Sherk vs. Penn

nhl411

Guru
Anyone have any opinions on this upcoming fight? I think its gonna be a great one and I'm completely torn on who is going to win..my heart says sherk (bj can be such an a** sometimes) but penn is one hell of a fighter despite this.

nhl411

Guru
like i said, im rooting for sherk, my question was more asking people's opinions on who would win and why

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Yes, there is sometimes a big difference between who you *want* to win and who you *think* will win. The two are not necessarily the same.

I actually like Sherk in this one. I don't think BJ will KO him; look at the vicious knees Sherk took right to the chin in his fight with Hermes Franca.

But I don't think he can 'beat' BJ Penn, either. I see this fight going the distance, with BJ hanging on in the later rounds by the last drop of his always-short gas tank. Sherk by UD.

Having said that, I have an abysmal fight prediction record. So BJ will probably win by KO in the first.
smiley36.gif

p.s. In case it's not clear, I am rooting for Sherk to win all the way.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
What race is BJ Penn? Looks at least part white to me.

Cheering for Sherk, but this is a 50/50 fight.

Ex-PhillyGuy

I think Penn is half White. His father is White.

Anyway, I'm rooting for Sherk and I believe Sherk will win in the later rounds. I don't like Sherk for his style and steroids but I REALLY don't like Penn. But Sherk is a monster, even when he's clean, and I think he will outlast Penn and win.

Bj Penn is a great fighter, he defeated Hughes when Hughes was at or near his prime. In my opinion, I think that BJ has lost a step. I think Sean controls the fight for a five round semi-dull decision victory. Or Sherk may wear BJ down with his superior conditioning and start busting him up as a result in the fourth or fifth.

Poacher

Mentor
I'm taking Sherk by superior work ethic.

But then again I'm the guy who brought you: "Gonzaga isn't on Cro Cop's level."

Penn will gas but not on his own. Sherk will have to push him which means getting in close and risking a submission. If Sherk can press the pace and play good sub-defense for two rounds I think he takes it. An ideal scenario would be something similar to the second(?) round of Penn/ Hughes II where Penn had Matt in a triangle and spent all of his energy trying to close it down only to see Matt hang on and make it out of the round. When they came out for round three Penn was cooked.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
I'm pulling for the Muscleshark, and think he'll pull out a decision or TKO. If Penn wins it'll be via submission. I hope Jardine KOs Wandy too.

guest301

Hall of Famer
The Silva/Jardine fight is way too close to call. Jardine is a much better fighter than I thought he was on the reality show TUF, and Silva doesn't appear to be the fighter he used to be. But the fighters Silva has recently lost to were great fighters. So who knows how this goes. I am pulling for Jardine but I pick Silva to win.

nhl411

Guru
if jardine can keep the distance he wins this fight by decision i think, but if wandy can/is willing to clinch (which he hasn't done in recent fights) i see him giving the dean some major problems..the sherk vs. penn fight is sherks to take if he avoids getting finished in the first 2 rounds: and we all know how tough he is to finish, having only had it done once by a MUCH larger gsp.

guest301

Hall of Famer
There is talk that Wandy Silva is encouraging his new best friend Dana White to set up a match with #1 ranked Anderson Silva and #2 ranked GSP even though they are champions in two different weight classes. So far he is declining. But I would like to see the UFC do what the Pride organization did and set up a best absolute fighter tournament regardless of weight class and any ranked fighter who wants to enter the tournament can do so. Anderson Silva and GSP would be a great fight.Edited by: guest301

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
guest301 said:
There is talk that Wandy Silva is encouraging his new best friend Dana White to set up a match with #1 ranked Anderson Silva and #2 ranked GSP even though they are champions in two different weight classes. So far he is declining. But I would like to see the UFC do what the Pride organization did and set up a best absolute fighter tournament regardless of weight class and any ranked fighter who wants to enter the tournament can do so. Anderson Silva and GSP would be a great fight.

If I'm not mistaken, fights without weight classes are against the law in the United States. They'd have to have this fight outside of the U.S. I'm not sure this fight would be good business, either. It might make a good superfight and rake in a lot of ppv dough, but what next? Would the status of the loser be diminished in the eyes of the fans? I don't know.

I think Silva would beat GSP anyway.Edited by: White Shogun

guest301

Hall of Famer
I am not sure what the laws are Shogun but the UFC has venues now in Canada and all over Europe and there is talk about Mexico City(God help us) and so there are ways to get around such laws if they are applicable. As far as the diminshed status of certain fighters who would lose, that's a concern but the money that would be raised, the attention brought to the sport and the sheer entertainment value of such a tournament would far outweigh anything negative that might happen. By the way, this is the kind of tournament that I would like to see happen every four years or so and not something regular.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
GSP is more athletic & a better wrestler than Silva. I'd give Silva the striking edge...BJJ edge I'm not sure of. I'd love to see that fight & think GSP would win by GnP, but I seriously doubt that fight would ever materialize.

nhl411

Guru
the biggest problem for gsp in that fight would size..gsp walks around at 185-190 anderson has said he walks around at as much as 214: he's one of the biggest middleweights out there he just doesn't look like it because of his height.

guest301

Hall of Famer
If GSP's history means anything. GSP would lose the first fight to Silva but win the rematch.
smiley2.gif
Examples being his fights with Hughes and Serra.

patriot

Guru
The fight I want to see is Shane Carwin's UFC debut. He brings his 8-0 record in against veterian Christian Wellisch. At 6'5 256lb Carwin is a beast. Lets hope he looks impressive.