What is your heritage?

If European-Americans were encouraged to extensively research their heritage, I predict there would be a swift rise in the ranks of White Nationalism, White Separatism, White Supremacy, etc.

Very true. How could someone not be interested in his own roots, particularly from across an ocean? I'm very grateful for having two genealogists in my extended family, who did a fine job on a couple of family lines, and I actually lucked into tracing another one back to the early 17th century by connecting my own line with a huge job somebody else did and published online. It's fascinating stuff.

Deus Vult

Mentor
If you have not subscribed to one of the major genealogy research services, such as Ancestry.com or Genealogy Bank, please resolve to do so this year. You'll have access to not only census and marriage records you may search yourself, but also trees previously constructed by distant relatives. In other words, you may find that someone has done a great deal for the work for you.
You may find, as I did, that distant cousins you've never met have posted rare photos of common relatives you share. If you have rare old photos and post them, you'll be contacted by distant relatives, thanking you for posting them. And there's a good chance you'll receive a comment like:
"He looks so much like my own father/son/grandson..."
That is what it's all about. At a gut level, despite the constant brainwashing by media and establishment, no one dismisses the value of seeing photo of a great-great-grandmother in her late teens and, lo and behold, she looks alot like your 17 year old daughter! No one sees that resemblance and is not viscerally connected.
This is one reason I agree with Thrashen, that essentially more white people would value their own kind (in the present, en bloc) if they were more connected to their own very real ancestors. Everything in media tells us that nonwhites ought to value their own noble heritage. Others have rich history and culture; whereas (non-Jewish) whites have at best a meaningless void. (Non-Jewish) Whites are scolded at any sign of positive ethnocentrism.
Hail the ancestors! They ARE us, and we ARE them.
Denying our connection to them, to our heritage, has resulted in our present crisis of confidence. Modern media, combined with a tragic misunderstanding of Teddy Roosevelt's admonition against "hyphenated Americanism," conspires against the doormant-but-powerful white giant.
So, know your heritage and celebrate your heritage. The folks who made you possible gave you not only life itself, but the physical traits you inherited from them. This includes your intellect, a product of the brain, therefore a physical trait; this includes your basic personality, also a product of the brain and your biochemical makeup. You carry their genes, as they carried your shared ancestors' genes, and responsibly continue what they gifted you and yours.

Riggins44

Master
100% English on my mom's side. They've been here since the 1700's. 80% Irish on dad's side. The rest is Norwegian, Scottish and Pennsylvania Dutch.

My Great-grandfather's family came over from Ireland around 1845, during the Potato Famine I believe, and he was the first of his siblings born in America. He enlisted in the Union army when he was 16 and lost his right hand in the Battle of Bristoe Station, after which he was discharged. He then went on to father 15 children, 12 of whom survived childhood. With two wives, the first one dying after she had four children. He was 58 when my grandfather, who was his 14th child, was born.

Last edited:
My parents are Cuban. 7 out of my 8 great grandparents were from Spain (Northern and Southern). The outlier was Lebanese.

Deus Vult

Mentor
There is a brand new (2014) book out, in part about my great-grandfather's family. The book is called "The Great New Orleans Kidnapping Case," by a mulatto-looking fellow named Michael A. Ross, an Associate Professor of History at the Univ of Maryland.

The setting is Reconstruction-era New Orleans. In June 1870, my great-grandfather's then 17-month-old sister was kidnapped by two women: a negress and a mulatress. It was a major case and a major media story. Confederates trumpeted the abduction to point out the danger of black crime; pro-Reconstructionists in government maneuvered to solve the case in hopes of demonstrating the police and courts of the day were capable and just.

The author sees the entire case and setting as a squandered opportunity for racial integration and understanding and blah, blah, blah. All the sentiment that turned New Orleans into a dysfunctional mess.

It is a well-written book, nonetheless. Very interesting to read about my own great-great-grandparents, Thomas Digby and Bridgette Annie Gibbons Digby (born born in Ireland, met in New Orleans), and the ordeal their family endured.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
I plan on buying 2ancestry DNA tests sometime this year. One for me and one for my dad he was adopted so heritage on his side is cloudy.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
There is a brand new (2014) book out, in part about my great-grandfather's family. The book is called "The Great New Orleans Kidnapping Case," by a mulatto-looking fellow named Michael A. Ross, an Associate Professor of History at the Univ of Maryland.

The setting is Reconstruction-era New Orleans. In June 1870, my great-grandfather's then 17-month-old sister was kidnapped by two women: a negress and a mulatress. It was a major case and a major media story. Confederates trumpeted the abduction to point out the danger of black crime; pro-Reconstructionists in government maneuvered to solve the case in hopes of demonstrating the police and courts of the day were capable and just.

The author sees the entire case and setting as a squandered opportunity for racial integration and understanding and blah, blah, blah. All the sentiment that turned New Orleans into a dysfunctional mess.

It is a well-written book, nonetheless. Very interesting to read about my own great-great-grandparents, Thomas Digby and Bridgette Annie Gibbons Digby (born born in Ireland, met in New Orleans), and the ordeal their family endured.

Very interesting story thanks for sharing!

Deus Vult

Mentor
I plan on buying 2ancestry DNA tests sometime this year. One for me and one for my dad he was adopted so heritage on his side is cloudy.

Celt, when you do please post here a review or summary of your experience with the DNA tests. If it works as advertised, it is something more than worthwhile. I really think it could be the kind of thing that has popular potential and should make disconnected individuals feel more connection to their own heritage.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Celt, when you do please post here a review or summary of your experience with the DNA tests. If it works as advertised, it is something more than worthwhile. I really think it could be the kind of thing that has popular potential and should make disconnected individuals feel more connection to their own heritage.

Will do!

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Most Anglo-Saxon...English, Welsh, Scots-Irish with a pinch of French Huegonot & Norse.

Upon doing some recent ancestry research with my son, I found German bloodlines (circa late 1600s). I also am distant kin to Lance Armstrong (via my maternal Grandad's side).

Deus Vult

Mentor

Not long ago I did a DNA test through Ancestry.com. Very enlightening. My results showed my DNA is mostly identified with Scandinavia, Ireland, "Great Britain," and "Europe West."

Not only did Ancestry provide this scientific analysis; there are summary historical profiles of the regions for the unlearned. However, the most rewarding feature was that Ancestry.com immediately linked me with a number of others who also took their DNA test thru that service and identified a (likely) 1st cousin, several 2nd-3rd cousins, and a great many 4th-7th cousins. I've been able to contact and correspond with (on that site) many of them to compare family trees to see which ancestors we have in common.

I gotta say, they are some damn good-lookin', intelligent folks! :nod:

Claimjumper

Mentor
Scottish and Italian on my mom's side. Both these families came over in the late 1800's settling in Alabama and upstate New York.

French/Corsican and German on my dad's side. Settled in the Portsmouth, VA area in the late 1700's via Santo Domingo. There is a longstanding story in my family that we are distant relatives to Napoleon but haven't found anything concrete to substantiate

Another site I'd recommend is FamilySearch.org, hosted by the LDS. It has volunteers indexing new records so its a very extensive free service