Ryan Varner

bigman

Guru
Talent doesnt come any greater than this in HS...Jr in Texas at 4A champs running a 21flat...

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Thanks for the update bigman.If you here of any more
h.s. kids,let us know.Obiviously,that is where Wariner
came from.There is alot of speed in Texas.That state
has always excelled in both track & football.

surfsider

Guru
Seeing the picture of the 4 lads my wife said it looked like a photo from the 50's. I said that that was what sprinting often looked like in the 50's. I think that Wariner's success is starting to have an effect especially in his part of the country. White guys are allowing themselves to think that they can be competitive in sprinting! It will be interesting to follow some of these guys and see what kind of collegiate offers they get. Will they be brought into the SEC, Big 12 and SWC or will they have to go the Andrew Rock route?

SteveB

Mentor
Good News! Ryan is running for Texas Tech. He has run 21.99 sec 200m indoors this season, which isn't too bad for a freshman. He ran a 22.14 in the Big 12 Indoor Championship, but didn't qualify for the final. Good luck in the outdoor season.

SteveB

Mentor
Ryan is coming on strong early in the outdoor season. He finished 3rd in the 200m at the Wes Kittley Open in Lubbock this past weekend. He ran a 21.11 with a 2.0 wind in his heat. Second place ran a 21.00 with a 3.5 wind in another heat, so he may have gotten second if he would have ran head to head. That is an excellent time for this early. I can see Ryan going 20.8-20.9 this season. Good luck to him!