Mike Mcmahon

cxt7

Guru
I was looking for Mcmahon News on the internet but found nothing, does anyone have any info on him? I was really hoping that he gets a shot to start next season.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Who is Mike McMahon?

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
McMahon is Joey Harrington's backup in Detroit. He's another Eric Crouch/Matt Jones type talent, a white quarterback withexceptional speed and running ability. He's a free agent and I haven't heard of anyone pursuing him as of yet. Big surprise there.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Backup QB for the Detroit Lions.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Here's an article on the Lions that claims Steve Mariucci likes McMahon as much as any free agent QB out there. That's hard to believe given that Mariucci had many opportunities to give McMahon playing time in '04 as Joey Harrington continued to struggle. He deserves the chance to be a starter for some team, but it's unlikely he'll get the chance. If only he ran a little slower. . .
smiley5.gif

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2005/teams/lions.html

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Man, thanks for the info guys, sounds like another victim of the Caste System. What irony there is in your last statement Donwas. Sadly, it's the truth.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Mike McMahon is my favorite Lion. I have made a hobby of calling into the local sports talk radio shows in Detroit and asking why a guy who has Vick like speed and a cannon arm rides the bench while Joey Harrington gets to lose game after game after game. Needless to say they don't appreciate it. One host cut me off and said yes Mike has "sideline to sideline speed" but that is all. He hung up on me so I did not get to ask what "sideline to sideline speed" meant. I think he meant yes he's fast but he is not allowed to run forward with the ball because he is white.

Anyway McMahon's career is over. The Lions will not re-sign him when he becomes a free agent and there is no other team in the league that will play a white athletic quarterback. He might get a back-up spot somewhere but I don't think he has played enough to merit that. Another caste system victim. We should put up crosses for each of the "victims".

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
jaxvid, if we did put up crosses, there would probably be enough to make a National Cemetery. At least it would get some attention focused on the situation.

kevin

Guru
Harrington is going to have a good season next year. his biggest problem is the fact that he has injury proned wide outs and no line. He is starting to show sighs of being a good quarterback.

cxt7

Guru
He has signed with the eagles the article I read says he will have a chance to be the number 2 guy. http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/8279186Edited by: cxt7

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
McMahon is now destined to be a permanent NFL backup unless McNabb is injured because he won't be benched for poor play unless it continues for years and years ala Kordell Stewart.

But if McNabb is injured, McMahon would step in and be a better "black style" quarterback than one of the few alleged masters of the genre.

Then again, McNabb was injured a couple seasons ago and both journeyman Koy Detmer and then-rookie A.J. Feeley stepped in and the Eagles offense was instantly better under both unheralded QBs than under McNabb, so it probably won't register anyway if McMahon steps in and excels.

G

Not happy to see big mac in PHI...i had this perfect scenario in my head where he goes to STL or TEN or DEN and finally breaks through, becoming a media sensation...what was i smoking? i'm sure he'll step into the number two spot under REID, and when MCNABB very possibly sits out long stretches with injuries incurred on ill-advised scrambles, MCMAHON will be derided in the grumpy, afrophilic philadelphia media for every minor mistake he makes.

On the plus side, MCMAHON's big-ass biceps are going to look even bigger in those dark-green PHI jerseys (a-la LYNCH when he moved over to the dark DEN colors)...maybe they'll force him to wear dark-colored long-sleeves so as not to confuse anyone.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I started looking for pics of McMahon after reading Jervey's comments
about his 'biceps', and I came across this old article in the Detroit
news, from 2003.

Seems old McMahon is quite the athlete.

I wonder if most of the black athletes on the team even bother to give 100% in such drills.

www.detnews.com/2003/lions/0304/02/c01-126234.htm

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
McMahon to the Eagles! I guess there wasn't a team in Siberia. Maybe McNabb will puke himself out of a starting position.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
This most likely spells the end of his career.He will
sit on the bench until he has splinters in his butt.I
really would have rather seen him hold out for a team
that could have used him or where he could at least
compete for the starting job.That will never happen in
Philly with McNabb there.Oh well,at least he's in the nfl.

rob327

I was a huge Eagles fan growing up but now that Reid and McNabb are they I stopped liking them.

bigunreal

Mentor
Come on, guys. It's not like McMahon is a great talent like Sean King,
Tony Banks or Rohan Davey. We all know that Davey has flashed great
potential in his... let's see, when has he ever played? Oh, well, he's
a great athlete and it's no wonder some NFL teams would like him to
compete for a starting job. Sarcasm off. King was one of the worst, if
not the worst, starting NFL QBs, but was given way too much time to
reveal this so clearly that even the jock-sniffing media couldn't
defend him any longer. Banks was a fumbling machine with the Rams, but
was still given additional chances to start (and be terrible) in
Washington and Baltimore. This all goes back to the legendary Doug
Williams, who once started an entire season with Tampa Bay and
completed 37% of his passes. Yeah, you read that right- 37%! He was not
cut for this unprecedented, pitiful performance. He was not benched. No
one was brought in to challenge him for the starting job. He wasn't
even criticized. I remember the idiots in the press (who weren't nearly
as bad then as now- who knows what kind of ridiculous spin they'd put
on it now) claiming that Williams had numerous dropped passes that
season. Yeah, you'd have to have quite a few dropped passes to have a
completion percentage like that. You actually hear some people tout
Williams for the Hall of Fame, based primarily on his one quarter of
"excellence" in that fixed Redskins' Super Bowl win over the Broncos.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like McMahon will be starting against the Giants Sunday. Don't be surprised if he moves the Eagles offense better than McNabb was. Remember when McNabb was injured a couple of years ago and journeyman Koy Detmer and the inexperienced A. J. Feeley both stepped in and Philly's passing offense came to life.

During the Monday night game, John Madden referred to McMahon as the "emergency" quarterback. What a joke. He deserves to be starting for an NFL team. Let's hope he makes the most of this chance even though the Eagles have terrible receivers.

Bart

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
Looks like McMahon will be starting against the Giants Sunday. Don't be surprised if he moves the Eagles offense better than McNabb was. Remember when McNabb was injured a couple of years ago and journeyman Koy Detmer and the inexperienced A. J. Feeley both stepped in and Philly's passing offense came to life.

Ihope Mike does well, but I doubt if the Eagles will be emotionally ready to play. Theyhad their way withDallas for 57 minutes and managed to lose a game they had in the bag. A short practice week coupled with playing the Giants on their home field does not bode well.The Giants also come off a game they should have won but made about a hundred mistakes allowing the Vikes to win. Somehow, I think the the Eagles will be flat and the Giants will be fired up and loaded for bear. I wouldn't bet money on it though. If I was good at predicting outcomes, I'd be watching the sun set on a beach in Hawaii.

G

I like McMahon and hope he does well, however, should the team move
foward without McDrab and actually make the playoffs, Dumavan will step
in and get all the credit. By the way, I almot tossed up my
Guiness when McDrab made that five yard jog and Mandingo sex dance in
the end zone. What a joke. McDrab and Super Vick are
Masters of the five yard run. My wife could have made that run
againts Dallas and shes a plus size gal!

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
My wife could have made that run againts Dallas and shes a plus size gal!

And I'm sure she appreciates you sharing that with us. I hope she's not looking over your shoulder!
smiley36.gif
smiley2.gif

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
McNabb, McMahon, well at least they're sticking with Irishmen.
smiley36.gif

The thought has occured to me now, that McMahon may be in a no-win situation.

McNabb has gotten a pass for YEARS because the Eagles didn't have any good receivers. McMahon doesn't have a great reputation from his days in Detroit, but we all know that they haven't had any decent receivers there, either.

The Eagles have to win several games with McMahon at the helm for him not to take a beating. If they lose, it will be because they're without McNabb, not because they STILL do not have any WR. It will be McMahon's fault.

McMahon is a scrambling quarterback, a great runner. Let's see if he gets the same kind of acclaim and accolades as Vick, if he makes a few plays with his feet and runs it in from the 1 yd line a couple times.

Vick's fumbles are rarely mentioned in articles or on the air, but I guarantee you if McMahon fumbles during a game , we're all going to know about it, and Koy Detmer will be starting the following week.

And finally, unless McNabb goes under the knife very soon, if McMahon wins any games and gets the Eagles back in the playoff hunt, McNabb's injury will have "healed" and he will come back to lead the Eagles in to the playoffs. McNabb will be acclaimed a true hero for gutting it out, coming back to play with injuries to take his team into the playoffs. His fame will only grow larger.

I know I'm a pessimist, but does anybody here see a different scenario emerging?

Edited by: White Shogun

Kaptain

Master
The problem many teams in the NFL have pigeon holed themselves into is: How to get rid of their much heralded, well-paid black QB whose pathetic performances week after week and year after year have made it clear that their time should be up as a starting QB. Culpepper, Mcnabb, Vick, McNair, and any others I may left out all have left their fans hoping and praying for an injury so their back-up can finally take over and supply some offense. In the meantime fans quietly whisper about their QB's ineptitute while the media continues to shower the "great black icon" with compliments. Their coaches know they should be benched -they have to know! It's become so obvious even the most casual fans know it. But how do they bench a black icon? What will be the backlash? In the end they can NEVER bench the black icon QB - they won't. They just don't have the guts. They can wait just like the average fan and pray for an injury, but in the end the great black QB will be back next year no matter what to reclaim his job as the waiting and praying process start all over again.
Can any of you imagine one of the aforementioned black icon QB's being benched? Throw Leftwich and Brooks in their too. I can only think of 3 or 4 white QB's of the many good white QB's that can have a terrible year and not have to worry about their jobs. Manning, Favre, Brady, .....?

Bart

Hall of Famer
White Shogun said:
I know I'm a pessimist, but does anybody here see a different scenario emerging?

Your assessment is pretty much on the money. If McMahon should happen to play well and keep the Eagles in playoff contention or bring them to the door, he would probably be forced to relinquish his position to a healthy McNabb. The press would demand it, saying he is the team leader and deserves another chance to win a Super Bowl, which has been denied him...bla...bla...bla.

Mike really hasn't played that much during his tenure in the league. He was with a horrible Detroit team and has only thrown about 50 passes the last three years. Too bad he's never been given the time to develop somewhere.

In a way, he reminds me of Steve Young, who was of course a very fine athlete. He struggled at Tampa Bay, one of the worst teams in history. He sat behind Montana at Frisco until finally getting a real shot. If Joe M had been able to play longer, it's possible Young may never have had an opportunity to start anywhere and may have been a back up his entire career.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Maybe McMahon will win some games for them with his arm and legs, but their overall lack of a running game will keep them from winning enough games to get in the playoffs, then McNabb won't see the field again this year. That's a scenario that "could" happen, if the media wasn't against whites that is.