White WR

Freedom

Mentor
I loved the Matt Jones quote, "I think (former NFL receiver turned commentator) Cris Carter said if I was an African American athlete, I would have been a top-10 pick."

Carter is aware of the white discrimination. I think it is a victory when a black star athlete acknowledges stereotypes and even a larger victory when a white athlete acknowledges it. I never thought poorly of Carter, just Moss. I know I am going to piss a lot of posters that I like on the board, but Carter was always the Gehrig(the clean cut star) to Moss' Ruth(the flamboyant god) to the best of my knowledge which I admit is based solely on watching.

However, I hated the overall acceptance of the paradigm that blacks are simply faster. The author just assumed that blacks are faster.Edited by: Freedom

Freedom

Mentor
Mike Holmgren on Bill Walsh:

"He'd go, 'OK, we're going to take the fastest guy out there,' said Holmgren, who was the quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator for the 49ers from 1986 to 1991. "His rationale was . . . (a fast receiver) would stretch (an opponent's) defense."

Is this the same Bill Walsh who started and relied on Jerry Rice and his 4.6-4.7 speed? Sounds like a castewhore with the hypocrite statement.

This article had its pro's and con's. I applaud Matt Jones for his comments, such as this one:

"You could probably count the number of white wide receivers in the NFL on two hands," said Jones, who was drafted by Jacksonville."I know there's a lot of talented white athletes. I don't know why more of them don't play at that position."

Oh, believe me, Matt knows why there aren't more White recievers in the league. He just didn't want to come out with the real reason, for fear of throwing his career in the toilet. I kind of can't blame him, as he only just started his career.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
It's pretty much a pro-Caste System article right down the line imo. It perpetuates the lie that there are very few fast white receivers, and never mentions the all-important recruiting practices of the big college programs, which do not offer scholarships to white receivers. The subject matter makes it slightly "daring," but the content sure doesn't.

And this little tidbit is flat out wrong: "The small number of white receivers among the leaders reflects the changing face of the NFL. White players make up 30 percent of the players this season. The percentage of white players approached 70 percent a quarter-century ago, according to NFL.com."

The NFL was last 70 percent white in the late 1960s. A quarter century ago (1982) it was just over 50 percent black.