Your Favorite (All Time) MMA Fighters?

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
I was curious as to whom everyone's favorite all-time MMA fighters are. Below are mine. :)

1) Fedor
2) Matt Hughes
3) Don Frye
4) Mirko Filipovic
5) Dan Severn
6) Dan Henderson
7) Matt Lindland
8) Randy Couture
9) Chuck Liddell
10) Bas Rutten

***Hon.Mention :wink: = GSP, Royce Gracie, Wandy Silva, Ken Shamrock, Lesnar, Oleg Taktarov , Sean Sherk, Roy Nelson & Spencer Fisher.

Zeus

Guru
Now that's a great thread, good work my friend :thumbsup:

Here's my personal top 15 :

Fedor Emelianenko
Dan Henderson
Randy Couture
GSP
Igor Vovchanchyn
Bas Rutten (I have met him in person)
Vitor Belfort
Shogun Rua
Mirko Cro Cop
Chuck Liddell
Matt Hughes
Dan Severn
Andrei Arlovski (a prime one)
Constantinos Philippou (I have great expectations from him)
Both Shamrock brothers

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
I'm going with Fedor. It's a shame he ended his career on such a down note. He should have retired a bit earlier like boxer Vitali Klitschko will be doing after his next fight. When your skills start to erode a bit you know it.

frederic38

Hall of Famer
fedor

i liked le banner a lot but he's a kickboxer

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
fedor

i liked le banner a lot but he's a kickboxer

Le Banner is a beast. My favorite kickboxers are Le Banner, Semmy Schilt, Peter Aerts, and the Roufus Brothers.

Zeus

Guru
I forgot to mention Semmy Schilt who's K-1 greatest ever in my opinion.

Zeus

Guru
Does anyone know what has happened to George Sotiropoulos? The man had a great winning streak, at some point there was even discussion for a title shot and he had this bad injury and these two losses in a row and after that I haven't heard much about him! Anyone knowing something? He's a favorite as well for national reasons!

Hawkeye2

Mentor
Sotiropoulos is battle injuries, he was suppose to fight Gomi in February, but had to back out of it due to an unspecified injury. He is still under contract with UFC and is only 34 so I don't think he will retire.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
It has to be this guy who was the first complete MMA fighter(sorry Royce but you fled the UFC when they changed the rules).......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtLxxwzz86o&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL982B5E45E68584E3

Ruas was a bad mammajamma indeed. I remember watching him take apart Paul "Polar Bear" Varelans (who's almost my size) to win the UFC 7 tourney (having earlier that night submitted a game Remco Pardoel....after also subbing Larry Cureton...all in the same night). Marco's footstomps and leg kicks were legendary. Ruas also sub'd afroletes Patrick Smith and Gary Goodridge. :biggrin:

***Zeus,

FYI, Vitor Belfort is said to be of French and Greek bloodlines. I thought you might appreciate his Greek heritage. :smiley:

http://ethnicelebs.com/vitor-belfort

Last edited:

Zeus

Guru
***Zeus,

FYI, Vitor Belfort is said to be of French and Greek bloodlines. I thought you might appreciate his Greek heritage. :smiley:

http://ethnicelebs.com/vitor-belfort

Thank you very much my friend, but as you understand a "facts&stats" freak like me knew that already hehehehe. He is exactly the same combination as me, I think the Greek-French combination is the most common from all nationalities that have been mixed with Greek, but I could be wrong cause it seems like many Greek men have been married with British women as well. Anyways, most people expect a person of Greek origin to always have a funny Greek surname but that's not the case in many situations cause some Greeks cut or change their sirname for practical reasons (Jennifer Anniston, Eder Jofre, Criss Angel, George Michael being few examples ).
Also boxer Sergio Martinez is of Greek and Spanish origin.

Very good knowledge though my friend, I thought not many knew about Belfort being Greek and French :icon_wink:

PS
Did you know that Hugh Jackman is part Greek? I think many ignore this too, but I saw the man saying that in an interview with his own mouth.

Last edited:

Zeus

Guru
zeus, i suspect that this brazilian player might also be of greek origin: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruno_César

does zanaki sounds like a greek name?

All the surnames ending in "akis" aka Zagorakis, Sifakis, Galifianakis etc are of Cretan origin, so Zanakis could be a Greek name easily and he did cut it to Zanaki.........like Mina Alexandra Suvaris, did cut it to Mena Suvari, so yes it's very possible Frederic, is he any good? hehehe

Also, since I mentioned the Greek surname charatetistics, it would be interesting to mention that all the surnames ending in "idis" aka Zambidis, Longinidis, Katsidis, Salpingidis, Demis Nikolaidis etc are of North Greek heritage (Thracian or Macedonian, the real Macedonians of Alexander the Great bloodline, which is Greek for 5 thousand years now, not the Slavic new country that was part of former Yugoslavia and tries to steal history and names from Greece now).

Zeus

Guru
I think the Greek-French combination is the most common from all nationalities that have been mixed with Greek, but I could be wrong cause it seems like many Greek men have been married with British women as well.

Also I would like to mention, because I don't want anymore misunderstandings or some to think that I always "promote" the Greek male, or presenting Greek men being the alpha males etc (even though I always try to stick to the facts) that Native Greek women when they marry or date a non Greek, in 99% of the cases (that's a wild guess but not far from the truth) it's either a white male from Italy or France, so yes I think that the Greek-Italian and Greek-French "mixing" (to me white-white is not mixing, but in terms of nations I mean) is the most frequent for both sexes in Greece.

frederic38

Hall of Famer
All the surnames ending in "akis" aka Zagorakis, Sifakis, Galifianakis etc are of Cretan origin, so Zanakis could be a Greek name easily and he did cut it to Zanaki.........like Mina Alexandra Suvaris, did cut it to Mena Suvari, so yes it's very possible Frederic, is he any good? hehehe

yes he's pretty good but since he's brazilian no big club want to buy him
he plays for benfica so he plays champions league, and often he goes far in it
he's also a brazilian international

amoeba man

Guru
Thank you very much my friend, but as you understand a "facts&stats" freak like me knew that already hehehehe. He is exactly the same combination as me, I think the Greek-French combination is the most common from all nationalities that have been mixed with Greek, but I could be wrong cause it seems like many Greek men have been married with British women as well. Anyways, most people expect a person of Greek origin to always have a funny Greek surname but that's not the case in many situations cause some Greeks cut or change their sirname for practical reasons (Jennifer Anniston, Eder Jofre, Criss Angel, George Michael being few examples ).
Also boxer Sergio Martinez is of Greek and Spanish origin.

Very good knowledge though my friend, I thought not many knew about Belfort being Greek and French :icon_wink:

PS
Did you know that Hugh Jackman is part Greek? I think many ignore this too, but I saw the man saying that in an interview with his own mouth.

Both of Hugh Jackman's parents are British.

Zeus

Guru
Both of Hugh Jackman's parents are British.

Man, I saw the man himself saying that..........I said he's part Greek, not that his parents are Greek, you should know by now that i never make up things and I always stick to the facts :)

"The Australian actor was born to English parents, Chris Jackman and Grace Watson. However Hugh’s paternal great-grandfather, Nicholas Isidor Bellas was Greek."

http://ethnicelebs.com/hugh-jackman