Peyton Hillis

WHITE NOISE

Mentor
I'm hoping for NOshow Morano to get hurt and I don't mean a strain, I'm talking full blow-out of the ACL baby!Edited by: WHITE NOISE

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
it doesn't take a genius to read between the lines of this article titled: "Hillis glad to help anywhere," and see that Peyton isn't happy "to help anywhere."
he, as well as all of us at Caste Football, believe he belongs at tailback. here's the full article:

<H1 id=articleTitle =articleTitle>Hillis glad to help anywhere</H1>
<DIV id=articleByline =articleByline>
<DIV =articleByline>SEATTLE â€" Thing is, Peyton Hillis can run. He can catch. And he can block.
<DIV id=article =article>

And he can do all of those things well enough that even Hillis himself may not know where Peyton's place should be on a football field.

"A guy like me, it's probably pretty hard for somebody to pinpoint what position to have me do, where to put me all the time," Hillis said. "So in that way I guess your blessing's also your curse. All you can do is live with the decisions the coaches make and work hard and hope they all pan out for you."

So while a lot of things changed in and around the Broncos after coach Mike Shanahan was fired and Josh McDaniels was hired, the fact that Hillis will be asked to do a lot of things in the Denver offense has not been one of them.

Hillis has already lined up in training camp as the running back, the fullback, as a receiver and as a tight end. Toss in a steady diet of special teams and that's a full docket.

"(He's) kind of an older-school guy," McDaniels said. "Physical fits him, tough fits him, smart, plays a lot of positions on our team."

In his rookie year last season after the Broncos made him a seventh-round draft pick, Hillis became just the second player in franchise history to have a 100-yard rushing game and a 100-yard receiving game in the same season. He joined Ring of Fame member Floyd Little with that distinction.

But it was nothing new for Hillis, who played running back, fullback, wide receiver, H-back and tight end and returned punts for Arkansas. He was a good enough runner and blocker to be a regular contributor in a star-studded backfield that included Darren McFadden and Felix Jones â€" both first-round picks in the 2008 draft.

However, that versatility means Hillis hasn't always been left alone to flourish in one spot, to perhaps be all he can be with far fewer things on his to-do list.

"It got on me every now and then, got me down, especially in college, but I just finally learned that my blessing was to do a lot of things on a football field," said Hillis, who finished the 2008 season on injured reserve after tearing his right hamstring in a game against Kansas City on Dec. 7. "So you get used to it, I guess."

Good thing, because McDaniels has plenty of plans for him as well. Being a disciple of Bill Belichick, McDaniels will certainly play matchup football above all else. Belichick is regarded as one of the NFL's best at taking away what a team wants to do the most and at finding one-on-one matchups all over the field that work in his favor.

McDaniels' offense is built on changing formations, moving receivers around to create indecision by the defense as it sets its coverage. That is why a player like Hillis appears all over the formation.

Hillis played fullback and running back Saturday night as well as lining up wide in the formation several times. He carried the ball twice for 5 yards â€" he had a 29-yard run called back on a clipping penalty by Ryan Clady â€" to go with an 18-yard reception.

"I think as time goes on, I like doing a lot of things more and more," Hillis said. "Again, you know, your blessing can be your curse sometimes. You can love something too much, you can spend too much time with something â€" that's when you've got to learn how to balance.

"Some people spend too much time with their job, not enough with their family. You've got to balance things out. I think I'm learning how to balance it all out and just try to work as hard as I can on all of it so I can do whatever they want me to."

Hillis also may have been the most consistent running back in training camp.

"If I meet somebody and they ask me what position I play, I always just say an 'athlete' or that I do a lot of things," Hillis said. "Being classified as an athlete is better than the rest anyway. So I'll go with that. I'm an athlete."

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Peyton Hillis is an incredible athlete! I hope the Denver coaches will be smart enough to use him often as a RB because I think that is where he is best. He is definitely the best RB on the team. If they would use him and Brandon Stokley, their best WR, they would be a much more explosive offensive team.

Tom Iron

Mentor
Gentlemen,

I think if he gets his hands on the ball as much as he did last week, this coming week, Hillis will be the acknowledged starter by the end of the year. Barring injury of course.

Tom Iron...

WHITE NOISE

Mentor
The way coach has him playing all over the place including special teams, one would thing they are deliberately trying to get him hurt. My God just let him run the freaking ball.

Kaptain

Master
It goes so far beyond ridiculous that Peyton Hillis is being used on the meat squad in preseason no less. The Broncos best running back coming off a season ending injury. WTF? Only in the NFL.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
beyond ridiculous is right, Poop. check out this column, which despite admitting that Hillis has looked impressive claims that the Broncos are desperately missing Moreno.

What player did the Broncos miss the most in Saturday's 27-13 preseason loss at Seattle?

Brandon Marshall? No.

Brian Dawkins? Hardly.

Jay Cutler? Not even warm.

How about rookie running back Knowshon Moreno?

Yep, that's who.

Moreno may have had only three rushes in the preseason opener against San Francisco, but the Broncos offense are in obvious need of a running attack to rest the defense which got worn down by poor field position throughout thesecond half against the Seahawks and too much time spent on the field because of an ineffective running game.

Admittedly Chris Simms' ankle sprainlimited what the Broncos could do in the final quarter because Tom Brandstater was obviously overwhelmed thrust into subbing at quarterback. Darrius Walker led the Broncos running game with 11 carries for 48 yards. Peyton Hillis again was effective but his longest gain was negated by a penalty by Ryan Clady. Correll Buckhalter and LaMont Jordan have not been overly impressive in the first two preseason games-- Jordan has 29 yards on 11 carries in the two preseason games;Buckhalter is 8 for 19.

We realize it's just the preseason game, but the Broncos are going to need a running game to take considerable pressure off quarterback (now the obvious No. 1 QB) Kyle Orton. Let's face the facts: Orton may be a serviceable signal caller but he's not going to make Broncos fans forget about Jay Cutler any time soon.

That's where Moreno's absence from an MCL sprain in his knee is even more crucial.

And his quick return is even more important. The Broncos lost seven running backs to injury a year ago; now Moreno's imminent return proves the importance of the position even more for Denver.

The Broncos need Moreno's speed, shiftiness and innate ability because he has the entire package.

Hillis is an excellent receiver, blocker and occasional ball carrier, especially in the red zone. Jordan and Buckhalter have veteran leadership and a history of success. But none of them have all of the skills put together to match Moreno. The former Georgia back proved a lot in three measly carries against the 49ers. Plus, he showed his toughness while staying in the game despite an obvious injury.

When Moreno returns, let's hope he's healthy and then maybe the Broncos' ground game will prove just as effective as many expected it would be.

If that happens, the offense can utilize all its skills, from Orton to Brandon Marshall, Brandon Stokley, Eddie Royal, Jabar Gaffney, Tony Scheffler, Hillis, Daniel Graham, et al.
yep, Moreno has that "innate ability" alright! and he showed it by carrying the ball three times before getting hurt. amazing! in fact, since he's slower, smaller, and weaker than Hillis, AND he can neithercatch nor block as well as Hillis ... let's make him the starter!

these guys are unbelievable.

green fire317

Banned
"Jordan and Buckhalter have veteran leadership and a history of success". that has to be my favorite line, because it is so false.

dwid

Hall of Famer
I don't recall Hillis getting that many carries. I think he had that one long one that was negated and then one other one. Hillis carrying the ball more is what was missing. He has already proven that he can be the main back last season. What has Moreno proven? Yes he did well in the SEC but apparently that means nothing in the pros because Jacob Hester sure hasn't had a real opportunity to run the ball.

They don't need Moreno. They wasted a first round pick. The guy they need was already on the roster before the draft.Edited by: dwid

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
dwid said:
I don't recall Hillis getting that many carries. I think he had that one long one that was negated and then one other one. Hillis carrying the ball more is what was missing. He has already proven that he can be the main back last season. What has Moreno proven? Yes he did well in the SEC but apparently that means nothing in the pros because Jacob Hester sure hasn't had a real opportunity to run the ball.

They don't need Moreno. They wasted a first round pick. The guy they need was already on the roster before the draft.

You are right they don't need Moreno. This is typical NFL procedure though. Whenever a white shows skills at a caste position they draft another negro. Mike Furrey caught 98 balls so they drafted Calvin Johnson. This is just another example.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Jordan and Buckhalter have no history of success in this league. Buckhalter had been playing behind Westbrook in Philly. Jordan has been bounced around by a few teams, but isn't very good. I agree, Moreno was a wasted pick. If I recall, don't Hillis and Moreno run about the same 40 time now?

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Jack, ashas beenposted in various places, Hillis is actually slightly faster than Moreno. this, despite Peyton being a significantly larger man.

dwid

Hall of Famer
Yes, Hillis is definitely faster. Hillis ran a 4.58 I recall. I know a few sites changed it after he actually got to start at tailback, but I remember because I thought Hester would be the faster White tailback, Hester ran a 4.6. Moreno a 4.63. Hillis is 6'1 250, Moreno 5'11 217.

Bigger, Stronger, Faster

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Yeah JC, I remeber seeing it in different places, but I didn't have the time tonight to go and look for it, so that is why I asked. Usually I can find this myself, but I was to busy to spend more than a few minutes on here tonight.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Some good news -- it looks like Moreno won't be ready by Week 1 at the earliest. But this article is infuriating the way it describes Hillis. The team's primary goal should be to keep him healthy, but because he's white he has to also be the "primary fullback" and have a "full plate of special teams duties." Pathetic:

<DIV id=sidebar>
<DIV id=>
<DIV =post>
<DIV =title id=post-1351>Broncos need some good health at RB
<DIV =title>
<DIV =title>

After spending much of the preseason saying there was plenty of time, the Broncos now have a little more than two weeks for their backfield to get a little healthier.

The team has averaged 3.5 yards a carry in its two preseason games.

With Knowshon Moreno and LaMont Jordan having missed significant parts of the preseason, what was a position of strength when training camp opened now has some concern associated with it.

With the regular-season opener now 17 days away and Moreno not yet expected to be full speed â€" either in his recovery from a sprained knee or his football conditioning â€" by the time the Broncos go to Cincinnati, it means the Broncos' plans of running back by committee could have just two members.

Correll Buckhalter has taken most of the practice reps with the starters of late, but Buckhalter has had major surgeries on both knees in his career and has carried the ball more than 20 times in a game just twice in his career, neither of those since 2003.

Peyton Hillis is the other option at the moment, but Hillis has a full plate of special teams duties to keep him busy as well as well as being the team's primary fullback.

Early on Darius Walker, who started two games for the Texans in 2007, could be in the mix as well if the Broncos are concerned enough about depth to keep him on the 53-man roster.

But all in all Moreno's injury is still giving the Broncos run game a limp.
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2009/08/27/broncos-need-some-good-health-at-rb/

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I don't like this idea at all. Jason Sehorn began returning kicks for the Giants after establishing himself as a stud corner and promptly had one of his knees blown out returning a kickoff in a preseason game and was never the same. Call me cynical but I fear the same will happen to Hillis. Just let him be the star running back he can be.

To shore up kickoff return, Hillis receives plenty of reps

True to his word, Broncos coach Josh McDaniels has looked at some additional kickoff returners this week.

Running back Peyton Hillis has spent plenty of time fielding kickoffs in practice. Hillis returned punts and kickoffs as a college player at Arkansas.
full article: http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_13211947

Taco

Guru
Isnt Hillis a little too big to be doing kick returns? Returners are usually smaller, agile guys, not powerbacks like Hillis.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Well Taco, Hillis is extremely agile for a man with bull-like power and returned punts at Arkansas. The NFL is truly ridiculous though. Hillis is another Brandon Jacobs/ Marion Barber/ Beanie Wells, but somehow because he's a big back "and white" they just can't fathom him being a tailback (even as part of a tandem backfield with Moreno or someone else). The NFL is completely asinine and is a tool of the white hating cultural Marxists.

Move over whitey, this is the (N)ot (F)or-Whites (L)eague! Covered by the (E)xaggeration of (S)ports (P)erformance of (N)egros network...I don't like using the word Negro, but this if for humor effect!

WHITE NOISE

Mentor
WHITE NOISE said:
The way coach has him playing all over the place including special teams, one would thing they are deliberately trying to get him hurt. My God just let him run the freaking ball.

And now, kick offs and punt returns. I rest my case.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
That would be a convenient way to deal with the "controversy." The organization must keep cursing its bad luck that all of its black running backs went down last year and forced them to play their extremely talented "fullback" at tailback. And now their first round draft pick, who was supposed to ease Hillis back into his racially slotted "natural" position, was late to sign and was promptly injured.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
i agree completely with the dismay that my fellow posters have with this scenario, but i also have an additional question with this new development ...

if Hillis is fast enough to be considered as a kick returner, why isn't he fast enough to be a tailback?

"if Hillis is fast enough to be considered as a kick returner, why isn't he fast enough to be a tailback?"

Because his skin color makes him low-paid and expendable.