UDFA signing of interest

First I noticed it with Tim Shaw, now I've noticed it about gary Russell. On the NFL's prospect profiles, why are these the only number's listed for Gary Russell?

Campus: 4.43 in the 40-yard dash ... 330-pound bench press ... 450-pound squat ... 320-pound power clean ... 31½-inch arm length ... 9 3/8-inch hands.

Where's his awful combine numbers of a 4.8 40 and benching 225 9 times? Nearly every prospect profiel has both their combine and campus numbers. NFL conspiracy?

backrow

Hall of Famer
other than David Ball, Bears also signed two undrafted white safeties, Jay Staggs and Andrew Shanle. They already have Adam Archuleta penciled in as a starter, too.

good luck to all of them!

backrow

Hall of Famer
Gi-15 said:
Burks was signed by the bengals today, not a good news for Ryan Englebert, who is still without a contract

yeah, there's no way in hell an NFL team will be colorblind enough to sign two white runningbacks... unless they'll shift Burks to FB...

Burks signed! That's great news. I was amazed up until this point that he hadn't been signed. However, from what little I've seen of both players, I thought Tre Smith had better potential. But as Backrow mentioned, they could very well attempt to convert Burks to bulk up to fullback, not an option for Smith who wisely went to the CFL since there's no place for a white scat back in the NFL. White backs in the NFL can only be bruisers, because a fast white back would be impossible of course.
smiley36.gif
smiley7.gif

I hope there's still hope for Englebert. It looks as though he hasn't much of a chance left. There's no way the Bengals will employ two whites at the position, and with the Bengals being the only team to see Englebert in camp, who knows what chance he'll have left of going to another team.

With Chris Morgan getting signed by the Colts, Leonard's situation with the Rams, Tre's tryout, Englebert's camp, and Burks' signing, has this been a more active NFL offseason in recent memory for white tailbacks? Or are there usually this many backs who are looked at then dumped due to the Caste System? Enlighten me. I know of the obvious snubs (Staley, Jervery, Forsey, Kretschmer, etc) , but in totality have there been more white tailbacks approached this offseason than in the recent past? If so, that's a small, yet mildy pathetic victory. But hey, even the slightest improvement is improvement nonetheless, right?
smiley1.gif

If not, LAME.
smiley11.gif

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
It's pretty much like this every season. There's always a very few star white RBs from small programs, kids who by all rights should have been starting for major programs, who are signed as free agent training camp fodder and aren't heard from again, along with the one or two white backs who actually were allowed to touch the ball at a I-A school, who also get waived. Leonard of course won't be waived, but it's far from clear how he'll be used by the Rams.

To put the most positive possible spin on it, Chris Morgan is in a good situation given the lack of running backs behind Adai now that Dominic Rhodes is with Oakland, plus the Colts are perhaps the least anti-white team in the league. There may be a microscopic chance that the Bengals keep either Burks or Englebert as their third or fourth tailback/special teams demon. Tre Smith will most likely be deemed "too small" even though plenty of small and short black RBs get opportunities but he might stick somewhere as a special teamer or kick returner.Thebest hope of these guys who aspire to play a position that has been locked shut to those of their race is to be like Dan Kuhn was with the Steelers last year, a backup fullback and emergency tailback who got a few touches at the end of lopsided games but who was never considered a "real" running back by the media and drunk white fans when the topic was the team's depth at the position behind Willie Parker, and whohas beengiven zero consideration to be the backup this season.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
backrow said:
Don, Tre is in CFL, and it's John Kuhn!
smiley17.gif

Thank God for punctuation. I was going to ask you who this DonTre guy is and why we should care if he is playing in the CFL?
smiley2.gif

smiley36.gif

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
backrow said:
smiley17.gif

Tre did try to hook up with an NFL team for this year and he was mentioned in WhiteAfflete's question above, and what I wrote applies to any time in the future he may try to make the NFL. Geez, you gotta really be on your toes at two in the morning around here.
smiley36.gif

backrow

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
backrow said:
smiley17.gif

Tre did try to hook up with an NFL team for this year and he was mentioned in WhiteAfflete's question above, and what I wrote applies to any time in the future he may try to make the NFL.  Geez, you gotta really be on your toes at two in the morning around here. 
smiley36.gif

that's right bud, gotta keep you focused at all times
smiley2.gif

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
DraftDaddy just posted the news that the Jets cut taliback Kyle Steffes in order to make room for Danny Ware, a less than impressive afalete from the Unviersity of Tennessee.

Ware had a TOTAL of 1,510 yards and8 TDs rushing over his three-year career as a Volunteer. i guess those paltry figures demonstrate enough "explosiveness," "playmaking ability," and "hip wiggle" to justify cutting the far-too-pale Kyle Steffes.

i mean, after all Steffes only put up those kind of numbers in an average year.

Steffes' year by year stats:

Sophomore: 1,055 yards and 13 TDs

Junior: 1,071 yards and 14 TDs

Senior: 1,250 yards and 13 TDs

after examining the situation, it makes perfectly good sense to mewhy the Jetscut Steffes for the black guy. it's plain as the nose on my face, or rather the pigment on his skin.
smiley5.gif

backrow

Hall of Famer
yeah i've just seen that. what a load of bullsh*t. now Jets are officially caste system teases, what with Nick Hartigan last year and Steffes just now...

Jimmy Chitwood said:
DraftDaddy just posted the news that the Jets cut taliback Kyle Steffes in order to make room for Danny Ware, a less than impressive afalete from the Unviersity of Tennessee.

Ware had a TOTAL of 1,510 yards and8 TDs rushing over his three-year career as a Volunteer. i guess those paltry figures demonstrate enough "explosiveness," "playmaking ability," and "hip wiggle" to justify cutting the far-too-pale Kyle Steffes.

i mean, after all Steffes only put up those kind of numbers in an average year.

Steffes' year by year stats:

Sophomore: 1,055 yards and 13 TDs

Junior: 1,071 yards and 14 TDs

Senior: 1,250 yards and 13 TDs

after examining the situation, it makes perfectly good sense to mewhy the Jetscut Steffes for the black guy. it's plain as the nose on my face, or rather the pigment on his skin.
smiley5.gif

I'd like to know more about this. Any official reason given? It doesn't seem like a bottom-line, merit-based decison to me, but there may be factors I don't know about. Any additional information?

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
highschoolcoach, here is the terse, but most complete,story i could find:

Monday, June 25, 2007 -- The New York Jets have claimed running back Danny Ware off waivers from the Tennessee Titans and have waived running back Kyle Steffes. The announcements were made by Jets' General Manager Mike Tannenbaum.
Ware (6 foot, 234) was originally signed by the Titans as an undrafted rookie free agent on April 30 before being waived on June 19. He ran for 1,510 yards and eight touchdowns on 320 carries over his three-year career at the University of Georgia. He also caught 28 passes for 357 yards and two scores.
Steffes was originally signed by the Jets as an undrafted rookie free agent on May 12. He played four seasons at North Dakota State University where he became the school's first running back to rush for more than 1,000 yards three times during his career.
it appears the Jets cut Steffes just to make room for Ware.