TUF Season 10 - Heavyweights

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Tonight was episode 1 of UFC's "The Ultimate Fighter" season 10, the Heavyweights (aka "Rampage vs. YOshad"). Evans looks to have the better trainers with Greg Jackson & wrestling ace Mike Van Arsdale. The roster is as such...

Coaches
Team Rashad
Rashad Evans
Greg Jackson
Trevor Wittman

Team Rampage
Quinton "Rampage" Jackson
Tom Blackledge
Tiki Ghosn

Fighters
Team Rashad
Jon Madsen (wrestler who trains with Matt Hughes HIT squad)
James McSweeney (muay thai fighter, trains with Greg Jackson's camp)
Brendan Schaub
Matt Mitrione
Roy Nelson (former IFL HW Champ)
Darrill Schoonover (10-0)
Mike Wessel (6-1, lost to Antoni Hardonk at UFC 92)
Justin Wren (Wrestler, 2 time state champ...Greco Roman stylist...6-1)

Team Rampage
Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson (supposed "King of the Streets"....soon to be exposed
smiley2.gif

Zak Jensen (7-3)
Marcus Jones (was 1st round pick in 96 NFL draft (out of UNC)...6'6 265)
Scott Junk (6-2, lost to Christian Wellisch at UFC 76 via heel hook)
Demico Rogers ("Afflete" is 4-0 as an amatuer).
Wes Shivers
Wes Sims (6'10...trains with Mark Coleman's HammerHouse. 22-12-1-2 (NC) record. Notorious for being DQ'd for stomping Frank Mir's face at UFC 43 & getting KO'd by Mir at UFC 46).
Abe Wagner (6-4, 255...Mechanical Engineering degree & Financial Director for large firm).

Episode 1: Size Does Matter
- The episode begins with "affletes" Rashad Evans and Quinton Jackson talking smack. Their verbal fight continues as this season's competitors begin to walk into the UFC training center.

- Only 15 fighters are lined up. Dana White then introduces Kimbo Slice. White admits he has talked badly about Slice, but is willing to give him a chance to prove himself. ***Note, ol' "Bimbo looked intimidated walking in.

- Jackson says from the start that he wants Slice on his team. Evans says he can have him, that there are better fighters to choose from.
The fighters divide up and train with separately with Evans and Jackson for evaluations. ***Note,supposed NFL stud "afflete" Jones is gassed so bad during drills, Rampage says Jones looks as if he's about to puke up/out his heart!
smiley36.gif

- White flips a coin. The winner of the coin toss chooses to either pick the first fighter or decide the first match up. The winning fighter's team will keep control of the fight match ups.
- Evans wins the coin toss and decides to pick the first fighter. The teams are chosen.
- Quinton Jackson announces the first fight match up: Jon Madsen vs Abe Wagner
- Dana White announces matches will consist of two five-minute rounds. If, at the end of the second round, the judges score the match a draw, the match will go to a third sudden victory round.

- Towards the end of the second round, Quinton Jackson walks away from the octagon as Abe Wagner is repeatedly taken down by Jon Madsen.
Jon Madsen defeats Abe Wagner unanimous decision after two rounds.
Abe Wagner bleeds uncontrollably during the two round fight.

***Final note - Alotta the fighters were none too happy to see ol' "Bimbo Lice". Not much "drama" other than TNB smack talk between YOshad & Rampage.

Edited by: DixieDestroyer

hawkeye

Guru
I'm rooting for Rashad's team. They are all white except Darrill (dad white/mom hispanic). thefour that impress me the most are Roy Nelson, Darrill Schoonover only 21 looks great, Brendan Schaub just 22 great athlete, and Justin Wren just 21. Jon Madsen is a great wrestler, but needs to improve his strikeing. Madsen did defeat lesnar in high school. As for Jackson's team the only one I like is Zak Jensen.
I think Jackson's team is at a severe disadvantage when it comes to coaching as well. Rashad's team has Greg Jackson possible the greatest coach ever. Rampage's team has Rampage acting like a clown. Don't be surprised if it is a one sided competition.

foobar75

Master
What was really nice was the reaction of a couple of white fighters when Kimbo walked in. The two sort of looked at each other, and then:

Fighter 1: "F*$%k that guy!"
Fighter 2: "Yeah, F*&$k him!"

Priceless! This is the kind of fearless, aggressive behavior that many white people lack these days, especially when dealing with black folks in many different aspects of life.

I'm still very, very angry at that white kid for not fighting back in that bus attack.

OK back to UFC now.
smiley1.gif

jcolec02

Mentor
yeah this episode gave me alot more respect for rashad evans, I didnt know he was as well spoken as he appeared to be, and he seemed to prefer the white fighters....Quinton Jackson, well...
smiley11.gif
Edited by: jcolec02

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Have to agree with you jcolec02. Evan's team is definitely the team to root for. Seems he has the superior fighters and it is clear he has the superior attitude over Rampage.

Rampage clearly has some mental issues. Did you guys see him rip apart that door piece by piece in some upcoming episode?

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
That was an awful wound that Wagner suffered!

I think it was reprehensible that they put him back in for the 2nd round. With that gaping wound, he could have gotten a deadly infection. If they ended the fight after the 1st round and flushed-out the wound, I would have more respect for the TUF production/competition.

Not only that, but Jon Madsen and Abe Wagner are both 29 (and there are other older dudes there too). I would have thought that the show would have been about younger prospects/MMA fighters? I think I understand why I can't really "get into" MMA and why many other's can't either. To me, I think some of these MMA folks are taking things for granted. I don't think people will lap-up anything packaged under the umbrella of MMA.

As of now, I think the show is all about the promotion of Evans and Jackson, and nothing else will come from the show.

guest301

Hall of Famer
foobar75 said:
What was really nice was the reaction of a couple of white fighters when Kimbo walked in. The two sort of looked at each other, and then:

Fighter 1: "F*$%k that guy!"
Fighter 2: "Yeah, F*&$k him!"

Priceless! This is the kind of fearless, aggressive behavior that many white people lack these days, especially when dealing with black folks in many different aspects of life.

I'm still very, very angry at that white kid for not fighting back in that bus attack.

OK back to UFC now.
smiley1.gif

Yes, I liked that particular scene as well. Kimbo seems to come off as a fairly likeable and humble guy(so far) for all the undeserved hype the man gets. He didn't look so big and scary standing next to the many heavyweight giants on TUF 10 this year. He knows he has alot to learn and it was stupid for Rampage to pick Kimbo first. Edited by: guest301

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
"Bimbo Lice" might not be a total a-hole, but he's a thug who receives a slew of (undue) caste hype...so I'm hoping to see him defeated in the 1st fight. However, if he fights someone with a glass jaw, who tries to stand or can't take Bimbo down...Lice might score a win or 2.

DL, big Abe was bleeding out pretty nicely, so I wasn't suprised when I saw that nasty wound. I'm suprised the ringside Doctor didn't call it, unless it wasn't opened up that badly between rounds. Abe's a tough guy...most (average) dudes would pysch-out if they saw a fraction of that much blood.

JCole02, agreed on YOshad. While he does pull the jive TNB in the ring, he's certainly a better rounded fighter (and more intelligent) than Rampage (the functional retard). I'll be pulling for the White athletes in any caste matchups. Other than that...I'm waiting to hear/see more of the fighters (to decide who to pull for). I am favoring Roy Nelson (to win) at this point.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Deadlift said:
That was an awful wound that Wagner suffered!

I think it was reprehensible that they put him back in for the 2nd round. With that gaping wound, he could have gotten a deadly infection. If they ended the fight after the 1st round and flushed-out the wound, I would have more respect for the TUF production/competition.

Not only that, but Jon Madsen and Abe Wagner are both 29 (and there are other older dudes there too). I would have thought that the show would have been about younger prospects/MMA fighters? I think I understand why I can't really "get into" MMA and why many other's can't either. To me, I think some of these MMA folks are taking things for granted. I don't think people will lap-up anything packaged under the umbrella of MMA.

As of now, I think the show is all about the promotion of Evans and Jackson, and nothing else will come from the show.

Deadlift look at Hawkeyes post he listed several young exciting prospects to watch for on the show. Rashad Evans has earned my respect so far and went for the more well rounded and better trained(skill wise and physically)fighters. I think his team will bulldoze Rampage's

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I feel sorry for the fighters on Rampage's team. Did you hear his instructions to Abe during the fight? GET UP! GET UP! GET UP! His advice between rounds was the same - Don't let him take you down. He's doing the same thing over and over. Don't let him.

Thanks, Coach! You're the best!

Did you see Rampage asking Roy Nelson his name? Did he seriously not know who Big Country is or was he just messing with him?

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Rashad's team is 2-0, thanks to Rampage's idiotic picks. Although to be fair tonight's fight was horrible. Both guys gassed, neither showed any real technique at all outside of leg kicks. Anyway, the best news of the evening - Rashad won control of the matchups so next week we get Kimbo v Roy 'Big Country' Nelson!!

jcolec02

Mentor
White Shogun said:
Rashad's team is 2-0, thanks to Rampage's idiotic picks. Although to be fair tonight's fight was horrible. Both guys gassed, neither showed any real technique at all outside of leg kicks. Anyway, the best news of the evening - Rashad won control of the matchups so next week we get Kimbo v Roy 'Big Country' Nelson!!
NIIIICE!!!!
smiley1.gif

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Shivers gassed hard, but took McSweeny down at will. Big Wes S. needs to maybe drop to 250-255 to help that cardio, and McSweeny could fight at 205. I was hoping my fellow Southern Hoss would win by TKO/GnP. Let's hope Big Country further exposes "Bimbo Lice" & doesn't get caught with a lucky punch (like AA vs. Rogers
smiley6.gif
).

Episode 2: "All About Survival"

- Roy Nelson has a discussion with Rashad Evans and the Team Rashad coaches about his attitude and whether Nelson really wants to train with the team.
- Quinton Jackson announces the next match up: James McSweeney vs Wes Shivers
Team Rashad goes past their allotted training time into Team Rampage's training time. Jackson approaches Evans and jokingly asks the team to leave.
-During the match, James McSweeney delivers repeated leg kicks to Wes Shivers, who relies mainly on two punch combinations.
- A groin kick by Shivers stops the fight briefly.
- At one point McSweeney is able to get Shivers into a guillotine, but is unable to choke him out.
- Towards the middle of the second round, both McSweeney and Shivers are noticeably exhausted and taking "breathers" during their fight: dropping their guard, putting their hands on their knees, etc.
- After two rounds James McSweeney defeats Wes Shivers by majority decision.
- Rashad Evans announces the next match up: Roy Nelson vs Kimbo Slice.
Evans jokingly refers to Slice as, "the big black buck with the greasy beard."
smiley36.gif

Cheaters Alert::: I have read some information online. I can't follow tuf 10 live in Australia. However I track around on the net to see what's going on. I came across a article on Wikipedia that may have revealed the finals. Do not read further if you do not want to see something. I am posting this to ask the members here if their is any validity to the following:::

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ultimate_Fighter:_Heavyweights_Finale

According to Wikipedia, they have Kimbo Slice against a fighter to be announced for the heavyweight 10 finale. Is there any truth to this. Does anymone know differently. If this is the case. I am of the opinion that there may have been some fight fixing along the way. Considering Kimbo's name, in would make A HELL OF ALOT OF ECONOMIC SENSE TO HAVE HIM IN THE FINALE.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Aussie - I have read that too but would not put to much stock into it. I am not giving anything away by saying that Kimbo Slice is slated to be on the card at the UFC event in December (at least according to wiki). That doesn't mean he won TUF or is in the finals. Remember, Dana White could have planted that on wiki to drum up interest in TUF.

I did hear rumors that Slice wins a very controversial split decision over Roy Nelson next episode. But that is an Internet rumor so take it for what it is worth. Guess we'll know next week!

But guys, if Kimbo Slice makes the finals I will be utterly stunned. The guy simply cannot fight (other than back alley fights against smaller guys) and is actually on the small side compared to some of the heavyweights on TUF.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
There are rumors flying everywhere, that Kimbo KO's Roy in the first; that Roy submits Kimbo in the first, etc. There are clips floating around from the previews that show Kimbo landing a straight right to Roy's head, with Roy's arms spread wide and him leaning back.

To be honest I don't know what to think. Part of me believes that Spike / UFC is promoting those clips to get people to tune in, believing Kimbo wins by KO, but Roy actually wins the fight. What would be the point of showing clips of Kimbo losing? That would draw less viewers than Kimbo appearing to land a KO shot.

Another part of me, the pessimist, expects Kimbo to win just because that's the way the world is rolling right now. Combining this with the rumors that he is in the TUF finale, well there you go. I find it very hard to believe Kimbo can actually beat Roy Nelson, but who knows really?

Kimbo still seems to be trying to make up his character or persona as he goes along. His 'I'm a fighter' speech during the interviews just seems fake to me, like the guy doesn't really believe it himself but he has to live up to this image that he and / or his life has created for him.

Personally, I'd like to find a leaked copy of the fight or a real, 'sure thing' spoiler, because I don't want to wait til next Wednesday to find out what happens.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Shogun - Nelson would appear to have the best resume of all the TUF fighters as he was IFL champ a few years ago. Slice might be the worst (though the way Shivers and McSweeney both gassed I'd say they are pretty bad as well).

Logic says Nelson hammers Slice but we know the "judges" will give a close fight to Slice to keep those ratings up.

But, man, Kimbo lost in 14 second to Seth Petruzelli - a light heavyweight who was about to retire! He was on his way to losing to James Thompson who is big but a total stiff. Slice has zero ground game, little stamina and does not even have a size advantage at heavyweight.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
I'm sure they'll put "Bimbo Lice" on the TUF Finale (even if he losses against Roy). They want to milk him before he's totally exposed. I'm suprised Dana didn't tell YOshad & Rampage not to pick Bimbo until later in the show. BTW, Roy's been KO'd by AA who has better technique (all-around better fighter) than Bimbo, but Bimbo might have a tad more power (possibly). Roy's other 3 losses have been by decision (including 1 to ADCC HW champ Jeff Monson & fellow IFL HW stud Ben Rothwell). I really hope Roy beats Lice, but even if Bimbo lucks up & wins, there's NO way that mug gets to the final. Even though Rampage's coaches said Bimbo was "like a sponge" on learning the ground game, he's still way behind a few of those guys. Jon Madsen (for one) would probably TKO/G&P Lice. I am sure the 6'10 Wes Sims would also take out Bimbo.

P.S. - Roy really needs to cut another 20-25 lbs. I think that'd help his quickness & cardio.
Edited by: DixieDestroyer

Blue Devils

Mentor
I heard a rumor that some big 6'11" guy knocks Kimbo out. I'm not sure if it's true but if it is, I'm assuming that it's Wes Sims who Dixie mentioned.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Wes is a vicious dude...he trains with the "godfather of G&P" Mark Coleman at Hammerhouse & has solid ground game. He was DQ'd against Frank Mir (the 1st time) for stomping Frank's head. Sims had Mir rocked pretty good before getting caught (in their 2nd fight). He's 22-12-1 & a bit streaky, but has 3 wins in a row (via KO & 2 subs).

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I doubt Wes Sims knocks out Kimbo unless he beats Roy Nelson. :p

As to why they'd have this fight so soon, Nelson said in an interview he was approached by the producers before the show started and asked who he wanted to fight. He suggested some guy and they suggested Kimbo. Nelson said that he wanted easy fights to the finale, which makes sense, and he sees Kimbo as one of the most dangerous guys on the show. But the producers said, well, we want you to fight Kimbo.

The reason? If Kimbo beats Roy Nelson, he gains instant credibility and the UFC can start the Kimbo hype machine rolling. If he loses to Nelson, there is no shame in it as Nelson is the best, most experienced fighter on the show and the UFC can still start the hype machine rolling.

FYI, there are people around the net who posted back in July during the taping of the show that Roy gets Kimbo in a crucifix and pounds on him til the ref stops it.

Pollyanna

Guru
"FYI, there are people around the net who posted back in July during the
taping of the show that Roy gets Kimbo in a crucifix and pounds on him
til the ref stops it."

Oh please, I hope this is correct.

guest301

Hall of Famer
There was a story on Yahoo yesterday that Rampage has quit the UFC. It was due to a disagreement with Dana White over delaying the Rashad fight at the end of the year due to Rampage being signed to play the part of Mr. T in the A-team movie remake of the popular TV series.

Strasser

FYI, there are people around the net who posted back in July during the
taping of the show that Roy gets Kimbo in a crucifix and pounds on him
til the ref stops it.

I should hope so. Nelson is legitimate. Slice should be nowhere near MMA. Sadly, the UFC will find a way to market that ape one way or another, seeing as he remains popular, God knows why.

Yeah, I read the Rampage blog. I wish he would hang 'em up for good. But I suspect he'll back after the A-Team tanks.