UDFA signing of interest

Gi-15

Mentor
S Craig Dahl ~ New York Giants

RB Kyle Steffes ~ New York Jets

FB Jesse Allen ~ New York Jets

courtesy of Draft Daddy, like always, the best source for everything football lol

just hope burks and tre sign soon with the packers or the bills or whatever team with a RB need.

backrow

Hall of Famer
thanks for heads up Gi, but after last year Lumsden and Hartigan fiasco i am not holding my breath.

ocaamikedm11

Mentor
Lumsden I believe signed with the Redskins though, who were set at RB. I like Steffes goin to NYJ cus they did have an RB need and I agree that I hope Tre Smith signs on with Buffalo or GB, both with RB needs...

backrow

Hall of Famer
Seattle signed Logan Payne. WR from Minnesota, Houston signed Jon Abbate, MLB from Wake Forest

whiteCB

Master
I believe the Cincinnato Bengals signed local standout Ohio U. MLB Matt Muncy to a 3 year deal. Congrats!
smiley4.gif

lumsdenpower

Mentor
Eric Deslauriers (FRENCH CANADIAN LIKE ME) SIGN WITH The Steelers!!!
So Can i hold my breath man? The depth chart of receiver in pittburgh is not so good..

backrow

Hall of Famer
ocaamikedm11 said:
Heard WR David Ball and DE Chris Frome signed with Chicago but not 100% positive

Frome did sign with Bears, as far as Ball goes, what are they going to do, put him in their naughty room with Mike Hass? what a waste of great WRs...

Gi-15

Mentor
lumsdenpower said:
Eric Deslauriers (FRENCH CANADIAN LIKE ME) SIGN WITH The Steelers!!!
So Can i hold my breath man? The depth chart of receiver in pittburgh is not so good..

hum, for one time, I hope the white guy become victim of the system, I really look foward to see eric in an Alouettes jersey lol
smiley36.gif

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Maybe the Bears will be forced into keeping either Hass or Ball b/c slow poke Justin Gage their fifth WR was cut. I think Ball is a stronger version of Hass. I can't believe Steffes signed with the Jets, but Tre Smith and Dan Burks who are better in my opinion are yet to find a suitor. Both Tre Smith and Dan Burks could have been top 10 RBs at this draft if they got a shot in college!

Gary

Mentor
Does anyone know if Matt Moore or Zack Taylor were picked up by an NFL team?

warrior16

Tre and Dan both understand the racial implications and how their race hindered their ability to be drafted.

In a 2002 article in the Birmingham News, Smith hinted at this.

Burks is a Vestavia Hills boy from Birmingham. He knew he was the great
white hope. His problem is he was injury prone. A hell of an athlete,
but a cocky POS.

Both though, should get a chance to play in the NFL.

Gi-15

Mentor
Tre got a tryout from the browns. lets hope he impress them.

<A name=389730>Browns | T. Smith trying out for team
Sat, 5 May 2007 00:24:01 -0700

Jeff Walcoff, of ClevelandBrowns.com, reports undrafted free-agent RB Tre Smith (Auburn) is trying out for the Cleveland Browns at their minicamp.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Good news, but I don't know about the outcome. I have the impression that Crennel is more fair than guys like Lovie and Dennis Green b/c he came out of New England. I still can't believe Burks hasn't even gotten a try out. Both these guys are very athletic.Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
warrior16 said:
Tre and Dan both understand the racial implications and how their race hindered their ability to be drafted.

but a cocky POS.

I'd like to see that article in the Birmingham news if you could help find it, thanks.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Tre will have a very hard time making the team.They brought in multiple running backs including C.Brown out of BYU. I hope I'm wrong but my guess is they are looking at Smith for a punt or kickoff returner if anything.I would be at least happy to see him get a roster spot and then maybe get a chance later on.Good luck to Tre.This kid has been screwed over as bad as almost anyone that I have ever seen.His career should have been fantastic if only he would have gotten the equal opportunity.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
ToughJ.Riggins said:
warrior16 said:

but a cocky POS.

I'd like to see that article in the Birmingham news if you could help find it, thanks.

The original links are long gone in cyberspace, but hereis the relevant portion from that and another article, as previously written about on CF:

Here's an excerpt from an article in the 8/22/02 Montgomer Advertiser: "[Smith] was 6A Player of the Year in Florida, and earned scholarship offers from Florida, Florida State and Nebraska. He was ranked in several publications as one of the nation's top 50 prep tailbacks. He even ran the fastest 20-yard shuffle run at the prestigious Nike football camp last summer. Still, college recruiters kept asking about a move to defense. Maybe cornerback. Maybe safety. Smith wasn't sure what to think. 'I don't know if it was the color of my skin or what I did,' Smith said." And here's an excerpt from the 11/1/02 Dothan (AL) Eagle, from an article titled "Auburn's Smith Proves Doubters Wrong": "During two-a-days, Smith said he believed he was overlooked by some college recruiters not only because of his size but also because of his race. White tailbacks are a rarity at the college level, so he was often encouraged to consider a position change. 'A lot of schools wanted to move me to defensive back,' he said. 'I don't know if it was the color of my skin or what, but I ran the fastest 20-yard shuffle at the Nike Camp in Miami and the guy said, 'You didn't touch the line, run it again.' They kept making me do it. I guess they didn't believe I was that fast.'" .

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Tre Smith is a much shiftier back than Curtis Brown. Brown doesn't have the burst of speed and ability to change directions as fast as Tre does. Tre is more of a scat back type, whereas Brown is a bit more of a bruiser, but he is certainly isn't perfect at it. The O-line at BYU helped him out immensely.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Thanks Don, good article. ESPN would never touch on something like this though. It seems to be the small papers that are more fair. They follow local H.S football better and see the white players get screwed. The Chicago Sun Times has had quite a few good articles of that sort.

"I'm really pleased with some who came in without a contract," coach Lovie Smith said. "A few of those guys will be coming back with us, and that's what you want."

Several undrafted free agents like New Hampshire receiver David Ball and quarterback Chris Leak have been impressive in their two days. Ball, who broke Jerry Rice's Division I-AA record for touchdown receptions, made repeated highlight-film catches, twice laying out to make diving sideline catches and also grabbing an overthrown ball on a deep post pattern and taking it in for a score.