backrow

Hall of Famer
20090609_122223_Hillis060909.jpg

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Thanks for the info backrow!

White Power

Mentor
That's one bad mother of a white boy. He will carry the ball, and out play Moreno because he is a complete player in every aspect of the game.

green fire317

Banned
do the broncos really think that older running backs like jordan and buckhalter can get the job done? and Moreno isnt that big of a back, i dont think he has the body things needed to survive. He is neither big nor has great speed. I dont see what all the rage about this guy is. if Denver wants a running game this year they will have to go with Hillis.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
greenfire, I actually think Moreno was the best RB in the NCAA last season.

Despite his hilarious lack of straight-line 40 speed, the media annointed him as one of the best RB's available. Moreno reminds me of the hundreds of white RB's (namely, Brian Leonard) that play awesome and never get their chance. The difference, of course, is that Moreno (and every black player) is allowed to be slow, or lazy, or stupid, or a thug. All that does in fact matter is that they "fit the mold."

Similar to nearly every aspect of our racially-driven society...there are drastically different standards depending on your skin color. Thus, undeserving, inferior people can succeed if the head-counters allow them to do so.

whiteCB

Master
I noticed in the article above they never said Hillis can run the ball in two back sets, only one back sets. Oh wait I forgot you cannot possibly have a white man run the rock and have a brother lead blocking for whitey.

You know I really hate to be pessimistic but until I see Hillis getting carries in games I don't trust a word out of McDaniels's mouth. I just don't think this new coaching staff has any plans for Hillis to be getting carries, espcially with the drafting of Moreno. Also Hillis is to blame as well if he's a FB and not a HB. Where is Peyton at raising all hell and telling the media and coaches the facts that he averaged 5 YARDS A CARRY and showcased enough talent to warrent being a HB. Oh yeah I forgot Hillis is just another one of those "team players". Well good for him cause I hear being a "team player" gets you ZERO carries and a job as a battering ram for Moreno.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Every player this time of year is hyped by coaches as a superstar in the making.And the media,to keep up interest among the DWFs during the long football offseason, dutifully reports all the accolades. I agree that a wait and see attitude is the only realistic one to take when it comes to the Broncos. Moreno is going to get every opportunity to be the featured back; that's the only reason he was drafted that high. Hopefully Hillis will still be able to play an active role, reminiscent of that of Mike Alstott but with less runs and receptions. The bright side is that Hillis is probably only one injury away from major playing time this year, rather than six or seven like it took last season.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Good posts whiteCB and Don, and I agree with you.

The most yards he accumulated on the ground in one game was 129 against the Jets, along with a touchdown to boot. Though, when you look at his stats, and given the opportunity he had (e.g. not many, given the favoritism to the other backs), he performed amazingly when given the chance.

He basically didn't touch the ball Weeks 1-9. Week 9 he caught 7 passes for 116 yards and a TD, and Week 11 is when he took over for the injured Torain, where he scored two TDs, and he then went on to rush well and score a TD in every of his remaining games until he went down.
(Stats thus far: http://www.nfl.com/players/gamelogs?id=HIL734134)

It honestly sucks, how he was playing so well, showcasing himself to the doubting toms (aka nearly the entire media, populace of NFL fans, etc.) and now with a new Coach (who appears to be gung-ho on cookie-cutter RBs), he may not get as much time. Granted, the various articles have been spelling his praises and versatility, so perhaps we have much to look forward to this year!

Here's to hoping!
smiley20.gif

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Inside the Denver Broncos' Roster: The Fullbacks

For all of those who thought Peyton Hillis was forgotten in our running backs segment, fear notâ€"he essentially has his own briefing as the Broncos' starting fullback.

Hillis broke onto the scene as a rookie in 2008 when he unexpectedly had to fill in at tailback for the Broncos due to a barrage of injuries.

The seventh-round pick out of Arkansas did not disappoint.

Broncos fans knew he was something special when he converted on a key 4th-and-1 against the Cleveland Browns late in the game to keep the Broncos alive for their eventual victory.

Hillis scored five rushing touchdowns in a mere four starts and averaged five yards per carry on 68 touches, totaling 343 yards. The 6'2", 250-pound beast also proved to be very valuable as a receiver, catching 14 passes for 179 yards and a touchdown.

In my humble opinion, Hillis is the most versatile player on the Denver Broncos, and I defy anyone to not be impressed by the kid's YouTube heroics.

Sadly, Hillis' stellar rookie campaign was cut short by a freak hamstring injury he suffered in a 24-17 victory over the rival Kansas City Chiefs, and many NFL analysts felt the Broncos were a more complete offenseâ€"a more dangerous offenseâ€"with Hillis behind the quarterback.

Hillis is a rising star in this league, and I fully expect him to be a very valuable weapon on the Broncos' offense this year thanks to his ability to run, catch, and block with the best of them. He has great size and great speed (runs a reported 4.58 second 40-yard dash) and plays the game with a chip on his shoulder.

As a rookie, Hillis outperformed his two Razorback teammates Darren McFadden (Raiders) and Felix Jones (Cowboys), who were both first-round draft picks.

Behind Hillis on the Broncos' depth chart is converted linebacker Spencer Larsen, who is also a very versatile player.

Like Hillis, Larsen does just about everything well, except for the fact that his natural position is middle linebacker instead of fullback. He is a great special teams player, and while he may seem like a teddy bear off the field, he is a ferocious hitter on it.

With Hillis and Larsen paving the way for the Broncos' deep crop of running backs, the running game figures to flourish once more for Denver.

Projected Starter: Peyton Hillis (Acquired via 2008 NFL Draft)

Projected 2009 Stats: Car Yds. Avg. TD Rec. Yds. Avg. TD

80 400 5.0 7 30 300 10.0 3

I fully expect Hillis to get 90 percent of the carries inside the 10-yard line, and quite possibly 80 percent of Denver's carries from inside the 20. He also figures to have quite a few receptions on play-action fakes and screen plays split out as a wide receiver and as a tight end.

2008 FB Grade: A

2009 Roster Spots Filled by FB: 1/54 (Larsen will be included as LB)

2009 Roster Spots Filled Total: 8/54
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/206516-inside-the-denver-broncos-roster-the-fullbacks

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Another article on the Broncos' running game.

Training camp position-by-position preview: Running backs

Hillis should have gotten a chance to prove he can be a NFL tailback, considering he had some fantastic games at the position last year when pressed into duty. However, for now it appears most of his work will come at fullback, although he will probably touch the ball more than most NFL fullbacks. Hillis is a fantastic receiver out of the backfield.
full article: http://gazettebroncos.freedomblogging.com/2009/07/09/training-camp-position-by-position-preview-running-backs/679/

chris371

Mentor
Hello CFers,

im having yet another youtube argument, saying that Hillis should be RB instead of Moreno, as he is both faster and stronger. Some DWFs have actually stated " Speed and strength isnt important".

Anyway id be grateful if a few of you could take the time to help me change some minds. heres the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSjDe0WDuCg&feature=fvwEdited by: chris371

backrow

Hall of Famer
from rotoworld:

According to Broncos beat writer Frank Schwab, "running back Peyton Hillis might be the standout player of the camp."

Hillis has gotten more time at tailback than fullback as camp has progressed. New Broncos coach Josh McDaniels will use mostly one-back sets, so if Hillis is going to have an impact he'll have to earn carries.

full article here.

August 3rd, 2009, 1:11 pm · Post a Comment · posted by Frank Schwab
In the four days that the Broncos have put on the full pads in training camp, running back Peyton Hillis might be the standout player of the camp.

He was the best tailback in 7-on-7 drills today, using his power and explosion to get through the line on multiple runs. In an 11-on-11 red zone drill, Hillis showed off his hands by swinging out of the backfield and leaping for a touchdown catch in the corner of the end zone. He had a few extra repetitions at tailback because Correll Buckhalter was held out.

Hillis has gotten more time at tailback than fullback as the camp as progressed. Coach Josh McDaniels didn't want to concede that Hillis is more tailback than fullback at this point. But Hillis could have a chance to touch the ball plenty because McDaniels said his offense will use more on one-back sets.

"You're going to see a heck of a lot more one-back sets than two-back sets,"Â￾ McDaniels said. "So if you want to say he'd be in the game more as a one-back, I don't know if that's fair or not, we'll have to see how it all unfolds, but he does both and he does them pretty well."Â￾

Hillis isn't the type of player to demand he plays tailback more than fullback, even if he probably earned the right to play tailback full-time with an impressive stint at the position last season. He said he would play whatever position the Broncos want.

"I don't care,"Â￾ Hillis said. "I just know I can play."Â￾
Edited by: backrow

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Peyton is likely in the best NFL city as far as maybe McDaniels eventually being forced to recognize his tremendous talent and play him as a running back. Whites at running back and wide receiver aren't aliencreatures to beautomatically mockedbyfootball fans in Colorado thanks to the white friendly program at Colorado State and to some extent Colorado (world-class athlete Jeremy Bloom and other receivers and lots of white TEs). Hillis is already a folk hero among many Broncos fans thanks to what he did last year, so he is going to be much more difficult to screw over than the many other capable white running backs who have gotten the shaft from the NFL over the past 30 years.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
That's a great point Don and I think we have to stay optimistic and hope for the best. If Hillis gets in the ball park of 200 carries (or around 50% or so of the carries) I'll be thrilled. I think he's EXTREMELY UNLIKELY to get more than 250 carries unless Moreno gets hurt (the Broncos are definitely going to throw Moreno into the mix after signing him to a big contract). However, 1,000+ yards on 200+ carries is not completely out of the question for Hillis.

In fact, in Denver's system- if Hillis continues his brilliant production and Moreno adapts well to the NFL- we could see another Brandon Jacobs/ Derrick Ward type dual threat backfield. We might see two 1,000 yard rushers and the media proclaiming that "this is the best backfield in the NFL."

If this happens, this isn't disenchanting at all. Most teams use two RBs now anyway and Hillis and Moreno can complement each other well- as they each bring something a little different to the table. This will also decrease the wear and tear on their bodies over a long season (and career) of reps in a league where RB is the most risky position for injuries.

This is what Denver fans will be doing while watching in awe of the best backfield combo in the NFL w/ 2 RBs getting 1,000 yards on 5+ YPC.

|-----
smiley106.gif
smiley112.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley16.gif
---------|
|-----
smiley106.gif
smiley121.gif
----------------------------------|
|-----
smiley106.gif
smiley45.gif
>Hillis and Moreno!
smiley121.gif
--|

======================================================
smiley99.gif
>How bout a 3some baby?
smiley107.gif
>Not in ur wildest dreams buttbrain!
smiley122.gif
>Take that Lovie and Cutler!
smiley47.gif
smiley113.gif
Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Another update:

<H1>Hillis' role still undefined</H1>
<H2>McDaniels trying to determine how best to use multi-talented back</H2>
One of the few Mike Shanahan-era leftovers, Peyton Hillis, is forced to impress all over again.
But that is not a problem for the Denver Broncos do-it-all hybrid talent â€" who also has a throwback, old-school flare about him.
The Broncos fullback/running back/tight-end, who also led the team in rushing yards last season, has some believing he is maybe the best overall running back talent on the team â€" that is until Knowshon Moreno is no longer a no-show.
Still, Hillis told the Denver Daily News that he has been working hard all offseason, and no one has been more impressive through a few days of training camp. But under new head coach Josh McDaniel's regime, both Hillis and McDaniels may be unaware of what exactly Hillis' role on the team may be.
"He will play as much as he deserves to play,"Â said McDaniels at Dove Valley. "He can play as a fullback in a two-back offense. Obviously, he can catch the ball very well out of the backfield. He is getting plenty of opportunity right now to run in our one-back sets, which he will continue to get that opportunity."Â
But even though Hillis enjoyed being Denver's fulltime running back for part of last season, he knows with the drafting of Moreno, his role will not be running the ball.
"Everybody likes to carry the ball. The center likes carrying the ball,"Â said Hillis. "It's just how it is. But this game is not just about carrying the ball. The longer I want to stay here, the more versatile I have to be."Â
And under McDaniels' new, much more physical camp practices, he is getting to show just how versatile he can be.
During a tackling drill, Hillis literally plowed through outside linebacker/defensive lineman Tim Crowder one-on-one, planting the much larger Crowder onto the ground â€" where he stayed for a minute to catch his breath. Then with his Southern charm on full display and that country twang in his voice, he quickly apologized to the beaten Crowder.
"He has done some really positive things, but like everybody, there are definitely some things that he needs to fix and improve upon,"Â said McDaniels. "Peyton is a very valuable player I think."Â
Indeed, last season Hillis did whatever was asked of him, and much more. He caught balls brilliantly, blocked rushers with brute force, and ran the ball so well that Broncos fans wanted him as their permanent running back.
"He is versatile and creates some match-up problems for defenses if we can use him right,"Â added McDaniels.
"If"Â being the key word. Hillis is way too good to not be on the field, and McDaniels is quickly recognizing that.
http://www.thedenverdailynews.com/article.php?aID=5181

foobar75

Master
I don't get it, it's almost as though McDaniels is gritting his teeth while admitting how good Hillis is. As if, the genie is out of the bottle, and now, what can he do to put him back? Why not just complement the guy without being so reluctant about it?

Is he the same way with the black players on the team?

celticdb15

Hall of Famer

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
My favorite part is when he admits he was screwed in college by Houston Nutt. Nice find celtic!

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Lol i like when Peyton says that Tim Crowder should know better than to think Peytonwould put a move on him. Peyton can run over you, around you, not to mention hurdling is never out of picture!

Quiet Speed

Mentor
I agree Colonel Reb. It is particularly nice that Hillis is making public his feelings about his treatment by Nutt.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
this is my favorite part of the article:
In a one-on-one tackling drill, Hillis levelled Crowder, who stayed down for 90 seconds while waiting for the feeling to return to his arm and the cobwebs to clear his head ...

A day later, Crowder was still somewhat stunned by the blow.

"My point of view was that it was a drill set up for failure for the defensive players," Crowder said Sunday. "They tell (the ball carrier) to make one move, and he didn't make one move. So, I had to throttle down. He got me, he ran me over."
smiley56.gif

youpoor, poor negro ... aww, is baby okay?... that big, evil, White man trucked your sorry ass ... you poor thing ... do you need to cry on momma's shoulder?
smiley19.gif

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA!!!!he didn't "make a move" and so that made him harder to tackle? HAHAHAHAHA!!!!! he just smoked your black ass like a beeyatch. deal with it you whiny p.o.s.

Dear Lord,

may Hillis destroy all who appear in front of him. Amen.

one more thing, and this is directed at Tough. why do you give so much credit to Moreno? he isn't near the player Hillis is. Moreno is smaller (5-10, 215 compared to Hillis' 6-1, and he played at 250 as a rookie) AND slower: Moreno ran a 4.61 at the Combine whereas Hillis, carrying over 30 more pounds ran a 4.59. furthermore, Moreno can't catch.

if anything, Moreno should be Hillis' back-up, as he is a smaller, weaker, slower, less talented version of Hillis. other than the skin color advantage, nothing indicates that Moreno should be doing more than carrying Hillis' bags on away trips.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Awwwww, is Crowder sad about having an evil white man trucking his ass?
smiley36.gif

Also, I noticed McDaniels seems to cringe everytime he gives Hillis a compliment. He is far and away their best back, yet McDaniels seems to try and find one excuse to not using Hillis. With guys like Buckhalter and Jordan, Hillis is far and away their best back. The only competition he even has is Moreno.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Hillis should be the starter without a doubt. Moreno wasn't even the best back in Jersey his final season. Ray Van Peenan was only he had to be a walkon while Moreno made it to the NFL. Moreno will be worshiped by the media.