The Return of Tobias Unger!

RPope71

StarWars said:
This year is in my opinion the first year white man will make the finals. It feels special.

There's gonna be 3 Jamaicans, 4 Americans, 3 Trinidadians, and severalindependents in Berlin. To make it to the finals, a white sprinter will has to beat7 of these guys.. all7 of whom have this yearrun faster than the white'sall-time best. Two or three including injury, maybe..but I just don't see anyone beating7.

JAM - 9.86 -Usain Bolt
JAM -9.97 -Asafa Powell
JAM - 10.02 -Michael Frater

USA - 9.75w - Tyson Gay
USA - 9.94 - Michael Rodgers
USA - 10.02 - Darvis Patton
USA - 10.02 - Monzavous Edwards

T&T - 10.01 - Richard Thompson
T&T - 10.03 - Aaron Armstrong
T&T - 10.04 - Marc Burns

AHO - 9.97 - Churandy Martina
ANT - 9.99 - Daniel Bailey
BAR - 10.03 - Andrew Hinds
GBR - 10.06 - Dwain Chambers

white lightning

Hall of Famer
First off, Matic Osovnikar made the 100 finals just two years ago at the last World Championships. He is on the decline as he is close to 30 but he made it. In my honest opinion, I would put Pickering, Cerutti and Unger as being better sprinters than Matic. Also you have to realize that Tobias Unger made the 200 Olympic Finals back in 2004. So he has been there and knows what it takes to get there!

You also have alot of young guys that could possilby step it up a notch. Then you also are assuming that all of those guys will be at their best. I know it's still a slight long shot but it is well within reach. It won't matter in the long run because I know who will run a 9.98 and that will guarantee a final! I will let you figure that one out.

StarWars

Mentor
So far the best white times this year go like this:

sub 10.10 range:
Craig Pickering (2.1w)
Ramil Guliyev

sub 10.20 range:
Fabio Cerutti
Tobias Unger
Stefan Schwab

sub 10.30 range:
Emanuele Di Gregorio
Simone Collio
Jared Connaughton
others

My pics for the finals go in this general but non-specific order: Craig Pickering, Fabio Cerutti, Ramil Guliyev, Tobias Unger, Emanuele Di Gregorio, Christophe Lemaitre, Jared Connaaughton

albinosprint

Mentor
WTF! Unger is only going for the relay?

The German team for Berlin:

Men
200 m: Aleixio Platini Menga
4x100 m: Marius Broening, Tobias Unger, Stefan Schwab, Alexander Kosenkow, Martin Keller.
4x400 m: Martin Grothkopp, Jonas Plass, Ruwen Faller, Thomas Schneider, Eric Krüger
1.500 m: Carsten Schlangen, Stefan Eberhardt
Marathon: André Pollmächer, Martin Beckmann, Falk Cierpinski, Tobias Sauter, Stefan Koch
110 m H: Matthias Bühler, Helge Schwarzer, Alexander John
400 m H: Thomas Goller
20 k Walk: André Höhne
50 k Walk: André Höhne
HJ: Raul Spank
PV: Alexander Straub, Malte Mohr, Tobias Scherbarth
LJ: Sebastian Bayer
SP: Ralf Bartels, Peter Sack
DT: Robert Harting
HT: Markus Esser, Sergej Litvinov
JZ: Mark Frank
Decathlon: Michael Schrader, Pascal Behrenbruch, Norman Müller

Women
4x100 m: Verena Sailer, Marion Wagner, Anne Möllinger, Cathleen Tschirch, Lisa Schorr 4x400 m: Sorina Nwachukwu, Claudia Hoffmann, Esther Cremer, Jonna Tilgner
10.000 m: Sabrina Mockenhaupt
Marathon: Sabrina Mockenhaupt, Irina Mikitenko, Susanne Hahn, Melanie Kraus, Luminita Zaituc
SC: Antje Möldner
20 k Walk: Sabine Krantz
HJ: Ariane Friedrich
PV: Silke Spiegelburg, Kristina Gadschiew, Anna Battke
LJ: Bianca Kappler, Beatrice Marscheck
TJ: Katja Demut
SP: Nadine Kleinert, Denise Hinrichs, Christina Schwanitz
DT: Nadine Müller, Franka Dietzsch
HT: Betty Heidler, Kathrin Klaas, Andrea Bunjes
JT: Christina Obergföll, Steffi Nerius, Linda Stahl
Heptathlon: Jennifer Oeser, Lilli Schwarzkopf, Julia Mächtig

albinosprint

Mentor
why isn't Unger running the 100m? he just ran close to a PR into a -2.5 wind! if he is not in the 100m its BS!

StarWars

Mentor
He definitely is and Kosenkow and Herring are in the 200. The list must be a typo. Very common on stat sheets.

albinosprint

Mentor
I hope so! I would hate to think Germany is going Australian with their decision on who to send.

white is right

Hall of Famer
I read on another board his time at the trials translates into a 10.01 without wind. That is blasting. If keeps up that form he is another dark horse to final. Good news....
smiley32.gif

white is right

Hall of Famer
So far Unger Pepe Le Flew and Guliev look like the best of the dark horses to make the final. They all will have to run near or make a pb to final. (Throw in the Japanese sprinter who ran a 10.08 in that group too)

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
He slowed up the last 3 or 4 steps.I wish he had run through the finish. His time would be closer to 10.10.

greyghost

Mentor
no matter what, unger has to learn to be relaxed when competing against non-german sprinters, lets not have another WC2009 berlin. the guy has always had the ability but against black sprinters ie carribean and americans he seems to shrink, lets see if he can bring it against {the cheat} chambers
smiley2.gif
obviously a mental problem because we can see what he can do when at home!
smiley16.gif

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Unger performed very well yesterday. As jacknyc said, he does ease up in the final. In the slow motion replay, I would even say he jogs the last 5 steps. He has been watching A.Powell too much. What a confidence builder. He ran a 10.16/20.20 years ago and I thought he was going to continue to improve. Then he hit the wall. Hopefully he is finally back.

Again this goes to prove that white sprinters can continue to improve into their late twenties and thirties. Very happy for Unger and Blum is looking a little better. He just needs to get stronger. Christian has always been a very smooth sprinter. He just needs to get his strength and endurance levels back up to the level of a few years ago. Plenty of time for him as he is only 23. I'm hoping by 2011, Blum will be a force again.

greyghost

Mentor
watch out for unger in the next couple weeks, i reckon he still has something special but i really would love to see him over 200. ah yes spread the love ,i say, the white psychological barrier has fallen and unger is presently in form
smiley2.gif

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Happy 31st birthday to Tobias Unger today. He will be going for the double in the German National Champs. I'm hoping they change their minds and he only runs in the 100. That way he might just have a chance at going sub 10.10 or even better. Good luck Tobias. Edited by: white lightning

mastermulti

Master
Tobias fighting Mbanjock for a bronze in the Euros behind the two favourites would be good to see.
He's just seen Christophe's run!Edited by: mastermulti

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Don't count out Cerrutti, Collio, DiGregario, Blum, and a few others. Mbandjock is a talent though so he should be in the mix along with Unger.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
This weekend is the German National Champs. Unger always seems to rise to the occasion. He set his old personal best of 10.16 and 20.20 years ago there. He recently went 10.14 coasting the last 5 strides. He could have easily been in the 10.05 range and that was with no wind.

I have feeling we are going to see another p.b. from Unger this weekend. How close to 10 seconds can he go? I'm pumped for this weekend!

albinosprint

Mentor
white lightning said:
<div>I have  feeling we are going to see another p.b. from Unger this weekend. How close to 10 seconds can he go? I'm pumped for this weekend!</div>

I agree! Unger is looking like he's on fire!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I know we are all waiting for Lemaitre to race in another day but I wanted to remind you guys that Tobias Unger will be racing this weekend. It is the German National Championships. I'm hoping that Unger, Blum, Ersnt, Herring and a few others can really step up their game. This will help to decide who will fill out the rest of the team for Barcelona. If I can find any kind of link I will. If not, they will post the videos of the races usually within a day or two at the most. I'm very pumped for this meet.