Why QB position is still mostly white

referendum

Mentor
I have a theory on why white QB's still dominate in the NFL. Unlike most positions in the NFL, QB is very stat heavy. Even the most casual fan can figure out that throwing lots of interceptions, lots of incompletions, etc. etc. is a potential QB problem. The QB rating is merciless in its inexorable documentation of the failings of many Black QBs, such as Vick, Mcnair and Culpepper and Young. This spotlight effect does not apply to most other positions, and since it is also the games most important, might be why owners and management are resistant to going for black domination of the position. You can replace some white lineman with black ones and the teams performance might not change much assuming the black players are about as good as the white ones, but to go from Peyton Manning to Kordell Stewart is going to make one huge difference that would hurt a teams performance in a massive way.

G

I will probably get flamed for this and called a race traitor or whatever but I think your being a little to hard on Young calling him a failure, seeing he's a rookie.

lumsdenpower

Mentor
Vince Young is a failure..His throw motion SUCK and he always throw to the tight end..he rarely throw to Bennett..that make me sick

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
It's not for lack of trying that there aren't many good black QBs in the NFL. There's no "resistance" at all from management and others. About half of the major college programs now start black quarterbacks. Few are good enough to make it in the NFL, but many are given the opportunity every season. We had a thread a couple of months back about how about a third of the QBs in training camp this summer were black.

Quarterback requires a set of mental and physical skills at which whites dominate, but I-A college ball and the NFL will continue to give any and all black QBs who showthe least bit ofability plenty of opportunity to succeed. The inherent logic of the Caste System as applied to football is for the quarterback position to be as black dominated as the rest of them, though discerning observers should be asking a different question: Why aren't all the positions as white dominated as the all-important position of quarterback? Anything less than black domination at quarterback can only be attributed to "racism"from the perspective of Caste System supporters.Edited by: Don Wassall

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I had an interesting conversation with a couple of coworkers over lunch about the caste system. One of them knew my views on the subject and tried to inject a joke into the conversation by saying that everytime he hears an announcer criticize a white wide receiver he thinks of me and my 'conspiracy theory.'

I took this as an opportunity to again explain the facts of the situation.

I said the discrimination against white athletes isn't so much a 'conspiracy,' as it is an ingrained belief on the part of the owners, coaches, and some of the players themselves, that blacks are better athletes. Therefore, GM's and coaches will select black players the majority of the time, regardless of actual playing ability.

My friend said, I can see your point. They probably choose the guy who is the fastest, strongest, and most athletic and think they can teach him to play the game later.

I had to disabuse him of that notion as well. I pointed out that there are *plenty* of white athletes who are faster than, stronger than, and more athletic than their black counterparts. But the racist stereotypes are so ingrained that a white who runs a 4.5 is labeled 'slow' while a black who runs a 4.6 is 'fast.'

Finally, I hit them with what I consider the ultimate argument:

Given the number of white men in this country who play football, at all levels- Pop Warner, high school and college - and given the number of them that excel throughout every level of play, at every position, including running back and cornerback (award winning and record setting players to boot); to assert that the very best of all these athletes is not as good or better than the worst of all the black running backs and cornerbacks in the NFL is ridiculous on it's face, and is statistically impossible, given the total population of whites and blacks and their participation in the sport of football.

There were no further comments.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
i have similar conversations on a regular basis. and it seems to surprise people that i have so many facts at my disposal. it usually really gets them to thinking.
smiley32.gif

they are even more surprised when i don't worry that black people are often listening in, as if i'm somehow scared of being labelled a racist.
smiley36.gif
so many people are scared to death of being called a racist that they seem dumbfounded when i tell them that "if being proud of who i am makes me a racist, then that's fine. there are a lot worse things to be... like showing up late to work, or being an *******."

they can't believe i'm so unintimidated.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I think some of the people I talk to believe I'm full of sh*t til I send them links and articles that support my assertions 100%. The majority of people I talk to about things like the North American Union think I'm a conspiracy nut.

So I sent them the YouTube links provided to us here by another CF member, of Lou Dobbs taking on this very issue.
smiley4.gif

I personally don't know anyone in real life (besides family members) who disagrees with the notion that blacks aren't simply superior athletes. I see this asserted time and again in different conversations. I end up discussing all manner of sporting events when that happens - the Olympics, track and field, ultra marathons, triathlons, power lifting, tennis, etc, etc. Like you, they're surprised that I have so many facts at my disposal.

I owe it all to Don Wassall and the members of Caste Football.
smiley2.gif

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
i agree with you White Shogun! Don and the members of Caste Football have certainly made things a lot better. many thanks to them all!
smiley32.gif

surfsider

Guru
It is presumed that the US population just passed the 300 million mark and I would guess that there are maybe 30 regular posters on Castefootball. That would make us(someone check my math) .0000001% of the population. Oh well, no one said it would be easy. I join with Jimmy Chitwood and White Shogun in the kudos to Don and the others.

Some 30 years ago, you would see it written that in 10 years (mid 1980's) more than half of the NFL QB's would be black. For one reason or another, this hasn't happened.

This was a big preoccupation with sportswriters in the early 1970's. They would rail about the fact that all NFL QB's were white. "Racism," they wrote, with an air of certitude. Howard Cosell would say sarcastically, "The NFL will someday find a qualified black to play quarterback."

SteveB

Mentor
The problem with black quarterbacks is they are successful in high school and college, not by throwing the ball but by running. For a multitude of reasons, this style doesn't work in the NFL, yet the coaches in the NFL keep trotting these guys out without much success. You would think that over the last 20 years they would have learned from their failures.

The only black QB that was a consistent passer over a long period of time was Warren Moon. He had no more mobility than any of the white QBs, but was able to get the ball to his receivers effectively. If the Caste Masters wanted to play more black QBs, you would think that they would use Moon as the model instead of Stewart/Vick/Carter/Wright etc.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I agree SteveB, and sporthistorian, I can almost hear Howard Cosell saying that too.
smiley36.gif

Vince Young is not a failure yet. He is over rated for sure. I do not believe that he is very good or that he ever will be very good. But that does not in and of itself make him a failure at his position until he actually does indeed fail.

white is right

Hall of Famer
sport historian said:
Some 30 years ago, you would see it written that in 10 years (mid 1980's) more than half of the NFL QB's would be black. For one reason or another, this hasn't happened.

This was a big preoccupation with sportswriters in the early 1970's. They would rail about the fact that all NFL QB's were white. "Racism," they wrote, with an air of certitude. Howard Cosell would say sarcastically, "The NFL will someday find a qualified black to play quarterback."
They did his name was Vince Evans.....
smiley36.gif
I used to joke with my buddies that if you saw Vince Evans on his best days you would wonder why he was a backup, and if you saw him on his worst days you would wonder why he was in the league....
smiley36.gif
Also the NFL had a bunch of minority QB's Tom Flores, Joe Kapp and Jim Plunkett are all Mexican/Americans. The hippie media tend to see what they want see when it comes it race in sport.

GWTJ

Mentor
surfsider said:
It is presumed that the US population just passed the 300 million mark and I would guess that there are maybe 30 regular posters on Castefootball. That would make us(someone check my math) .0000001% of the population. Oh well, no one said it would be easy. I join with Jimmy Chitwood and White Shogun in the kudos to Don and the others.

While the number of posters may be small, the number of viewers is probably very large. I read things on this site for months before finally becoming a member. I wonder if this site records total hits per day. Don, any info on that?

Tom Iron

Mentor
Greetings - I'm new on this forum, although I monitored it for some time. I think that the posts on the issue of black QBs are excellent.

My own take on this is that the position of QB is unique in that all the persons faculties are brought intoforewhile playing this position. For instance, the level of focus and concentrationand attention to detail is far more than any other position on the field. That's why so many black QBs don't do well consistantly, day after day, week after week, etc. I believe the good White QBs arecompletely focused all the while he's out on the field. He sees everything that occurs on the field, whether it be a defender getting up slow after a play to one of hisreceivers who he didn't throw towho was open. All these different things are stored in his mind for later reference during the course of the game.

Another important point is thatwhen a White QB calls a play, he sees through periferal vision the first step of most of the defenders, somewhat like a camera snapshot. I don't think black QBs have the wherewithall tofocus at such a level.That's why they take off and runso often rather than stay the course and wait for the receiver to make his break. because they didn't see the field as I described with the White QB, they'resurprised when the rush gets close and panic and abort the play.

I think that's the major difference, the overall thought process that goes with the athleticism.I would go so far as to say that people who bet should factor the race of the QB (I'm sure they already do) into their betting (I'm not a betor).

white is right

Hall of Famer
foreverfree said:
white is right, I thought Joe Kapp was part American Indian?

John
He obviously has some native ancestry, but he always referred to himself as Mexican. One time I recall Kapp calling himself "a dumb Mexican" or something to that effect....
smiley36.gif
Edited by: white is right

As I recall, Jim Plunkett was always thought of as a "white QB." I don't remember Plunkett describing himself as Mexican. The writers would sometimes mention Plunkett's ancestry, but didn't make anything of it. Now, it might be different, but Plunkett was obviously the same sort of man as his contemporaries.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I remember Plunkett also assomeone who was considered awhite QB. Flores too, though when he coached the Raiders to the Super Bowl he did get some mention of being hispanic. Flores and Plunkett are probably about as "Mexican" as Jeff Garcia, who is also considered white. Bringing attention to white "hispanics" doesn't help the system in its efforts tobrand hispanics in themass whitemind as some sort of united non-white race.

I don't remember Joe Kapp ever being described as a non-white quarterback. He may have had a little Indian in him, but like so many Americans who brag of their Indian ancestry (including many whites who claim to be racially conscious), it was most likely 1/16 or 1/32 or some other very small amount.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I thought Jim Plunkett was the most "Native American" out of any of those guys, but maybe I am getting him confused with Jim Thorpe.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
GWTJ said:
While the number of posters may be small, the number of viewers is probably very large. I read things on this site for months before finally becoming a member. I wonder if this site records total hits per day. Don, any info on that?

Caste Footballcontinues to grow but notat the same rapid paceas before. I've found out that "hits" is usually a very misleading statistic, making sites appear to be getting much more traffic than they actually are. Apparently "hits" includes pictures and graphics on a page, so when a person goes to the CF homepage for instance, he's just one visitor but the number of "hits" from his visit is far higher than that. Number of page views is more relevant than hits.

Here are the relevant traffic statistics for Caste Football:

Totalsfrom 10/15/04 through yesterday:

Total unique visitors: 223,567 (the number of different people who have visited the site)

Repeat visitors: 29,167

Number of page views: 4,515,541

"hits": 38,936,832

The hits number is meaningless as best I can tell though it looks good lol. The most importantone is repeat visitors, as this is the number of people who have come back to the site more than once. Out of 29,167 repeat visitors, some fraction of that is the number of people who visit here regularly or irregularly. I would estimate that number to be several thousand. Edited by: Don Wassall

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Colonel_Reb said:
I thought Jim Plunkett was the most "Native American" out of any of those guys, but maybe I am getting him confused with Jim Thorpe.

He may be, my memory isn't clear though I do know he wasn't generally regarded by the media as a minority quarterback. Both of his parents were blind if I recall correctly, which was usually the thrust of articles detailing his background and what he had to overcome.