Chris Long

G

SI Article

"And it gives him a chance to disprove what he thinks some draftniks and NFL scouts are saying about him. "That I don't have top-end speed, and I can't play more than one position well, and I'm a high-motor, overachieving guy, but I'm not an athlete,'' he said. "When I lie in bed at night, those are the kinds of things I hear. I hear the negative things. People try to pigeon-hole me as a player, and that kind of drives me.''"

backrow

Hall of Famer
smiley32.gif

White Power

Mentor
Chris Long will be a Miami Dolphin if Bill Parcells really wants the best most complete NFL player in the draft. I say welcome to Miami Chris you are going to be a major star.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
Wow, Chris Long just said exactly what we've all been posting here for years!

I've never heard a white defensive player, let alone a top 3 pick, EVER say something so true. We can only pray that he somehow ends up falling to the Pats. Unlikely, yes, he'll most likely be selected by the Rams, IMO. Either way, this guy not only plays like a wildly gifted athlete on the field, he also demands to be referred to as such!
smiley17.gif
Perhaps the first time in NFL history a white man commanded respect!

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
You're thinking of Jake Long, OFFENSIVE lineman from Michigan. We're talking about Chris Long, DE from VA.

Stonewall

Guru
A major positive from the Combine was the fact that prominent members of the caste media verbally articulated in strong terms that Chris Long possesses the athletic skills to be a Top 5 pick.

Granted, "draft experts" like Mayock should have been saying this months ago. Nonetheless, I enjoyed hearing the black ex-players on the NFL Network saying that Chris Long is much more than a "high motor" guy.

I find it pathetic that caste media types continually bring up "draft busts" like Steve Emtmann and Mike Mamula, guys who were drafted more than 10 years ago.

We need Chris Long to be our Brian Urlacher, a white player who was drafted high, was very successful, and thus paved the way for other top tier white players to garner the opportunity to start in the league.

Think about how far down our All Pro white defensive ends went in the draft. Allen, Kampman, Schobel, et all were 2nd day picks. Even Patrick Kerney was one of the last picks in the first round when Atlanta drafted him.

A white defensive end going #1 overall would be huge. I believe that Chris Long will further establish himself on his Pro Day. I heard him being interviewed, and he already has a plan (coordinated with Al Groh) to turn even more heads when the scouts visit UVA.

G

I hope Chris goes number 5 or so, that way the expectations are more manageable.

A white defender going 1 is the perfect storm for casteholes. He would have to instantly become the best defensive tackle, otherwise he will take constant heavy criticism.

If he doesn't play a lot better than Courtney Brown for instance, he stands a chance of entering the realm of "all time greatest busts", a place reserved strictly for white players.

Stonewall

Guru
Nevada, I definitely disagree with you on this one.

The premise for your argument is based on the fact that a white player picked number one (in this case Chris Long) will not be successful. This is clearly not the proper mentality to possess. I (and I'm sure many other members of this forum) know for a fact that there are many white players who are superior to their black counterparts at both the college and pro levels. Look at this year's list of First Team All Americans as well as the NFL Pro Bowl roster if you need evidence.

"All time greatest busts" include a large number of black players who even the mainstream caste media mock, such as Ki-Jana Carter, Blair Thomas, etc. Even Mario Williams was heavily criticized his first year.

Call me optimistic, but I am very confident that Chris Long will excel in the NFL. Nevada, based on your last post, it's obvious that you didn't follow the Combine very closely. Chris Long is not an NFL defensive tackle, he'll be a defensive end who can also be utilized as a speed/rush linebacker.

We need to have confidence in the ability of our elite white NFL prospects, not defeatists who expect them to fail.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
Chris Long is athletically built like Patrick Kerney; they both have long and stream-lined physiques and incredible arm muscularity.

I wouldn't be surprised if, in 15 or 16 games, he racks up 85 tackles -- several for losses.

Go Chris!

Edited by: Deadlift

pt.guard2

Guru
Mike Wilbon of PTI said that Chris Long was the best defensive end he has seem come out of college since Reggie Williams.

G

i think vernon gholston and chris long are very close when it comes to D ends. their combine numbers were very close in the events they both participated in. Gholston ran his 40 in a 4.67, Long in a 4.75. in the broad jump gholston - 10.04 long 10.05, three cone drill gholston 7.12 long 7.02. their stats were also comparable, albeit they played in different defensive schemes. but gholston put these numbers up in his junior year, as opposed to long puting them up in his senior year. gholstons a little taller, longs a little bigger. that being said theres no way id draft chris long number 1. i mean he is a little slow to be a stand up outside linebacker/rush end a la shawn merrimen. if the dolphins use him solely as a down defensive end than is that worthy of a number one draft pick? injury issues aside i would say glen dorsey is a better prospect than chris long. honestly i just think chris long will a good solid player in the NFL, not a great multiple pro bowl type player. but thats just my opinion. if i were the dolphins id take dorsey or Jake long with the number 1 pick, but again, just my opinion.Edited by: bluengold51

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
Chris Long is "slow" because of his 40 time??

His 40 time is more than fine. But, I would like to see them do a strenuous endurance test.

Let's see who's more ATHLETIC and who lasts longer: media-hype Dorsey or NATURAL ATHLETE Chris Long.

How about it? How about investing in a player that isn't going to be exhausted after a few plays?

There's also a lot more WHITE O-Linemen in the NFL compared to the over-rated SEC. Many of these guys perform heavy powerlifting in order to be flat-out strong, to achieve total body strength. In other words, they take their jobs very seriously and they strive to be superior!

Also, as has been documented on this site, White athletes are just as good at 10 and 20 yard sprints in comparison to their black counterparts. That might be a more important measure for a DE.

Chris Long will easily have a better NFL career compared to Dorsey.

P.S. I will never tell my kids that Dorsey, Ted Washington and Sam Adams are the "athletes" -- while Patrick Kerney, Kelly Gregg, Kyle Vanden Bosch and Jared Allen are the "overachievers" --- It just isn't going to happen.

Edited by: Deadlift

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
"i mean he is a little slow to be a stand up outside linebacker/rush end a la shawn merrimen"

smiley36.gif
Bluengold51, don't make me laugh.

Did steroid-boy even show up last season? What about in the playoffs? Oh wait, black players who happen to have one good year in terms of sack totals (albeit, while on steroids) are given a free pass to the pro-bowl until they retire.

Comparing Merrimans so-called "speed" to Chris Long's simply doesnt make sense. First of all, Merriman is a midget compared to Long (and therefore should be a little faster). Second of all, Merriman plays the mystical "hybrid DE/LB" that only black players are allowed to play, while Long plays strictly DE. What a joke of an analysis. If you had a pure footrace between these two guys, I'm positive they'd be even. Chris Long is bigger, quicker, stronger, and yes, more "athletic" than your precious Merriman. You've proven yourself as the little caste-worm that you are.

whiteCB

Master
bluengold51 said:
i think vernon gholston and chris long are very close when it comes to D ends. their combine numbers were very close in the events they both participated in. Gholston ran his 40 in a 4.67, Long in a 4.75. in the broad jump gholston - 10.04 long 10.05, three cone drill gholston 7.12 long 7.02. their stats were also comparable, albeit they played in different defensive schemes. but gholston put these numbers up in his junior year, as opposed to long puting them up in his senior year. gholstons a little taller, longs a little bigger. that being said theres no way id draft chris long number 1. i mean he is a little slow to be a stand up outside linebacker/rush end a la shawn merrimen. if the dolphins use him solely as a down defensive end than is that worthy of a number one draft pick? injury issues aside i would say glen dorsey is a better prospect than chris long. honestly i just think chris long will a good solid player in the NFL, not a great multiple pro bowl type player. but thats just my opinion. if i were the dolphins id take dorsey or Jake long with the number 1 pick, but again, just my opinion.

Ghloston is a 4th year junior because he redshirted his first year at OSU meaning that he and Long are the same age! Also being a huge Ohio ST fan and having seen all their games this year I can tell you that Gholston is the real deal. He's only been playing organizaed football since his soph year in high school. However, Chris Long is just as good if not better. Long and Gholston both had 14 sacks this year. All of long's sacks came as a 3-4 DE which if you know football means that it's a scheme tailormade for OLBs to get the sacks and not DEs who are supposed to be hole cloggers. All of Gholston's sacks came as a traditional 4-3 DE. In which your situated on the outside of the OT meaning that you can just burn by the OL as opposed to a 3-4 DE where you have to fight many times at least 2 linemen and you are never isolated 1 on 1. Both players are very good but its HOW Long earned his sacks as opposed to how Gholston got his. I think in the NFl Gholston would be a better 3-4 OLB and Lond would be a better DE in any scheme.

G

i dont know where this thing came about that i like shawn merrimen. dude I just used him as an example of someone that was a hybrid de/lb. would it have made any difference if i used demarcus ware as an example? and im a denver fan, so dont talk to me as if i love merrimen, cuz i dont really care for ANYONE on the chargers, especially trash talking phillip rivers and annoying over-the-top merrimen. only guys i like on that team are castillo (cuz hes hispanic of course haha), and LT.

and to whitecb, if you read my post i stated that they played in different schemes. maybe i should have been a little more specific, but i was reffering to the fact that gholston played in a 4-3 where it is MUCH easier for d ends to collect sacks. i played football for 5 years, so yea, i understand football. and i didnt say gholston was better than long, i said they are very close, so you dont have to convince me that they are similar in skill level, because that was my opinion in the first place. i think long is a little better because he seems to be a more complete d end. but what i wanna know is why did chris longs workout recieve so much more attention when it was so similar to gholstons.

and i dont see how you can say dorsey is media hyped. the prospects that have recieved the most hype seem to be chris long and matt ryan(which i dont get, the guy threw EIGHTEEN PICKS). the only thing i hear about dorsey, and mcfadden as well (before his amazing combine workout) was how their draft stocks were dropping.

honestly i dont really even care who goes number 1st or 2nd or 17th, im just hoping dwight lowery gets drafted in the 2nd or 3rd round, and adam tafralis and matt castelo get drafted period. THIS IS SPARTA!!!

Gi-15

Mentor
bluengold51 said:
but what i wanna know is why did chris longs workout recieve so much more attention when it was so similar to gholstons.

Well, because it was expected of gholston to do monsters workouts. He's really a freak athlete, Long was considered more of an "overachiever" and all that crap, and more people than not thought that he didn't have the athletic ability to play OLB in a 3-4. Thats why his workout was more talked about, because it was more impressive and unexpected(well, not by us).

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
bluengold51 said:
and i dont see how you can say dorsey is media hyped.

Dorsey was THE most hyped defensive lineman in college football last year, and arguably the most hyped college player at any position. in fact, for much of the season the defensive tackle was even considered a frontrunner/favorite to win the Heisman Trophy.

if that isn't a hyped d-lineman, i don't know what is.
smiley5.gif