the great white pay off.

jazbb

this is just a thought that has rolled around in my head for a long time! did boxing pay white fighter too let blacks win? with the new face of boxing today its st arting to make a better argument in my mind ! with few white boxer in the 60s 70s and 80s and blacks tenacity for violence when things dont go there way.it would be good business to play it safe.but now with hordes of easteuros dumping into boxing payoffs would be out of the question! i would love to have everyones opinion on this..

White_Savage

Mentor
Boxing was the disreputable sport of the dirt poor. Post-WWII America, the vast majority of Whites with any gumption and iniative could find a better way to make a living than boxing.

Then there is the mental high ground. Jou Louis was one of the greatest. The accepted racial mindset of the time was that the races were different, that the Black was closer to the primal and thus naturally more powerful. And at the same time of course, it was shameful to be beaten by a Black. He is is desperate to "not loose" can't win.

Now it is reversed. Today if anything, it is shameful to get beaten by a "White boy". Blacks are the ones who have to look at the results and question their fundamental assumption of utter superiority.

No.

Although the excuse for white dominance today is that blacks have gone into other sports, it really was true for whites from the early 60s onwards as the ones who could have been great fighters went into football and other fields.

The white American heavyweights who did compete in it were average to middling at best and the media's habit of hyping them and then mercilessly mocking them when they got beaten (see Bobick,Cooney) did incredible damage and created the whole white heavyweight stigma.

The fall of communism in eastern Europe and those athlete being allowed to turn pro is what turned whites fortunes around in the heavyweight ranks.

I think Kelly Pavlik may have benefited form Bob Arum's difficulties in getting him top rated opponents. He had relatively ( to Pavlik ) weak opponents to practice on in a realistic fight environment. He also built a lot of confidence. Cooney was a talented fighter but he was not developed well in his match up . He went from The Hill Club to Larry Holmes . who like or not was a pretty good fighter. If he had fought some tougher opponents on his way to Holmes he would have been better prepared and would have made a better showing. This is an area in which the European fighters have and advantage. They get to fight the the best in Europe with out having to deal with the racial dynamics. The other advantage for the Eastern Europeans was the National Sports Acadamies talented athletes received training and competition form and early age.