Toby Gerhart

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Electric Slide said:
When all these good things have been taking place with Toby Gerhart, why must some here still bash his chances and future potential? Toby has been doing everything right to this point. I in fact didn't even think it was possible for Toby to be considered top-3 on a high profile Heisman site. How long does it take for some of you to see a positive trend? We have some here saying Toby has "no chance," while even caste websites say he DOES have a chance! That is backwards. Look for the caste system to fall apart we need to encourage white RBs to go into the field of battle and test their skill against seemingly insurmountable odds. What if Toby was YOUR son? When you are having dinner with him after the game when he ran for 223 yards, would you tell him "Well son, you still have no shot." How do you think that would make him feel if his dad said that??? There is no value in trying to "predict" future failings. It does us and the white athletes involved no service. Who the heck cares if we were right, but hoped we would be proven otherwise? That doesn't make you smart, edgy, or cool. It's quite simply putting down someone who is doing the nearly-impossible. Just think of it, of all the people in the world only a small few live in America. Of that only 66% of so are white. Only have are male, and only a small percentage are capable of or will do sports. Of those only a small percentage play football, and only a small percentage at RB. Of those very few will make any college team, let alone a team like Stanford. And then he's at the top of the heap of all running backs, white, black, Hispanic, or Polynesian. Just think of that for a second and absorb it for a little bit. Let's hope he continues to defy the odds at some point, instead of saying "well, he's made it past 99 barriers, but he'll sure get done in on 100."

Look, I know there's a million things that could go wrong. There always is in any situation in life. But why must we constantly contemplate and forecast that kind of negativity? If the chips land the wrong way, than so be it. It's not the end of the world or of the life of the people involved. There's nothing we can do about that. I know what happened to Luke Staley, Brian Leonard, Peyton Hillis, and Jacob Hester. Those situations surely burned me as much as they did you. At least the latter three can hope beyond hope that something changes. Remember thought that those were different people, in a different situation, at a different time. Lets stay hopefully optimistic that this will be time when the stars are aligned, and everything goes the right way.

I'm hoping Toby is having good practices this week; is fielding all the attention from his team, family, friends, fans and the media well; is taking care of all his bumps and bruises; is feeling fresh, hydrated, energized and psyched up going into the game on Saturday; and runs like he's never ran before, scoring on multiple long runs, and poses for the Heisman after it. To hell with the 15 yard penalty, if he does that, the image will be repeated 100 times an hour on multiple stations, and will be the front-page photo Sunday morning of the San Jose News, the Palo Alto Times or whatever newspaper is for that hometown.

Go Toby! All the positive energy in the world is flowing towards you! Run like never before and show them what your made of!

As we discussed in another thread a few months ago, there are different ways to approach the problem. Negativity has its strengths if done in a way to alert people to the problem and make them angry about it.

I recall Pollyanna being bashed pretty strongly by some here because he wasn't "positive enough" about the way Peyton Hillis was going to be used this year. Well, guess what?Pollyanna was a virtual "Pollyanna" compared to how it's actually gone down in Denver. This crap has been going on longer than most posters here have been alive. When one White player after another has been royally screwed for at least 25 years, and really you have to go back to 1968 to when the Cultural Marxist Revolution really got going in sports, there's nothing wrong with being a realist. Being negative (realistic based on a scenario that has been repeated over and over again) can also motivate Toby Gerhart and any and every other White athlete. Telling someone they can't do something is just as powerful a motivator as telling someone they can. Quite frankly I enjoy and appreciate both approaches if done with the goal of raising White consciousness and opportunities for White athletes.

GWTJ

Mentor
I'd like to think that we have seen this screwing over of white players for so long now that we can accurately predict how things will go for Gerhart.

First, the discussion will start about his potential as a fullback. This is just planting the seed.

Next, he will fall in the draft rankings. He'll end up a 2nd round pick.

The most obvious bad thing that will happen to him next is that the NFL team with the best running back will draft him. It happened to Hester and Leonard so why not Gerhart.

He will then become a backup and slowly disappear from the minds of the DWF's.

Finally, no media person will support him in any way that implies he should be running the ball.

That's been the pattern so far.
smiley7.gif
Edited by: GWTJ

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
We're here to cheer for the breaking of these bad patterns!!

dwid

Hall of Famer
"It happened to Hester and Leonard so why not Gerhart. "

Because Hester was originally fullback that spent his senior season getting carries as a halfback, Leonard switched to fullback to block for Ray Rice. Gerhart hasn't blocked for anyone other than his quarterback in pass protection.

The worst thing the media can possibly say is "3rd down back"

Westside

Hall of Famer
Toby can break this vicious cycle but refusing to play FB and instructing his agent to advise teams that FB is an absolute NO GO! Fortunealtly, Toby has great options, Major League Baseball.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Westside said:
Toby can break this vicious cycle but refusing to play FB and instructing his agent to advise teams that FB is an absolute NO GO! Fortunealtly, Toby has great options, Major League Baseball.

I don't like the idea of Toby playing baseball. We need all the white runningbacks and receivers we can get and Toby needs to play in the NFL. Jeff Samardzija would have been a quality wide receiver in the NFL had he not chosen a different route.Edited by: whiteathlete33

Westside

Hall of Famer
WA 33 your right about getting white RBs that "run" the ball, not a another Hester who is a battering ram with life long neck injuries after his playing days are over.

If after Toby sets the criteria on what position he will play (tailback) and the NFL team doesn't give him assurances on said position. Then Toby has to resign, state the obvious to the media and pursue a career in baseball.

I remember Samardzija he was a great player, but he thought he had a better future in baseball. I think he is a pitcher. The comparision is a little different. The NFL is more open to allowing whites to play reciever that running back. Look at all the white recievers playing right now.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
There are quite a few white receivers in the NFL but its only around 10 percent of the total. That number is very low and white receivers should be about 3/4 of all receivers. Toby can get screwed by the NFL very easily just like Leonard, Hester, and Hillis.

TwentyTwo

Master
It would be the easy road to give up!! I do realize the last 1,000 yard rusher was Craig James-Patriots way back in 85'....If we can have a president that's black...then it's once again time for awhite "feature back" that will break 1,000 yards...if not his rookie year...why not in year 2 or 3?? History can rewrite itself...

I know as much as anybody the lame situation currently going on with Hillis; Leonard and Hester; but also expect to see Jake Sharp get a shot a tailback too; hopefully he can stay healthy!

Hoping Gerhartstays away from baseball too...(see Locker, Decker, Cooper) A TE conversion would be the most stupid move I have EVER heard of!Edited by: TwentyTwo

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Chill out guys. I know that the caste-system is a difficult barrier to overcome, but it will ultimately come down to the athletes to overcome it, and the DWF's to break out of their drunken stupor and see the blinding "white" light. Jacob Hester is a prime example of an excellent back, drafted early, yet rather than pushing for HB time, acquiesces to the caste-system as a WAY undersized fullback so that he can "help his team". That's swell, but he isn't helping his team or anything else by taking that role. It's a ground-up revolution, gotta start at the Pop Warner level, to middle-school ball, high school, and then D1 college. That's how Toby has done it, and will in the NFL too. It won't mean a thing if the young athletes in your own neighborhood aren't encouraged to break through as well.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
The problem with the caste system is that white athletes aren't allowed to speak up about these types of discrimination. Could you just imagine if Toby was forced to play FB and said, "No I won't play fullback just because I'm white." His NFL career would be over.No player wants to lose millions of dollars because of a positionchange. These talented white athletesaccept these positionchanges because playing in the NFL and making millions is great even if it means blocking for a black rb. For blacks its the norm to claim racism at every opportunity and have whitey give in to their demands because of white guilt. The key is to end the double standard.

j41181

Master
whiteathlete33 said:
The problem with the caste system is that white athletes aren't allowed to speak up about these types of discrimination.  Could you just imagine if Toby was forced to play FB and said, "No I won't play fullback just because I'm white."  His NFL career would be over. No player wants to lose millions of dollars because of a position change.  These talented white athletes accept these position changes because playing in the NFL and making millions is great even if it means blocking for a black rb.  For blacks its the norm to claim racism at every opportunity and have whitey give in to their demands because of white guilt.  The key is to end the double standard.
I don't follow football much, but I see this Toby Gerhart as a pure runningback and nothing more. Any position he's forced to take aside from this, is an absolute travesty. So, I'm hoping against all hope he's allowed to be a starting runningback as a pro from day one. BTW, that's one mighty long and impressive speech by ES!
smiley32.gif

You should email or post it someplace else to spread it's message and wisdom!
smiley20.gif
Edited by: j41181

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I love the post by E.S. as well. I am positive sometimes. Then other times I'm a little negative. I know for a fact that Toby could have 3000 yards rushing in one season and still get screwed. Sure he could win the Heisman but that won't force an nfl team to play him. The stereotypes are so engrained that it is very hard to break. I'm going to do my best to remain optimistic. We have to for Tobys sake. It just makes me sick with the treatment of these kids year after year. From Staley to Hass and on to Leonard and Hester. This league is so racist. We need equality. Toby needs to stay at running back. Even if it means risking losing millions. Like others said, he can always fall back on baseball.

Demand a chance to start. Demand to stay at your position. Demand to go to a team where they will play you. Don't except anything less than what you deserve. I hope somewhere out there, Toby gets this message. YOU ARE AN NFL RUNNING BACK PERIOD!

Guys thanks for the compliments on my post. It's my small contribution to trying to end the caste system. As for those that don't mind negativity, I guess everyone just has different personalities. I too get motivated when someone tries to say I can't do something, but I feel the most effective and inspired when I look at examples of people who have accomplished great things and apply that to my own life. But yes I agree, anything to help bring down the caste system with all due haste!

As far as that speech, I will correct my typos, and if anyone wants to email or send it out feel free, after I fix it!

EDIT: I fixed the typos in my long post, feel free to distribute, reproduce, copy and exhibit it throughout the universe!Edited by: Electric Slide

The pieces are falling into place! Somehow the ESPN Heisman experts have finally noticed Gerhart! They list him as the number 2 Heisman hopeful! WOW!
smiley99.gif

http://espn.go.com/college-football/heisman/

"2. Toby Gerhart, Stanford: Gerhart has really generated a lot of Heisman buzz during the past month, and I have him at No. 2 this week. He has run for more than 400 yards combined in the past two weeks as Stanford has upset consecutive top-10 teams Oregon and USC. That's huge. But in reality, he's been superb all season, with six other 100-yard games and 19 rushing touchdowns on the season. I'm not sure he can overtake Ingram unless the Alabama running back and his team stumble. However, in my eyes, Gerhart has a shot."

ncf_g_gerhart1_576.jpg

picture on front page of ESPN college fb page!Edited by: Electric Slide

Even caste-whores Sports Illustrated are jumping on the Gerhart bandwagon!!!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/gene_menez/11/16/heisman.nov.16/index.html

Gene Menez>HEISMAN WATCH

Battle of Backs: Ingram nearly loses top spot to Stanford star

Story Highlights
Stanford's Toby Gerhart nearly overtook Mark Ingram for the top spot
Ingram held on when he scored a 70-yard TD to finish off Mississippi State
Clemson's C.J. Spiller proved he can do it all after throwing TD pass vs. N.C. State

PRINT EMAIL Buzz up! FACEBOOK DIGG TWITTER RSS SHARE

gerhart.jpg

Toby Gerhart
Stanford's Toby Gerhart rushed for 178 and three touchdowns in the Cardinal's rout of USC.
Harry How/Getty Images

Quarterbacks have won eight of the last nine Heisman Trophies, and while that string of domination could continue this year with either Colt McCoy or Tim Tebow, The Watch is high on running backs. Backs fill the top three spots, and six of the top 10 and have been prominent on this list all season.

Per our end-of-the-year elimination process, this list will be narrowed to eight next week and five the week after. Then, on Dec. 7, we will unveil our top three choices, which will be how this final ballot will be sent to the Heisman Trophy Trust.

1. Mark Ingram, Alabama, RB, Soph.

Last week: 19 rushes, 149 yards, 2 TDs; 1 reception, 9 yards in a 31-3 victory at Mississippi State

Season: 194 rushes, 1,297 yards, 10 TDs; 25 receptions, 225 yards, 3 TDs

Heisman-o-meter: This is how close the Heisman race is: Until Ingram broke free for that 70-yard touchdown run to finish his night, The Watch was considering Toby Gerhart in this spot. Until then, the most memorable part of Ingram's evening was his 1-yard TD run, on which his helmet came off, leading to a nasty cut above his eye. With Alabama meeting Chattanooga this week, be careful to not read too much into Ingram's numbers. His candidacy will come down to his last two regular-season weeks (at Auburn and against Florida in the SEC Championship game).

Up next: Saturday vs. Chattanooga

2. Toby Gerhart, Stanford, RB, Sr.

Last week: 29 rushes, 178 yards, 3 TDs; 1 reception, 9 yards in a 55-21 victory at No. 11 USC

Season: 262 rushes, 1,395 yards, 19 TDs; 8 receptions, 87 yards

Heisman-o-meter: The Cardinal's big back makes another jump up this list, almost landing the top spot after gashing the Pac-10's former glamour team. Each time Gerhart touched the ball he seemed to run for seven, eight, nine yards a pop before really getting loose in the fourth quarter. For the second straight week he had a fumble that led to an opposing touchdown, but for the second straight week it was a minor storyline. Instead, the major news coming out of the game was this: Gerhart has a legitimate shot to win this thing.

Up next: Saturday vs. Cal

Another local article about Toby:

http://www.sfexaminer.com/sports/Spander-Heisman-hype-has-shifted-from-Best-to-Gerhart-70346537.html

"Spander: Heisman hype has shifted from Best to Gerhart
By: Art Spander
Special to The Examiner
November 18, 2009

Gerhart.jpg

Bruising Stanford running back Toby Gerhart (7) has run through Oregon, above, and USC the past two weeks, and he's ready for Cal on Saturday. (AP)

SAN FRANCISCO â€"

The Heisman Trophy often seems less a reward than a promotion. To be considered, you have to have talent, but you also have to have publicity, Hollywood-type stuff which catches the public's imagination and schools hope catches the voters' attention.

Cal went about it the right way with Jahvid Best, a superb running back, who played the hype game every bit as well as he played football, until he came crashing onto his head a couple of weeks ago, incurring a concussion which cost him not only any chance at the trophy, but also a chance at getting back on the field this season.

Now, it's the guy across the Bay, Toby Gerhart of Stanford, who's getting noticed, and while he won't win it either, the shame is that two legitimate Heisman candidates could have been competing in the 112th Big Game on Saturday at Stanford Stadium."

What I don't understand is why the writer said so matter of factly that he won't win it. Why did he have to include that when the tide has turned recently? At least he said that nobody is confused that Toby is a RB!

To win the Heisman, you pretty much have to be nationally famous going into the season. There have been exceptions, but not too many. I first heard the term "Heisman Trophy Candidate" in 1967, I believe. It referred to Gary Beban and O.J. Simpson. Beban won the Heisman with O.J. second. Beban won on his 3-year career while Simpson did not have a national reputation before 1967. From that time, you always hear players being called "Heisman Trophy Candidate so and so."

In a typical year, Gerhart would not have a chance because of a lack of publicity prior to 2009. This year? Maybe, if he has BIG games closing the season and Stanford wins them.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
<div id="text_top"><div id="fontprefs_top">http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/11/18/SPER1AM2F5.DTL<h1>Stanford's star stays grounded</h1>

The
ability to see blocks almost before they happen. The power to shrug off
tacklers without breaking stride. The mentality to finish plays with a
bruising flourish. Speed. Balance. The skill and toughness to block
blitzing defenders. The hands to catch passes.
</div></div>

<div id="article">
<div><hr></div>

<div>
<h2>Images</h2>

<a href="http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object/article?f=/c/a/2009/11/18/SPER1AM2F5.DTL&amp;o=" target="_blank">
plus-green.gif

View More Images</a>
</div>

<div><hr></div>

<div><hr>Stanford's
Toby Gerhart is the complete package as a running back. He has
something else that few other players have: his own personal spotter.</div>
</div>
<div id="text_bottom"><div id="fontprefs_bottom">

His dad, Todd, who coached him at Norco High School in Riverside
County, watches from high in the stands and flashes hand gestures. Toby
gave an example of one that, he says, means "as soon as I get through
the hole, he wants me to break to the sideline." Another means: Next
time, hurdle that tackler.

At halftime in the locker room, he checks his text messages. The eye
in the sky will tell him: "Hit it - you're running soft" or "Running
too high."

Gerhart obviously gets the message. Rushing for an average of 140
yards per game, the senior is ranked third in the nation. He could
break Stanford's season and career records for rushing touchdowns in
Saturday's Big Game against Cal.

He could even become Stanford's second Heisman Trophy winner, the
other being Jim Plunkett in 1970. (The front-runner appears to be
Alabama running back Mark Ingram, who has carried the Tide to a 10-0
record and the No. 2 national ranking.)

As Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh sees it, "The Heisman has evolved to
where 50 percent is about preseason hype, 25 percent is about giving it
to somebody who's on an undefeated team, and about 25 percent is about
actually what the player is accomplishing."

Todd Gerhart wasn't in any Heisman discussions at Cal State
Fullerton in the mid-1980s, but he was a fine power back, about the
same size as Toby, 6-foot-1, 235 pounds.

Todd admits it's not easy to strike a balance between demanding
coach and concerned parent. "I want him to finish runs but not take
excessive hits," he said. "I tell him, 'Finish the run lower.' Running
backs tend to get thrown around at the end of a play. I'm going, 'Why
don't you just go down?' "

That's not in Toby's DNA. Speaking of genes, his mother, Lori, was a
basketball star at Norco High, where Todd was the football star. Toby's
instincts on the football field, according to Harbaugh, come "from Mom,
Dad and God. (Players) come out of the crib with it. Either they have
it or they don't."

Toby and his brother Garth, the starting center on the Arizona State
football team, were running pass patterns through the kitchen shortly
after they learned to walk. The whole family is athletic. Two of Toby's
triplet sisters, Teagan and Kelsey, are freshman softball players at
Stanford. The third, Whitley, is playing at Cal Poly. The youngest boy,
Coltin, 15, is a strong-armed quarterback.

As Toby was rushing for a state-record 9,662 yards in high school,
college recruiters learned that in the Gerhart household, Tuesday is
Taco Night, Thursday is Spaghetti Night and academics count for a lot.

The standard course load at Stanford is 15 credits. This quarter,
Gerhart is taking 21. Then he'll be three courses from his degree in
management sciences and engineering. He's taking investment science,
integral calculus, introduction to optimization (engineering),
prehistoric archaeology and high-technology entrepreneurship.

He'd like to go to a four-year graduate program that would give him
both an MBA and a law degree, depending on how pro football works out.

He said that if he doesn't figure to be a high draft pick this
coming offseason, he might stay in school and play baseball again. An
outfielder, he hit .288 last season but is considered a pro prospect.

So how high would he go in the pro football draft? Dan Shonka,
general manager of Ourlads Scouting Services, an online operation run
by ex-NFL scouts, sees him as an early second-round pick.

C.J. Spiller of Auburn "is the only guy (among senior running backs)
we have higher than Gerhart," Shonka said. "My guess is he'd get
knocked into the second round by some of the junior running backs who
probably will come out."

The man whose Stanford touchdown records Gerhart is about to break,
Tommy Vardell, calls him "a phenomenal prospect." Vardell, the ninth
pick of the 1992 draft, played eight years in the NFL.

"The question will be what kind of a system he's in and how he can
leverage his assets," Vardell said. "If he can get the ball and run
downhill, I wouldn't anticipate him being any less productive in the
NFL than he is in college."

Perhaps Gerhart has a productive future in football, but he might
not match his current variety of production off the field. Besides
hitting the books hard, he's a bit of a YouTube star. He willingly
played along on a Stanford-produced video that poked fun at his
two-sport status and showed him trying - and failing - in other sports,
even synchronized swimming. At one point, he was hoisted out of the
pool by several of the swimmers.

The one he was standing on like a plank was senior Taylor Durand, who gave this assessment: "He's very clearly a land mammal."

Grounded, too, according to Meredith Ayres, a member of Stanford's
swim team who has dated Gerhart for two years. "He's very laid back,"
Ayres said, "and that's different from a lot of other people at
Stanford. He handles stress very well. He's really good at taking
things one at a time, and not projecting into the future."

One friend, however, sees a limit to what Gerhart can accomplish.

His roommate, Wande Olabisi, has a fine retort when the running
back muses that he could have been a good linebacker as well. "You'd
suck at it," Olabisi says. "You're not mean enough."

E-mail Tom FitzGerald at tfitzgerald@sfchronicle.com.</div></div>
Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/11/18/SPER1AM2F5.DTL#ixzz0XDshKoUY
Edited by: Colonel_Reb

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Another article that touches on the race issue and Toby's chances for the Heisman, this one is from the Oakland Tribune's Monte Poole. Typical doubting of Toby by the writer who is trying to act like he wants people to quit doubting Toby. He puts a lot of blame on white players instead of biased coaches, etc.

http://www.contracostatimes.com/sports/ci_13810992?source=rss

<h1 id="articleTitle">Monte Poole: Stanford's Toby Gerhart might be getting a shady deal in race for Heisman</h1><div id="articleByline">By Monte Poole
Oakland Tribune columnist</div><div id="article"></span>

HE
IS AN inelegant runner, blasting and banging and bouncing, lifting his
style from the University of Jerome Bettis, where tackler tuition is
paid in punishment.

But there is no
nationally recognized nickname attached to Stanford tailback Toby
Gerhart. Nor is his hype remotely commensurate with his status as the
most productive runner in the Pac-10 and conceivably the best in
college football.

The whispered suspicion, entirely plausible, is
that Gerhart's skin color somehow undermines his legitimacy, that he is
a victim of racial profiling. It's hard to make a persuasive argument
against the theory.

Playing at a West Coast school other than USC
surely works against Gerhart. Playing at Stanford â€" a smallish, private
academic heavyweight where Brad Muster and Tommy Vardell gained fame as
running backs â€" does nothing for Gerhart's baller cred.

It's
questionable, though, whether either of these factors more directly
impacts his relatively low profile than the fact that he is white.

If
Gerhart were as proficient at quarterback as he is at tailback, I can't
help but believe he'd be high on Heisman lists, waging fierce
competition with the likes of Texas' Colt McCoy and Florida's Tim
Tebow. And if Gerhart were an African-American running back, it's hard
to imagine he wouldn't be seen through the same glorified prism as
Alabama's Mark Ingram or Clemson's C.J. Spiller.

Not until<div style="width: 336px;"><div id="adPos" align="center"><no><o><no><o><no><o></o><o></o><o></o><o></o><o></o><o></o><o></div></div>recent
weeks, as Stanford affirmed itself as one of the country's better
teams, has Gerhart managed to eclipse the shadow of Cal's electrifying
Jahvid Best. Any doubt that Best, an early Heisman contender, still
would be in the race if he had Gerhart's numbers?

Yet
Gerhart's authenticity remains open to question â€" perhaps because it
is, as we all must concede, hard to trust the rare sighting. We don't
often see superb running backs in major college football who didn't
inherit a shade of brown skin from their parents.-This is BS!

Gerhart did
not, yet he's undoubtedly superb. He's treating this stereotype as they
all should be treated, with defiance and dismissal. His 1,395 yards
(5.3 per carry, third in the nation) and 19 touchdowns have come mostly
by using speed and thrust to blow through creases created by Stanford's
mammoth offensive line.

What Gerhart does is wear out defenses,
using his 6-foot-1, 237-pound physique, his relentlessness and his
endurance. He plays with every ounce, exhibiting the kind of energy the
late James Brown used to bring to the stage.-Wow, comparing Toby to a black dancer, that should get Monte fired!

Gerhart has
authenticated himself as the real deal. He did it with successive
1,000-yard seasons, by gaining the respect of his opponents, by beating
up Oregon and USC the past two Saturdays.

Yet Gerhart can't
outrun recent memory. Thus, he is saddled with the rather desultory
recent history of running backs with which he has skin color in common.

In
the 47 years since Jim Taylor was the last white running back to lead
the NFL in rushing, only two â€" John Riggins and Craig James â€" have had
1,000-yard seasons. Given the failures of men like John Cappelletti,
the last white tailback drafted in the first round (1974), as well as
the brief and unspectacular careers of fullbacks Muster and Vardell,
NFL teams have made a habit of using white runners as blocking backs.-Again, more BS

Jacob
Hester, a 1,000-yard tailback at LSU, is a fullback for the San Diego
Chargers. Care to bet where NFL teams project Gerhart?

The
smaller, athletic white runner likely will end up returning kicks or
playing wideout. That's the path of New England's Wes Welker, whose
terrific prep career spent mostly at running back led to few
scholarship offers â€" the college coach who recruits a white tailback
gets the raised eyebrow of skepticism â€" and a new position.

More
compact than Muster and quicker than Vardell, Gerhart is more a blend
of Bettis and, say, Curtis Martin. Not saying his career will match
theirs. But he is far better at running back than at receiver or even
fullback â€" certainly at the collegiate level.

Yet most of us in
the media, which generate much of the hype, surely wonder about
Gerhart's NFL future, as if he can't become an impact running back.

It's
conceivable, maybe likely, he won't be a star in the NFL. For now,
though, that's irrelevant. It doesn't diminish his achievements at
Stanford, where he is a bona fide star. And it shouldn't color the
perception of a guy whose star likely would be brighter if his skin
were darker.</div>

Edited by: Colonel_Reb

White Power

Mentor
wow well said finally some truth by maybe a black sports writer. Hey maybe their tired of the B. S. too you never know. This sports writer has big kahona's to state the obvious well said my freind.

Westside

Hall of Famer
Interesting article by a black writer, but as usaul tries to dismiss Toby at the next level in the last paragraph.