UFC 131 - Carwin vs. JDS

hawkeye

Guru
Overall I thought the card was one of the best ones ever. Weidman, Ring, Stout, Herman, and Cerrone all looked impressive. Much respect to Carwin for surviving, JDS is possible the best heavyweight out there. Herman was a guy I've been promoting for years, he really has only one loss because the Sok fight he was dominating when he got DQ for kneeing a downed fighter. Florian looks to skinny for 145, personally I think he should have stayed at 155.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
Liverlips said:
Sam Stout (white) has the KO of the year so far against Yves Edwards (black). Yves was out before he hit the floor with his legs twitching.

It was shown on ESPNs "Top Plays".. #4 I recall!
smiley32.gif

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Well, I was cheering for Carwin but I hope JDS destroys "brown power" Velasquez when they fight.

Howard

Guru
Nice KO by Stout, I hope Edwards is okay.

Easy win by JDS. I bet on him. I was surprised that the majority of the writers at Yahoo picked Carwin. Hopefully JDS crushes the mexican.

Poirier needs a couple of more fights. He is not ready for Aldo.

Omigawa was robbed big time.

Phil

Guru
The Japanese fighters, for the last 18 years, have been really skilled and overall classy individuals. I loved watching Sakuraba in his battles with the Gracie family. Hopefully Omigawa continues to get fights with the UFC.

Carwin's problem in the Lesnar fight was that he gassed himself out with the massive amount of punching in the first round. Carwin should have stopped punching and backed away, just like Dos Santos did when realized the ref wouldn't stop the fight with Carwin. Losing all of that muscle mass, in my opinion, was a mistake. Maybe cut down to 265 at most. His coaches just should have told Shane never to punch himself out like he did with Lesnar. Shane's massive upper body size was his strength.

Watching Shane say that his wife was the boss inone of thoseprefight shows(I think it was one theshort youtube Bud light videos)was pathetic. C'mon Shane. Your wife doesn't really want to hearthat you are submissive to her. Learn about hypergamy.

hawkeye

Guru
The problem with Japan has been that it has tired to combine MMA with the fake WWF style wrestling, they chose the path of freak show over real competition, that is the reason you are not seeing anymore young talent coming out of Japan. Omigawa, Minowa, and Sakaraba are all very talented, but they are also a lot older.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Some good fights on that card. JDS, the Cowboy & Stout looked solid. I hope JDS knocks "Mud Pride" into the next zip code. Carwin needs to firm up his striking mechanics.

Deacon

Guru
I agree with Phil. The only one thing Carwin has going for him are heavy hands that will knock you out at anytime. So, why is he eating steamed broccoli and salads? I saw the Camp Carwin vids and it was him eating like an African.

He showed up on weigh-ins looking flat and lethargic.

Fight came and he was slow as hell. Not a good showing for baldy.

Deacon

Guru
Carwin also found the fight difficult because he was facing someone who didn't stand in front of him with his hands down like an idiot.

After major back surgery and old age, I think Shane has a few fights left and that's it.