Toby Gerhart

dwid

Hall of Famer
Thats good that he was voted 3rd best RB by America. I was starting to lose faith with all the hate mail on youtube Ive been receiving because of saying he was a top 3 rb prospect. They don't even have real arguments, they just repeat that "I could list lots of runningbacks better than him" and never give any reasons why. Im glad some people haven't forgotten about him just because the "experts" aren't talking about him.

Toby Gerhart is a much better prospect than Ryan Mathews who is getting all the hype, their write ups pretty much read the same thing, except Toby played in a tougher conference and put up better numbers, Mathews has a slight edge in ypc, but Im sure Toby would have higher ypc if he had played the same competition. If Gerhart had put up the same numbers in a weaker conference no one would even be talking about him.

Best has Bush written all over him, except hes smaller than Bush and has been more prone to injury. Bush isn't a bad player, just not worthy of where he was picked in the draft, maybe a 4th round back. Spiller also reminds me of Bush but seems to have higher "upside" because of being an all purpose threat. I know everyone is looking for a Chris Johnson clone and these guys have the "potential" to be like him, but I doubt it. Spiller was shut down by South Carolina.

Mel Kiper and McShay are doing their best to try and brainwash fans, along with ESPN. They are trying to make dwfs forget about the dominant season Toby Gerhart had. This "espn draftlab runningbacks" thing keeps coming on tv with who their top 5 runningback prospects are, and Gerhart is nowhere to be found.

Its nice that their poll shows that most have not forgotten how good he is. Its bad enough we have guys like them putting Toby down but then we have douchebags like the administrator on draftcountdown.com doing "analysis" on Toby Gerhart's running, saying he can't "cut sharply". Even though some poster proved him wrong on everything he pointed out, dwfs are still taking him seriously. His second bashing was of Tim Tebow, funny how this scrawny wigger only picks White players to "dissect". He didn't even look at real game film, he just copied my highlight video and talked over it, yeah real expert analysis. I wonder who he will bash next, I bet a thousand bucks that its another White prospect.

Its kind of sad that Toby Gerhart has the ability to "rise". Its like they are expecting him to run poorly. He should already be at the top. Edited by: dwid

green fire317

Banned
it says in that CBS sports article that Riley Cooper was lazy and did not have a lot of heart at the senior bowl. what a bunch of bs.

TwentyTwo

Master
Agreed!!

After they talked about the Top 5 QB's yesterday.... caught a quick glimpse of BOTHKiper & McShay's Top 5 RB List on a preview...and Gerhart was nowhere to be found...so I simply refused to watch it when it came on today...What a JOKE! It does help that America voted Gerhart in 3rd....

Maybe more people will finally wake-up if Gerhart gets messed over too bad...this could be the cross-roads....the straw that breaks the camel's back....CF website could be info central to make more zombies aware of this cr**p...

I grew up in an era in the late 80's-90's where the lack of black QB's where a problem...where only Moon & Cunningham were the only 2starters in the NFL...but the grumbling & complaining continued to get louder & louder til things opened up into a Rooney Rule type ofquota-back system in late 90's...I had a friend(typical white fan) talk about the number of starting black QB's at 8 or so in the early 2000's....afraid the QB position will soon be dominated; I ALWAYS disagreed!....it still has not happened...I think even Kiper & McShay know this too....NIETHER had a black QB in their Top 5 in this 2010 Draft...

So I guess since no black QB'S are on the list...whitey can't be included in a RB list?? Just as Gerhart had to pass on a USC scholly out of HSbecause ole Petey Carroll told him he was a Fullback or LBer...he had t say "no"..."I'm going to Stanford"....this is his next obstacle to bust the stereotype and prove himself all over again...it stinks! But it can happen under the right system/coach...I think the Texans could be the best fit.

But don't let any of us complain about the lack of white RB's...we are labeled racistby some?? The SI Article's about Romain & Gerhart stereotype's may hopefully be the begining of something positive??Edited by: TwentyTwo

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
The pro-caste lackeys at Yahoo Sports ranked Toby #5. At least he's in the Top 5, BUT should be #1 or 2!
smiley21.gif

Yahoo Sports Caste Lackeys Rank Toby #5 RB

Edited by: DixieDestroyer

chris371

Mentor
Isnt it better to play for a smaller name school like stanford, because you can then say in your resume that you played against "elite" schools like USC?
Whereas if he played for USC he would not have played against such "elite" competition....
NO that would be too much thinking for a NFL draft "expert".

Better to just say: Big school + black = super prospect

JReb1

Mentor
green fire317 said:
it says in that CBS sports article that Riley Cooper was lazy and did not have a lot of heart at the senior bowl. what a bunch of bs.

From what I heard Cooper was solid at the SB. Riley is probably faster and more athletic than every WR that played in the SB, he also was Tebow's roommate through college so you know he has a good work ethic. I know Tebow pushed him.

White Power

Mentor
You heard it hear 1st Scott the biggot Wright now has Toby listed as the 6th best RUNNING BACK in the draft. I guess Scott has realized no one else see's Toby as a full back except his sorry site. I know that toby will be drafted high probably by the Chargers. This is my prediction and I'm sticking to it.

StarWars

Mentor
If the Pats, Chargers, or Texans draft him I will be so happy. It will be just like the luck we struck with Austen Collie.

TwentyTwo

Master
Those are some nice teams for Gerhart to go to...I'm leaning towards Texans...Packers may not be a bad option either?? Interesting if he went to Chargers and he & Hester interchanged at RB...

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
WP, Gerhart is actually ranked 5th now at HB by Draftcountdown. I don't know; maybe Wright's excuse for originally ranking Gerhart as a FB is that he can only see so many college football games and hadn't watched dwid's 2009 highlight yet...He must be tooting some party line excuse on his message board to keep from looking like an idiot right now- after he realized that no one else ranked Toby a FB lol.

Right now the top 4 HBs without a doubt in my mind are Gerhart, Spiller, Best and Dwyer. Any order of the top four is a scout's preference and at least a reasonable analysis. Here's some minor comments on Gerhart, with quick comments on the other top 5 backs. I also will give a quick comment on Dixon who is in my top 10 and Sharp.

Scouting Reports:
Toby Gerhart ran for 5.5 YPC this year, but if you look at his amazing performances late in the season against Oregon, USC, Notre Dame and Cal- his YPC was more towards 7 YPC. Stanford's offense was clicking late in the year with Luck at QB and Gerhart was a freak at moving the chains and finding the end zone.

Toby makes a quick decisive first cut and attacks the hole with good burst. He has an above average ability to make LBs and Safeties miss in tight space for a full sized power back as well. Gerhart has some of the best eyes for making the right cut/ read I've ever seen to maximize his yardage and plays with a fiery passion and will just bowl the defender over when their is no hole there. Gerhart played his best at the end of the season when it mattered most and even played pretty well with no help from backup QB Pritchard in the bowl game. If not for Harbaugh's poor decisions in two of the losses, Stanford would have probably made the Rose Bowl.

Jahvid Best ran for 8.1 YPC last year and 6.1 YPC this year and is an amazing big play threat, but isn't as consistent at constantly making positive gains as Gerhart. Best also might not be able to handle 20+ carries every week in the NFL like Gerhart can- and got hurt this year getting his lighter frame knocked silly flipping into the endzone. Best has phenomenal X-Z (swivel agility) and also has a good burst to hit a hole quickly. He lacks elite power and is a true scatback that can make something out of nothing at times. He can really pull away from defenders when in the second level with good top end speed for an NFL HB. He's a very capable receiver as well.

C.J Spiller is similar to Best in a lot of ways; maybe not quite as good a runner, but even better as an all purpose threat. Spiller is one of the greatest all time FBS receiving backs and returners. Spiller has been in the mid 5.x YPC most of his career, but ran for a real eye brow raising 7.3 YPC as a freshman.

Johnathan Dwyer has a lot of similar qualities to Gerhart, but isn't quite as powerful (Toby has more of a nose for the end zone and plays with more heart than almost any prospect I've ever seen and his vision running the ball is second to none this draft). I'd say Dwyer has a little more top end speed, but his agility and burst are very similar to Toby. I'd put Dwyer's agility a little more tilted to the X-Z range than Toby, but his X-Y power back agility isn't quite as good. Dwyer did not impress me much in the Orange Bowl, but I admit GT's QB played awful and his stats were great on the season.

Ryan Matthews, is not as good as Gerhart. He has stuggled with injuries even more than Toby and did his dominating against weaker competition. He's a bit faster than Toby, and like Toby and Dwyer runs with a blend of X-Y and X-Z agility, but don't count out any of these guys ability to make guys miss in space (X-Z agility). Matthews is also not anywhere near as powerful as Gerhart, but probably shifts his profile a bit better in tight space due to his smaller size.

Anthony Dixon is a poor man's Gerhart!

Jake Sharp could very well be a top 10 RB- depending on how he works out at his Pro Day. A real sham that he won't be at the combine. A mid 4.3 at his Pro Day equates to around a 4.4 flat at the combine and I think that's what Sharp will run. Sharp will also run a superior shuttle and do well in the 3-cone and should be above average in the broad jump for a scat back as well. You might call Sharp a poor man's Jahvid Best as a RB, but he is a little stronger than Best! Sharp has almost as much ability to elude as Best, but his instincts aren't as good. He really showed promise at the end of his junior year, but let down this year due to injury. He has loads of upside! Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
At some point I'm going to post a top 10 WR and RB list (includes all ethnicities). I will also post a list of any other whites at these positions that should get drafted or get a UFA contract without the caste system ranked! Unfortunately guys like Nile Knapp fall off the face of the earth every yr., so even my list will look a little too dark. Nile Knapp is so good he might make my top 10 list even though he plays in NAIA in 4 years.

dwid

Hall of Famer
I am pretty sure Wright has seen the highlight video being that the administrator of draftountdown.com used it a month or two ago to do his "controversial prospects" vlog on youtube which is also promoted within the site. It was all about how Toby Gerhart couldn't make "sharp cuts" He was proved wrong by a poster on every single one of his points.

Funny thing happened today, apparently there must be plenty of fans waking up because quite a few people seem to realize that Toby Gerhart is a great prospect. On the Saints forum I attend someone mentioned that the Sains should draft Anthony Dixon in the 2nd round and plenty posters said they would rather have Gerhart. Only a few posters disagreed and said "Dixon played in the SEC against real competition" in which I made a post that the average run defenses both backs faced were similar and that Hardesty from Tenn who ran for 1300+ yards against mostly SEC defenses only averaged 3.4 ypc against UCLA, a bottom of the pac 10 team, and Gerhart rushed for more yards against Washington than the entire stable of LSU backs, when Charles Scott was healthy. Then someone mentioned that running for 1000+ yards in the SEC didnt seem to matter when it was Jacob Hester (plenty of posters wanted Hester as a 1-2 punch with Reggie Bush and were bashed as being LSU homers) and the thread was closed, even though no specific mention of race was mentioned.

Anthony Dixon is a very poor man's version of Gerhart. Gerhart looks to be more fluid and has more speed/more descisive in his cuts. Dixon actually reminds me Tebow running, but has slightly more burst/agility.

[TUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXyTCJ2yTP8[/TUBE]

compared to Dixon

[TUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R07yQOIMCUM[/TUBE]
everybody wants to talk about how great SEC rush defenses are, pretty much every back had a career day against Kentucky, Hardesty had 180, I think some guy from South Carolina had 150 but didnt crack 1000 for the season. Tebow had 120.

Edited by: dwid

dwid

Hall of Famer
As for Sharp, I would say his instincts improved gradually as his junior season went on, and looked pretty good at the beginning of the 09 season. He still had some stuff to work on but Id say he is like a bigger version of Dexter McCluster being a threat receiving and running. He had 1100+ yards from scrimmage his junior year and 13 tds (starting just 8 games). The thing that seperates Sharp though is that he is pretty powerful for a speedy scatback. So the fact that he has so much potential as a receiver/runner and has 4.3 speed combined with power should put him in the top 10 rb list. I hope he at least gets drafted, but I don't know what the chances are of seing 2 White runningbacks get drafted the same year

[TUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWdUHKL0HlQ[/TUBE]

compared to McCluster who is 5'6 165 pounds (rated as a 4th round runningback)

[TUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp3RL2s5BV0[/TUBE]
I would have put his highlight vid up too as comparison but it uses all kinds of weird angles and you can't really tell what McCluster is doing. The Tenn game is the best game of his career I believe so I think its a good comparison.

Too bad I don't have the full copy of KU vs KState in 08 where Sharp had 257 yards from scrimmage and 4 tds, the performance was much more impressive than McCluster's game against Tenn.

Id say Sharp is bigger, stronger has better initial burst, McCluster might have slightly better top end speed (above 40 yards) although I think it just appears that way because of some of Sharp's descisions of where to make cuts in the open field, which he got better at during his junior year. Its hard to judge some of Sharp's runs because of the nagging foot injury, like the 56 yard shovel pass where he gets caught from behind, I think had he not had the foot injury he would have had a td. Like ToughJ.Riggins said, he has loads up upside, which should get him a draft spot in the 4th/5th round if he didn't lack pigment.

Edited by: dwid

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Well, I think 19 RBs were drafted last year, so if Sharp was ranked #10 that would probably put him in the 4th round. I agree with you that 4th or 5th round is where he should go right now, but a combine invite with a sub 4.4 40 and a good showing in the receiving and agility drills could have lifted him as high as the late 2nd round if he got buzz- if he were black. Think Chris Henry of Arizona.

Henry is slightly faster and bigger, but didn't have the stats of Sharp and was drafted in the 2nd round after running a sub 4.4. Sharp has elite burst, good speed, elite X-Y agility and good X-Z agility with decent power for a smaller back when compared to RBs in the NFL. I'd say that's lots of upside if he can improve his instincts a bit.Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Yeah Dixon doesn't have nearly as much X-Y agility (one quick cut and stop on a dime agility, intial burst is close) as Gerhart and he doesn't have as much swivel either. Power is a close call, speed is close, Gerhart has quicker feet and can make short choopy steps when he has to to avoid arm tackles, Dixon has less finesse. No doubt if they were both black- Gerhart would be being talked about as a sure 1st rounder as a slightly faster Beanie Wells and Dixon would be being talked about as the third/fourth round prospect.

BTW, those toolbag white loathers at Footballs black future site have Gerhart lower than any other site (as could be predicted). They have Gerhart as the #9 HB. And if you speak out about this on their site and even implied a racial bias without saying it, they'll ban you. I guess they are afraid of reasonable debate because they know their "racial agenda" will be proven. Have to silence the opposition when you are an extremist and 100% wrong and that's what Footballs "future" is.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
I sure hope he does. That will help his draft stock tremendously. In a fair league if Toby runs a 4.4 at the combine he should be a first round pick.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
If Toby runs a 4.4 40 y/d and adds impressive reps of 225# & has a solid vertical (33-35+)...I think he might get snatched late 1st/early 2nd. Of course, if there wasn't a caste system...he'd be a 1st round lock (within top 25 picks).

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Look at all the opportunities Ron Dayne got despite running a 4.6 at the combine. The fat little turd shouldn't have even been in the league. Toby is a much better athlete than Dayne yet gets none of the respect.
Edited by: whiteathlete33

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
What amazed me about Dayne was despite his weight he had no power. He was fat and slow with minimal moves. His one saving grace should have been a lot of power, but he didn't even have that yet was given years and years of opportunities in the NFL. The only time he lookedeven mediocrewas when he waswith Houston, after he stunk up the joint for four seasons with the Giants.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Don, he also won the Heisman and there was never any talk of Dayne being an "H-back type" in the lNFL despite his 4.6 speed. There is quite a bit of talk about Toby not being able to play running back in the league. Pretty sad.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I agree with the above posts about Dayne. He did play solid in Denver for part of a season in addition to a short stint with Houston, but he was a huge dissappointment and lacked both explosiveness and power as a runner over his career. I think he actually ran a 4.65 40.

There was an article on Gerhart linked by DD.
Gerhart article eludes to a caste system

"Although he was a record-setting tailback in high school, some of the colleges recruiting him wanted him to play fullback, or even switch to defense."

"Some teams didn't see me as a running back at all," Gerhart said. "You just have to battle through it and prove people wrong. It's something I've gotten used to over the years."

"Gerhart set the California high school career rushing record with 9,662 yards. His senior year, he rushed for 3,233 yards and 39 touchdowns, including a memorable 458-yard, six-touchdown performance in a playoff game."

"Yet when he was being recruited, some schools saw him as a linebacker or safety."

"That [criticism] actually was more of a motivator for him," Lori Gerhart said. "Truthfully, this NFL thing is driving him also. He keeps hearing he can't play tailback, he's not fast enough, he's not this or that."

"I want to play running back and be the feature back," said Gerhart.

"Gerhart said he has run a 4.43 in the 40-yard dash at Stanford. To make his case for being a primary back, he may have to duplicate it, or even improve on it, by the time of the NFL draft, April 22-24."

"That's what I take pride in, letting the performance speak for itself instead of all this buzz," Gerhart said.

My take: This is so ridiculous. A 4.43 40 would have been the fastest time for a RB out of over 30 invited last year at the combine according to the original reports from the NFL network. It was faster than every 1st round back drafted last year by a significant ammount. Donald Brown was the fastest 1st rounder at 4.51. What does Toby have to do, run a 4.1?
smiley7.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
For the past couple of months I've been messaging Toby through facebook and encouraging him to keep promoting himself as an NFL feature back. No replies so far, but I imagine he is reading them. I'm just glad to see a talented young White athlete stand up for himself. If he succeeds in becoming a starting NFL RB, it should encourage more Whites like him to stand up, instead of being team players like Hillis, Leonard, and Hester.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I am getting really nervous as we are getting close to the NFL Combine. I really hope Gerhart can run in the 4.4 range. His 40 yard dash will be worth millions of dollars as far as where he will be drafted at. Good luck to Toby. I know he will do everything he can to be ready and prepared.