No love for Valuev!

hedgehog

Mentor
round two, Barret is throwing haymakers and has connected a couple of times, Valuev did not throw many punches in the second round. The crowd is chanting U-S-A (for Barrett)

hedgehog

Mentor
Not much happening in the first half of the third round, alot of holding, Barrett lands a left hook, Valuev not being very aggressive.

hedgehog

Mentor
both fighters have landed about 40 punches apiece. the announcers have it 2-1 Valuev after three. Barrett is tagging Valuev with some good jabs. Valuev lands a solid right. Barrett lands a good right before the end of round 4.

hedgehog

Mentor
announcers giving round four to Barrett. However Barrett seems to have slowed down in round 5. Valuev landed a couple of good rights this round.

hedgehog

Mentor
Barrett hits the canvas, but makes it back up. (round 8)
looks awfully wobly. Barrett goes back to throwing heymakers, connects on one, but doesnt seem to affect Valuev.

hedgehog

Mentor
Valuev wins by TKO.!!! after hitting the canvas twice in the 11th round, Barretts corner steps in and stops the fight. Edited by: KJV1

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Alright! Thanks for the round by round coverage KJV1! I wasnt able to get the feed going in time, so you were my source of info.

Bart

Hall of Famer
KJV1 said:
Valuev wins by TKO.!!! after hitting the canvas twice in the 11th round, Barretts corner steps in and stops the fight.

Nice jobe KJV1! What was the reaction of the crowd to the TKO? Were they upset that another -pure - American lost to a Russian?

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
The ref was atrocious. He warned both men for various things at almost every break and never took a point. So why bring it up? He warned Valuev for leaning and measuring Barrett; he warned Barrett for leading with the top of his head, why didn't he warn him for holding? He looked like the reincarnation of Huggy Bear John Ruiz. Barrett went down two other times after being punched in the face but the ref waved it off. Its a shame when your own corner has to step in to stop the fight because of ref incompetence!

But the Adamek - Briggs fight was awesome! Those guys are true warriors. I have no problem with the decision, although the judge who scored the fight 115-111 was a bit off, in my opinion, especially considering the point deducted from Adamek for low blows. But awesome fight, regardless. Both those guys deserve props.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Colonel_Reb said:
Thanks for the info Kaiser! I am working on it right now.

Me too, just got it going, thanks for the updates KVJ1.

You have to wonder, why to the black guys even bother? Just admit they cannot beat the white men and move on.

hedgehog

Mentor
Valuev does the same thing repeatedly, left jab followed by a right hook. He also seems to take punches he does not need to take. I think the other Russian heavyweights would beat him.

hedgehog

Mentor
Bart said:
KJV1 said:
Valuev wins by TKO.!!! after hitting the canvas twice in the 11th round, Barretts corner steps in and stops the fight.

Nice jobe KJV1!  What was the reaction of the crowd to the TKO?  Were they upset that another -pure - American lost to a Russian?

The crowd was pretty quiet after the fight, but they were rooting for Barrett throughout. The one announcer had to make sure to tell us how depressed he was with the current heavyweight division.

white is right

Hall of Famer
I thought the referee looked like he was in over his head. He literally let Valuev tong on Barrett throughout the 11th when it was obvious he was out on his feet. Valuev looked about the same as he looked against Ruiz, but Barrett isn't nearly as durable as Ruiz is. We will see what King thinks of Valuev when his next match is scheduled. If it's more Barrett types then King doesn't think much.....
smiley5.gif

hedgehog

Mentor
I dont know if this has been brought up in the boxing forum, but tonight they said Tommy Morrison will be making a comeback, and that he looks "really good".

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I brought it up a few weeks ago actually. He says the HIV report from a few years back was wrong and that he is as healthy as can be. We'll see what happens.

G

Bart said:
KJV1 said:

Nice jobe KJV1!  What was the reaction of the crowd to the TKO?  Were they upset that another -pure - American lost to a Russian?

The crowd I my view was mildly partisan for Barrett. There were chants of USA every so often but I think most people who were in attendance were curious about Valuev, but not neccesarily rooting for him.

Not Valuev's best performance, despite the knockout. He looked more mechanical and with less of an arsenal than he did against guys like Owen Beck. Still, he had his jab working by the mid rounds and delivered the damage. He really has great stamina and can take a punch like no one. I think Barrett hit him with a 4 punch combo once and it might has well have been a butterfly kissing big V on the nose.

Hockaday

Guru
The ref with his bald head looked like a UFC reject. At one point he told Valuev to bring his jab back. Ali and Holmes used hold their jabs out. I don't think it's illegal.

Valuev? Not bad, not bad. At 7 feet plus, he does lumber, but his hands are sneaky quick, like an NFL possession receiver. He kept the pressure on, and showed amazing stamina for a guy lugging around that much mass. He takes a good punch, with his head sloped like the front armor on a T-34 tank.

The announcers? Merchant did his usual grousing about the HW division. Lampley seemed unimpressed but amused. Stewart the trainer was licking his chops about Valuev's flaws one minute, while Stewart the father figure was fretting over the effect of his punches on Barret's health the next.

Valuev isn't the prettiest thing out there, but he proved he ain't no bum.

moose

Guru
I have seen valuev fight about 10 times, and this was not his best performance. He has the best endurance for a 330lbs fighter I have ever seen. He has a very good chin. He can punch fast when he wants to, that right hand he hit barrett with in the eleventh round was awesomem, good win for nico, and he won almost every round against his best opponent.

white is right

Hall of Famer
If anybody wants to see Valuev vs Beck Donking.com has that playing with the first Adamek vs Briggs fight. Valuev vs Beck looks like a sparring session but the ko is fun to watch...
smiley32.gif

moose

Guru
valuev was impressive in the beck fight, one of his best performances

JD074

Master
Supposedly he's been improving his skills, working on his combinations, but there was no evidence of that in this fight. He's gotta mix it up. It was the same thing over and over and over again. Hopefully you guys are right and he can do a lot better than this. He'll have to. I was also surprised that Barrett buckled his knees in the first round.

White Shogun said:
The ref was atrocious. He warned both men for various things at almost every break and never took a point. So why bring it up? He warned Valuev for leaning and measuring Barrett; he warned Barrett for leading with the top of his head, why didn't he warn him for holding? He looked like the reincarnation of Huggy Bear John Ruiz.

What really annoyed me was how Barrett would hold him, Valuev would push him away (as he should,) and then the ref would scold Valuev for pushing! Um, hello? He's pushing because he's being held!

Barrett went down two other times after being punched in the face but the ref waved it off.

Two times, on top of the other three knockdowns? Five knockdowns... hmm, maybe it wasn't so bad then!
smiley4.gif

But the Adamek - Briggs fight was awesome!

Amen to that!

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
JD, Barrett's glove touched canvas in the first round, after taking a punch from Valuev that knocked him backwards. That's technically a knockdown. And I'm not including that one in the two other knockdowns that I mentioned earlier. One in particular happened when Valuev punched Barrett square in the face, but instead of falling backward, Barrett's knees buckled and he fell forward, on his face. The ref ruled it a slip, like the other two.

But even still, Valuev leaves a lot to be desired. I was surprised when Barrett appeared to rock him in the first, too. Valuev may well get knocked out if he fights a harder puncher, like Sam Peter, Maskaev, or Wlad for sure. He's easy to hit.

Like everybody else, I thought he'd be a harder puncher than he is, just because of sheer size. But there is a mental aspect to Valuev's fighting style. If you missed the pre-fight show, they interviewed him in Berlin, where he trains. Valuev complains that people view hims as a giant freak, instead of just a normal person. He just wants to be normal (his words.)

If you'll permit me to play armchair psychologist, I think that this mentality incapacitates him in the ring, so that instead of bludgeoning his opponents with power and size, he wants to be considered a 'normal' boxer, with good movement, hand speed, etc. His desire to be thought of as a 'normal' guy saps his killer instinct and retards any real progress he could make if he went after people with his size and strength. Think what kind of monster they would turn him into if they'd work on his strength and power, instead of finesse. But given the way Valuev feels about his size, I'm not sure that will ever happen.

jcolec02

Mentor
I completely agree with you shogun...if he had a killer instinct he would probably be unbeatable.

JD074

Master
White Shogun said:
JD, Barrett's glove touched canvas in the first round, after taking a punch from Valuev that knocked him backwards. That's technically a knockdown. And I'm not including that one in the two other knockdowns that I mentioned earlier.

You're absolutely right. I saw the later rounds again, and there were definitely at least two more knockdowns. I didn't see his glove touch the ground in the first round (I didn't watch that part again, maybe I missed it,) but if it did, that's six knockdowns.

One in particular happened when Valuev punched Barrett square in the face, but instead of falling backward, Barrett's knees buckled and he fell forward, on his face. The ref ruled it a slip, like the other two.

Yep, his head even whipped back violently.

But even still, Valuev leaves a lot to be desired. I was surprised when Barrett appeared to rock him in the first, too. Valuev may well get knocked out if he fights a harder puncher, like Sam Peter, Maskaev, or Wlad for sure. He's easy to hit.

My sentiments exactly.

Think what kind of monster they would turn him into if they'd work on his strength and power, instead of finesse. But given the way Valuev feels about his size, I'm not sure that will ever happen.

Maybe that's why he doesn't permit anybody to watch him train. Perhaps he doesn't want to be criticized for not working on certain things. Who knows. If he hooked up with some professional Strength and Conditioning coaches from the US (or wherever) perhaps he could be stronger and more explosive. Oh well.Edited by: JD074