senior bowl practice report

psychosid

it seems that eric weddle is opening some eyes this week in practice, even castewhore mike mayock said that scouts have been "surprised" by his speed and ...lol his loose hips. so i think this is good news, i think he will get a good long look at corner, at this point, with his impressive showing this week, all he needs to do is break 4.5 in the 40 and i think he will be drafted as a cornerback. Secondly, mayock made what i feel is a very profound statment concerning brian leonard. leonard weighed in at 225lbs, and mayock said he did this on pourpose, that this his his way of sending a message that he wants to be a tailback! way to go brian, about time you grew some balls!! this would end up being a fantastic draft, if weddle & leonard both get drafted in the first round, weddle as a corner and leonard as a tailback....damm ihope so.

psychosid said:
Mayock made what i feel is a very profound statment concerning brian leonard. leonard weighed in at 225lbs, and Mayock said he did this on pourpose, that this his his way of sending a message that he wants to be a tailback! way to go Brian, about time you grew some balls!! this would end up being a fantastic draft, if Weddle & leonard both get drafted in the first round, Weddle as a corner and Leonard as a tailback....damm ihope so.
I have emailed Brian in the past at http://brianleonard23.com informing him of this website, and to continue to pursue and live his dream at RB instead of wasting away as a NFL caste throwaway at FB.

ocaamikedm11

Mentor
The two white DEs from Nebraska, Jay Moore and Adam Carriker, have dominated in the practices. Joe Staley is having a good outing and so is Ryan Kalil along the offensive line. I hear Piscatelli and Wendling may have been added to the roster, can anyone confirm? As already stated, Weddle has been very impressive thus far. I use nfldraftcountdown.com as my source of draft info as well as the draftdaddy.com blog we he have all come to love here on this site. I suggest checking them both out to see how the whites have done thus far in the practices.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I just heard NFL Network's Mike Mayock describe LT Levi Brown as "having the size of a sumo and the feet of a ballerina." I only saw one of Mayock's hands as he said this so I wonder what the other one was doing.

Mayock is a Kiper wannabe. Every year he's the NFL Network's dominant announcer during the Combine and leading up to the Draft, and he can always be counted on to go along with the Caste program when it comes to stereotyping and slotting.

whiteCB

Master
Don Wassall said:
I just heard NFL Network's Mike Mayock describe LT Levi Brown as "having the size of a sumo and the feet of a ballerina." I only saw one of Mayock's hands as he said this so I wonder what the other one was doing.

Mayock is a Kiper wannabe. Every year he's the NFL Network's dominant announcer during the Combine and leading up to the Draft, and he can always be counted on to go along with the Caste program when it comes to stereotyping and slotting.

Good Call Don. I was watching Maylock the other day and I was like who the hell does this "Know it all" remind me of. Oh yeah it's Mel Kiper Jr.! Here's another guy who never played a down of football in his life and now he's a draft "expert". Well actually it doesn't take much to be a draft "expert". Just know a couple rules:
1. Black players are better than white ones(except kicker, punter, and long snapper)
2. Always try to include a couple token white guys in your 1st Rd grade. As somehow a couple white guys always manage to get picked in the 1st Rd.

backrow

Hall of Famer
draftdaddy.com -

"Rutgers running back Brian Leonard is listed by ESPN's NFL Draft guru Mel Kiper as a second-round prospect, but with a good game today, Leonard could leap into the first round of the N.F.L. Draft."

smiley32.gif

"Defensively, Nebraska defensive end Adam Carriker continues to prove his is in a different tier of talent than his opposition and has beaten all comers handily. Carriker made a nifty play forcing a fumble in 11-on-11 drills that Utah cornerback Eric Weddle made an athletic play to recover. In drills, Carriker was loudly encouraged by North head coach Jon Gruden to really go after the simulated QB bag, Carriker responded by hitting the bag so hard that the QB's; (actually just a pad) flew right off. "Edited by: backrow

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Congratulations to the South team for starting 21 blacks. Only center Dustin Fry is white on offense or defense.
smiley11.gif

After Brian Leonard made a nifty catch and run on 4th and 7, Mayock remarked how Leonard is down to 224 pounds. Dick Vermeil immediately stated that Leonard needs to get up to 240, because "every NFL team needs a fullback." Caste System gurus Mayock and Rich Eisen patiently explained to Vermeil that Leonard thinks of himself as more than just a fullback. Marc Boerigter and anyother white playernot playing QB or o-line never had a chance with Vermeil as his coach.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
You can always count on the Southern plantation bosses, uh head coaches, to play as many blacks as they can.
smiley5.gif

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
I actually think Mayock was a DB for the Giants in the early 80's. Honestly he seems to be fair and balanced, he is high on Brian Leonard. Im sure if there were more white players allowed actually invited to the senior bowl he would be fair with them.

whiteCB

Master
Don Wassall said:
Congratulations to the South team for starting 21 blacks.  Only center Dustin Fry is white on offense or defense. 
smiley11.gif

After Brian Leonard made a nifty catch and run on 4th and 7, Mayock remarked how Leonard is down to 224 pounds.  Dick Vermeil immediately stated that Leonard needs to get up to 240, because "every NFL team needs a fullback."  Caste System gurus Mayock and Rich Eisen patiently explained to Vermeil that Leonard thinks of himself as more than just a fullback.  Marc Boerigter and any other white player not playing QB or o-line never had a chance with Vermeil as his coach.  <!-- Message ''"" -->

Oh good'ol Dick! The name says it all!
smiley32.gif

ocaamikedm11

Mentor
Don Wassall said:
Congratulations to the South team for starting 21 blacks.  Only center Dustin Fry is white on offense or defense. 
smiley11.gif

<!-- Message ''"" -->

There is a reason the North won 27-0.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
i went back and watched the game on Tivo, and it was better the second time around.

Brian had 5 carries for 18 yards and the one catch for 13. but those numbers are misleading if not taken in context...

his first touch was a dive on 4th & 2 inside the 20, and he ran over Patrick Willis to gain 6 yards. he picked up the first down. even Mayock was excited by the play.

his second touch was a reception in the flat on 4th & 7... he juked the corner out of his shoes then ended the run-after-catch by lowering his shoulder and running through the safety for 13. he picked up the first down. Mayock commented, saying, "look at the nimble feet for the big man." which began the following discussion with Vermeil when he commented about Brian losing weight...

"Keep it up, because there aren't many fullbacks," said Vermeil.

"Plus, he doesn't want to be a fullback," interjected Rich Eisen as Vermeil droned on.

"That's exactly it, Rich," added Mayock.

"Too much competition at running back," continued Vermeil.

"Leonard isn't a great blocker, but he is a good blocker who understands leverage," pointed out Mayock.

to which Vermeil replied, "Blocking gets better if you get bigger."
that, my friends, is the Caste System at work. even with visual evidence right in front of his face about the versatile talents Brian offers, the NFL coach still only saw skin color. white = fullback.

now to continue with Brian's performance...

his third touch was a dive on 3rd & 2. he gained 3 and picked up the first down.

later in the drive, he had a dive on 1st & goal from the 4, where he picked up 1 yard.

his only two other touches came on back to back carries. on 1st & 10, he picked up 8 off guard after breakiing a tackle in the backfield.

then on 2nd & 2, he was hit in the backfield but managed to get back to the line of scrimmage for no loss on the play.

i thought it was an impressive performance, under the circumstances and considering the conservative plays called when he got his chances. he played a lot in the one-back set, but never got a carry. he didn't get thrown to either, despite being open on several plays. he had the misfortune of playing when Chris Leak was out there for the North, who was easily the least effective QB on their roster.

also, did anyone catch the sideline interview with Nebraska defensive end Adam Carriker. (he dominated all week.) they asked if he thought he had overcome perceptions that he lacked athleticism. he replied, "I knew i was an athlete. I have speed and quickness, as well as strength. They saw that."
smiley32.gif

Nebraska players really stood out in the game. defensive ends, Carriker and Jay Moore looked good, and LB Stewart Bradley impressed, as well.