Alexander Povetkin

ww

Guru
Povetkin-Seldon Exhibition Bout is Being Investigated  

By Rick Reeno

Last month's exhibition fight, between unbeaten heavyweight Alexander Povetkin and former champion Bruce Seldon, is being investigated by the Pennsylvania State Athletic Commission. Executive Director Greg Sirb acknowledged to BoxingScene.com that Povetkin-Seldon is being investigated by his office.

BoxingScene reported a few days ago that Povetkin stopped Seldon in four rounds of action on July 29 in Philadelphia. The exhibition bout went unreported by most media outlets. To make matters worse, Sauerland Event [who promote Povetkin] were unaware the fight took place. Even the PA commission found out about Povetkin-Seldon a few days ago.

According to multiple reports in Russia, including a ringside report by one journalist who witnessed the actual fight, the bout playing out as a "normal contest." The two boxers, according to multiple descriptions - used normal gloves, had no head gear and a referee called the action. Seldon was dropped three times before the ref waved it off in the fourth.

There are several issues the PA commission is investigating, including whether or not the exhibition was properly staged, and exactly what took place in the fight. On a side note - a report by Fight Fax indicates that Seldon has been suspended since August 13, 2009 for an incident involving a drug test result in Illinois. The test is related to the nine round KO loss to Fres Oquendo from July 24, 2009.

"I can't say anything until I find out exactly what happened and exactly what took place. We're just trying to get the details and to find out what the particulars were. That's all that I can tell you," Sirb told BoxingScene.com.

Per Sirb, the investigation will be finished in "a few days."

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=30021

ww

Guru
Povetkin said he hurt his hand in that fight, plus he got cut, and now he might get suspended, so Atlas is destroying the career of yet another boxer.

The Hock

Master
What a weird episode. The question is why. What was the purpose? You look at the names involved and you think maybe this was part of some fat kid's Bar Mitzvah party or something.

The Hock said:
What a weird episode. The question is why. What was the purpose? You look at the names involved and you think maybe this was part of some fat kid's Bar Mitzvah party or something.
Atlas is nothing but a street goon, you can take the goon off the street, but you can't take the street outof the goon. Atlas get's a gold mine in his hands,
and all he knows to do is to setup some back room fight, too put a few dollors in his pocket without Povetkin's management knowing about it.
and maybe get a top fighter hurt, it's like takeing a milliom dollor race horse and harming it in a log pulling contest....

ww

Guru
Puff piece on Teddy Atlas.  They like to give each other awards and accolades.

"Atlas fights the good fight!"

http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/atlas-fights-the-good-fight-2-62858#more-62858
Edited by: ww

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Atlas advised Povetkin to not fight Dominick Guinn on Oct 30. Guinn KOed Michael Grant, back when Grant had Teddy in his corner...

Now Kubrat Pulev is scheduled to fight Guinn on the same Oct 30 card.

Atlas is gradually ruining Povetkin's confidence, as he did to Michael Grant and others.

ww

Guru
At least Teddy "fights the good fight" Atlas hasn't yet attempted to murder Povetkin as he did Donny Lalonde.

From Wilipedia:

"In 2006, Atlas published his autobiography, Atlas: From the Streets to the Ring: A Son's Struggle to Become a Man. In the book, he revealed that he came close to murdering Lalonde. "When he made six million for Leonard, it tore me up," Atlas wrote. "It made me murderous." If Lalonde had not fired Atlas and he had been with Lalonde for the Leonard fight, Atlas would've gotten 10% of Lalonde's purse, $600,000.

Atlas described getting a gun and going to Lalonde's apartment building in New York. After getting buzzed into the building by another tenant, Atlas went to Lalonde's apartment and knocked on the door. "If he had opened the door, he was dead," Atlas wrote. "I would have pulled the trigger, turned around, and walked away." However, there was no answer.

Atlas waited through the night for Lalonde to return, periodically phoning the apartment. When he finally got through, Lalonde's girlfriend answered. When asked if Lalonde was home, she said yes. Atlas hung up and started making his way over to the apartment. Somewhere along the way, for whatever reason, Atlas changed his mind.

Lalonde knew nothing about it until the book came out, and a friend told him about it. "It actually didn't surprise me when I heard it," he said. "Teddy got into fights with trainers and fighters quite a bit when I was with him. he may not be the most stable person walking around."[6]

white is right

Hall of Famer
If your ducking the shot and used up Guinn who will you fight....
smiley36.gif
smiley11.gif
He is slowly doing what he did to Moorer to Povetkin if his team is listening to this quackery...
smiley5.gif

Blue Devils

Mentor
From Boxingscene.com

Olimpyskiy Sports Palace, Chekhov, Russia - After approximately five hard-fought rounds it looked like a pretty tough job for probably the finest Russian heavyweight around, Alexander Povetkin (20-0, 15 KOs). But everything ended suddenly for the "African Prince" Teke Oruh (now 14-3-1, 6 KOs), when the WBO #3, WBA #6, WBC #9 and The Ring #3 ranked heavyweight hit him with the monstrous yet short right hand to the whiskers, which had the Nigerian down and out instantly at the very end of the fifth round. Official time of stoppage was 3:00. Povetkin displayed a good shape but had some problems with Oruh's right hand, which tagged him several times in rounds four and five. BScene saw it 50-46 at the time of stoppage.

j41181

Master
Great KO! That's enough proof how good Povetkin can be. But, as long as Uncle Ted is his trainer, it just leaves more doubts for Povetkin to answer.

BTW, what's the latest news on both Denis Boytsov and Mike Marrone?

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
j41181 said:
Great KO! That's enough proof how good Povetkin can be. But, as long as Uncle Ted is his trainer, it just leaves more doubts for Povetkin to answer.

BTW, what's the latest news on both Denis Boytsov and Mike Marrone?

Boytsov is fighting on Nov 13 against TBA, and Marrone is scheduled for Dec 17 against Darryl Madison, a fat & feather-fisted but skillful & crafty southpaw.

Blue Devils

Mentor
121710lb002.jpg

Weights: Firtha 259 Povetkin 229.3

It's a shame Teddy Witless has Povetkin fighting Tye Fields leftovers
smiley6.gif

On the undercard

121710lb001.jpg

Weights: Ismailov 197.5 Hernandez 199.1

The Cuban will likely win but you guys know who I'm rooting for
smiley2.gif

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Povetkin struggled with Nicolas Firtha today, but managed to win a UD.

Sasha seems to have lost his self-confidence, he was rather hesitant during the fight and seemed to be thinking too much. The camera showed Mr Sauerland looking very unhappy during the later rounds of the fight.

Firtha appeared to knock Povetkin down in the 10th round, but the referee didn't count it.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Damn! It sucks Sasha is fighting poorly!! I picked him as the next guy to pick up the Klitschko's throne. I know he has the talent, the management is what he's lacking.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Yeah, any fighter who takes on Teddy Atlas as a trainer is through. The tragedy is, Povetkin threw away a huge payday and title shot against the Klitschkos to get more fights against journeymen.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Good news -- looks like Atlas is on the way out as trainer of Povetkin.

Not too late for Alex to undo the damage.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Atlas claims that he didn't recommend the Wlad fight because when he looked at the figures Povetkin was going to be left with crumbs. He is also accusing Kalle Sauerland of being a German version of Don King. He might have a point here. But I don't any fighters that haven't had a soured relationship with Atlas after being with him for many fights. He is way too obsessive.

Westside

Hall of Famer
A couple of great trainers for Alex would be obviously Roach, or Bloodworth, Calzaghe, Cunningham, Goosen or Steward if he was not with the K Bros. Ones to avoid are Mayweather, McGuirt or as the evidence mounts, Uncle Teddy "Malcontent" Atlas.

JReb1

Mentor
Atlas is as bad a trainer as he is as a commentator! Teddy destroyed Grant's confidence by humiliating him on TV while he was trying to regroup after his loss to Lewis. Atlas gets overrated because he "won" a title with Moorer when he got a gift decision over Holyfield and during the fight Teddy was acting like a complete fool, I was embarrassed for him and Moorer...