Tim Benjamin

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Tim Benjamin is a good 400 meter man for Great Britain.As
a junior he won the 200 meters title in 1999.He used to
run the 100 & the 200 meters but was moved up to the 400.
His p.b. indoors in the 200 of a 20.8 translates outdoors
to the 20.3 range.They should have him still running the
200 in addition to the 400.He has outstanding speed.He has
battled injuries but is now finally back to full health.
He just beat J.Wariner this weekend running a personal best
of 44.75!He will be another guy keep an eye on.

Well, hopefully that a massive work project is out of the way, I can jump
back in and fire off a few posts here and there.

Benjamin is a good talent, he's just had injury trouble on and off the last
few years, as White Lightning mentioned. The race itself was funny to
watch, as Wariner began to coast, thinking he had it locked up. He was
busy keeping an eye on Williamson etc. and Benjamin came screaming up
on the outside. By the time Wariner saw him, it was too late to react.
While I don't think that Wariner will let this happen again (it was bound to
happen, as Wariner seems to play a lot of mind games with other runners)
it is amusing that White sprinters have come up so quickly in this event
the last three seasons. With Craig Mottram running 12:56 the other day
in the 5k and Alan Webb of the US coming on in the 1500, it shows that
some of those gosh darn White guys can indeed run. Of course, we
already knew that.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
We need to write a book to dispute that idiot J.Entine.
That book "Taboo" is a piece of garbage.He wants people
to believe that we can't compete.I can't stand that guy
and all of the other P.C. People.They will never be happy
unless every white athlete just gives up.Benjamin is a
very pleasant suprise.England has had a history of some
very good 400 meter guys.I hope that both him and Wariner
run some 200's next season.I want to see a few sub 20's
out of these guys.Another guy to watch is Tobias Unger
but I already started a thread on him.

I think I mentioned before I had worked on a program years ago and
Entine was guy in charge. It was a show on NBC about black athletes, and
the 'superiority' blah blah. Entine and others apparently made sure that
info that didn't suit their views or needs didn't make it on air. In his
book, he continued his modus operandi, and left out info that
contradicted his conclusions. Entine is yet another of those jewish guys
in the media who have it out for whites.

There was a 'forum' that aired after the NBC special, the questions were
set up ahead of time. When it was pointed out that whites dominate the
high jump even though the show claimed blacks ALWAYS outjump whites,
one of the 'expert' guests brushed it off to 'technique'. It was just another
exercise in brainwashing.

surfsider

Guru
Benjamin is really impressing me. Here is the result of the Van Damme 400...
1Simpson Brandon JAM 44.70
2Benjamin Timothy GBR 44.74
3Francique Alleyne GRN 44.84
4Blackwood Michael JAM 44.84
5Brown Christopher BAH 45.55
6Washington Tyree USA 45.72
7Tobin Robert GBR 45.73
8Santa Carlos DOM 46.03
Christopher Tyler CAN DNF
It is good to see Tobin racing in big meets.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Surfsider, how many of those guys are white?

When you post results, would you put a little W next to the name's of the white athletes? I know next to nothing about most of the white athletes in these events, and every time I try to Google a name I read here I get nothing but lists of track times dating back to 1999 and stuff like that. If you know it, can you post it? I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!
smiley20.gif

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Only Benjamin & Tobin are white.Tyler Christopher is half
white & half black.Also Wariner & Rock are white but they were not in this race.When you do the google search,do it
on the google image search for their name.Hope that helps.

G

white shogun:

try images.google.com

when searching for a specific person with common name, try adding their event or sport to the search.

surfsider

Guru
Benjamin PR'd at 44.56 to take second at the World Athletics Final in Monte Carlo. Tyree Washington won in 44.51. Wariner had a hip flexor problem and was limping and finished eighth.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Uh.. Tyree Washington. He's black, right?

smiley36.gif

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Tim Benjamin is the man.This kid at one time was a 100/200 guy as a teenager and had good sucess.I think that he should run some 200 meters races next year just like Wariner.We need some new faces in the deuce.Benjamin deserves all the accolades.He has busted his ass to get to where he is at.He just might break the All Time Euro Record over the 400 next season!
smiley32.gif

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
A supporter sent this link. Great quotes from Michael Johnson. (Man, some of these URLs are ridiculously long!)

[url]http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0700sports/1200sportsroundup/ tm_objectid=16134322&method=full&siteid=50082&headline=athle tics---benjamin-s-a-real-inspiration--name_page.html [/url]

Athletics: 'Benjamin's a real inspiration' Sep 15 2005

Bob Cypher, South Wales Echo

Sprinter Michael Johnson believes Wales' Tim Benjamin can be a major role model and inspiration to the next generation of British one-lap stars, writes BOB CYPHER.

Johnson, now a BBC summariser, built up an awesome reputation as a 200m and 400m breaking records and dominating the two events.

And he believes Benjamin, from Peterston-super-Ely, Cardiff, has all the qualities to win major medals.

The Texan also says that the fact the Welshman is not of African heritage has no bearing on his medal-winning ability.

'The world championships men's 400 metres final in Helsinki had a very different complexion to what I saw during my competitive days,' said Johnson.

'Jeremy Wariner and Andrew Rock, the gold and silver medallists respectively, are white Americans. I'm not sure of Tyler Christopher's racial background, but I am sure that he is not totally of African heritage.

'Add Tim to that group and at least half of the field was not of the traditional African heritage you normally see in a 400m final. Two white men grabbed the top medals, while Christopher took the bronze.

'I think this should be a signal to young kids who look at the sprints and mistakenly think that they will never succeed due to the colour of their skin.

'Ditto for the children whose coaches convince them to move up to the 800m because of their skin colour. It is possible to be a successful sprinter, no matter your skin colour.

'Wariner has always refused to let the colour of his skin be an issue, and that attitude has helped him to become the seventh fastest 400m runner of all time as well as the Olympic and world champion.

'The way Tim has burst on the scene this year, after a terrible time with injuries and illness earlier in the year, shows he has that something special.

'I'm not sure if it's guts, or pride or determination or just a combination of all three, but you can forget the colour of his skin, that has nothing to do with it.

'He will win major medals at major competitions, as he did last weekend in Monaco, taking the silver at the IAAF Grand Prix Final. And he ran the fastest time of his life to do it. His progression this season has been excellent and he must go into the winter determined to come out next year and carry on where he left off.'

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I've seen this article before but I'm glad that you posted it Don.When a track legend like M.Johnson talks,people usually listen.I hope he continues to help inspire young white athletes everywhere to get out there and train.With good genetics & hard work,any one can be a quality sprinter.Whites need to realize this especially in the USA.Most white kids here are just under the belief that they cannot compete on a level playing field and most parents belive this to be true.Wake up people.Let's get out there and start demanding the respect back that we deserve.The best thing about track is that the stop watch cannot discriminate based on skin color.If you can run,you will be a star.It's too bad other sports are as easy to get a fair chance.Keep it up Benjamin & run some 200's also!

surfsider

Guru
Success by white sprinters in the 200 will go farther to change peoples perceptions about white sprinting ability than even the great exploits of Wariner, Rock and Benjamin in the 400.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
That's why all of these guys need to double some next season.All of them should be able to run the 200 meters in around the 20 second range.That will win them alot of races.I checked the year ending rankings for the 400 meters at the IAAF.org Website.They have Wariner 1st,and Benjamin as the 2nd ranked 400 guy in the world.This is good but I think Rock easily deserves the 2nd or 3rd ranking.They have Andrew Rock way down at #7.That is far too low as he was as consistant as anyone.

As usual, buried at work. Took time for a peek in here. WL - Rock didn't
run a lot of races on the circuit over in Europe, that's why his ranking isn't
what it should be on the IAAF list. I wouldn't put too much stock in their
ranking system, as it is skewed to favor athletes who run a lot of circuit
meets. It will be interesting to see how the ever PC Track and Field News
ranks the event. Wariner will easily nab the top spot, but we'll see how
Rock and Benjamin fare. That magazine contradicts itself constantly with
their rankings, so don't be surprised if they place Rock and Benjamin
lower than they should be, and try and move faves like Merrit up a few
notches. Might not happen, but I wouldn't bet on it. They have so many
self hating PC lapdogs on their heavily edited discussion board that it's
very tough to go over there even for a minute.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Your right about Track and Field News.They are so politically correct,they don't even know what color they are.lol.It's very hard to talk or deal with an uneducated person.Another term would be brainwashed.I still wonder how Benjamin would have faired if he had stayed running at the shorter distances.He was a 10.5 and 20.7 guy as a teenager.Then they said,your white so you have to run longer races.Just like they do to so many white sprinters who on average peak a little later than black sprinters.They are steered away from events that they could possibly excel at.The only good thing is that Benjamin is finally world class.I am happy for him!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Tim Benjamin will open his outdoor season Friday in Olso.He will be taking on J.Wariner.As far as I can rememeber,he was the only one to beat Wariner last year.I feel bad for Tim because he has battled so many injuries similar to Shirvo.Benjamin is only 24 so hopefully he will have several more huge seasons.Last year was his best as a pro by far.

devans

Mentor
From www.bbc.co.uk
Tim Benjamin, who topped Europe's 400m rankings last year, has pulled out of the Gateshead meeting after two disappointing performances in the last week.
The Welshman has only recently recovered from a groin injury and has decided to concentrate on training.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Tim Benjamin is back on track with a 45.80 to win in Italy today. Hope he can get back to sub 45 form.

StarWars

Mentor
He just ran 45.51, losing only to David Gillick, who ran 45.16. I hope both of these guys qualify for the final in Berlin. Maybe Rooney and Wissman too. And Wariner will beat Meriitt.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Another win by Benjamin - 45.57. Good time, but let's hope he can get under 45 again soon

albinosprint

Mentor
why didn't he stick with the 100m? when he was 17 he ran 10.48 & 20.76. looks like a bit of the caste system got him.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
If you go back early in this thread, I talk about what you just said. It happens in England all the time just like in the US. His 200 ability especially really intrigued me early on when he was a kid. I thought he had tremendouus potential. The UK Athletics Dept. thought different.