Upcoming Super Middleweight Fights

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
We'll have an opportunity to see one of the most exciting boxers in the world on HBO this coming Saturday, as the undefeated Danish boxer Mikkel Kessler (38-0) squares off against Librado Andrade (24-0).

Then, two weeks later, Saturday April 7 on HBO, the man boxrec.com rates as the best Super Middleweight of all time, Joe Calzaghe (42-0), will be up against Peter Manfredo Jr (26-3).

And, it was just recently announced that the young Canadian boxer, Lucian Bute (19-0) will be facing Sakio Bika (22-22-2) on June 15/07.

The top boxers at Super Middleweight are white guys!Edited by: JD1986

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Great news and exciting upcoming fights! I wish I could see Calzaghe fight.

Angelcynn

Guru
Colonel_Reb, get ready to see a boxing lesson from Calzaghe on Manfredo. I've been waiting ages for this! As for Lucien Bute, fighting Sakio Bika is a very bad option. Calzaghes last fight was against Bika and the guy got stopped a few times for headbutting! One of Bikas early headbutts cut open Calzaghes head and you could tell it hurt Calzaghe because he was more exhausted than usual. Made the fight extremly boring which is not Calzaghes style as he is very skillfull.

pt.guard2

Guru
Sugar Ray Leonard who worked with Manfredo on the Contender has claimed that Manfredo is going to pull an upset. I think Joe C. is too talented and too fast for Manfredo, but we will see.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I hope someone will do a round by round update for those of us who don't have HBO. I have only seen a couple of Calzaghe clips, thanks to my lack of "premium satellite television."

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Englishman, I share your concern about Lucian Bute fighting Sakio Bika, since the Cameroonian uses head butts to cut his opponents, as he did with Calzaghe. I hope that Lucian is aware it, and so may be able to avoid a serious cut. I have a similar concern for Kelly Pavlik, in his upcoming May 19 bout with Edison Miranda.Edited by: JD1986

aussie101

I had a question about Librado Andrade. I am a huge Kessler fan and am patiently awaiting his fight. I have been reading some different boxing forumslike East side Boxing etc and it seems that alot of people are picking Andrade to Knockout Kessler. Has anyone seen any of Andrade's fights? If so what is your prediction? This question is for anyone who has seen Andrade fight as I have not. I also know next to nothing about Andrade other than his record, his rankings, and a tad bit about his inside fighting style. Any input would be appreciated.
smiley32.gif

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Aussie101, from what I've seen of Andrade (2 fights on TV), he's a good but not a great fighter. He has some knockout power, decent speed, and he seems to have a good chin. But, it's very unlikely he'll KO Kessler, because Mikkel is much faster and has excellent technical skills, and he can take a punch if he needs to.

There are some regulars on Eastside Boxing who don't like White European boxers, they were even picking Ray Austin to knock out Wladimir Klitschko! I think the people picking Andrade to win are either Hispanic fans with wishful thinking, or people who have difficulty accepting how good the European boxers really are.

Kessler will win, the only question is: will be by KO or by unanimous decision?

Edited by: JD1986

aussie101

Thanks JD1986. We are sheltered from many of the good fights here in Australia. As an example I have HBO and was looking forward to watching the fight. Guess what? Our HBO is not televising it. It is almost a waste of money to have cable if you're a fight fan down here because our HBO, and Showtime hardly ever have the fghts televised like their counterparts in the states.

You are 100% correct about the negrophiles who post on Eastside boxing as well. You can tell a great deal of the posters there just despise the fact that the white man kicks ass in the ring. However, since I had never seen Andrade fight I really did not know how much was Bullsh*t and how much of it was the truth in regards to Andrade. By the way, they banned me from posting on east side boxing. It was not for a racial slur either. The topic was in regards to the heavyweight being in a pathetic state and I said something to the effect of "no it's not, people are just having a hard time coming to grips with the whiteman thoroughly dominating the division", then I said something like "if there were 5 or 6 top notch Black Americans mowing all challengers down they would be saying that there is an unbelievable amount of depth in the Heavyweight division. Banned, just like that. I could not tell you how many times I have read anti-white diatribes on that site from the same poster time after time without them being banned. That is why I don't go there alot anymore when I am on the net.

Farewell Mate, and thanks again for the info.
smiley4.gif

Hockaday

Guru
I haven't seen Kessler fight, so I don't know if he's the real deal or not. Andrade looks like a tough Mexican spoiler type fighter. In a few hours we'll see.

So Sugar thinks Manfredo's a big threat to Calzaghe? As an Englishman would say, down't make me lawf.

dirk41

spoiler alert...............

Kessler defeats Andrade!

Saturday, March 24 2007

By Thomas Jensen

WBA/WBC super middleweight champ Mikkel Kessler has retained his title via unanimous decision over Librado Andrade infront of almost 25,000 spectators in Copenhagen's Parken Arena, the national soccer stadium of Denmark. Scores were 120-108 on all cards.

Edited by: dirk41

speedster

Mentor
Well,Miguel Velasco is at it again.This supposed writer for eastside boxing predicted that Wlad would get put to sleep by Austin in the 8th two weeks ago.This week he dumped all over Kessler and wrote how Andrade would win by a 3rd round stoppage.Now in the comments section at that board he is calling the Kessler-Andrade decision the worst he's ever seen.I can't wait to see the tape-delay of this fight.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Speedster, I bet Miguel Velasco didn't even see the fight! Some people who really did see it said Kessler won every round, and completely outclassed Andrade. We'll see tonight on HBO.

JD074

Master
Oh boy! 12 rounds to nuthin' on all three cards, I can't wait to see that!

Kudos to Kessler!
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif

JD074

Master
The fight just wrapped up and man oh man! What a boxing clinic. As good as his offense was, his defense may have been even better. Great footwork, great movement, kept his hands up. I loved the way he kept slipping away from the lunging, sloppy Andrade. If defense is the difference between a good fighter and a great fighter, well, things are looking up for Kessler!And of course his offense was terrific as well. He displayed excellent hand speed, power, and accuracy with his punches. Andrade has a chin made out of granite, but you can't hold that against Kessler. He did absolutely everything that he needed to do tonight. It was a masterful performance.

speedster said:
This week he dumped all over Kessler and wrote how Andrade would win by a 3rd round stoppage.Now in the comments section at that board he is calling the Kessler-Andrade decision the worst he's ever seen.I can't wait to see the tape-delay of this fight.

smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
Please! Speedster, this guy is a total moron. Kessler totally dominated him. This was a Calzaghe/ Lacy-type fight. And if I'm biased, well, maybe he should look at the punch stats! They were as lop-sided as I've ever seen. Kessler landed 348 punches, Andrade landed 95! And the connect percentage was just as gawdy (over 40% versus about 15%, if my memory serves me.) [EDIT- Scratch that, 40% versus 10%!] No contest! Edited by: JD074

Hockaday

Guru
Hard to find a Mexican who can be objective about anything when the Raza is involved. The guy on Eastside is making a fool of himself with his idiot predictions.

Kessler wore his hands out on Andrade's face and head. Andrade did hang in and land here and there, but he lost almost every round. The weird thing is, he was completely unmarked at the end of the fight. No swelling, no cuts, he looked just as he did when he entered the ring, and he took a ton of clean hard shots.
In that respect Andrade is amazing.

Kessler is miles ahead of any other Danish fighter I've seen.

lumsdenpower

Mentor
I'm so happy that Lucian Bute got recognition:D:D He is my boy from MTL(rouman) but he talk frensh and he act like no one! He have the chin, the speed, the PURE power and the defensive. This guy will beat Kessler one day I bet on that!

speedster

Mentor
After this fight Kessler is p4p material.Like many of you I don't like seeing our guys go up against each other yet in recent history there have not been many highly anticipated fights like the potential Calzaghe-Kessler fight where both guys are white.I say let them go at it besides the Super-middleweights have been dominated by whites for awhile and there are more whites waiting in the wings.Mr.Oganov please make another apperance.

JD074

Master
Who else can they fight except each other? Calzaghe wants Taylor or Hopkins... good luck! Taylor is getting ready to fight a junior middleweight, and Hopkins is in his 40's and could hang 'em up at any time. And if Calzaghe does get Taylor and/or Hopkins, he may retire after that, so where does that leave Kessler?

JD074

Master
Here's an anti-Kessler diatribe in a Comments section at Eastsideboxing.com:

Ken
[Re: Kessler/ Calzaghe] Not anytime soon, it seems, so put a sock in it. After he beats Manfredo, he wants to fight Taylor and then Hopkins. Kessler isn't even in the picture, and I can't blame him really, because Kessler still doesn't have much of a name outside Denmark, even with the win, and he didn't exactly impress the U.S. audience with his inability to stop Andrade. He doesn't have knockout power and tends to run too much to be truly exciting. There's many other boxers that are much more exciting than Kessler, and it matters little that they're not undefeated with a record built on fluff. In fact, Andrade is one of them. He's much more exciting that Kessler, simply because he comes forward, making the fight, whereas Kessler runs and jabs, almost like Winky Wright. Boring!

Bart

Hall of Famer
JD074 said:
Here's an anti-Kessler diatribe in a Comments section at Eastsideboxing.com:

Ken
[ He doesn't have knockout power and tends to run too much to be truly exciting.

Muhammad Ali was not a knock out artist and he ran as much as anybody. Typical negative spin put on a white fighter.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Some eastsideboxing regulars seem like such poor sports when it comes to commenting on European boxers! Some have a false, racist belief that White men are naturally weaker athletes than Black men.

Mikkel Kessler has about a 74% KO ratio (29 KO's in 39 fights), so he certainly has knockout power. Andrade has a granite chin, but if the fight went on, after another round or two of punishment, I think he may have fallen. Kessler is in fact very exciting to watch, I enjoy seeing his combinations of punches, where he lands 3 or 4 in the blink of an eye. He doesn't run from an opponent the way Mayweather does, he just moves around rapidly and skillfully, with excellent footwork.

There's a better boxing site called boxingscene.com, that has about three times as much information as eastsideboxing.com! They have a forum where all kinds of opinions are expressed, but there's no constant hatred against White European boxers. They would ban people like ESB's "relentless" and "bananas" who start thread after thread with hateful tirades against White European boxers.
Edited by: JD1986

Maple Leaf

Mentor
These comments by the Eastsiders are neither truthfull nor enlightening and some are subliminaly racist. Kessler, for example, could be 70-0 with 5 belts and they still would rave on about "soft European competition." Many of the comments are actually funny when you consider the frustration behind the people that write them.

JD074

Master
JD1986 said:
Mikkel Kessler has about a 74% KO ratio (29 KO's in 39 fights), so he certainly has knockout power. Andrade has a granite chin, but if the fight went on, after another round or two of punishment, I think he may have fallen.

It will be interesting to see how much punishment Andrade's chin can withstand throughout the rest of his career. If he continues to be next to impossible to knockout, that would reflect positively on Kessler. The way he was whipping his head around, it's hard to imagine anyone thinking he doesn't have power (or that he wasn't exciting, for that matter.) But as we know, so many people are eternally pessimistic towards white athletes, no matter how well they perform.

There's a better boxing site called boxingscene.com, that has about three times as much information as eastsideboxing.com! They have a forum where all kinds of opinions are expressed, but there's no constant hatred against White European boxers.

Oddly enough, I was actually reading an article about an upcoming Vladimir Virchis fight when I came across that comment!
smiley36.gif
I don't really spend any time at the various boxing sites, I just do a lot of Google News searches to find out about future fights. I like boxingscene.com, too. Their short articles are very appealing.

BTW, here are the CompuBox stats for the fight, if anyone's interested. And from boxingscene.com, no less!
smiley2.gif

[url]http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/view.php?pg=compubox_kessl er_andrade_final[/url]