West Virgina, how white?

referendum

Mentor
I know the Mountaineers best players Gansey and Pittsnoogle are both white, how about their other starters. Anyone know?

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Hey maybe Col. Reb will go thru all 117 Div IA teams and post the white starters?
smiley2.gif

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know their official starting lineup, but their top four scorers are white -- Kevin Pittsnogle (20.2 ppg); Mike Gansey (18.7 ppg); German-born Johannes Herber (9.6 ppg); and Patrick Beilein (8.9 ppg). Definitely a team to root for. Pittsnogle is 6-11 and 250 andis an exceptional outside shooter for his size. He's working hard now on his inside game. He has a good chance to be an impact player in the NBA.

Pittsnogle

Pittsnogle-Kevin.jpg

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Sorry jaxvid, but I just don't feel like looking at all 117! OK, maybe I'll do just this one team.
smiley4.gif
WVU doesn't list their starters anywhere that I can find, but the 5 guys with the most minutes and who have played in all the games are from the top down: Kevin Pittsnogle(white), Mike Gansey(white), Joe Herber(white), J.D. Collins(black), and Frank Young(black). Like Don said, as far as points go, the same are 1-3, then Patrick Beilein(white, 6'th in minutes) and then Young. I think minutes on the floor is a better indicator of how much a coach trusts a player, but I'm no basketball expert. I think Joe Herber is also a starter every game, based on his minutes. The others may have shared starts. Ya'll take what I found and make up your own minds. As far as WVU's 15 man roster goes, they have 4 blacks and 11 whites!Edited by: Colonel_Reb

KG2422

Mentor
Pittsnoggle reminds me of Brad Miller of the Sacramento Kings. I think he has a little more range on his jumper though.

whiteCB

Master
W.VA is the sh*t they have four white starters and the only non white starter in the PG Frank young. The best shooting and passing team I have ever seen. I really hope they can make to the Final Four and then generate a lot of hype. By the way Mike Gansey was runner up in Mr.Basketball in Ohio to the LeBron so I mean he lost to a heck of a player to tell you how good Gansey was in high school.

whiteCB

Master
Lets go Mountaineers. Did anyone see that game in which they knocked down 14 3 pointers? It was an unbelieveable shooting performance.

JoeV

Guru
There are 326 D-I college basketball programs. That would take a damn long time to inventory! There seems to be many more white players and stars in college BB than in college football. This should be a great March Madness.

ocaamikedm11

Mentor
and of course mostly white teams will emerge from the mid-majors and make some noise in March madness which is always fun.. especially when they beat the all-black teams

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
#12/17 WVU plays at #16/18 UCLA Saturday at 3:45 PM Eastern on CBS. WVU has an 11 game winning streak going. If they can win this game, they will likely rise in the polls next week. This one will be a good one to watch.Edited by: Colonel_Reb

The Duke

By allmedia reports, WVU played their worst game of the seasonagainst a .500 Providence team Tuesday night yet still managed to win by 16 points. If WVU wins the NCAA title this year over a black team in the final, how sweet would that be, turning the tables on the 1966 Texas Western black lovefest/white hatefest that daily dominates the sports ministry.Gonzagaor Duke winning would be great too, but WVU looks like a team of Larry Byrd types, out of the hills and hollows and ready to outplay, out-toughand outsmart just about any opponent.

guest301

Hall of Famer
Gonzaga and Duke winning the championship would suprise nobody that was knowledgeable....West Virginia winning it(they came close last year) would really be a slap in the face to the caste system...

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
WVU beat UCLA 60-56, behind Gansey's 24 points and Pittsnogle's 8 points, 8 rebounds, and 4 assists. That makes them 14-3, and with 2 top ten teams beaten already today, they should move up a spot or two.

whiteCB

Master
Gansey is averaging 19.2 PPG and 4 Reb, this has prompted talk of Gansey as the leading candidate for Big East Player of the year and UCONN's coach was even quoted as saying Gansey would get his vote for player of the year.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
WVU is now 9 in the AP and 13 in the coaches poll! Keep those wins coming guys!
smiley32.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Sadly, WVU lost to a Mark Patton led Thundering Herd at Marshall, 58-52. The nation's longest winning streak is over. Looks like Marhsall started 4 blacks, but Mark Patton led the team in scoring. Looks liek Pittsnogle had guaranteed a WVU victory over their cross-state rival earlier in the week. I bet he will catch it for that. Oh well, I'm sure this will serve to make WVU a better team.

Agreed. Teams that go into the tournament over confident dont fare quite as well as they should. Also if the players feel that they arnt doing anything wrong then they will be reluctant to make the nessasary changes to win games. West Virginia probable has the talent to make the final 8

backrow

Hall of Famer
"you got Pittsnogled"... that was a hilarious sign i saw way back in sportcenter

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
WVU plays at St. John's tomorrow.

whiteCB

Master
Did anyone else see one the St.John's players(of course he was black) say something into the ear of WVU's Mike Gansey while he was on the free throw line trying to put the nail in the coffin to end the game. I wonder what the guy said to Gansey it was probably something racist or a comment about his mom. Can't these guys just leave each other alone and let the guy shoot his free throws in peace.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
WVU is up to number 11 in both polls! Keep it up guys, and make the Final Four!
smiley32.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
WVU won a close one over Notre Dame tonight, 71-70. Pittsnogle had 22.

ocaamikedm11

Mentor
I was actually pulling for ND as they needed the game badly, but having WVU wasn't all that sad for me
smiley36.gif
... It's amazing how everyone says how stacked the Big East is.. yet there really is no press for the only team undefeated in conference play.. hmm I wonder why... Keep it up West Virginia!
smiley32.gif

whiteCB

Master
West Virginia is proving all the doubters wrong that last year's Elite Eight appearence was not a fluke. Gee I wonder why the "experts" were saying last year was a fluke? Mike Gansey has really elevated his game this year but for such a great shooter he's only at 67% from the free throw line.