2006 Division I-AA Teams/Stars

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Here I am posting info on a few teams on which I have information about. This will be similar to the Whitest College Teams Thread. Please add info about any I-AA team or player you know of. These athletes need as much if not more exposure than their I-A counterparts. Now, to get the ball rolling, we have a few high profile teams who are highly ranked going into this season. The poll I am using for this is the Any Given Saturday, or AGS poll, because the USA Today/ESPN poll is not out yet.

Here are teams with at least half of their 22 starters being white in 2006. I also list teams with 10 white starters seperately because roster and depth chart changes could result in 11 or 12 whites starting by the middle of the season.

17-Montana, North Dakota State
12-Northern Iowa

Teams with 10 out of 22 white starters:
Appalachian State

Here are the probable white starters for the defending I-AA National Champion and preseason number 1 ranked Appalachian State Mountaineers. I must give credit to the designer of their football roster page. It has mini-pics built in! If every team had these, it would make my efforts so much easier.

Offense
QB-Trey Elder
TE-Daniel Bettis
RT-Matt Isenhour
RG-Jeremy Robertson
C-Scott Suttle
LG-Kerry Brown
LT-Kyle Knox

Defense
S-Corey Lynch
WLB-Cam Speer
RE-Daniel Finnerty-In a fight for the position

Next we have the number 3 ranked Northern Iowa Panthers.

Offense
RT-Joe Lobdell
RG-Barrett Anderson
LG-Tyler Rawlins
LT-Chad Rinehart
H-Back-Curt Bradley
WR-James Lindgren
QB-Eric Sanders

Defense
FS-Chris Parsons
SS-Matt Tharp
DE-Mark Huygens
DT-Chuck Kinney
ILB-Justin Kirk
Edited by: Colonel_Reb

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
The number 4 ranked Montana Grizzlies white starters for this season.

Offense
QB-Josh Swogger
WR-Mike Ferriter
WR-Ryan Bagley
TE/H-Back-Daniel Beaudin
LT-Brent Russum
LG-Eric Michel
C-Ryan Wells
RG-Colin Dow
RT-Cody Balogh

Defense
DT-Kerry Mullan
DT-Craig Mettler
DE-Mike Murphy
WLB-Tyler Joyce
MLB-Kyle Ryan
SLB-Loren Utterback
FS-Torrey Thomas
CB-Tuff Harris

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
The number 12 ranked North Dakota State Bison.

Offense
QB-Steve Walker
HB-Kyle Steffes
FB-Tyler Roehl
WR-Kole Heckendorf
TE-Jerimiah Wurzbacher
OT-Nate Safe
OG-Jake Erickson
C-Zach Harrington
OG-Justin Buckwalter
OT-Adam Tadisch

Defense
DT-Mike Fairbairn
DT-Justin Frick
SS-Craig Dahl
LB-Mike Maresh
DE-Joe Lardinois
DE-Brian Dahl
FS-Nick Schommer

cslewis1

Guru
Sad, just knowing that none of these guys will get a chance. Yet if they played in MEAC or whatever the black conference is, they'd be seriously considered for the NFL.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Quite a week for I-AA teams versus noticeably blacker 1-A teams! Let's see what the rest of the season brings on this front. I'd also keep your eyes open for upsets between I-AA and D-II schools. Just one example is Stephen F. Austin playing Delta State Saturday at 6 Central in Nacogdoches.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Here are the starting white Nicholls State Colonels of 2006.

Offense
QB-Vincent Montgomery
WR-Patrick Gordon
TE-Jared Landrum
LT-Jacob Bender

Defense
DT-Matt Fairchild
MLB-Cory Vavla
WLB-Dustin Gisclair

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Northeastern plays North Dakota State (17 white starters)tomorrow. Here are the white starters for Northeastern (15). Should be an awesome game to watch in person.

QB-Anthony Orio
WR-Bill Monan
FB-Shane Hopkins
WR-Ron Conway
TE-Kendrick Ballantyne
RT-Tim Avery
RG-Kevin Newhall
C-Tyler Perkins
LT-Scott Kaplan

Defense
LE-Jason Anzalone
RE-Wil Colon
ILB-Joe Mele
ILB-Craig Kenney
OLB-Matt Campopiano
SS-Barry JeansonEdited by: Colonel_Reb

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Nicholls State is playing at Louisiana Tech on ESPN+ right now. One of our posters is fixing to be taking the field on defense.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Nicholls Junior RB Grant Thorne just scored on a 50 yard pass! They are up 14-7 on Tech. Thorne isn't even on the 2 deep depth chart, but he appears to be a multi-purpose back who started tonights game. All I know is he is listed as RB and he outran a black defender on that long TD. He also had a 47 yard run against Nebraska last week.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Nicholls State gave Tech all they could handle tonight. CF poster JonCurtis had 12 total tackles, 2 TFL's, a forced fumble, a pass breakup, and a 10 yard sack, leading all defensive players on both teams tonight!
smiley32.gif

white tornado

Mentor
JonCurtis I watched the game good going man you played great.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
North Dakota State beat Northeastern yesterday. They play at Ball State next week. Halfback Kyle Steffes ran for 153 yards and 2 TD's for the Bison.
smiley32.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Georgia Southern has a really outstanding RB in Chris Covington, and as has been mentioned, he has broken a opening game rushing record. Here are the white starters for the Eagles.

Offense
QB-Travis Clark
FB-Dusty Reddick
RB-Chris Covington
TE-Hal Scarborough
LT-Brad Williams
C-Lance Wayne
RG-Marcelo Estrada
RT-Russell Orr

Defense
NT-Jerry Barker
LB-Jason Earwood
LB-John Mohring

whiteCB

Master
Wow I would have thought with a name like Georiga Southern that this would be a historically black school.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I thought the same thing CB, I guess names can be as deceiving as looks sometimes!

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
again, a great job Colonel! i don't know how you find all this info, but you are amazing. two thumbs way up!
smiley2.gif
smiley32.gif

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
i don't know if Valparaiso is Div 1-AA or Division 2, but their best player is a white sophomore receiver by the name of Steve Ogden. through 3 games, Steve has 15 catches for 429 yards and 6 TDs, including a 79-yarder.

also their two back-up RBs are white freshmen, John Popper and Ross Weimer, and they both average over 5 yards per carry. and their best return guy is a white freshman DB, Kyle HimmelwrightEdited by: Jimmy Chitwood

cslewis1

Guru
James Madison University is the epitome of the Caste System in almost every way. They won the Championship two years ago vs. Montana and that sucked. However, they've got an all-American safety named Tony Lezotte who they were thinking about using at WR as well. The coach even commented on his speed. But those plans were scrapped when Lezotte hurt his hamstring a bit.

I actively root against JMU because of the Caste System, but I like this Lezotte guy. His brother was QB a few years back.

With that said. The JMU head coach had a son who played for the team. He got crippled in a drunken car crash. It was a pretty sad event, actually. SInce then the coach has done quite a bit helping to raise $ for the U. Virginia Children's Medical Center and NICU, which we are active in helping too. SO I give him credit and thanks for that. Still root against them though.

cslewis1

Guru
Saw the good Colonel mentioned App State up there with 10 white starters. They handed JMU it's lunch two weeks ago. 21-10 but the game wasn't even that close. And they are defending 1-AA champs too!
smiley32.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
If anyone wants to watch the Ball State-North Dakota State game, let me know before 5:30 Central time. I have access to it. Kyle Steffes is the awesome halfback for ND State.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
ND State ended up beating Ball State 29-24. HB Kyle Steffes had 54 yards receiving and 76 yards on the ground. I watched the game online through ND State's website, and it was awesome. ND State is a fun team to watch. Way to go guys!
smiley32.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Montana's WR Ryan Bagley led all receivers with 5 catches for 68 yards and a score in a win against Portland State.

North Dakota State WR Kole Heckendorf lead all receivers with 8 catches for 103 yards in a win over Stephen F. Austin. RB Kyle Steffes lead all rushers with 24 for 100 and a TD, and a 10 yard catch.

Georgia Southern's RB Chris Covington lead the game in rushing with 18 runs for 106 yards and 2 scores. He also lead all GS receivers with 2 snags for 35 yards. TE Hal Scarborough had a 10 yard catch. GS beat Western Carolina.

Brown was without star RB Brandon Markey, and lost to Rhode Island. RI has RB Joe Casey who had 25 runs for 140 yards and 2 TDs. Sophomore RB Jimmy Hughes added 6 runs for 26 on the ground and a 30 yard catch.

Harvard WR Cory Mazza had 4 catches for 118 yards and a TD, while Lehigh WR Lee Thomas lead all receivers in the game with 6 for 122. Harvard won 35-33.

Dartmouth dual threat QB Mike Fritz threw for 255 yards and ran for 64 to lead his team in rushing in a close loss to Penn. WR Ryan Fuselier had 6 grabs for 66 yards. Penn RB Joe Sandberg had 22 runs for 65 yards, while WR Matt Carre lead the game with 7 grabs for 87 yards. Penn WR Braden Lepisto added 4 catches for 78 yards and a TD. RB Sam Shepherd added 5 runs for 59 yards for Penn as well.

Princeton RB R.C. Langomarsino lead the team in rushing and receiving in a win over Columbia. He had 23 for 98 and a TD on the ground, and 4 for 35 through the air. RB Rob Toresco added 14 runs for 39 yards and a 15 yard catch.

Yale WR Ashley Wright led all receivers in the Lafayette game with 4 for 151 and a score. Dual threat Lafayette QB Brad Maurer had 282 yards through the air and 62 and a TD on the ground.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
On the RB front today, there were several great performances!

VMI RB Sean Mizzer had his teams only score on a long one, 68 yards. He had 13 carries for 114 yards and that TD.

North Dakota State's RB Kyle Steffes had 26 for 128 and a TD against Georgia Southern, who's white RB Chris Covington was held to 1 score and 22 yards on 12 carries.

Brown RB Brandon Markey was used sparingly, but had 9 runs and 14 yards while still trying to get back to 100% from an injury a couple of weeks ago.

Penn RB Joe Sandberg had 12 for 112 and a TD, and team-mate Sam Shepherd chipped in 10 yards on 2 runs.

Princeton RB R.C. Langomarsino had 14 carries for 39 yards, while team-mate RB Rob Toresco added 31 on 7 carries and a score.

Rhode Island star RB Joe Casey had 28 carries for 163 yards, and his team-mate Jimmy Hughes had 5 carries for 87 yards.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
We have an interesting matchup between I-AA Southern Utah and I-A Sun Belt member Florida Atlantic. This is a good and interesting game from a Caste perspective, as FAU has just 7 white starters. The SUU Thunderbirds have 17 white starters. SUU is 3-3 and FAU is 1-4. They play at 7PM Eastern Thursday.

Offense
QB-Wes Marshall
RB-Johnny Sanchez
Slotback-Bobby Pond
TE-Bret Johansen
Slotback-Craig Gritton
RT-Tim Husslebee
RG-Brandon Guzman
C-Matt Roan
LT-Mike Knight

Defense
DE-Jimmy Judd
DT-Aaron Fernandez
NG-Austin Curtis
MLB-Robert Takeno
OLB-Chad Westwood
DE-Levi Erickson
Nickleback-Derrick Brown
FS-Spencer Meier

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Jacksonville State plays Mississippi State in Starkville. JSU is 3-2 and State is 1-5. Here are JSU's white starters for the game. Not much different than State, but they might have a shot at beating State.

Offense
QB-Matt Hardin
RG-Al Jefferson
LG-Keith Gergel
LT-Devin May

Defense
WLB-George Summers