No love for Valuev!

ironfist

Guru
Valuev stinks. Shady ass ****** Don King will never let his big fraud go near Wlad. To think this big stiff may break Rocky's record makes me sick.

white is right

Hall of Famer
I don't think calling him a fraud is fair. There have been other giant heavies in the past who couldn't even reach the level he has. Mike White and Too Tall come to mind. Just 6 months back Peter ko'd Julius Long who is built like a pencil. Valuev has beaten enough fringe contender types to say that he is a legit contender(for the Ring belt). Do I think he is the best in the division? No I think they are 3 to 4 heavies that would be betting favourites against him. But that doesn't mean he hasn't earned a measure of respect.

Hockaday

Guru
Whoa now, Ironfist. Easy. Valuev is no threat to the Rock's legacy. True fans who study boxing history and know who's who in the tradition of the sport will discern the difference in value between a Marciano 49-0 and a Valuev 49-0.

Still, I have to wonder how a head to head matchup between 7'2" 320 pound Valuev and 5'10" 185 pound Marciano would go.Edited by: Hockaday

devans

Mentor
Wow! Is that how big Marciano really was?
That's too small to be an starting receiver in todays NFL.

Hockaday

Guru
devans said:
Wow! Is that how big Marciano really was?
That's too small to be an starting receiver in todays NFL.

Yeah, that's why I don't think head to head comparisons of heavyweights can be made. I divide the heavies in this century to pre 1960, average 6ft 190-200 pounds; post 1960, average 6' 2" 210-222 lbs; 1990-present, starting with Lennox Lewis, another jump to 6'4"-6", 230-240 lbs and beyond. (Valuev falls into the beyond category)

That's why the heavies in particular should be evaluated within their historical contexts. Rocky was a bit undersized even for his era, which is probably a good thing. If he had been oversized, with his attitude and punch, he might have killed a couple guys before he even fought for the title.