Tight end situation

referendum

Mentor
I'm worried about the tight end situation with the Bronco's. Will Graham be starting over Sheffler? If so, how much action will Sheffler see, or Alexander for that matter?

schajw

I'm not an expert, but I am a Bronco fan. It looks to me like Graham will start, but since Denver never seems to have a productive 3rd or 4th wide receiver, Scheffler should get a decent amount of action. This year may be no different, if Rod Smith and Brandon Stokely don't recover well from their injuries (or if Stokely is passed over, as usually happens with White receivers).I read Alexander will probably be in a lot as the second blocking tight end. From what I've read, Graham wasn't happy with the Pats because he didn't get enough looks as a receiving TE, so he may get a number of balls thrown his way in Denver. That would cut into Scheffler's action, but if you remember last season, Cutler and Scheffler had a good connection going towards the end of the season. In fact, the Denver Post goes so far as to say Scheffler is Cutler's favorite target.

backrow

Hall of Famer
WTF is up with this:

TE 89 D. Graham 82 S. Alexander 81 N. Jackson 88 T. Scheffler

so Scheffler, who might be more talented pass catcher than 80% of tight ends in the league is stuck behind Graham, injury prone Stephen Alexander and converted receiver who never got a shot Nate Jackson? why is that if he was by far the most productive TE that Denver had last season? why is he in a dog house???
has anyone watched any Broncos games? is he even getting on the field at all?

ShowSomePride

Backrow wrote:

"has anyone watched any Broncos games? is he even getting on the field at all?"

I'm sorry to say that no, I didn't see him so much as take the field last week. They guy is so big and fast it's a shame he's been relegated to the #4 TE. How many teams even have 4 TE's?

backrow

Hall of Famer
any idea as to why he is in the dog house? he finished last season strong, but i've read somewhere that he's dropped a couple of balls, i wonder if that's the reason... makes no sense for him NOT to play.

schajw

It's crazy. Even stupid. Scheffler gets benched, while stone-hands
Graham drops a 4th down pass against Jacksonville, then gets an delay
of game penalty for spiking the ball. End result - Broncos lose. Five
bucks said Scheffler makes that catch and the drive continues.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Here's an article on Scheffler. It sounds like he's been forced to work his way back up the depth chart after being injured. Mike Shanahan is notorious for promoting and demoting running backs, sounds like the same thing at tight end. One would think that after the way Cutler and Scheffler hooked up at the end of last season, Scheffler would go right back to being the starter, but that's not how Shanahan the "genius" works.

http://cbs4denver.com/sports/local_story_263073049.html

ShowSomePride

Scheffler is in for Jackson today due to injury. He's had two catches so far and just blocked a punt.
smiley4.gif