Johnson def Torres ud
Stan def Santiago ko 2nd round
Story def Alves UD
Browne def Struve KO
Mir def Nelson UD
Jackson def Hamill UD

hawkeye

Guru
Travis Browne had one of the craziest kos of Struve from a superman punch. Stann, Mir, and Boetsch looked very good.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
As did McDonald. Good night for our guys, though I really thought Hamill had a chance to spring the upset.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Hamill looked as if he took for granted he'd be able to randomly take down "Ramgayge"...his shots were telegraphed half-way across the cage. He looked as if he was just going thru the motions.

As for Nelson, he needs to either drop 25-30 lbs or totally drop down to LHW. His "fat guy" schtick has ran it's course, and after two back-to-back losses, he's risking getting shown the door out of the UFC (as (anti)White doesn't like Roy to begin with).

Good wins by Stann (over afro-Brazilian Santiago), Mir, Boetsch (vs. poly Grove), Browne & Story (vs. ******* Alves).

hawkeye

Guru
I have no clue why Nelson chose a British camp. Britian has no good haevyweights to train with and most have no take down defense. He should have trained with Eric Paulson, even though he had TUF Paulson had been training a slew of Heavyweights recently.

Howard

Guru
Struve gets KO'd in the first, nothing new there.

Tim Boetsch easily took down Grove, maybe a fight with the surging Brian Stann makes sense.

Hamill is a gatekeeper at best.

Roy Nelson makes we want to vomit. The UFC should force him to fight at 205 or cut him. The beer gut and mullet are disgraceful.

The only White fighter that impressed me was Stann. He looks for the finish, that is what I like. McDonald, who I am very high, gets a pass because he is 20.

Howard

Guru
Side note, I had no problem with the Johnson/Torres fight going to Johnson.

Story,in my opinion is being overhyped, nice win over Alves, but Fitch and GSP would easily beat him. Maybe even Kos or Ellemberger in a rematch in a fight from 2008 could beat him.

Mir can beat the Roy Nelson's of the UFC, but look at the results against Lesnar or Carwin.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Howard, good call on Story (who kind resembles Nate Diaz in the face). I think GSP would hand him his @$$, and Fitch would likely UD him.

In some fairness to Roy "Big Mullet" Nelson, he did have pneumonia. He has heavy hands, solid chin & good BJJ, so IF he'd just drop those 55+ lbs...I think he has the potential to do some damage at LHW.

Nelson's wife reports that he had pneumonia before UFC 130

Roy Nelson's performance against Frank Mir was nothing short of terrible. He looked out of breath throughout the second and third rounds, and was unable to generate offense for much of the bout. According to his wife, Nelson's problems were from a bout with pneumonia, not a lack of conditioning.

Via text messages with Cagewriter, Jessy Nelson said that her husband had walking pneumonia during the first two weeks of May, and that he spent Monday in a Las Vegas hospital. "He described the feeling like someone is taking a big scab off of his lungs," Nelson wrote.

That would certainly explain the wheezing that went on during the Mir match. It would be easy to blame his conditioning on his appearance, as Nelson flaunts his beer-bellied figure. He even walks out the Octagon to the "Weird" Al Yankovic song, "I'm Fat." UFC president Dana White said that he was unhappy with Nelson's performance and planned to meet with him about it.

But Nelson was just as full-figured in his bout with Junior dos Santos, which also went all three rounds. Though he tired near the end of that bout, it was nothing like the exhaustion Nelson showed in the Mir bout.

His other two bouts in the UFC were both first-round knockouts. Before that, his last three-round bout was a loss to Jeff Monson in March of 2009. His last decision win was nearly four years ago.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/Nelson-8217-s-wife-reports-that-he-had-pneumoni?urn=mma-wp2838Edited by: DixieDestroyer

Howard

Guru
Bouts to make after UFC 130:

Brian Stann vs. Tim Boetsch (185)

Frank Mir vs. Travis Browne (265)

Demetrious Johnson vs. Michael McDonald (135)

Rick Story vs. Rory McDonald (170)

Story wants Fitch, but let's see how you do against the Canadian protege Rory McDonald.

Browne versus Mir can be a de facto #1 contender fight.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer

Brian Stann vs. Tim Boetsch (185)

Why would they match a potential star in Stann with a journeyman? Stann should fight the winner of Maia-Munoz or Wandy if he gets by Leben. Boetsch should fight someone like Akiyama before getting a really big fight.

Two different levels (though I like Browne's potential). Mir will likely fight Lesnar or the winner of Schaub-Nog. Browne should fight Mitrione or the winner of Barry-Kongo.

Demetrious Johnson vs. Michael McDonald (135)

McDonald needs more seasoning though he would make it competitive. Johnson will be fed to Bowles.

Rick Story vs. Rory McDonald (170)

Good matchup.

Howard

Guru
To Liverlips: Michael McDonald is ready for Johnson and Bowles could take Johnson too.

Stann needs to beat a wrestler and build that confidence, Boetsch would be a good test. Besides the point is to keep the former Marine winning. Winning is all that matters in the UFC and a fight against Munoz or Maia is a dangerous fight for Stann.

Would'nt Mir getting KO'd by Browne be a pleasant sight?

hawkeye

Guru
Stan seems to want to fight Wand. I like Boetsch but he did fight a guy in Grove who has terrible TDD because he like fighting off his back. Boetsch didn't do well against MattHamillor Phil Davis. Browne vs Meathead would be a good one. Johnson most likely will get the shot at the Cruz/Faber winner.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
I pulled for Mir against caste-hyped "Queen" Kongo, but otherwise enjoyed seeing d0uchebag Mir getting his @ss whooped by Lesnar & Carwin.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
I hate to be a downer, but I really think McDonald needs more experience. As noted, I'd give him a chance to beat Johnson but think Johnson would pull out a lay & pray decision. Besides, he is only 20 so I'd like for him to spend the next year or so gathering wins and experience.

As for Stann, I truly feel he would beat Munoz or Maia (though Maia is one of my favorites). The drop to 185, training MMA full-time and the addition of Greg Jackson as a coach have paid huge dividends. Yes, wrestlers gave him problems in the past but nobody has taken him down at 185 yet. Given Sonnen's issues, Stann may be the guy to defeat A. Silva.

I don't mind Mir too much. Though I think his days as a top 3-5 heavyweight in the world have come to an end.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
What really disappointed me was the lack of passion in Hamill. Rampage is there to be taken. He was always overrated and is now a one-dimensional banger. Matt had very lackluster takedown attempts and the whole fight seemed like a sparring session.

There is talk of Griffin-Rampage II if Forrest beats Rua again. I just hope Forrest kicks his ass again as DWFs still like to debate that decision.

But Rampage may also be given a fight with Jones. In which, case it will be a fellow bro who exposes Rampage.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
Howard said:

Browne versus Mir can be a de facto #1 contender fight.

Mir vs. Browne for the "de facto #1 contender?"Â￾ For what? Certainly not the UFC Heavyweight Championship.

A few months ago, when Travis Browne fought Cheick Kongo in a sleep-inducing bout, you vehemently insisted that the fight should have resulted in a UD win for Kongo (instead of being rightly scored as a draw). Neither fighter did much of anything (typical of almost every UFC bout), but Browne scored the only takedown, and Kongo was docked a point for holding Browne's shorts.

So why, in your (supposedly) "expert"Â￾ opinion, should Browne fight Mir for a chance at Velasquez? Because he KO'ed Struve? You know, that guy who was KO'ed by Roy Nelson in a matter of seconds. According to you, Browne wasn't even worthy of a lowly "draw" against Kongo, remember?

As much as I dislike Frank Mir, there really isn't any other heavyweight who should fight the winner of the upcoming "Carwin vs. Dos Santos"Â￾ bout more than him. Unlike Browne, Mir's fought every single "big name"Â￾ UFC heavyweight (and Lesnar twice). Edited by: Thrashen

Howard

Guru
Browne is getting better. I think he would take Kongo if they fought again. I might have underestimated Browne. Fighting Mir would be a good gauge as to where Browne and Mir stand in the heavyweight division. The winner could fight the winner of Velasquez vs. Dos Santos/Carwin. Lesnar is out of the picture now with his illness and if he comes back I don't expect he will be as dominant as he once was. So I guess as things play out my opinions change, I am pretty good at predicting MMA but even I miss some things.

hawkeye

Guru
I should point somethig out to some of the guys on this site that don't train in mma though. MMA is a lot more physically demanding than you would suspect. When I was traing to be a prison guard we had to take self defense classes, and the instructor pointed out that an average human being can only fight for one minute before fatigue sets in. When I was at Roufus gym, we had all kind of football players pro and college that would get crushed by much smaller men. Viking defensive end Jared Allen admitted he got destroyed by his trainer Alex Karalexis, James Toney koed Holyfield and couldn't go 3 minutes with Couture, and bodybuilder Nathan James has never won an mma or kickboxing match.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Hawkeye, very good points on the cardio required for MMA. Having trained BJJ & MTKB, I have boatloads of respect for these fellas. Watching cardio-machines like Guida & Sherk is just amazing.

Howard

Guru
I think Edgar has the best cardio. With his style of fighting he could probably fight 20 rounds. Dominick Cruz has good cardio too as does GSP

As far as UFC 130 goes, it was just announced that Rick Story who defeated Thiago Alves at the aforementioned UFC will fill in for an injured Anthony Johnson and take on Nate Marquardt in June at a "Ultimate Fight Night" show on Spike.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Damn - I was looking forward to seeing Nate hammer Johnson.

I train BJJ and the most tired I get is when we do takedown training. Rolling (sparring) can be exhausting but I can usually manage to get a blow or two when in the guard. Not so with takedown training.