Texas C Buck Burnette kicked off squad

dwid

Hall of Famer
for "racist" remarks
http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/2008/11/06/texas-c-buck-bur nette-learns-why-racist-obama-facebook-updates-a/?icid=10021 4839x1212168252x1200781116

Texas' Buck Burnette Learns Why Racist Obama Facebook Updates Are Dumb
Posted Nov 6th 2008 2:30PM by Will Brinson (author feed)
Filed under: Texas, Big 12, NCAA FB Campus, NCAA FB Coaching, NCAA FB Gossip, NCAA FB Scandal, General CFB Insanity

For those that don't know, Facebook status updates are broadcast to everyone you know. So, if you're going to post something that sounds racist or bigoted, well, don't.

Texas Longhorn lineman Buck Burnette learned this the hard way. See, here was Buck's Facebook status following Barack Obama's win the presidential election:

"all the hunters gather up, we have a #$%&er in the whitehouse"

Geez, Buck. Even if you actually feel that way -- which is sad -- why not just keep it to yourself? You know, instead of telling five million people. But he didn't, and naturally, he is now paying the price; he's been kicked off the UT football team.

On the very tiny bright side, Burnette at least claims to be somewhat remorseful and not racist, issuing the following apology:
Clearly I have made a mistake and apologized for it and will pay for it. I received it as a text message from an acquaintance and immaturely put it up on facebook in the light of the election. Im not racist and apologize for offending you. I grew up on a ranch in a small town where that was a real thing and I need to grow up. I sincerely am sorry for being ignorant in thinking that it would be ok to write that publicly and apologize to you in particular. I have to be more mature than to put the reputation of my team at stake and to spread that kind of hate which I dont even believe in. Once again, I sincerely apologize.

Yeah, that's all fine and dandy, but it doesn't really help the whole situation

Furina fan

Witch hunt, really extreme to ax him from the team and cost him his sholarship. Mere words supposedly protected by the 1st amendment. I hope he sues Texas and wins.

Consider the presidence where some guys get in serious trouble with the law repeatedly and don't get thrown off their teams. Seems a bit excessive when one considers that.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
The Oklahoma Sooners' did dismiss a true freshman wideout (from Georgia) for some rap lyrics on his Facebook. But... he was allowed to come to Oklahoma (on scholarship) in the first place even though he had a gun "incident" in high school. I think this afflete is now at UAB.

Onto another situation. I still can't figure out how a rapist can be brought onto a team (also on scholarship, of course) -- that team being the Kansas Jayhawks. And, certainly, they aren't the only team with criminals on the roster. There are also a bunch of low-lifes in NCAA basketball.

icsept

Master
He actually used the word "coon" not n***er. That was the gist of the hunting "joke." Whites are not allowed to use certain words in any context, period. This innocuous joke will haunt this kid for years. He will never be forgiven for what has become the ultimate sin a white can commit: racial insensitivity. It has become the ultimate way to take a white man's job, reputation, scholarship, etc. based on a comment or a joke. This is America, watch your back. You could probably lose your job for coming on this site.

SteveB

Mentor
Although Burnette should be protected under the 1st Amendment to say whatever he wants, as a practical matter, he would have been beaten to a pulp by the black UT players, if he was allowed to return. A lesson for all white players, the thought police are watching you.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
SteveB said:
Although Burnette should be protected under the 1st Amendment to say whatever he wants, as a practical matter, he would have been beaten to a pulp by the black UT players, if he was allowed to return. A lesson for all white players, the thought police are watching you.

Good point SteveB!