Shane Cameron is a warrior

aussie101

The Last fight on the undercard of the Mundine/Soliman fight was between Shane "the mountain warrior" Cameron and Bob Mirovic. Shane Cameron was defending his Pan Pacific and Pan African Heavyweight Championship belts. I was looking forward to seeing the mountain warrior's fight more than the Mundine/Soliman fight. Well Shane came out blazing hurting mirovic in the opening round. (The same Bob Mirovic that went the distance with Sinan Samil Sam only 4 months ago).

Unfortunately shane broke his hand in the first round. The very next round Shane was caught with what was ruled an incidental head but opening up agaping gash over his right eye.Shane's cutman should be given heaps of credit because it was one nasty gash thatwas about 2 inches long.

With shane having his power hand incapacitated, and a ever growing gaping wound above his eyehe started togo to work. Basically using only his left hand to fighthe started to go to work. Then in the eighth round BAM! Out of no where a left hook landed cleanly and looked as though it nearly broke Bob Mirovic's neck.

Mirovic is agood solid journeyman. The following is a list of the fighters whom were unable to knock him out:

Nicolai Valuev Lost UD

Sinan Samil Sam Lost UD

Timo Hoffman&nbsp ; Lost UD

When Bob Mirovic was interviewed after the fight he said "this kid is one of the hardest punchers I have ever fought."

The international community may not know a whole lot about Shane Cameron now, but I believe in less than two years most boxing fans will learn. Am I trying to say that he's unstoppable because he beat a solid Journeyman? No. But the Speed, athleticism, power (with his off hand) and pure toughness he showed impressed me alot. Besides he looks alot like Tommy Morrison in the face.

Read more and see a pic:

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/411749/1016364

Bunnyman

Guru
He does look like Morrison! Almost the same size too (though a bit bigger than Tommy). I hear he is angling for a fight with Tua. That would be big in your neck of the woods. Would there be any trouble between Samoans and whites in Australia/New Zealand if this fight took place?

aussie101

The Tua fight would be huge. I think if they fight that Tua's come back would come to a screeching halt. Tua knows this and has thus far declined to fight Shane. As for the trouble that might ensue I am not for certain. The Pacific Islanders generally speaking don't cause much trouble. They get a little goofy when they get pissed on the juice but when they are are sober they are pretty calm people. They are much different than say your African populace ( who seem to riot andreek havoc for little or nothing)in the States. Rarely do you see them in big numbers. But in regards to shane I really like the guy. He is very humble and just an all-around class act. What impresses me the most about him is not so much his ability to knock someone out with either hand, but the speed at which he operates. He has yet to be tested on the Elite level but i think he will do just fine. I don't know if he has what it takes to defeat the elite Heavyweights such as the Klitschko Bros, but I would say that from what I can see all other Heavyweights would be in for a war. I.E. the level of a Sultan Ibragimov, or a Sergei Lyakovich. One thing is for certain, He is gonna make for some interesting matchups.

The Problem that many of or best Aussie/New Zealander fighters have is finding quality opposition to square off against. I think it hampers the development of the fighter as you see alot of mismatches in our fights down here. In shane's case he has busted up all of the best that Australia, and New Zealand have to offer with the exception of tua, and Meehan. In my humble opinion Cameron would knock Meehan out within 6, and defeat Tua by a huge margin on points or a late 10th or 11th round knockout. I think it's time for him to eitherget it on with Tua, and if Tua continues to run then Shane has no choice in my humble opinion than to go to the States and put his name on the map.

white is right

Hall of Famer
One weird thing Australia has some depth at 168/175. Yes Aussie/Kiwi heavies have no competition so there growth can be stunted if they stay in their countries. That's probably why Tua left for the US at 20. How old is this prospect?Edited by: white is right

aussie101

Shane Cameron is 29 years old I believe. However he did not start fighting pro until 25. So in terms of experience he only has 4 years experience at the professional level.

Your right about the 168/175 class. Danny has since moved up to light heavy though so we will see what he can do there. There is also talk of Soliman going back down to his original fighting weight of junior middleweight. And still more talk of Mundine dropping to middle in hopes of fighting Winky Wright. It should be an interesting year for fight fans here.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
New Zealand heavyweight Shane Cameron (20-1) knocked out black American Jonathan Haggler (18-2) today.

Haggler went down and was counted out by the referee in the 6th round.

smiley32.gif

I was a bit disappointed in Shane's last outing against Friday Ahunanya. He was TKO'd in the last round. Very disappointed I was. He looked pretty good in the fight. However he got caught with a bomb with about 2 minutes to go in the fight. Anyway, I am a big fan of the mountain warrior and am very happy to see him knockout Haggler.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Shane Cameron won today by 5th round TKO, over his 6'5" American opponent Kevin Montiy.

Sean

Mentor
Nice to see Shane back on the winning track.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Shane Cameron (now 22-1) won a UD today over African-American Terry Smith (now 30-6-1), who was knocked down twice during the fight.

Blue Devils

Mentor
Cameron vs Tua is on!

From Fightnews

Heavyweights Shane "Mountain Warrior" Cameron (22 -1, 19 KOs) and
David Tua (49-3-1, 42 KOs) have agreed to fight later on this year. Both
have signed contracts with promotions company Duco. Ian Fraser, one
time head of Television New Zealand, has joined forces with Duco to
squeeze as much revenue out of the fight that's being called "The Fight
of the Century". Tua still holds the honor of bringing in the most viewers
to a sporting event in New Zealand history. Over one million New
Zealanders tuned in to see his failed attempt to dethrone long time
champ Lennox Lewis. Duco have yet to set out a venue and date and both
Cameron and Tua are both expected to have tune-up bouts, so in all
likelihood their showdown will take place around July or August.

Cameron is taking a warm up bout on March 7 against journeyman Leo
Nolan. This fight is scheduled to take place in Cameron's hometown of
Gisborne. Written into Cameron's contract is that he must win this fight in
order of the fight with Tua to go ahead.

Tua is looking at a warm up fight that could take place in either Samoa
(Tua's place of birth) or Tua's New Zealand base of South Auckland. It is
not clear if Tua's contract contains the same must-win clause as
Cameron's.

Both men have come forward styles and share 64 knockouts between
them. Both are known to be hittable, however Cameron in his career has
shown a propensity to cut and be hurt by opponents with much less pop
than the famed power of Tua. So should it come to a slug out in a dug
out, one would expect Tua to win given his set of whiskers has withstood
a much higher caliber of opponents.

That said, Cameron is renowned for his work ethic in the gym and should
he turn up and move Tua from corner to corner and drag the fight into
deep water he could make a contest of it.

Even though months away this fight is garnering big attention from the
New Zealand public and for both is a crossroads fight given Cameron
ranked number eight by the WBO is putting his regional belts on the line.
Should he lose he will drop down the pecking order and for Tua he has
much to gain given he isn't ranked by any of the major bodies and has
been largerly inactive due to matters of litigation pertaining to his former
managers.

Blue Devils

Mentor
Cameron stopped Robert Davis in 11

From fightnews

New Zealand heavyweight Shane Cameron (22-1, 19 KOs) of New Zealand stopped journeyman heavyweight Robert Davis (32-9, 20 KOs) in the 11th round on Friday night at the Rugby Park, Gisborne, New Zealand. The win set up an all-New Zealand heavyweight superfight between Cameron and former world title challenger David Tua in June. Cameron came into the fight not carrying the bulk fans are accustomed to seeing and looked leaner then he has in quite some time. It may be that he is cutting down on weight to be lighter on his feet and he will need to be given he is facing the heavy hitting Tua on his next outing. Cameron didn't come out with his accustomed sustained pressure and instead fought steadily and that may have been due to trying to put some rounds in the bank for the Tua fight. Davis was reluctant to exchange and throw down with Cameron. Cameron the busier fighter was stacking up the rounds and by round four he was starting to wear down the visibly bigger Davis. By the 8th round it became apparent that Cameron had deflated the fight out of Davis and he was simply trying to hang on. In the 11th round Cameron stung Davis with a big right then threw everything but the kitchen sink into a barrage of punches and the ref decided he had seen enough and waived the fight off. Cameron known to cut was cut via a head clash in the bout. David Tua and with his granite laden jaw and noted power shapes as a great fight between New Zealand's two premiere heavies.

Blue Devils

Mentor
[tube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek1tPnCBLdw[/tube]

[tube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF0_T6ZMJmU[/tube]

[tube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGgqaXZyZfQ[/tube]

white is right

Hall of Famer
Anybody have a feed for this fight? I wouldn't mind seeing this one it could be explosive while it lasts.

Blue Devils

Mentor
Tua stopped Cameron in two rounds. Tua had him down twice in the first and then finished him early in round two.

I kinda expected this outcome because Cameron's a slugger and in order for him to get his shots off he would have to be in Tua's punching range and avoid getting tagged for all twelve rounds.

WBA #3 rated Kali Meehan has issued a challenge to face Tua. I would have preferred to have seen Cameron-Meehan. I think Cameron matches up better with him than Tua. Edited by: Blue Devils

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
smiley18.gif
Here's the fight on YouTube:

Tua-Cameron

And here's a much better quality video for download:

Tua-Cameron download

Tua hit Cameron twice while he was down, he could have lost by disqualification.

Hopefully we'll see Meehan-Tua in the months to come.

Westside

Hall of Famer
If Tua meet Meehan, I suspect the same thing will happean. To beat Tua one has to fight tall and constantly use a jab for 12 rounds. Just like Lennox did back years ago. He made Tue look like a club fighter.

Now if he fought the Klitsiskos, they would have the same effect on him.

Westside

Hall of Famer
I think Tua can best be used as a device to permanently destroy the Fat f..k Toney. That would be a fight that I would pay to see.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Westside said:
I think Tua can best be used as a device to permanently destroy the Fat f..k Toney. That would be a fight that I would pay to see.

Yes, it would be nice to see the loud-mouthed thug James Toney get KOed.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Tua is a good fighter. He could beat alot of current heavyweights. I think he would beat Meehan in a fight as well.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Tua looks sensational if he ko's you early. But stick a jab in his face and he looks ordinary at best. He would have zero chance against Vitali and only a remote punchers chance against Wlad. I would give him a good shot at beating Haye and a Valuev fight would be the funniest fight of all time..
smiley2.gif

white is right said:
Tua looks sensational if he ko's you early. But stick a jab in his face and he looks ordinary at best. He would have zero chance against Vitali and only a remote punchers chance against Wlad. I would give him a good shot at beating Haye and a Valuev fight would be the funniest fight of all time..
smiley2.gif
As i recall they tryed to make the fight with waldimir..but tua backed out.i believe it was after wald beat byrd for the first time.the fight was for the ring magazine's #1ranking. so it was a big fight.and tua backed out!so if tua ducked wald in 2003 dont look for tua vs a klitschko in the futureEdited by: lost