Sultan Ibragimov

freedom1

Mentor
Briggs-Ibragimov on March 10 at MSG, Live on HBO

New York, January 10 â€â€￾ It's the first heavyweight championship fight of 2007, and on Saturday night, March 10th, at Madison Square Garden's Theater in New York City, Sultan Ibragimov hopes to take his first step towards becoming the sport's next great heavyweight when he challenges hometown hero and champion Shannon Briggs for the WBO Heavyweight Championship of The World. HBO will televise this high-impact 12 round showdown - which is presented by Seminole Warriors Boxing Promotions, Golden Boy Promotions, and Golden Grain, in association with Madison Square Garden - live beginning at 10pm ET / on delay 10pm PT..

"Sultan Ibragimov has long been seen as the future of the heavyweight division, and we're pleased to finally announce that the future is here," said Leon Margules, Executive Director of Seminole Warriors Boxing Promotions. "And I can't think of a better place to crown a new champion than in the Garden, where legends like Muhammad Ali, Joe Joe Frazier, Joe Louis, and Rocky Marciano all thrilled fight fans."

"Sultan Ibragimov is an exciting young fighter and he's earned his title shot," said Briggs, "but there's no way I'm giving up my belt, and absolutely no chance of me losing in front of my hometown fans. I'm here to stay, and Ibragimov's gonna have to chase after another belt, because he's not getting mine."

Said Ibragimov, "The road to get here wasn't easy and I made a lot of sacrifices, but on March 10th I expect that all my hard work will pay off when I get to put the WBO heavyweight championship belt around my waist."

Tickets, priced at $1005, $605, $355, $205, $105, $80 and they go on sale Friday, January 12, 2007 at 9:00 a.m. at all Ticketmaster locations and the Madison Square Garden box office.
A 2000 Olympic Silver medalist for Russia, Sultan Ibragimov (19-0-1, 16 KOs) turned pro in 2002 with a first round knockout of Tracy Williams - in fact, his first four fights ended in opening round victories. By 2004, Ibragimov relocated to Florida and began making a name for himself on the US scene. He won the WBO Asia-Pacific title in October of 2004 by knocking out Najee Shaheed in the third round, and he defended that crown six times. Among his victims were former world champion Al Cole and contenders Lance Whitaker and Zuri Lawrence.

In July of 2006, Ibragimov battled Ray Austin in one of the best heavyweight fights of 2006 and after trading knockdowns with 'The Rainman', a 12 round draw verdict was rendered, though most observers believed Ibragimov deserved the nod. The WBO seemed to agree as Ibragimov earned the number one spot in the organization and a shot at Briggs.

A longtime contender known for his charisma and knockout power, Shannon Briggs (48-4-1, 42 KOs) has been a pro since 1992, but amazingly, he's only 35 years old. A native of the same Brownsville, Brooklyn neighborhood that produced Mike Tyson and Riddick Bowe, Briggs was a can't miss prospect as he moved up the pro ranks. But after he suffered his first loss to Darroll Wilson in 1996, the bandwagon emptied.

Briggs stood the course though, winning his next five fights, including a decision over the legendary George Foreman. That victory earned him a shot at world champion Lennox Lewis in March of 1998, and even though Briggs was stopped in five rounds, his championship heart earned him a new legion of fans.

After a rollercoaster series of fights over the next few years, Briggs did some serious soul searching and began on the road back to the title, winning 12 fights in a row, all by knockout. The capper, of course, was his stirring 12th round TKO win over Sergei Liakhovich last November, and now in 2007, fight fans have not only a charismatic champion at the helm of the division, but a hungry and talented challenger waiting to take that belt away.

An exciting undercard will be announced at a later date.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I can't wait.It's even better as I'm on vacation that week from work.It will be a spring break to remember with the next great champion in the heavyweights.This fight should be close but Sultan will win!

Bunnyman

Guru
Briggs was very lucky to beat Lyakhovich. Ibragimov should put Brigs on his back. The only worry is the size difference. Briggs is almost 270. Sultan is 225.

Gary

Mentor
Bunnyman-I like your posts.I hope Ibragimov comes in at a good weight but in better shape then he was against Austin.I believe Chagaev is better then Ibragimov or Lyakhovich.What do you think?

Bunnyman

Guru
Thanks Gary. I think Chagaev is better than Ibragimov or Lyakhovich but I don't think he can hang with Valuev. I say that based on his close fight with Vladimir Virchis.

Ibragimov came in at his highest weight ever against Austin and still got the better of him in my opinion (fight was a draw). If Sultan is in top shape he should KO the asthmatic Briggs.

Triad

Mentor
IBRAGIMOV DISGUSTED WITH BRIGGS AND HIS FELLOW HEAVYWEIGHTS; HOPES SOMEONE WILL STEP UP TO MARCH 10TH BOUT
Submitted by: ADCC NEWS
Posted On 02/21/2007

HOLLYWOOD, FL, February 20 - Number one WBO heavyweight contender Sultan Ibragimov, disappointed at seeing his long-awaited title shot against Shannon Briggs postponed due to the champion's illness, minced no words when it came to the topic of the Brooklyn-born Briggs and the rest of the heavyweight division.

"It seems that everything having to do with Briggs is attached to an excuse," said Ibragimov. "I don't understand why he just can't get in the ring and fight. We all get aches and pains and little sicknesses when we're preparing for a fight, but the real fighters fight through them. Unfortunately, it seems there aren't any real fighters left."

High-profile heavyweights Ray Mercer, Dominick Guinn, Taurus Sykes, and Lou Savarese, among others, were all offered substantial paydays to battle the unbeaten Ibragimov on March 10th, but they refuse to get in the ring with the top contender in the game today.

"I'm disgusted, but at the same time I'm not surprised that these so-called fighters won't fight me," said Ibragimov. "They're all like Briggs - no heart."

The bout between Briggs and Ibragimov will be rescheduled.

"The weather will be nicer so Briggs may show up to defend his title," said Ibragimov. "Unless he gets a sunstroke and has to pull out again."

For more information on Seminole Warrior's Boxing, please visit our website at www.warriorsboxing.com

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Good stuff, call those black p*ssies out! We need some tough talking fighters, he should call out the media too.

white is right

Hall of Famer
The "Sultan of Brunei" is scheduled to fight Javier Mora who is a club fighter. It should be a walk in the park for the Russian. The most interesting thing about this proposed March 10th bout is whether this fight will be for the interim WBO belt and the strong resemblance of Mora to Tommy Morrison(back when Morrison didn't dye his hair).
smiley36.gif

Sounds like Briggs wants to duck this fight. In Briggs case this is probably wise. I have said he would be heavyweight champ only as long as he could avoid facing a serious contender.

JD074

Master
Dang! I was looking forward to seeing this fight. Oh well. At least Wlad fights on the same day!

Bunnyman

Guru
It'll be nice to have all the heavyweight belts back in white hands again. Ibragimov should KO Briggs when they fight in May. The Mora fight will help him knock off some rust as well. Maybe HBO will show in addition tothe Wlad-Austin fight.

By the way, there are strong rumors of a Lewis-Vitali rematch in November if (when) Vitali beats Oleg.

j41181

Master
The fight against Klitschko was just embarrassing for him. I think he just realized that a loss would close any chances of another title shot. Best of luck to him.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
This is sad news. Ibragimov was one of my favorite fighters. There is nothing embarrasing about losing to the best heavyweight in the world. He could have fought Chagaev for his title. Good luck Sultan.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Supposedly he has 1 million dollar nest egg. That might as well be 100 million if he intends to live in rural Russia.

Westside

Hall of Famer
I was never a huge fan of the cruiserweight division until recently with the resurgence of white fighters especially Tomasz. I think Sultan would have flourished there. I hope reconsiders and campaigns at cruiserweight in the near future.

j41181

Master
He's still quite young (33 years), it's up to him to decide what he wants. But I agree, the cruiserweight division is better suited for him.

Blue Devils

Mentor
Sultan Ibragimov Update!

Interview with Ibragimov's ex-manager Boris Grinberg from Fightnews.com

Boris, in an interview your former client Sultan Ibragimov has claimed you owe him 1.7 million dollars. What can you tell us about this?

Read his interview in the Russian press. There is no truth in it.

Tell us please the crux of the problem.

The point is, that Sultan wishes to take 1.7 million dollars from me, but it has nothing to do with me. It's not my problem.

Is it possible to get more detailed information?

Yes, of course. Sultan wishes to receive 1.7 million dollars. In fact it's really his money, which he had to receive after the fight against Evander Holyfield from the total sum of three million dollars. Besides American promotional company Seminole Warriors Boxing, the company of Yuri Fedorov Sports Lab and actually Mr. Yuri Fedorov was engaged in the organization of the fight. He wanted to show what a great promoter he is, but he even could not "sell"Â￾ well the fight to the television. The organization of the fight was terrible. I would advise Sultan to make his claims against Yuri Fedorov.

But still he has brought an action against you.

What's all this about? I wasn't even there in Moscow at that moment. I'll repeat again that Yuri Fedorov promoted the fight. My contract with Ibragimov ended in November last year. Now we are trying to prove in the court that Ibragimov is not right.

So this question has nothing to do with the fight against Klitschko?

Absolutely! I have completely settled accounts with Ibragimov for this fight and he received all his money.

In his interview Sultan accused Seminole Warriors Boxing of cheating boxers"¦

Seminole Warriors Boxing is a very serious organization. There are four World Champions and another twenty six very talented boxers. If that, what Sultan says, was true, then nobody would work with them, especially the champions of the World.

Has Ibragimov broken off the contract with Seminole Warriors Boxing himself?

No, just the term of the contract has expired.

When your judicial disputes will be settled?

In the near future.

I know that you had a stroke, how do you feel now?

It wasn't a stroke, I had a problem with the chest, but after the operation I feel fine.

They say that it is connected with the lawsuit against Sultan.

Yes, in a way. He viciously insulted me. In fact, I think that I did a lot for him and helped to become the world champion. When this story will be finished I'd like to have some rest from boxing.

I was informed that in the USA Ibragimov got into scandalous story. They say that there is a Latin-American woman who insists that she had a child from Ibragimov, but them he left them in the USA and now doesn't go to America because of this. Is it true?

Yes, it is. I was talking to this woman. As far as I know she applied to the court. Police were coming to me personally, looking for Ibragimov. Now if he comes to America, they will put the handcuffs on him. They do not joke about such affairs in the USA. But I don't want to discuss his private life. These are his problems.