Week 13 2006

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I am so happy for Mike Furrey.What a year he is having!There should be no way in hell that he can't remain the starter come next season.His hard work has paid off.

It was also great to see Josh get a few catches at wide receiver.He is 6'4 and runs a 4.5 in the 40.Martz is a genius and is one of the few coaches to give white athletes a chance.He had 2 catches for 15 yards.I could see him becoming a very good receiver in a year or two if they stick with him.The Lions may not be a good team this year,but they are exctiting to watch and should challenge for the playoffs come next season.

Hockaday

Guru
White Shogun said:
How much longer does Grossman have before he is yanked for Brian Griese? Grossman is 3 of 10 for 22 yards, 0 TD and 3 INT so far today against Minnesota. As much as I tend toward leaving starting quarterbacks alone even after a bad performance or two, you have to wonder if it isn't time for Grossman to sit.

I never have been sold on Grossman. Just something about him I don't like. Why do the Bears always have mediocre QBs? When have they ever had a top flight QB?

Hockaday

Guru
Colonel_Reb said:
Crap! Just when I turn the volume up on the Saints/Fortiners game, the announcers make fun of FB Mike Karney.
smiley7.gif
One of these days I'll learn to keep the volume off all the time.

Col. Reb, I was watching that too! It was a caste football classic. Karney plows for about a yard (too bad he can't block for himself) and the announcers had a great time with that one, making fun of him looking up at the screen for the replay. They seemed to have thought they'd hit on a funny one, and they went on and on. Very condescending.

backrow

Hall of Famer
white lightning said:
I am so happy for Mike Furrey.What a year he is having!There should be no way in hell that he can't remain the starter come next season.His hard work has paid off.

It was also great to see Josh get a few catches at wide receiver.He is 6'4 and runs a 4.5 in the 40.Martz is a genius and is one of the few coaches to give white athletes a chance.He had 2 catches for 15 yards.I could see him becoming a very good receiver in a year or two if they stick with him.The Lions may not be a good team this year,but they are exctiting to watch and should challenge for the playoffs come next season.

yeah he had another catch for over 30 yards but he pushed the defender off, ever so lightly but got made and they called offensive pass interference. still, nice play!

Furrey is definitely on pace for 1000 yards.

Matt Jones was being complimented yesterday, they said that the coaches think they need him to have success down the stretch. all it took is some balls being thrown to him. how hard was that to figure out?

riggo said:
Jones lights it up for 128 yards but doesn't "impress" the corner who played against him. He says of Matt: "He can't do nothing." 128 yards + a TD = nothing???
[url]http://www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/2006120 4/SPORTS/612040353[/url]

2006-12-04_093832_capt_cef9e274443f407fa490d0e95b4d8ad5_jaguars_dolphins_football_mds107.jpg

"He can't do nothing". Well, well, now thats not gramatically correct now is it. If I were Jones, I'd respond, in the local paper, to a quote like that with a little something like this... "So the "affalete" who covered me doesn't think much of me huh? Well now thats ok, at least I know that if I don't make it in the NFL, I can get a real job somewhere with my degree. But if Mr. Bigmouth Cornerback's career ends early, its back the ghetto he goes.
smiley36.gif

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
in the Cowboys game yesterday, the announcers said that TO leads the league in dropped passes.
smiley36.gif
i guess all those millions of dollars don't buy what it used to...

also, there's been a LOT of criticism about the 3 former #1 picks at receiver for the Falcons, and deservedly so, but they only have the 7th most dropped passes in the league, according to the graphic they used on NFL Gameday...

last year they led the league with 28 drops. this year they are 7th worst with 22 before yesterdays game. wow! yet, somehow Ron Mexico is the only QB getting excused for poor performances.

i wonder which team is the absolute worst... i'm guessing Seattle. they suck. their receivers have hands like feet.

oh yeah, Owens' league-high 10 drops was before the game yesterday.
smiley5.gif

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
i love this pic!

mattjones.jpg

i'm sorry what? i couldn't hear you because of the crowd... they were booing you 'cause i just burned your ass. Touchdown Jacksonville, beeyatch!
smiley36.gif

G

White Shogun said:
FutureGohan, you mentioned the Saints were lucky to pickup Colston in the 7th round. What do you make of their 'luck' in picking up Mike Haas in the 6th, and then not even signing him - college football's best wide receiver in '05?

I don't really understand it, to be honest. I felt he was worth a spot on the team, and I heard he was doing well in practice.
I guess they automatically assumed that Colston had "more athletic ability", so they just kept him around and Hass ends up on the Bears practice squad.

White Shogun said:
EDIT: I would also like to know if there any black players in the NFL that you don't like, for attitude, performance, or any other reason. And are there any black players you think should be benched for their perfomance?

Black players I don't like? Well, Mike Vick is a clown. Terrell Owens is THE biggest clown of them all, but he's calmed down lately. i hated him with a passion for a while though.

Then there's Willis McGahee. i have a story about him.
For two years I went to this camp called offense defense. It's a football camp that teaches contact football and all, but it also includes an NFL player from nearby that camps location.
I went to the Buffalo camp, and the first year I got Takeo Spikes. he is just a REALLY awesome guy. Just great to see him, and I've admired him ever since.

The next year, I was just turned 14 and it was the summer before 9th grade. That year, it was for Willis McGahee.

Willis made a few crucial mistakes

1. He was supposed to show up at about 10:00AM. He did not show up until about noon. That left us sitting out there in the searing sun, waiting for this clown who we were supposed to look up to.

2. When he got there, he didn't speak to us a whole lot. it wasn't like Takeo the year before, who was just really cool and who seemed to actually give a damn about us(I actually have a tape of him patting me on the head once). He wasn't like that.

3. For about half and hour, he walked off of the field, leaving us alone to do the drills, while he went to talk to this girl(she was black). Very attractive she was, but honestly, it was classless at the time. Willis, you had a job to do paying attention to us for a couple hours after we PAID $1000 to come all the way over here to see you. Stop flirting!

4. When he wasn't pimping on the sidelines, he was just laughing it up in the shade with the counselors, who he seemed to know personally. He onyl came to seriously talk to us near the end of the day, and then all he said was a silly cliche: "Never give up, always persevere and overcome". It was all in reference to his knee injury. In all honesty, he didn't really seem to give a damn about us.

That's why I can't stand him, and that one is personal. Overall though, the camp was a great experience for me, and there were four more days left after Willis disappeared. It was a great experience in both years I attended. I didn't go this year, though, since we couldn't a fford it. Attended a local camp instead.
I have pictures of it.

http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/5993/buf05089op6.jpg
I'm on the right with the visor on my helmet. The kid in front of me was one of my good friends at the camp. I think he was from Michigan. There were lots of cool guys at the camp.

http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/7392/buf05083ub7.jpg

This here was Willis actually doing what he was paid to do that day. You can see me there on the right. This drill lasted like 20 minutes and then he went to go talk to his girlfriend.
smiley18.gif

Anyway, other guys I don't respect include Quincy Carter(when he was around) and Javon Walker. There are others, but those are the only ones that come from the top of my head.
There are a number of others I respect as well, but I guess I wont go into that.

white tornado

Mentor
What position do you play and are you in high school.

lumsdenpower

Mentor
white lightning said:

The Lions ARE a good team!I will like it if the lions draft Brady Quinn who will spend all the year on the bensh like Carson Palmer!..8 of the losses of the lions is by 7pts or less..The defense suck, Ernie Simms is a good player, but Boss Bailey is OVERRATED..Teddy Lehman need to be there!

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Good stories, Gohan, thanks for sharing. No sarcasm intended, either.
smiley20.gif

Nice to see all these new young white quarterbacks reading the field, minus
a few mistakes, but definitley getting the praise they deserve. Then there's
black Young, who to me seems like a cookie cutter version of Vick. I foresee
his rating taking a dive over the next few seasons, then he'll probably end
up at the Ravens to wind up his career.
smiley11.gif

backrow

Hall of Famer
Young had a couple of decent games in those comeback victories, to be honest. Still, had they stuck with Volek they probably wouldn't have to come back quite as much to begin with... i still can't believe how badly Billy Volek got screwed over.

backrow

Hall of Famer
Sean Considine is yet again displaying his great open field tackling on MNF! he might be next great white safety

G

white tornado said:
What position do you play and are you in high school.

Linebacker on D and Fullbakc on offense, but primarily, it's fullback. I moved up to varsity this year, and as a sophomore, I'm stuck behind 2 really good juniors at linebacker, but I did get to start at fullback. They wont be gone for a whole nother season though, so I'll still remain primarily a fullback for quite a while.

C Darwin

Mentor
Futuregohan30 said:
2. When he got there, he didn't speak to us a whole lot. it wasn't like Takeo the year before, who was just really cool and who seemed to actually give a damn about us(I actually have a tape of him patting me on the head once). He wasn't like that.
Willis McGahee has a vocabulary of about 200 words. Don't be too hard on him for being quiet.

That's not a Harvard Cup helmet you are wearing in your pic.
smiley5.gif
Edited by: C Darwin

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Colonel_Reb said:
I just saw the replay of the almost-sack by the black Giant on Vince Young that turned into the Giants losing. What a joke! He should have been demoted for that bonehead play. What a fool he looked like, but maybe thats what he was aiming for. Isn't there a rap song that says "act a fool?"

Being a Giants fan, b/c my dad's side of the family are from Jersey, I agree that it was a boneheaded play.However, the reality is that he thought he heard a whistle for a stop of forward progress and with the way they are overprotecting QB's this season it would have been a certain penalty if he pushes him at all even a split second after the whistle. This year they have even been calling roughing the passer on guys hitting the QB a half step after he throws the ball when they are clearly letting up on the QB. The Giants can't demote Kiwanuka because they have no one else at DE, Osi and Strahan are injured. Kiwanuka is a good athlete that was drafted in the 1st round of this years draft.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
White Shogun wrote:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" bgColor=#999999><T>
<T>
<TR>
<TD>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="100%" bgColor=#ffffff><T>
<T>
<TR>
<TD ="text">I hope no one is under the mistaken impression that anyone other than Drew Brees is responsible for saving the Saints from another dismal season.</TD></TR></T></T></TABLE></TD></TR></T></T></TABLE>

Bree's is definitley responsible for the Saints turnaround. Aaron Brooks was usually the worst QB in the league,but would occasionally have a good game. He is the poster boy for inconsistancy.

Another note isthat theSaints should have kept both Colston and Hass they kept two of their receivers, Dante Ridgeway andJamalJonesonly for special teams and Michael Lewis supposedly for his return abilityand Lance Moore only b/che was a coaches favorite for his work ethic and attitude (this is according to Saints message boardsScout.com, they were quite pissed about Hass being cut!!!). Hmmm... sounds alot like Mike Hass as far as the last part butabout Lance Moore butHass definitley has more talent then every receiver on the Saints depth chart except Colston and probably Joe Horn. Hass is actually like a smaller less strongversion of Colston...average speed but runs great routes withgreatelusiveness andhands of glue andI think Hass is quicker than Colston. If Colston is a top 5 receiver in the league this year..that shows that Hass could at least be a good number two receiver on a depth chartin the NFL I think he could put up numbers similiar to Furrey every season if given the chance.Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

backrow

Hall of Famer
we missed one thing, Falcons activated rookie safety Nick Turnbull who got signed from their practice aquad last wednesday. Jordan Beck also got some playing time (about time...)Edited by: backrow

G

C Darwin said:
Futuregohan30 said:
Willis McGahee has a vocabulary of about 200 words. Don't be too hard on him for being quiet.

That's not a Harvard Cup helmet you are wearing in your pic.
smiley5.gif

Harvard Cup? What's that? I play at a school near the Capital region in New York. No harvard cup around here, it's section 2 football.

C Darwin

Mentor
Futuregohan30 said:
Harvard Cup? What's that? I play at a
school near the Capital region in New York. No harvard cup around
here, it's section 2 football.
Since you went to the Bills camp, I assumed you were section VI.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Riggins:

Haas has more talent than Colston, or any other receiver on the Saints team, period. Haas outperformed Colston in college, he outperformed Colston in training camp, and he outperformed Colston in pre-season. The only reason he isn't playing right now is because he is white. Haas could have potentially been rookie of the year had he only been allowed to play.

I suppose you think you're being objective and complimentary by saying the guy who had three consecutive 1,000 yard seasons, was named to the AP and ESPN 1st Team All-American and won the Fred Biletnikoff award in 2005, would make a good 'second receiver' on some team's depth chart. Interesting that you compared him to Mike Furrey, who, while having a great year, was playing safety last year, when instead you could have compared Haas to any number of undoubtedly (in your opinion) more athletic black receivers. Why didn't you just compare him to Ricky Proehl like every other sports writer does when talking about white wide receivers?

What has happened to Mike Haas is a damn travesty, plain and simple. He shouldn't be on some team's practice squad, he should be some team's starting wide receiver. Apparently the number of dropped passes in the league hasn't hit critical mass enough yet to get another white receiver signed and on the field.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Hass is a victim of blatant rascism. I believe the arguement in preseason was they knew what they had in Hass so they didnt play him. It is complete B.S. Colston got much more of a fair shot and played in every preseason game while Hass just played in one I believe. His poor treatment really took any excitement I had this season away very quickly.

White Shogun said:
Riggins:

Haas has more talent than Colston, or any other receiver on the Saints team, period. Haas outperformed Colston in college, he outperformed Colston in training camp, and he outperformed Colston in pre-season. The only reason he isn't playing right now is because he is white. Haas could have potentially been rookie of the year had he only been allowed to play.

I suppose you think you're being objective and complimentary by saying the guy who had three consecutive 1,000 yard seasons, was named to the AP and ESPN 1st Team All-American and won the Fred Biletnikoff award in 2005, would make a good 'second receiver' on some team's depth chart. Interesting that you compared him to Mike Furrey, who, while having a great year, was playing safety last year, when instead you could have compared Haas to any number of undoubtedly (in your opinion) more athletic black receivers. Why didn't you just compare him to Ricky Proehl like every other sports writer does when talking about white wide receivers?

What has happened to Mike Haas is a damn travesty, plain and simple. He shouldn't be on some team's practice squad, he should be some team's starting wide receiver. Apparently the number of dropped passes in the league hasn't hit critical mass enough yet to get another white receiver signed and on the field.

Well I agree that Hass' measurables and production in college both add up to him at least being given a chance to start, college production does not always equate to success in the NFL. David Klingler comes to mind.

I don't think Riggins did anything wrong in comparing Hass to Furrey. Furrey is a good athlete, able to be a DB or WR with success. He is 6-0' 205 pounds while Hass is of similar size as well.Edited by: Sark6354201