Where to live?

Bart

Hall of Famer
I'm thinking of moving to a more pleasant climate. My wife lived in Kentucky as a child and she would like to return someday. I detest the cold, snowy drawn out winters of the North but don't relish long periods of hot weather coupled with high humidity either. Of course a white friendly, low tax state would be high on my list of priorities.The oil prices and cost of energy keep escalating and who knows what will happen if there isa major debacle in the mid -east.Why freeze to death or bake?There should be something in-betweenthat's suitable. Any suggestions?

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Texas and Florida both have no state income tax and warm weather. I'm not sure if you'd describe them as "white friendly" though. It would probably depend on to what part of the state you moved.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
If you don't like humidity (and I despise it), the West is far drier. Of course, in the Southwest you've got the ongoing Mexican invasion, but there are still plenty of towns and cities that haven't been affected much yet. In the Northwest you have to deal with cold and snow in the winter except for the Pacific Coast, and places like Portland and Seattle are very rainy.

The Appalachians in eastern Tennessee and western North Carolina appeal to many. The altitude is high enough that the summers aren't as oppressive and the winters are still fairly mild. And both have low taxes. The CofCC held its national meeting in the Smokies in 2004 and it was almost all white in that area.

JD074

Master
I've lived in Kentucky all my life, so I have nothing to compare it to, but I think the weather is pretty mild. It's not really all that southern, so it's not as muggy as some of the more southern states. But maybe it would be worse for someone who's not used to it. The winters are really mild. And there's not many natural disasters either.

Bart

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
The Appalachians in eastern Tennessee and western North Carolina appeal to many. The altitude is high enough that the summers aren't as oppressive and the winters are still fairly mild. And both have low taxes. The CofCC held its national meeting in the Smokies in 2004 and it was almost all white in that area.

Thanks Don, your description of the region is making it look very appealing to me. I've gone to Vegas a couple times but don't care for the heat. But it's a dry heat, people like to say... as the skin melts off their faces. There are still many great areas in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin far removed from the major cities. In some of those ruralsettings and small towns it's almost like a Norman Rockwell portrait. Well, sort of. They have a sense of family, community and old-time Americangoodness. Multi-culturalism totally destroys a sense of harmony and unity and even security to a great extent. To tell you the truth, I'd love to live in a place like Andy Griffith's Mayberry. I kid you not.

KG2422

Mentor
West Virginia is mostly white and the real estate is dirt cheap. I live in Texas. I would't recommend it. There are some good people here ,but whites already make up less than half of the population.

Spooge

Guru
Please don't think of moving to Montana, its soooo cold (minus
25 degrees this past December), no move to Colorado, Nevada, Utah,
Arizona, New Mexico, etc.