Tiger Woods

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
icsept said:
Wow. When the going gets tough, Tiger goes Williams sisters. He is so full of it - "I've been playing with a bad neck for about a month." Every time Tiger has so much as a hang nail, the whole world has been privy to it. He's definitely lost his mental edge.

Good analysis icsept. It's indeed the trusty ol' TNB "afflete" standard of feigning an injury when the performance is down.
smiley8.gif

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
Tiger also quit last week at Quail Hollow with a couple holes remaining. He was over 10 shots back when he finished his round on Saturday"¦so he withdrew with a supposed injury. Strange, he never seems to withdraw when he's winning or in contention to win.

The "World's Most Popular Athlete"Â￾ is quickly turning into a PGA Tour afterthought, especially with so many white golfers playing so well thus far. Older veterans like Tim Clark won today, and youngsters like Rory McIlroy won last week.

Solomon Kane

Mentor
great to see Tim Clark play so well and in such a prestigious tournament (tpc is one of those "near-major" tournaments, with the most lucrative purse in the world)

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
More great news!
smiley32.gif

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Solomon Kane said:
great to see Tim Clark play so well and in such a prestigious tournament (tpc is one of those "near-major" tournaments, with the most lucrative purse in the world)

yeh, the TPC is sometimes called the Fifth Major. Tim Clark almost always plays well in big tournaments, was nice to see him break through. He's another excellent South African player.

BTW, Woods was at the bottom of the fieldin driving distance before he withdrew. He saidthere wasa "tingle" in his injured neck. Kinda appropriate since he makes white reporters and announcers have tingles in between their legs. I turned on the Golf Channel 15 minutes ago for their post-TPC coverage and it's been all Tiger so far. It may be Jonestown II if he doesn't recover his game.

white is right

Hall of Famer
In more physical sports such as football or hockey having this injury signals the beginning of the end. I recall Alstott having a stinger problem that malingered and abruptly ended his career.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Hey Don was any of the coverage of Tiger about the fan that was tasered after heckling him? I didn't hear a word of that in any of the coverage I saw. But Drudge had this story from an English paper.

Police Taser fan who heckled Tiger WoodsEdited by: jaxvid

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
That short article is really something, jaxvid. The craziest/funniest line is "The 36 year old resisted attempts to calm down"
smiley25.gif
smiley128.gif
Exactly how does that happen? I think it is worth noting that they claim the man was intoxicated when he was heckling.

f3dor

Guru
i called a long time ago that woods does not have the technique for longevity.

As a golfer of pretty high standard myself, you can see players like jack nickalaus, and tom watson actually wernt that good at putting(relatively), they relied on natural ability and great technique. Ernie els is the same. These are th type of guys that will/have won majors in their 40's. Woods however relies very heavily on his scrambling, pressure putting, which only twindles as you age.

Add the fact that he literally cannot drive the ball because he swings two hard. Hes always done that, and it was inevitable that he was going to get injuries from that. 34/35 is not old but if all you have done in your life from the age of 2, with that riduculous technique on the driver.It will takelarge toll on the body.

Compare to players such as ernie els, who has ben finding form this year, mickleson and freddie couples. All have nice smooth swings with a decent tempo. Types of swings that will give you longevity.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
jaxvid said:
Hey Don was any of the coverage of Tiger about the fan that was tasered after heckling him? I didn't hear a word of that in any of the coverage I saw. But Drudge had this story from an English paper.

Police Taser fan who heckled Tiger Woods

That's the first I've heard of it. It's appalling how commonplace tasering (a form of torture) is becoming in Jack Bauer's America.

JReb1

Mentor
Don Wassall said:
jaxvid said:

Police Taser fan who heckled Tiger Woods
<div></div>
<div></div>
<div></div>
<div>That's the first I've heard of it. It's appalling how commonplace tasering (a form of torture) is becoming in Jack Bauer's America. </div>

True, my brothers wife called an ambulance because she thought he may have took too much pain medicine and he was fine when the paramedics got there but since he didn't want to go to the hospital the PO just tasered him bare chested no less, for no reason and without warning. My brother still has scars from the burn marks it left.
smiley7.gif

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
JReb1 said:
Don Wassall said:
jaxvid said:
Hey Don was any of the coverage of Tiger about the fan that was tasered after heckling him? I didn't hear a word of that in any of the coverage I saw. But Drudge had this story from an English paper. Police Taser fan who heckled Tiger Woods
<div></div>
<div></div>
<div> </div>
<div>That's the first I've heard of it.  It's appalling how commonplace tasering (a form of torture) is becoming in Jack Bauer's America.  </div>
True, my brothers wife called an ambulance because she thought he may have took too much pain medicine and he was fine when the paramedics got there but since he didn't want to go to the hospital the PO just tasered him bare chested no less, for no reason and without warning. My brother still has scars from the burn marks it left.
smiley7.gif

Thus is the rise of the police state & Orwell's "Oceania".
smiley18.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
On the first day of the TPC last week, Woods answered questions from the media about his health by saying he had no issues and was "100 percent." Then after he withdrew he claimedhis neckhad been bothering him since before the Masters, once again showing that he's an accomplished liar with no credibility.Edited by: Don Wassall

C Darwin

Mentor
Tiger Woods: The "Best Golfer Ever!"Â￾
By Steve in the swamps

http://steveintheswamps.wordpress.com/2009/12/23/tiger-woods-the-best-golfer-ever/
It's frequently stated how Tiger (formerly Eldrick) Woods is the best professional golfer of all time. This may be, and possibly is true. However, there is also an exaggeration in how he is supposed to be the best of all-time!

My analysis even disregards that many never play golf, and very very few people even play golf enough to play professionally. Most play as a child, and never play again-or, wait until late teenage years to get serious about golf. And, Tiger Woods most likely started playing golf at much younger age (with yet more opportunities) than the other PGA Golf Greats.

Analysis:

List of PGA Championships:

1. Sam Snead 82 wins (1937-1980:25-68 years old). 43 years, with much in old age.

2. Jack Nicklaus 73 wins (1961-1986:21-46 years old, and futile shots later in his life) 25 years of primary play. He had a hip problem later in his career, and had to compete with Sam Snead and Arnold Palmer.

3. Tiger Woods 71 wins (1996-present: 20-34 years old and many more to play) 15 years of play thus far. Unlike the other players it should be noted that he has modern day medical technology to correct his vison to a degree superior to even default for most (which he did, with Lasik), heal injuries much more quickly than the other Golf Greats did (with a very new medical procedure which brought him back to his prime in no more than 8 months) , and legal muscle enhancement. Without spreading a rumor I cannot prove, I will also add that there is the opportunity to use steroids now (unlike the pre-90"²s). He also has more money and financial opportunities than the other golfers, as the PGA is more of a major business than even its most entertaining era-and he has endorsement deals and big money that the other PGA golf greats could only dream of! It makes since he would have an unfair advantage.

4. Ben Hogan 64 wins (likely after 1930(for PGA)-WW2,1945 (?)-1949;17-29, 32-36) about 16 years in this first phase. He presumably fought in World War 2, from probably 1941-1945-much of his prime at age 29-33. He played maybe a year more than Tiger Woods thus far (which is unlikely, as he may have joined the PGA signficantly later than 1930), but Tiger Woods played more in his prime, and uninterrupted from outside influences like a War. Ben Hogan also got near-fatally injured in 1949, at the age of 36. He almost lost the ability to walk, if not his life. As indicated above, he also had to compete with Sam Snead during most of his first phase. He would also have circulation problems and other playing limitations for the rest of his life. [I think Tiger Woods should consider himself lucky! He keeps all but one of his overpaying endorsements after getting caught for 15+ affairs, while another man almost died, and had near-fatal injuries, trying to save his wife!] He recovered and returned in the 1950"²s winning well, while struggling from injuries and competing with #1[in the official ranking of championships] Sam Snead. Apparently with complications, Hogan did not play well in his 50"²s during the 1960"²s. My source says he retired in 1970, although it should also be noted that he had to compete with Sam Snead throughout almost all of his career, and suffered from health complications in the 2nd phase of his career (after his mid-30"²s, 1950-1970). Imagine, if he never fought in World War 2, never got injured in his car crash, and didn't have to compete with Sam Snead?! He or Sam Snead would probably be the best golfer of all-time, not Tiger Woods!

Sam Snead also had to compete with Ben Hogan, so their numbers would both be higher without covering virtually the same time-period.

5. Arnold Palmer 62 wins (1955-1980 at the latest; 26-51) about 25 years of play. he also had to compete with Sam Snead and Jack Nicklaus for most of his career. For significant amount of time, he also competed with Ben Hogan.

6. Bryon Nelson 52 wins (1932 at the very earliest-1946; 20-34) 15 years of play in the PGA maximum. He played no more than Tiger Woods has already; and he had to compete with Sam Snead and Ben Hogan, for virtually his whole career. And he permanently quit, at Tiger Woods' current age. He also started at the same time. The difference is that he had much more competition.

7. Billy Casper 51 wins (1954-presumably mid 1970"²s; 23-44 years old.) about 21 years or so played with PGA. He had to compete with Sam Snead, Ben Hogan, Jack Nicklaus, and Arnold Palmer for most of his career.

8. Walter Hagen 44 wins (1912-1936?; 20-44?) about 25 years of play. He was among the first major players, being born in the 19th century. He didn't have too much competition until very late in his career, but he did help revolutionize the game.

These are likely the eight best golfers of all-time. And most of them-Sam Snead, Jack Nicklaus, Ben Hogan, Arnold Palmer, Bryon Nelson, and Billy Casper ALL had to compete against each other-although not all overlapped with all others. But, most overlap with each other almost perfectly, and in the golden age of the PGA. Now it's Tiger Woods, almost all by himself. His closest competitor is Phil Mickelson, with 37 wins and maybe on the decline already-soon past his prime. His next top competitor is Vijay Singh, with 34 wins. At 46, Vijay is very apparently past his prime. Compared to the other golfers, Tiger Woods has very little competition. He also has medical surgery, and supplements to give him an advantage unavailable even twenty to thirty years ago. With new technology, he will be able to retire at a much later age, than the others, and thus play longer. It's too subjective to just call Tiger Woods as objective absolute #1 of all-time.

While Tiger Woods will all but certainly break all of the major golf records-including total wins- and is considered the best ever already, there is a whole collection of factors that entail the question. Instead of being absolute number 1, would it be more appropriate to just name Tiger Woods merely as one of the elite golfers of all-time? I think so.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I've never boughtthe argument that Woods didn't have the quality of competition that Nicklaus, et. al, did. The top 125 or so players on tournow aresuperior to the 125 of any past era. Just about any of them can win on any given week, which was not true in the past. Would Phil Mickelson have been an also-ran if he had played against Nicklaus, Palmer, Trevino, Player, and Casper? I don't believe so. He may well have been better than any of them except Jack, and as it is he continues to climb the all-time rankings in wins and majors.

Golf has changed over the years just as other sports have.It now has the quality of the past combined with much more quantity -- most of the pros today have been focused on being professional golfers since they were wee lads and have gotten the best training and instruction all their lives.

Woods is a freak, an anomoly, even more so than the Williams sisters in tennis. And he's only a quarter black; given that blacks are about as good at golf as they are at swimming and skating, and any sport that requires superb hand-eye coordination, his golfing gifts clearly come from his White and Asian genes. Hopefully his Negro genes will contribute to a rapid and permanent end to his dominance.
Edited by: Don Wassall

Van_Slyke_CF

Mentor
Tiger Woods improved this tournament by finishing 19th.

Justin Rose won The Memorial. Good for him. A lot of talented young white golfers on the PGA Tour, it seems.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
Van_Slyke_CF said:
Tiger Woods improved this tournament by finishing 19th.

Justin Rose won The Memorial. Good for him. A lot of talented young white golfers on the PGA Tour, it seems.

Well, another mundane performance from Mr. Woods. The mandatory knee-jerk reaction for every single creature on planet earth to immediately agree that Woods is the "World's Greatest Golfer"Â￾ may be slipping into oblivion. ESPN rarely mentions Tiger anymore"¦I think they're a little embarrassed of their 10+ years of candid veneration of such a snobbish, womanizing jerk. I would be, too. Rose looked great, especially considering how he usually misses the cut in bigger tournaments. Best of luck to the Englishman him in the future.

f3dor

Guru
more evidence of my prediction of woods wont win another major ever again. Certainly wont take the g.o.a.t the golden bear.

His best chance is st andrews, which has no rough and about one tree, and hence he can spray it anywhere with his woeful driving and rely on his scrambling abilities.

But the guys getting no younger and putting is the first thing to go, look at the carpark king seve. His game took its toll over the years because of the mental strain of scrambling.

I honestly dont think woods is in the top 20 most gifted golfers ever, the guy started when he was 2 and thats all he did....

Another white brit does well. Wer have paul casey, luke donald, rose, mckilroy, poulter, lee westwood etc.

Van_Slyke_CF

Mentor
On ESPN's First and Ten yesterday, the talking heads were debating about the best-ever debut of a professional athlete in the aftermath of Stephen Strasburg's great pitching performance.

Now two of the guys considered the FIRST time to appear in a game, match, competition or whatever else as the definition of a pro debut, but Skip Bayless kept wanting to bring up Tiger Woods' 1997 Masters title, even though he first played on the PGA Tour in '96.

Bayless just wouldn't give it up. Tiger's Masters win was the best, blah, blah, blah.

The worship of Tiger Woods knows no limits.Edited by: Van_Slyke_CF

I have thought that the reason even some DWFs don't like Tiger is BECAUSE of the unlimited hype he receives ("Woods finishes third"). Generations past, people picked their own sports heroes. Now, we are told who are favorite sports stars are supposed to be. Woods is the best illustration of this.

Bart

Hall of Famer
sport historian said:
Generations past, people picked their own sports heroes. Now, we are told who are favorite sports stars are supposed to be. Woods is the best illustration of this.

Absolutely correct. I was listening to my local sports shows today and they were all crying the blues. The Open was too tough. People tuned in to see if Woods would continue to play as well as he did Saturday. The winner was not the best golfer, but just a guy who managed to avoid the most land mines. One host said he turned the tv off when he realized Tiger wasn't going to win. Boo Hoo! It's all about Tiger Woods 24/7.