White urban underclass

Charlie

Guru
http://tiny.cc/0opc0

From 1994 U.S. News and World Report. Interesting not just for the subject matter but in how the issue is discussed (very liberal notions such as poor blacks are worse off because they can't get better housing due to racism, etc.). I wonder what changes have occurred in 15 years. Have these neighborhoods become all-black or all-non-white-Hispanic? Then the drug problem was alcohol and some heroin. Is it meth now? Charles Murray of 'The Bell Curve' says out-of-wedlock births drive underclass formation. The white rate is now 28% (versus 22% in 1991).

While concern over a growing white underclass is primarily due to increased social welfare costs I suspect there are other reasons as well. Note the white Detroit gangs who patrol the neighborhood against outside troublemakers (race unspecified). The white woman who was impregnated in the seventh grade by an older black man who lived downstairs. The middle aged white woman who is called '*****' by black neighbors she doesn't know.

Poor whites are problematic because they have direct experience with blacks and are willing to fight them out of necessity. Racial policy in America depends on whites being afraid of blacks.

The whites seem more resilient even though just as poor as their non-white counterparts. They are reluctant to consider themselves victims or to even view themselves as especially poor.

The new fad among churches is to send their young members to Africa to minister to blacks for a few weeks at a time. Somehow I think helping whites in America is just as worthwhile.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Charlie, I agree with your last sentence, but would go a step further. I'd say for Christians to help whites here at home is more worthwhile considering the bleak future we face if current trends and practices continue. Better to keep your own house in order, imho.

whiteCB

Master
Charlie said:
The new fad among churches is to send their young members to Africa to minister to blacks for a few weeks at a time. Somehow I think helping whites in America is just as worthwhile.

Oh trust me the white people of Appalachia could use it more than ever. I've lived in Appalachia and the conditions these poor white people have to endure are brutal. They are way more worse off than any family in Harlem. These people live in habitats that make "the hood" look like Beverly Hills.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
whiteCB said:
Charlie said:

Oh trust me the white people of Appalachia could use it more than ever. I've lived in Appalachia and the conditions these poor white people have to endure are brutal. They are way more worse off than any family in Harlem. These people live in habitats that make "the hood" look like Beverly Hills.

I agree completely, whiteCB.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Colonel_Reb said:
whiteCB said:
Charlie said:

I agree completely, whiteCB.

Ditto here. Take care of your own before worrying about the heathens overseas.