supported him with full arenas, initially. But the mighty Arkansas Razorbacks continued to underperform. Still, we gave him five years (and a lot of money) to show some improvement that would suggest he could return us to prominence. That's a long time to wait for a fanbase that expected at least Sweet Sixteen appearances every year. But we waited. Because we had no choice. We couldn't fire ANOTHER black coach before his contract was up. We would've been given the death penalty. Eventually, though, with a clever scheme by that senile old bastard Frank Broyles, we were able to completely turn total sentiment against him (rightly so). So there was nobody around to raise the question of whether or not it was a fair termination, even though ESPN tried to stir some crap up over it.
The bottom line: Never hire a black coach for any sport. You will regret it. You get nothing from it. Unless, of course, you like cheering for all-black teams, win or lose.

gsm1988

It sounds like Nolan Richardson came from the John Thompson school of race relations, and no, that's not a compliment. Who was Arkansas' last White starter prior to Steven Hill anyway? Was it Joe Kleine?

Edited by: gsm1988

gsm1988

I feel that this year's Arkansas team never played up to its talent level until the LSU game. McFadden is a great running back, and anyone who denies that is a liar. However, I think that McFadden gets way too much credit for Arkansas' success. If you listen to ESPN, you would think that he is the only reason the team wins any games. I don't think so. He has a very good offensive line protecting him, and has both Felix Jones and Peyton Hillis to take the heat off of him. Why doesn't Hillis ever get any credit? He is absolutely one of the most underrated players in college football. I just hope that he gets treated fairly in the NFL.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Yep, I heard a SLC sports talk show host discussing the Heisman. He said Tebow should win it hands down, but that McFadden had "singlehandedly" won the LSU game for Arkansas. I ordinarily think anti-white bias, but it also may be a lack of knowledge about the game. Its hard to believe that was the case for such a hgih profile game as that one though.

Colonel_Reb said:
Yep, I heard a SLC sports talk show host discussing the Heisman. He said Tebow should win it hands down, but that McFadden had "singlehandedly" won the LSU game for Arkansas. I ordinarily think anti-white bias, but it also may be a lack of knowledge about the game. Its hard to believe that was the case for such a hgih profile game as that one though.

Didn't Peyton Hillis score 4 touchdowns for Arkansas against LSU? That's 1 more than McFadden scored. Obviously McFadden didn't "singlehandedly" win the game. We all know that oftentimes commentators know little about what they are talking about and mainly try to hype a particular team or individual. And, apparently, McFadden's 3 touchdowns were worth more than Hillis' 4.

Scoring Summary
FIRST QUARTER ARK LSU
FG 13:19 Colt David 32 Yd
Drive: 7 plays, 11 yds, 1:35 0 3
FG 07:16 Colt David 49 Yd
Drive: 11 plays, 41 yds, 4:31 0 6
SECOND QUARTER ARK LSU
TD 07:33 Darren Mcfadden 16 Yd Run (Alex Tejada Kick)
Drive: 9 plays, 97 yds, 3:23 7 6
THIRD QUARTER ARK LSU
TD 09:49 Darren Mcfadden 73 Yd Run (Alex Tejada Kick)
Drive: 5 plays, 80 yds, 1:46 14 6
TD 07:48 Jacob Hester 12 Yd Run (Matt Flynn Run For Two-Point Conversion)
Drive: 8 plays, 51 yds, 1:52 14 14
TD 05:46 Peyton Hillis 65 Yd Run (Alex Tejada Kick)
Drive: 4 plays, 83 yds, 2:02 21 14
TD 02:22 Demetrius Byrd 7 Yd Pass From Matt Flynn (Colt David Kick)
Drive: 11 plays, 75 yds, 3:24 21 21
FOURTH QUARTER ARK LSU
TD 05:06 Peyton Hillis 24 Yd Pass From Darren Mcfadden (Alex Tejada Kick)
Drive: 6 plays, 72 yds, 2:24 28 21
TD 00:57 Demetrius Byrd 2 Yd Pass From Matt Flynn (Colt David Kick)
Drive: 13 plays, 79 yds, 4:09 28 28
OVERTIME ARK LSU
TD 00:00 Matt Flynn 12 Yd Run (Colt David Kick)
Drive: 3 plays, 25 yds, :00 28 35
TD 00:00 Peyton Hillis 10 Yd Pass From Casey Dick (Alex Tejada Kick)
Drive: 7 plays, 25 yds, :00 35 35
OVERTIME ARK LSU
TD 00:00 Darren Mcfadden 9 Yd Run (Alex Tejada Kick)
Drive: 2 plays, 25 yds, :00 42 35
TD 00:00 Jacob Hester 2 Yd Run (Colt David Kick)
Drive: 5 plays, 25 yds, :00 42 42
OVERTIME ARK LSU
TD 00:00 Peyton Hillis 3 Yd Run (Felix Jones Run For Two-Point Conversion)
Drive: 6 plays, 25 yds, :00 50 42
TD 00:00 Brandon Lafell 9 Yd Pass From Matt Flynn (Two-Point Conversion Failed)
Drive: 3 plays, 25 yds, :00 50 48

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I know highschoolcoach. It makes no sense at all. I wonder if Peyton will get many carries in the bowl game?

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Riddlewire said:
jaxvid said:
It's hard to tell if that's a joke or sarcasm, so I'll just answer it plainly.

I didn't mean it sarcasticly, I had remembered a bit about it and your recap brought it all back to me. Great post, the comment about celebrating his death in perpetuity still has me laughing!
smiley36.gif

What a disaster that was, I remember reading about it in Sports Illustrated or somewhere. But you're right, another reason not to hire black coaches.