Mike Mcmahon

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Kaptain Poop said:
The problem many teams in the NFL have pigeon holed themselves into is: How to get rid of their much heralded, well-paid black QB whose pathetic performances week after week and year after year have made it clear that their time should be up as a starting QB. Culpepper, Mcnabb, Vick, McNair, and any others I may left out all have left their fans hoping and praying for an injury so their back-up can finally take over and supply some offense. In the meantime fans quietly whisper about their QB's ineptitute while the media continues to shower the "great black icon" with compliments. Their coaches know they should be benched -they have to know! It's become so obvious even the most casual fans know it. But how do they bench a black icon? What will be the backlash? In the end they can NEVER bench the black icon QB - they won't. They just don't have the guts. They can wait just like the average fan and pray for an injury, but in the end the great black QB will be back next year no matter what to reclaim his job as the waiting and praying process start all over again.

Remember the Anthony Wright controversy last year when Parcells dumped him after a drug test failure. The race card came out right away, didn't help him in Dallas but he's still pulling down an undeserved paycheck in Baltimore.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Remember the Anthony Wright controversy last year when Parcells dumped him after a drug test failure.

That was Quincy Carter, although Anthony Wright was a Dallas Cowboy for a short time as well.

I think Jerry Jones was going through the 'mobile black quarterback' phase when he had these two guys on his roster. This was around the same time that McNabb, Vick, and Culpepper were garnering media attention as the 'new prototype' of the athletic, mobile (black) quarterback. Of course, he has gone completely in the opposite direction now, having on the roster who is probably considered the most immobile quarterback in the league, Drew Bledsoe. Coincidentally enough, the Cowboys are now tied for first in the NFC East and, barring a complete meltdown, look like a lock for the playoffs.

One thing about Jones, if the Cowboys aren't winning, he will do something about it. He didn't put up a fight when Bill Parcells cut Carter after he failed his third or fourth drug test, and didn't complain when Bill went after Drew Bledsoe, either.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Carter, Wright, does it really make a difference?
smiley9.gif

backrow

Hall of Famer
McMahon is helluva runner for a quarterback, fast and decisive but to be honest he does lack the quarterback know-how, awereness and all that... but all the luck to him, i really want him to do greatfor the Eagles

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Golic and Schlereth just savaged McMahon on ESPN's NFL Live. Golic said that McNabb playing with a crutch in one hand would be more effective than McMahon and Detmer. Schlereth called McMahon a great athlete whowould make a "good NFL tight end."

McMahon has never had a chance to prove himself. Seven starts in five NFL seasons, give me a break. If the all-black Eagles play hard for him he'll do very well.

The media just can't let up on the black quarterback myth. After focusing on McNabb, NFL Live went to break, promising stories on the Cincy-Indy matchup. . . and Michael Vick's prospects against Tampa. It was time to turn the TV off.

backrow

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
let up on the black quarterback myth. After focusing on McNabb, NFL Live went to break, promising stories on the Cincy-Indy matchup. . . and Michael Vick's prospects against Tampa. It was time to turn the TV off.

Vick's only prospect for Bucs game is a lot of pain and humiliation... he never had a huge game vs Bucs and this time hopefully won't be any different ... time for him to go down
smiley2.gif

I know I'm a pessimist, but does anybody here see a different scenario emerging?

McMahon is in a no win situation, that is for sure, but it is because I think there is 0% chance of the Eagles even contending for a Wild Card Spot.

That team has just been through too much controversy lately and I think this loss to the Cowboys is going to be the knock-out blow to them for this year.

I highly doubt that McMahons team-mates are going to come out full force and they have probably thrown in the towel. Their recievers suck (have they ever NOT sucked in the like the last 3-4 years?) so basicly I just hope that McMahon just doesn't have alot of turnovers and doesn't get hammered in the media like Tommy Maddox just did. I think the Eagles Fan Base probably realize they are done for this year (in fact if they don't make some more Free Agent Moves and get some better WRs and RBs they may be in the dumpster for 2-3 years, the lose of Duce Staley really was big) so I doubt the fans will savage McMahon, unless he has alot of turnovers or makes some major mistakes.

Don Wassall writes: "If</span> the all-black Eagles play hard for him he'll do very well." (emphasis supplied).

"IF" is the biggest two-letter word in the English language.

Everybody knows that the bruthas never give the palefaces a 100%
effort. Most basketball coaches know that putting a White player
on the floor sometimes turns the game into a de facto </span>4-on-5
contest because the blacks will freeze the White guy out of the
offense. Football is no different. Don't expect the
receivers to lay-out for any errant passes, and don't expect a stellar
pass-blocking effort from the black linemen and RBs.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
McMahon was one of my favorite players, it is unbelievable he is getting this chance. I sure hope he plays well. I don't think anyone will quit on him yet, it's too early. It they lose a couple then yea, but not now.

Spooge

Guru
jaxvid said:
McMahon was one of my favorite players, it is
unbelievable he is getting this chance. I sure hope he plays well. I
don't think anyone will quit on him yet, it's too early. It they lose a
couple then yea, but not now.

It makes me sick to see quality white quarterbacks have to sit out
1-3-5 years before they get a chance at starting. Meanwhile the
bruthas get to start and screw up for a number of years (Daunte,
McDrab, Cordell, etc) and only after injury or six seasons of " Slash"
like bul sh*te do they get replaced.

JD074

Master
Don Wassall said:
Golic and Schlereth just savaged McMahon on ESPN's NFL Live.  Golic said that McNabb playing with a crutch in one hand would be more effective than McMahon and Detmer.  Schlereth called McMahon a great athlete who would make a "good NFL tight end."

I saw him for the first time today, I believe it was the same show you were watching. Man, he looked like a tight end! He was ripped.

bigman

Guru
Gosh, he didnt get much help from his recieving corp... they did him no (not one) favors... but goodness when he started playing catch with linebackers you knew he deserved some of the blame.... a good athlete is one thing.. a good QB is another. You can have great wheels and a great arm but the QB position is about knowing where to throw and when... and that is a very tall order in the NFL.

Bart

Hall of Famer
bigman said:
Gosh, he didnt get much help from his recieving corp... they did him no (not one) favors... .

The Eagles phoned it in last night.Greg Lewis didn't look like he was too interested in running routes or going after McMahons passes. One or both of those INT's could have been avoided with a little hustle and determination. McMahon showed he's got an arm and made some nice throws. He only needs playing time to work on timing.

voice

Guru
Bart

I agree with you 100%. I saw the first int and the pass was perfect. The receiver didn't keep running through the ball where McMahon was throwing it!!!

I understand the QB position as I played it all the way through. It is about angles not pure speed. Receivers can create separation by crisply running patterns. The Brothers rarely understand this

I would take Schroder, Shockley, Curtis, Jurevicius and Bennett and have the most efficient and productive receiver core in the league and Mike McMahon would have a QB rating over 100! Guaranteed!

One problem in the NFL is all the receiver coaches have an IQ of 85 and are of course, Brothers...............

backrow

Hall of Famer
guys, i am not a fan of Philly, not their receivers but some of the blame HAS to go to McMahon... he forced the ball couple of times when there was no need... Seattle did play good D as well but still, Mike shoulda been more patient imo...