UFC 69

Bart

Hall of Famer
JD074 said:
And I have to wonder if upsets like this will negatively impact the UFC. If a champion can be beat by someone who's perceived as a second tier guy, what does that say about so-called "UFC champions?" Don't get me wrong, I still like GSP, and I still think he's extremely talented. And after seeing the fight on Youtube, I have to say I really enjoyed it, and I'm happy for Serra. But I think this downgrades the UFC champs to a certain degree. Compare this fight to Calzaghe/ Manfredo. Although it wasn't a very good fight, the boxing champ did exactly what he was supposed to do against a second tier guy.

It is more difficult to score a huge upset in boxing than MMA. Boxers have only to be concerned with an opponents right and left hand. In MMA the legs must also be accounted for and of course there are various wrestling moves and take downs to contend with. I think this is what happend in the Crocop - Randleman match. Cop was overly concerned with Kevin's take down abilities and got caught with a punch out of nowhere. It happens.The same thing with GSP.If he hadn't been rocked early, he probably would have won easily.

JD074

Master
White Shogun said:
So a champion who loses to someone who the public thinks is obscure or an also-ran may say more about the public than about the fighter himself.

Exactly. We all know that American sports (and especially the Caste System) is all about perception.

And Guest301, here's the footage of the Sanchez/ Koscheck weigh-in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbmRw-ymOnk

Needless to say, Diego is a total prick.

guest301

Hall of Famer
Thanks for the footage JD074...Diego proudly talks about his Christian faith,..what a chump hypocritical thing to do.

Triad

Mentor
Serra was considered by many a marginal fighter (5-4 UFC record) who only had a title shot due to a reality show. The "experts" also considered GSP second only to Fedor in most pound for pound rankings. So it was quite shocking. Now Serra is rated by MMA Weekly as the number one welterweight and Matt Hughes is expected to get the next title shot.

These upsets are great for the sport and the fans, IMO.

UFC Junkie said:
UFC 69, the first ever UFC event held in the state of Texas, concluded late Saturday night with a series of the most memorable upsets to ever land on a single UFC card.

No bigger underdog emerged successfully from the carnage than Matt Serra, who defeated 10-to-1 favorite Georges St. Pierre to become the UFC's new welterweight champion. The unimaginable victory ranks among the most shocking upsets in the 14-year history of the UFC.

Serra, an eight-year MMA veteran who earned his title shot by winning the welterweight division of The Ultimate Fighter 4, was supposed to face an invincible opponent â€â€￾ a newly minted champion who was considered a new breed of fighter. St. Pierre, who defeated former champ Matt Hughes back in November to win the title, had been lauded as perhaps the most complete and well-rounded fighter anywhere in the world. In fact, in the weeks leading up to last night's fight, more talk focused on St. Pierre's next title defense rather than the one with Serra.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Maybe the expectations for GSP were a little too high, huh?
smiley4.gif

This type of thing is too prevalent in MMA circles. A guy wins one fight and he is the Second Coming. That same guy loses and he was never as good as every one thought. There is too much emphasis placed on one fight, or even a couple of fights.

Compare the hype placed upon GSP for his wins over BJ Penn and Matt Hughes, compared to the criticism Matt Hughes receives even with a record of 40-5. I have had a number of discussion with other fans about this. My opinion on this is that GSP has a long way to go before he should be acclaimed The Best Fighter Eva. IMO it takes a long time, years even, wins against better opponents, against the odds, in consistent fashion, before one should use that kind of hyperbole about a fighter.

GSP was cognizant enough to tap, but unable to mount any kind of defense? He didn't attempt to cover up, block, roll to his side, shift body position... nothing. Until he learns how to handle such adversity he is far from being crowned The Best Fighter Eva. (And yes he was tapping, just as McCarthy was coming in to stop the fight. Watch the video.)

Triad

Mentor
GSP earned the expectations. He brought a 13-1 MMA record to the fight Saturday (only loss was a submission to Hughes in a fight he was dominating). His last five victories were against Hughes, Penn, Sherk, Trigg, and "Mayhem" Miller.

When you hear how great you are for months and you fight what is perceived as a weak opponent it can affect your preparation and performance. After the Hughes domination I don't think GSP thought the shorter Serra would try to stand with him. I assume he was thinking takedown defense and BJJ. Wrong.

That's what makes the sport so interesting. Tim Sylvia was thinking takedown defense and he gets rocked against Couture. So it's a physical and mental sport. Sometimes you guess right and sometimes you guess wrong and get hit with a high head kick.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
He may have earned the right to be expected to beat Serra, sure. But a 'new breed of fighter?' who was expected to reign for years to come? What did he yet do to deserve such accolades? A fighter who wants that claim to fame has to stay at the top for awhile, not just beat contenders en route to the title. I won't belabor the point anymore because now we're just going round and round. I think GSP is a great fighter and will be back; I expected him to win easily over Serra; but I did not and do not think he is the best P4P in the business, and I expect(ed) that Hughes would give him a run for the money in a rematch.

p.s Nog was -1300 against Sukodjou.