Sean Sherk's Hardcore Training

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
I watched UFC All-Access with Sean Sherk the other night. I was incredibly impressed with the uncanny work ethic and discipline of Sean Sherk. His diet and training regime was beyond insane. His cardio training alone looked excruciating, and his "caveman training" and super-clean diet...very tough indeed! Add that he's a good, clean-cut family man, and I've got even more respect for the man. I hope he destroys Franca!

P.S. - I suggest ya'll watch the replay of UFC All-Access on 07/05 @ Midnight EST on Spike.

***FYI, here's the Sherdog thread on Sherk's training....

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?t=598040Edited by: DixieDestroyer

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Sorry I missed it. I'm going to his website, see if I can download the vid.

You ever heard of the 'All Access curse?' That guys who appear on the show lose their next fight? Babalu and Arlovski are the two that come to mind, but I think Chuck was on the show also and didn't lose until a few fights later. Edited by: White Shogun

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
G

DixieDestroyer said:
Irregardless of juicing, Sherk still busts his @$$ & diets SUPER clean.

Dude, it's over. He's a drug user.

You automatically stop applauding a caught drug user. There is no if, and, or but about it.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
nevada said:
DixieDestroyer said:

You automatically stop applauding a caught drug user. There is no if, and, or but about it.

I'm not applauding the man's choices, just that degree of work ethic & discipline. Steroids aren't some "magic potion"...you still have to bust @$$ for results. Don't get me wrong....I don't justify/condone his drug use, BUT I do still admire that work ethic. Very few MMA fighters (much less regular folks), have that kind of discipline. That's the point I was trying to make.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
nevada said:
DixieDestroyer said:

Key word 'caught?' Name some guys that you think aren't juicing.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
WS, Good point indeed. If I had to guess...I'd say about 80-90% of NFL players, 45-75% MLB, 35-60% NBA & 65-85% of MMA fighters (UFC/Pride, Bodog, IFL) are juicing. Some possible MMA exceptions might be guys like Eric "Butterbean" Esch, Wesley "Cabbage" Corriera, etc.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
It wouldn't surprise me though if Cabbage and Butterbean were juicing, either. A guy's physique isn't always a dead give away: see Tim Sylvia, James Toney, and Stephan Bonnar, et al. Let's just say these guys aren't elite physical specimens, lol. They use them to recover quickly in order to train harder and more often.

Sure, it's disappointing that Sherk uses and got caught.. but honestly, looking at him and his training, the thought already crossed my mind that he was on steroids anyway. I still like the guy, still want to see him compete, and hope he comes back from the suspension and does well.

G

White Shogun said:
Key word 'caught?' Name some guys that you think aren't juicing.

Of course the key is that he was caught. What else needs to happen?

I'm not interested in speculating about who might be on drugs. The drug testing in UFC is a lot more serious than in other sports. The cheaters get caught on a regular basis. UFC does not slap wrists like other sports. They strip champions and suspend fighters immediately. You can have a win changed into a no contest just for smoking marijuana or snorting cocaine. It's refreshing to see harsh treatment for drug users.

If we were talking football or baseball, you guys would be bringing the hammer down with no mercy. The hypocrisy here is not encouraging.Edited by: nevada

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
nevada said:
If we were talking football or baseball, you guys would be bringing the hammer down with no mercy. The hypocrisy here is not encouraging.

Who is this 'you guys' you're referring to? I'd be surprised if you found one post of mine that commented negatively on the use of drugs in sports, unless it's about the disparity of treatment received by whites in comparison to blacks who are caught using or committed other crimes.

I'm not opposed to drug testing, nor the fines and / or suspensions that are issued after a positive test. It's part of the rules and should be enforced, albeit evenly and in a fair manner. But I personally find all the emotional anguish and hand-wringing over the issue a bit much.

G

Here's where you people can finally get level playing field, take enough hormones and you can be somewhat competitive.

"You people"?
smiley36.gif
Last time I checked whites were dominating MMA. (and boxing as of late). That must bother your fragile black ego.